Asus ROG Strix 3090 = 400W GPU

https://www.pcgamer.com/asuss-new-r...hemoths-so-nvidia-ampere-has-room-to-breathe/

That's.... that's a really power heavy card.

So, new standard PSU for a rig with it will be 800W minimum? 1000W For a bit of headroom?

Yeah I am hearing people say 800ish is probably the recommended depending on how the rest of your rig is looking, but 1k is probably a safer choice. We have no idea how much these overclock but if they are anything like the last two generations I wouldn't be surprised if feeding these things another 50-75w can get you higher boost clocks (depending on the card/cooling). Last two machines I've built I just bit the bullet and bought Corsair 1200w/1600w PSUs just so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Corsair has a pretty long warranty and I've had the 1200w in use for 6 years so far.

I bought my 750G2 when it was the only G2 unit from eVGA...and with my Haswell underclocked (not overclocked), I was way overspec-ed on PSU.

...now it's time for my 750W to shine lmao.

https://www.pcgamer.com/asuss-new-r...hemoths-so-nvidia-ampere-has-room-to-breathe/

That's.... that's a really power heavy card.

So, new standard PSU for a rig with it will be 800W minimum? 1000W For a bit of headroom?

The reference design of the 3090 is nominally 350W. Given the power consumption, and assuming the silicon's being pushed past the sweet spot for the architecture and process, that's not too surprising. Heck, the factory overclocked Strix Vega 56 I used to own pushed 250 or 260 watts from a reference 210W. I wonder what the nudge to clock speeds amounts to for the 3090. But all of that said, it looks like the days of a 650 watt power supply being ample are behind us for now.

Heck I ran 2x 7990 in crossfire once upon a time and then followed that up with tri-fire 290's. Those rigs pulled serious power.

With that said I'm thinking the Samsung process is causing this. Just not as efficient as the TSMC 7nm stuff. I hope Nvidia got a real break on wafer pricing.

As far as a PSU goes I would think a good 750-800w would be just fine with a single 3090 as long as you aren't overclocking a CPU to over 250w of power.

So, new standard PSU ... ?
Well you don't want to use an old PSU with a half-decade of on time on it already. These should be used with quality PSUs from everything everyone's let out so far.

There are a couple of ways to figure out what wattage PSU to get. Find out what your maximum power draw is, core parts, storage, wifi, keyboard, mouse, phone, thumb drives, and all, what the actual maximum power draw is for your hardware, and get a PSU that generates that, or, tally up your core parts and tack on an extra 15-25 percent.

The real minimum with other mid-range core components I'll bet will be 650, understanding that for many, 650 will not be enough for totally reasonable and attainable builds, and that 750 or even possibly more might be necessary for rigs that really pack in a lot of features, overclocking, or both.

Still, I expect people to recommend and sell 1,200+-watt PSUs with these, and people are going to buy 'em up left and right.

IF I do have a 3090, I would probably run at 50-60% of the power limit for DC when running a few days to a few weeks continuously. From my pascal experience the computational power efficiency seems to be around that range and don't have to worry too much about over-heating :) . At one point, I was running 2 1080 Ti with 650W power supply for DC.

I wouldn't put anything lower than 1,000 watts PSU into a 3090 system.
You'll be hard-pressed to get max efficiency out of a kilowatt PSU unless you're loaded with tons of stuff and OCing. That's probably going to be overkill for most people seeing how it will take a 500W draw just to get into high efficiency territory.

You want your power draw at idle to be just as efficient as your draw at a full tilt, ideally, if possible.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I’m going to have to assume that the 3090’s are already binned and clocked pretty aggressively. Sure there is probably some head room on there for some additional clocks and with more aggressive cooling probably achievable. That extra bit though probably draws a lot and that’s where this comes in because being an ROG card no way is it running stock speeds.
Some of this may be from Samsung’s fab process compared to TSMC’s but I’m thinking these things are just big and hot and hungry. Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

You'll be hard-pressed to get max efficiency out of a kilowatt PSU unless you're loaded with tons of stuff and OCing. That's probably going to be overkill for most people seeing how it will take a 500W draw just to get into high efficiency territory.

