ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti and 2080 1440p Preview @ [H]

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

Look forward to the full review :>. Though from that preview, the 2080TI Strix looks like a good upgrade over the 1080ti, too bad the price is so out of whack.

2. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Yes, and we are sorry that the first preview we did is not exactly the way the you wanted it.

Armenius likes this.
  3. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Very nice preview, numbers actually seems better than expected. So real testing actually gives real results one can ponder on. keep up the great work.

4. Neon01

Neon01 Gawd

Pretty easy to assume a small difference potential between FE and Strix... Only thing that's really going to matter is OC vs OC, and there should be a very minimal difference there.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  5. Kyle_Bennett

We are not getting cards yet from AIBs due to being blacklisted by NVIDIA for GPP and subsequently not signing their 5 year NDA. I would not expect any huge roundups from up. We have already spent $4300 on RTX cards.

Armenius, DrezKill, harmattan and 4 others like this.
  6. CoreStoffer

CoreStoffer Limp Gawd

This is childish bullshit behaviour from nVidia and/or AIBs as the NDA for the RTX cards has come and gone. The cards are released in full; time to move on from this crap for nVidia.

Armenius and Dudhunter like this.
  7. Dudhunter

Dudhunter n00bie

CA89C2F4-3080-4534-855A-AA6C8C5AF774.gif

Fucking Jensen, Man.

Armenius, wrangler and revenant like this.
  8. YARDofSTUF

YARDofSTUF [H]ard|Gawd

The more I see about these new cards, the more interested I'm getting in a 1080 Ti. I'm happy with a 1080p resolution.

9. Kyle_Bennett

1080 Ti at 1080p would be a beast for sure.

10. -=SOF=-WID99

-=SOF=-WID99 Limp Gawd

thank you Kyle and HARDOCP you have made up my mind ..your the best guys ..i'll stick to saving up for a new GTX 1080 ti for now ..since i only game in 1080 P ..some old games in 1440 P no i do not need a RTX card yet but the number speak well for RTX 2080 ..i don't think i need one for at least another year ..and by then i'll have a new mainboard \ CPU and case and PSU

11. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

"While many other sites have tested performance across the 4K spectrum, we feel 1440p has sort of gotten the raw deal this generation"
    I have to totally agree. While I love playing Shadow of Tomb Raider in 4k/HDR for the sheer amount of contrast detail I still go back to 1440p/g-sync to enjoy that smooth higher FPS experience. My 1080TI rig is connected to a 1440p/g-sync monitor and I can say I pretty much got the same numbers, maybe 5-8 fps higher because of OC, using the same settings except for turning off blur and flares. It did drive the card hard enough that it needed the fans at full to maintain 2012-25MHZ. First time I've seen that in a game.

15376294397bs6onijqf_3_2.png

I've gotten this more than a few times on both rigs. I'm mainly attributing it on both to being heavily OC'd but could also just be crash happy engine awaiting more patches to help it out. I'm really impressed with the engine overall. Threw everything including the kitchen sink into it-DX12/SLI/3d/HDR/and improved threaded support. Considering all that and minor stability issues are a miracle.

Last gen I said that the 1080TI shined at 1440p, here we see it continue with new gens.

edit: Just wanted to mention V-ram usage. I know it's business as usual with games using what you give 'em and this game series is no exception. Found it hilarious watching it eat 5-7GB in 1440p with these settings.

12. Neon01

Neon01 Gawd

Fantastic review btw. Kudos to our hosts. I'm somewhat shocked that these results don't quite seem to line up with many of the other reviews I have been seeing (favouring the 2080 a bit more than if seen elsewhere), but I trust HOCP implicitly. Suppose some of this gap could also be the Strix - FE difference, as mentioned by others.

Curious to see what the trends look like at UHD. Assume much the same but perhaps favoring the Ti cards with more memory a bit more.

13. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Wanted to say thanks again and also it was awesome to see KCD in the list. Truly a game to bring down even the mightiest of GPU giants. Out of the 1-2 dozen reviews I've read on this gen so far, this might be the only I've seen that speak of using truly maxed settings. Most sites are dancing around items like, smaax2 or 4, sliders, etc., beyond presets. For nearly twenty years I've been the kind of person goes in and cranks it all to 11 first just to see what the game might offer.

Armenius likes this.
  14. Kyle_Bennett

The whole real-world gaming thing comes in, and then on top of that, if you look at most of Brent's run-throughs, those are not quick either. I was reading a review today and the guy writing it was bitching about the canned benchmark he was using being almost 3 minutes long and thought that was excessive. Lulz.

15. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

Thanks for the preview guys! Can we do a max clocks comparison, the older FE cards will be at a cooling disadvantage but still interesting to see, wanna see if that 1080ti can close the gap, Kyle we need your Poseidon for this!

aldamon likes this.
  16. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

I have my NVLink already, straight from Nvidia. I also pre-ordered 2 Ti's from Nvidia, which will come who knows when, but they let me order 2.

