ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti and 2080 1440p Preview @ [H]

Understanding this borked release has placed massive time constraints on you all, I think why this is such a sticking point with us is that according to this very site, the single-fan, blower-style 1080 TI FE only boosted to average of 1781MHz, which is pathetic compared to just about every other 1080 TI on the market. It's obvious NVIDIA stepped up its game with the RTX FE and its dual-fan cooling. I'd be surprised if the boost gap between FE and third-party cards is as large this time around. 1080 TI FE vs Strix RTX muddies the water even more.
Yes, and we are sorry that the first preview we did is not exactly the way the you wanted it.

Very nice preview, numbers actually seems better than expected. So real testing actually gives real results one can ponder on. keep up the great work.

Understanding this borked release has placed massive time constraints on you all, I think why this is such a sticking point with us is that according to this very site, the single-fan, blower-style 1080 TI FE only boosted to average of 1781MHz, which is pathetic compared to just about every other 1080 TI on the market. It's obvious NVIDIA stepped up its game with the RTX FE and its dual-fan cooling. I'd be surprised if the boost gap between FE and third-party cards is as large this time around. 1080 TI FE vs Strix RTX muddies the water even more.

Pretty easy to assume a small difference potential between FE and Strix... Only thing that's really going to matter is OC vs OC, and there should be a very minimal difference there.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find out which RTX Ti card has the best combination of low noise and high performance, so if you guys can test the noise when you get around to doing a roundup, that'd be great.
We are not getting cards yet from AIBs due to being blacklisted by NVIDIA for GPP and subsequently not signing their 5 year NDA. I would not expect any huge roundups from up. We have already spent $4300 on RTX cards.

The more I see about these new cards, the more interested I'm getting in a 1080 Ti. I'm happy with a 1080p resolution.

thank you Kyle and HARDOCP you have made up my mind ..your the best guys ..i'll stick to saving up for a new GTX 1080 ti for now ..since i only game in 1080 P ..some old games in 1440 P no i do not need a RTX card yet but the number speak well for RTX 2080 ..i don't think i need one for at least another year ..and by then i'll have a new mainboard \ CPU and case and PSU

"While many other sites have tested performance across the 4K spectrum, we feel 1440p has sort of gotten the raw deal this generation"
I have to totally agree. While I love playing Shadow of Tomb Raider in 4k/HDR for the sheer amount of contrast detail I still go back to 1440p/g-sync to enjoy that smooth higher FPS experience. My 1080TI rig is connected to a 1440p/g-sync monitor and I can say I pretty much got the same numbers, maybe 5-8 fps higher because of OC, using the same settings except for turning off blur and flares. It did drive the card hard enough that it needed the fans at full to maintain 2012-25MHZ. First time I've seen that in a game.

15376294397bs6onijqf_3_2.png

I've gotten this more than a few times on both rigs. I'm mainly attributing it on both to being heavily OC'd but could also just be crash happy engine awaiting more patches to help it out. I'm really impressed with the engine overall. Threw everything including the kitchen sink into it-DX12/SLI/3d/HDR/and improved threaded support. Considering all that and minor stability issues are a miracle.

Last gen I said that the 1080TI shined at 1440p, here we see it continue with new gens.

edit: Just wanted to mention V-ram usage. I know it's business as usual with games using what you give 'em and this game series is no exception. Found it hilarious watching it eat 5-7GB in 1440p with these settings.

Fantastic review btw. Kudos to our hosts. I'm somewhat shocked that these results don't quite seem to line up with many of the other reviews I have been seeing (favouring the 2080 a bit more than if seen elsewhere), but I trust HOCP implicitly. Suppose some of this gap could also be the Strix - FE difference, as mentioned by others.

Curious to see what the trends look like at UHD. Assume much the same but perhaps favoring the Ti cards with more memory a bit more.