You want your power draw at idle to be just as efficient as your draw at a full tilt, ideally, if possible.
Depends on the system, throw a Threadripper or Xeon in that system and the appropriate amount of ram and anything lower than an 850 starts to look questionable with a much weaker card.

Yea I think those 1kw PSU are overkill.

I only pull ~477 Watts's as read by a Belkin energy reader during a Furmark benchmark at 1440p, with a 9900k 5 GHz all core, and 2080 Ti at 130 power target. So YMMV, but I don't think I'm anywhere near needing a 1kw PSU anytime soon, even if I pick up a 3090.

I'm only on a Corsair AX760
1599148181459.png

Attachments

• 1599148162283.png
    1599148162283.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Even 3080 cards are getting in on the 400W+ act.
The Asus 3080 ROG STRIX has 3x150W power sockets and requires an 850W+ PSU.
This begs the question, what will the high end 3090 cards max out at?

Efficiency goes a long way

Attachments

• 80plusratings.jpg
    80plusratings.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0

Puts me in the inefficient zone for sure with a 1300W p/s. I had nabbed it on sale in anticipation of a Threadripper build and ended up going with a 3900X.

Efficiency goes a long way
Efficiency doesnt give more power to use on the PC, it changes how much power is drawn from the wall for a given power the PC uses.
It affects heat issued from the power supply which can matter under heavy load if the room gets too warm or if PSU fan noise is a concern.
A more efficient PSU can pay for itself if a PC is left on all the time, this is why I use a Prime Ultra Titanium, the longer service life helps too.

Last edited:
Efficiency doesnt give more power to use on the PC, it changes how much power is drawn from the wall for a given power the PC uses.
It affects heat issued from the power supply which can matter under heavy load if the room gets too warm or if PSU fan noise is a concern.
A more efficient PSU can pay for itself if a PC is left on all the time, this is why I use a Prime Ultra Titanium, the longer service life helps too.
Just saying, a Platinum 600W would most likely be fine for a 3080 and a mid range CPU.

Amen. Don't apply double standards here, folks - these are going to be hot cards by any metric.

Everyone engages in hypocrisy/double standards when it comes to justifying one product over another. It's an aspect of how our minds work. Realistically speaking, no one buying a high-end or enthusiast class GPU cares about power or heat.

Yea I think those 1kw PSU are overkill.

I only pull ~477 Watts's as read by a Belkin energy reader during a Furmark benchmark at 1440p, with a 9900k 5 GHz all core, and 2080 Ti at 130 power target. So YMMV, but I don't think I'm anywhere near needing a 1kw PSU anytime soon, even if I pick up a 3090.

I'm only on a Corsair AX760
View attachment 275906

And figure you're right around the 92% efficiency mark, so actual system draw is only about 440W. That puts you just shy of 60% of your PSU rating, so still a good bit of headroom.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amen. Don't apply double standards here, folks - these are going to be hot cards by any metric.
It is not a double standard. Nvidia has the performance to back it up. AMD ate a bunch of power for the crap performance you got.

Last edited:
Just saying, a Platinum 600W would most likely be fine for a 3080 and a mid range CPU.

Any good quality 600W should do the trick. There's nothing inherent to it being Platinum rated that's going to make it any less capable.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Its true better quality PSUs have extra overhead so cope with higher power transients better.
600W is cutting it a bit fine for a 3080 but with a lower power CPU it could work ok, as you suggest. As pointed out earlier, its not wise to push a PSU near its limit.
Better efficiency wont help this, it doesnt provide more power for use with the PC, it just reduces power drawn from the mains socket. ie less power is wasted being turned to heat in then PSU.

Its true better quality PSUs have extra overhead so cope with higher power transients better.
600W is cutting it a bit fine for a 3080 but with a lower power CPU it could work ok, as you suggest.
Better efficiency wont help this, it doesnt provide more power for use with the PC, it just reduces power drawn from the mains socket.
The difference between a hard pushed PSU failing or not, in other words.