RTXLinkUnbox.jpg

dvsman, Armenius, heatlesssun and 2 others like this.
  17. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

Those are insane framerates. AMD is so silent, it's like... they are up to something...

18. tissimo

tissimo Limp Gawd

We can only hope.

Armenius and DrezKill like this.
  19. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Yea, up to writing up a report explaining how their next release is more than a year out.

I anticipate this happen more often with more websites as time goes on. Is Nvidia asking for their review sample back this time around? I'm just wondering how they could make this release suck even more...

insane NDA
    short turn around for reviewers
    blackballing
    forced nice writing

Well, I can confirm that a 1080 is a beast at 1080p, sure the 1080ti would be even more wasted at that resolution.

20. renz496

renz496 Limp Gawd

but in a way it is better for reviewer to buy their own card. even AIB start using custom BIOS that is not given with the retail unit so they can get favorable score from reviewer. some of them might even send the "golden sample".

DrezKill and CoreStoffer like this.
  21. renz496

renz496 Limp Gawd

1440p definitely going to impose CPU bottleneck on 2080ti. i've seen the pattern with TPU result. the gap between 2080 and 2080ti widen at 4k. and that's using 8700K @ 4.8Ghz. and then it makes me thinking. some people are disappointed that the 2080ti is not 60% faster than 1080ti (like how it was with 1080ti vs 980ti). but if 2080ti really end up that fast there probably no CPU in the world can keep up with 2080ti let alone a pair of them in SLI. i think we finally reach to that point: even the fastest CPU having hard time to keep up with the fastest GPU.

22. Zuul

Zuul Gawd

lol at the 290x jetengine posts...345w haha

23. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Make sure to turn on DSR in the nVidia control panel to burn the leftover FPS. Makes 1080p look pretty good, way better than you’d imagine. Just turn down smoothing to 15% or less. You then set the game resolution higher and it downscales to your native resolution.

A 2080 might be up your alley for ray tracing. Sounds like you don’t buy GPUs very often. Could be worth the splurge. ;) Maybe wait for the [H] review on DLSS and Ray Tracing.

Trimlock likes this.
  24. Icon_Charlie

Icon_Charlie [H]Lite

Thank you for your review. With yours as well as others reviewers and the two years of going down the rabbit hole because of the crypto mining craze, you can see why I loathe Nvidia. It's not the fact I can not afford it their video cards. Far from it. It is the fact of the price manipulation that is going on right now. The pricing of cards are stuck on stupid. They are priced based on their performance from each other. And the pricing of the 10 series is based on the performance of the 20 series (the 2080 video card) cards.

The 1080ti new... Should generally be priced between between $530.00 to 560.00 than they are now. You have a 2 year old, overstock video card that is priced generally at $650.00... Less then 10% off of the MSRP. This is not a classic car. This is not something of value. This is the raping of their customer base and something I don't want any part of. Because I don't give my hard earn cash to Fake Trailer Queen CEO's who thinks a leather jacket will make him tough????

Because of the high pricing. The Pre order con. The current price manipulation on all video cards in question, I believe will give console gaming systems a boost in sales.

It did during the crypto craze, there is no reason why the current con of price fixing will do the same today.

Again Thank you for the Review Mr. Bennett as it indeed shows in my case how "meh".... the 20 series cards are.

Dudhunter likes this.
  25. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

The more I think about it, the worse I feel about the 20XX series, it just came right at the end of so many technologies (at least it got early GDDR6). With 7nm right around the corner, PCIe 4.0 (as Turing is already showing it is bottlenecked at PCIe 3.0 8X/8X) im sure GDDR6 speeds are gonna ramp as well , and finally ray tracing game development in its infancy...All coupled with the massive price hike, just doesn't add up for this generation. Nvidia milking their loyal fans for a stop gap generation. 20XX series will be the redheaded stepchild no one loves, wait for the refresh. If you cant do that at least wait and see what performance a ray traced game is going to give you and if you can live with it. Going from 4K to 1080p doesnt seem worth it to me...

26. Ferris23

Ferris23 Gawd

This is exactly what I just did.

27. Neon01

Neon01 Gawd

For all you guys jumping on 1080tis, you may consider waiting. Most people upgrading them to 2080tis haven't gotten them yet, and I would expect a small glut of 1080tis on the market when that happens, potentially driving down cost somewhat.

28. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

It's a good read. Even this quick preview is better than most sites "full" reviews.

I look forward to seeing full tests, conclusions and 4k results!

Dudhunter, lostin3d and DrezKill like this.
  29. MrDeaf

MrDeaf Limp Gawd

I'm on the fence, since I would be coming from a 1070Ti.
    A 2080 would definitely be a big upgrade, however the price is hiked up to match the increase in performance over a 1080Ti.