Wanted to say thanks again and also it was awesome to see KCD in the list. Truly a game to bring down even the mightiest of GPU giants. Out of the 1-2 dozen reviews I've read on this gen so far, this might be the only I've seen that speak of using truly maxed settings. Most sites are dancing around items like, smaax2 or 4, sliders, etc., beyond presets. For nearly twenty years I've been the kind of person goes in and cranks it all to 11 first just to see what the game might offer.

Thanks for the preview guys! Can we do a max clocks comparison, the older FE cards will be at a cooling disadvantage but still interesting to see, wanna see if that 1080ti can close the gap, Kyle we need your Poseidon for this!

The performance is great however people like myself who want to go SLI immediately on the 2080 cannot even get the NV LINK adapter so why even buy now, on top of that every retailer limits its purchase to 1 unit.
I have my NVLink already, straight from Nvidia. I also pre-ordered 2 Ti's from Nvidia, which will come who knows when, but they let me order 2.

RTXLinkUnbox.jpg

Those are insane framerates. AMD is so silent, it's like... they are up to something...

This is childish bullshit behaviour from nVidia and/or AIBs as the NDA for the RTX cards has come and gone. The cards are released in full; time to move on from this crap for nVidia.

but in a way it is better for reviewer to buy their own card. even AIB start using custom BIOS that is not given with the retail unit so they can get favorable score from reviewer. some of them might even send the "golden sample".

1440p definitely going to impose CPU bottleneck on 2080ti. i've seen the pattern with TPU result. the gap between 2080 and 2080ti widen at 4k. and that's using 8700K @ 4.8Ghz. and then it makes me thinking. some people are disappointed that the 2080ti is not 60% faster than 1080ti (like how it was with 1080ti vs 980ti). but if 2080ti really end up that fast there probably no CPU in the world can keep up with 2080ti let alone a pair of them in SLI. i think we finally reach to that point: even the fastest CPU having hard time to keep up with the fastest GPU.

The more I see about these new cards, the more interested I'm getting in a 1080 Ti. I'm happy with a 1080p resolution.

Make sure to turn on DSR in the nVidia control panel to burn the leftover FPS. Makes 1080p look pretty good, way better than you’d imagine. Just turn down smoothing to 15% or less. You then set the game resolution higher and it downscales to your native resolution.

A 2080 might be up your alley for ray tracing. Sounds like you don’t buy GPUs very often. Could be worth the splurge. ;) Maybe wait for the [H] review on DLSS and Ray Tracing.

The more I think about it, the worse I feel about the 20XX series, it just came right at the end of so many technologies (at least it got early GDDR6). With 7nm right around the corner, PCIe 4.0 (as Turing is already showing it is bottlenecked at PCIe 3.0 8X/8X) im sure GDDR6 speeds are gonna ramp as well , and finally ray tracing game development in its infancy...All coupled with the massive price hike, just doesn't add up for this generation. Nvidia milking their loyal fans for a stop gap generation. 20XX series will be the redheaded stepchild no one loves, wait for the refresh. If you cant do that at least wait and see what performance a ray traced game is going to give you and if you can live with it. Going from 4K to 1080p doesnt seem worth it to me...

For all you guys jumping on 1080tis, you may consider waiting. Most people upgrading them to 2080tis haven't gotten them yet, and I would expect a small glut of 1080tis on the market when that happens, potentially driving down cost somewhat.

I'm on the fence, since I would be coming from a 1070Ti.
A 2080 would definitely be a big upgrade, however the price is hiked up to match the increase in performance over a 1080Ti.

With the price/performance ratio of the 2080 and 2080Ti and the complete lack of any ray tracing games, they might as well have called these the 1090 and 1090Ti.
Or they could have stuck to the GTX 1180 and GTX 1180Ti

awesome preview, thank you. currently playing at 1440p w/1080ti and this preview of the strix 2080ti has me more intrigued about the technology and performance... when I thought it'd be the reverse. Is anyone playing at 1440p upgrading to a 2080ti from a 1080ti?

awesome preview, thank you. currently playing at 1440p w/1080ti and this preview of the strix 2080ti has me more intrigued about the technology and performance... when I thought it'd be the reverse. Is anyone playing at 1440p upgrading to a 2080ti from a 1080ti?