600W is cutting it a bit fine for a 3080 but with a lower power CPU it could work ok, as you suggest. As pointed out earlier, its not wise to push a PSU near its limit.
Better efficiency wont help this, it doesnt provide more power for use with the PC, it just reduces power drawn from the mains socket. ie less power is wasted being turned to heat in then PSU.

Running at stock clocks should be fine. Definitely going to want to step it up a bit for overclocking.

Any good quality 600W should do the trick. There's nothing inherent to it being Platinum rated that's going to make it any less capable.
I would not put:

400W GPU
150W CPU
+ RAM, SSDs, Etc. on a 600WPSU.

700 - 750? Probably fine. But I don't think 600 has that headroom.

max you can continually pull from a psu depends largly on the supply. back when I was heavy into mining I would run supermicro 560w (600w @ 240v) PWS-563-1H20. You could peg those things at 100 to 110% output and run them indefinitely at that without excess heat/noise. Need more power? just wire a few of them together and it will work great. I also never managed to kill one and have probably used about 50 of them or so.

For everyone using a older corsair psu. run them hard and run them long (90% load or under). although ive killed a few of those they always seam to die peacefully deploying there majic smoke and not killing anything connected.

as for 400w gpus, good, give me the power and ill still overvolt and overclock the card delivering the power has never been a problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on if the 400w ASUS 3090 cards will overclock better than the 350w nvidia founders 3090s?

I'm currently trying to decide between the 3090 founders edition and the ASUS ROG STRIX 3090... I'm going to put a water block on either of them.

On one hand you're practically guaranteed a good chip with nvidia founders, but the ASUS will probably have a better power phase and that 3rd 8pin power connector for an additional 50w...

Anyone have any thoughts on if the 400w ASUS 3090 cards will overclock better than the 350w nvidia founders 3090s?

I'm currently trying to decide between the 3090 founders edition and the ASUS ROG STRIX 3090... I'm going to put a water block on either of them.

On one hand you're practically guaranteed a good chip with nvidia founders, but the ASUS will probably have a better power phase and that 3rd 8pin power connector for an additional 50w...

Probably. A higher power limit will give the card more room to boost before running into a wall, but it's hard to say exactly how much of a difference it will have until reviews are out.

Whats the real difference in founders and reference because EK says thier block works on reference but not founders. I thought founders was as reference as you can get.

Whats the real difference in founders and reference because EK says thier block works on reference but not founders. I thought founders was as reference as you can get.
Nope, FE cards are FE cards only this round to my knowledge. None of the kits sent out by NVIDIA have been for the small "V" PCBs. I do not think it has even been offered to AIBs.

Probably. A higher power limit will give the card more room to boost before running into a wall, but it's hard to say exactly how much of a difference it will have until reviews are out.

Normally you can set the power limit (and core voltage) to whatever you feel like making the only diferance being chip bining and cooling. Aftermarket cards generally have far better cooling but bining can be a wash as sometimes lower asic quality chips can take more voltage and thus get to higher clocks (at the expense of more heat and power)

I definitely agree with waiting for reviews though as it tells you how good the stock cooler is as well as how well the arch deals with more voltage/clock. Judging by the high tdp target at launch nvidia may just as well have pulled the silicon pretty close to the edge of where its happy (and probably past the optimal efficiency range)

Normally you can set the power limit (and core voltage) to whatever you feel like making the only diferance being chip bining and cooling. Aftermarket cards generally have far better cooling but bining can be a wash as sometimes lower asic quality chips can take more voltage and thus get to higher clocks (at the expense of more heat and power)

I definitely agree with waiting for reviews though as it tells you how good the stock cooler is as well as how well the arch deals with more voltage/clock. Judging by the high tdp target at launch nvidia may get well have pulled the silicon pretty close to the edge of where its happy (and probably past the optimal efficiency range)

You cannot set them to "whatever you feel like". Every BIOS has a max power and core limit. Outside of using a modified BIOS there is a hard power limit on every GPU.

Nope, FE cards are FE cards only this round to my knowledge. None of the kits sent out by NVIDIA have been for the small "V" PCBs. I do not think it has even been offered to AIBs.
I can see why it isn't offered to AIB as it is added to cost to them since it looks like a pain in the ass to produce.

Back