With the price/performance ratio of the 2080 and 2080Ti and the complete lack of any ray tracing games, they might as well have called these the 1090 and 1090Ti.
    Or they could have stuck to the GTX 1180 and GTX 1180Ti

30. LostMF1

LostMF1 n00bie

awesome preview, thank you. currently playing at 1440p w/1080ti and this preview of the strix 2080ti has me more intrigued about the technology and performance... when I thought it'd be the reverse. Is anyone playing at 1440p upgrading to a 2080ti from a 1080ti?

31. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Gawd

I'm sure some are. I'm sure as hell not. Haven't had a problem running anything at 140+ fps, you just have to be flexible on the settings.

32. LostMF1

LostMF1 n00bie

i'm in the same boat as you and that will probably keep me away from the 20 series. what CPU are you running and at what clock? It's interesting to see the CPU as a bottleneck at 1440p.

33. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Gawd

8700K @ 4.8ghz. That 7700K @ 5ghz they used in the review probably wouldn't bottleneck me in almost any of the games I play though. In fact I just checked, I have played none of those games.

LostMF1 likes this.
  34. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

I am sure they had the high end 1080TI's for more then a couple days.

35. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

I get this constantly with directx 12 on in Shadows with videocards at stock. Second I turn DX12 off and set everything to ultra it works great. There is a bug.

lostin3d likes this.
  36. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the preview Brent. I appreciate you skipping your slumber for 48 hours to make this preview happen!

lostin3d likes this.
  37. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Couldn't agree with you more. The FE 1080ti comparisons are getting on my nerves too. Outside of those who put custom water loops them I really doubt how many were purchased vs. AIB numbers. I know it's not the same for the RTX's but with Pascal the FE's were like a base model 4 cylinder vs. the turbo/supercharged version AIB version. Don't normally care about brand specific comparisons but the Strix of pascal was one of the best of all. I've yet to see a Strix vs. Strix comparison and I'm highly interested. Even rarer is OC'd Strix vs. OC'd Strix which would be even cooler since these cards OC'd so well on air.

I still have to give props to Brent, Kyle and the team for all the hard work. My wife could tell you how obsessed I get with my own rigs and testing for various reasons and the many hours doing so. We could all nitpick the details but in the end it is work, even with passion, and takes a lot of time. I can barely imagine the constant tear-down, re-installs, updates, etc. for each test not to mention calibrating various monitoring equipment. All the excitement we all get for new gen releases but also all the time in researching them. I've probably got 20+ hours just in the last week or two just reading reviews and threads and watching some vids.

38. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle_Bennett Brent_Justice great preview guys, looking forward to seeing additional numbers as time allows.

I also had a laugh about the delays in getting the RTX features enabled in Tomb Raider and the Battlefield delay. It's not quite the same as a new console launching without any games, but it's pretty close IMO. It kind of reminds me of the GeForce 3 launch that way - the cards came out and everyone was testing DX7 or OpenGL games, or canned benchmarks (myself included) and it really took a while before all the newer shaders started getting used in games. By the time they were more widespread, the GeForce 4 cards were out. Wondering if we'll see the same situation here - if NVIDIA pulls a fast one on everyone, and Turing is just these three cards, with "Turing 2" coming in 2019 (maybe on 7nm?) providing a further performance increase just in time for the first wave of games that are really going to use RT.

I appreciate the testing in 1440p - really shows that we're starting to approach some CPU bottlenecks at lower resolutions for the high end cards. (Also, it's kind of weird to think of 2560x1440 as a "lower resolution").

Given that the steam hardware survey currently shows 1080p resolution with 60% of users, I think 1440p is a good place to start. No doubt there will be some looking for 1080p numbers, but there comes a point where you have to question running a $200 monitor with a $1200 video card. :)

The Async compute numbers (I'm assuming that's why Doom and Wolfenstein saw such large increases) are really, really impressive. Too bad that hasn't been as widely adopted. I also don't recall seeing much of a gain enabling it in Wolfenstein for the Vega cards, unless that has changed since last year?

Most of the rest of the performance increases seem to be about "as expected" - 2080 averages faster than a 1080ti, I would expect 2070 to average faster than a 1080, as per NVIDIA's usual M.O.; I wonder if that "step up" will continue with the rest of the 20xx series (assuming there is a rest of the series).

39. Droc

Droc 2[H]4U

Truth. I know a guy who works minimum wage and just got the fancy new iphone. In Canada it clocked him just a hair under $2,000. This was replacing his broken iphone X

40. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Gawd

it's fast, the only reason I think Nvidia put up that NDA fiasco is with the inconsistency of the performance gains (from 30 - 61% on non TI , etc). It just makes you think that they know the new generation is too expensive for those numbers. If I had the extra resources to buy those(and I'm bored), I'd buy it just too stay on the edge. But quite frankly it is just too expensive for my tastes.