I'm sure some are. I'm sure as hell not. Haven't had a problem running anything at 140+ fps, you just have to be flexible on the settings.

I'm sure some are. I'm sure as hell not. Haven't had a problem running anything at 140+ fps, you just have to be flexible on the settings.
i'm in the same boat as you and that will probably keep me away from the 20 series. what CPU are you running and at what clock? It's interesting to see the CPU as a bottleneck at 1440p.

i'm in the same boat as you and that will probably keep me away from the 20 series. what CPU are you running and at what clock? It's interesting to see the CPU as a bottleneck at 1440p.

8700K @ 4.8ghz. That 7700K @ 5ghz they used in the review probably wouldn't bottleneck me in almost any of the games I play though. In fact I just checked, I have played none of those games.

My only issue is running a Asus Strix RTX against a FE pascal. I know my Strix 1080ti does better than a FE. I feel like this was a prime opportunity to put Strix vs Strix to get a more realistic generational improvement of cards a lot of people wait to buy. My 1080ti Strix is certainly pushing better clocks than those FE cards. I'm sure there was a reason for it, but personally I'd have prefer to see AIB high end cooler version VS the same counterpart.
I am sure they had the high end 1080TI's for more then a couple days.

"While many other sites have tested performance across the 4K spectrum, we feel 1440p has sort of gotten the raw deal this generation"
I have to totally agree. While I love playing Shadow of Tomb Raider in 4k/HDR for the sheer amount of contrast detail I still go back to 1440p/g-sync to enjoy that smooth higher FPS experience. My 1080TI rig is connected to a 1440p/g-sync monitor and I can say I pretty much got the same numbers, maybe 5-8 fps higher because of OC, using the same settings except for turning off blur and flares. It did drive the card hard enough that it needed the fans at full to maintain 2012-25MHZ. First time I've seen that in a game.

View attachment 106143

I've gotten this more than a few times on both rigs. I'm mainly attributing it on both to being heavily OC'd but could also just be crash happy engine awaiting more patches to help it out. I'm really impressed with the engine overall. Threw everything including the kitchen sink into it-DX12/SLI/3d/HDR/and improved threaded support. Considering all that and minor stability issues are a miracle.

Last gen I said that the 1080TI shined at 1440p, here we see it continue with new gens.

edit: Just wanted to mention V-ram usage. I know it's business as usual with games using what you give 'em and this game series is no exception. Found it hilarious watching it eat 5-7GB in 1440p with these settings.

I get this constantly with directx 12 on in Shadows with videocards at stock. Second I turn DX12 off and set everything to ultra it works great. There is a bug.

Thanks for the preview Brent. I appreciate you skipping your slumber for 48 hours to make this preview happen!

My only issue is running a Asus Strix RTX against a FE pascal. I know my Strix 1080ti does better than a FE. I feel like this was a prime opportunity to put Strix vs Strix to get a more realistic generational improvement of cards a lot of people wait to buy. My 1080ti Strix is certainly pushing better clocks than those FE cards. I'm sure there was a reason for it, but personally I'd have prefer to see AIB high end cooler version VS the same counterpart.

Couldn't agree with you more. The FE 1080ti comparisons are getting on my nerves too. Outside of those who put custom water loops them I really doubt how many were purchased vs. AIB numbers. I know it's not the same for the RTX's but with Pascal the FE's were like a base model 4 cylinder vs. the turbo/supercharged version AIB version. Don't normally care about brand specific comparisons but the Strix of pascal was one of the best of all. I've yet to see a Strix vs. Strix comparison and I'm highly interested. Even rarer is OC'd Strix vs. OC'd Strix which would be even cooler since these cards OC'd so well on air.

I still have to give props to Brent, Kyle and the team for all the hard work. My wife could tell you how obsessed I get with my own rigs and testing for various reasons and the many hours doing so. We could all nitpick the details but in the end it is work, even with passion, and takes a lot of time. I can barely imagine the constant tear-down, re-installs, updates, etc. for each test not to mention calibrating various monitoring equipment. All the excitement we all get for new gen releases but also all the time in researching them. I've probably got 20+ hours just in the last week or two just reading reviews and threads and watching some vids.

To you. But people spend more than the cost of an RTX 2080 Ti on a freakin' cell phone.

Unless you're a professional gamer, all these GPUs are luxury items.
So there's really no "value" rationale involved in buying them: you either want it and can afford it, or not.
Truth. I know a guy who works minimum wage and just got the fancy new iphone. In Canada it clocked him just a hair under $2,000. This was replacing his broken iphone X

it's fast, the only reason I think Nvidia put up that NDA fiasco is with the inconsistency of the performance gains (from 30 - 61% on non TI , etc). It just makes you think that they know the new generation is too expensive for those numbers. If I had the extra resources to buy those(and I'm bored), I'd buy it just too stay on the edge. But quite frankly it is just too expensive for my tastes.

I could send you my strix 1080 ti oc o11g for a few days to get a like for like comparison if you want. Just be careful with it,as it's my only card.
We have cards to use for comparison in our coming reviews, but thanks. This is preview, a baseline. We will cover different comparisons going forward.

Kyle, I, perhaps like others, am trying to decide if I can finally beat my SLI addiction. Is this the one at 1440? Any plans on doing a 1080Ti SLI vs single 2080Ti? OOHHH, pleeaaassseee. Grovel and beg.

Kyle, I, perhaps like others, am trying to decide if I can finally beat my SLI addiction. Is this the one at 1440? Any plans on doing a 1080Ti SLI vs single 2080Ti? OOHHH, pleeaaassseee. Grovel and beg.
I have a 4K screen and left SLI behind several months ago. Will likely go 2080 Ti some time in the future, but right now I am really not chomping at the bit to do that.

Kyle, I know this is going off topic but what do you shoot for in 4K gaming? Lower some settings to get frame rates as high as possible i.e. the 50 to 60 range or crank them up and try to keep them around 30?
Just moved to this Ti, and the only game I have been playing much lately is Hunt. I have been running it in a 2650x1600 in a borderless window. But that is more because you really need to be able to see the whole "screen" while playing this game and the 48" is not good for watching your peripheral. I have played a bit of Strange Brigade too. Can run that game with everything turned on and full screen and run well over 60. Doom, pretty much the same thing. I think those are the only three games I have played on this 1080 Ti since I installed it. But I like to keep my frames above 60 for sure.
20180912121753_1.jpg 20180817211142_1.jpg

I think the performance is there....but not at the price.

I currently have 2 setups:
1) 1070 SLI for 1440p (60hz/IPS monitor) on Win10. I run games that are sub $10, so you can guess the age of the games. I really haven't ever thought "Need new video card" in the last 2 years.
2) 1080 single card on Ubuntu 18.04. Resolution on this guy is 1080p/60hz, so I think I'm ok here as well.

I think my next upgrade will be when I can get 2080Ti performance in a 4060 for $200 or so...

I think the performance is there....but not at the price.

I currently have 2 setups:
1) 1070 SLI for 1440p (60hz/IPS monitor) on Win10. I run games that are sub $10, so you can guess the age of the games. I really haven't ever thought "Need new video card" in the last 2 years.
2) 1080 single card on Ubuntu 18.04. Resolution on this guy is 1080p/60hz, so I think I'm ok here as well.

I think my next upgrade will be when I can get 2080Ti performance in a 4060 for $200 or so...

Well, you are gaming 'only' at 1080P, so stick with what you have. Your CPU is more of a bottleneck anyways at that resolution ;-)

Back