• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Asus ROG Strix 3090 = 400W GPU

You will need not only PCU but good and big case to manage heat from the heater, ops the cards :p
 
You will need not only PCU but good and big case to manage heat from the heater, ops the cards :p

You don't need a big case, you just need a case with good airflow design. This isn't the first card to dump a crap ton of heat into a case.
 
I can see why it isn't offered to AIB as it is added to cost to them since it looks like a pain in the ass to produce.
Pain to produce for somebody who makes bulk cards but for somebody doing small batch it’s not much of a hassle. Those short boards let them do some things that may have allowed for improved power efficiency or cooling. But I certainly see now why the FE cards have such an expensive cooler.
 
You cannot set them to "whatever you feel like". Every BIOS has a max power and core limit. Outside of using a modified BIOS there is a hard power limit on every GPU.
Modding a vbios is not terribly difficult. High end gpus also generally give you quite a bit of wiggle room concerning tdp as well as core voltage. If it turns out to be worthwhile a nice easy to use tool will pop up on the internet pretty shortly
 
Pain to produce for somebody who makes bulk cards but for somebody doing small batch it’s not much of a hassle. Those short boards let them do some things that may have allowed for improved power efficiency or cooling. But I certainly see now why the FE cards have such an expensive cooler.
I did get costs on the NVIDIA FE heatsinks and that system is NOT cheap at all. It is the most expensive one ever made for a video card to my knowledge.
 
Modding a vbios is not terribly difficult. High end gpus also generally give you quite a bit of wiggle room concerning tdp as well as core voltage. If it turns out to be worthwhile a nice easy to use tool will pop up on the internet pretty shortly

Since 10xx series, the bios has been encrypted to prevent modding.
All thats been possible is use the bios from another card.
Changes to a bios have not been possible.
 
I did get costs on the NVIDIA FE heatsinks and that system is NOT cheap at all. It is the most expensive one ever made for a video card to my knowledge.
Well yeah but in addition to being a whole new design they are also a small batch so custom work. That always makes it expensive. But I think it was a good trade, more efficient board probably cheaper overall too, moved the cost to the cooling but if the format takes off then coolers will come down in price as more people build with them. I look forward to what water cooling blocks become available for them should be awesome.
 
Pain to produce for somebody who makes bulk cards but for somebody doing small batch it’s not much of a hassle. Those short boards let them do some things that may have allowed for improved power efficiency or cooling. But I certainly see now why the FE cards have such an expensive cooler.
Not only expensive cooler but based on igorsLAB info, both FE 3080 and 3090 have 12 pcb layers and uses the backdrill method for amps, that just added cost right there. If I was an AIB partner, if I can get away with a cheaper method, I will use the cheaper method.
 
Since 10xx series, the bios has been encrypted to prevent modding.
All thats been possible is use the bios from another card.
Changes to a bios have not been possible.
Good to know. I would assume its still possible to grab the vbios off a overclocking oriented card (provided they share the same memory) flash it and have all the headroom you would ever want for the arch.
 
Not only expensive cooler but based on igorsLAB info, both FE 3080 and 3090 have 12 pcb layers and uses the backdrill method for amps, that just added cost right there. If I was an AIB partner, if I can get away with a cheaper method, I will use the cheaper method.
Well it moved costs.... overall the price remains about the same but if the format takes off than the more people doing it the cheaper it becomes. So it has the possibility to reduce costs over time if they can get their partners onboard with the new format.
 
Good to know. I would assume its still possible to grab the vbios off a overclocking oriented card (provided they share the same memory) flash it and have all the headroom you would ever want for the arch.

I did this with my 1080ti but its not always straight forward.
ie Voltage might be too high for your cards cooling making it unstable or result in permanent throttling. Different video out ports or locations may mean you lose the use of some of them.
Maximum power use can be configured by hardware so a high power bios might fail to work.
There were other potential issues, brain fade is setting in.
 
I did get costs on the NVIDIA FE heatsinks and that system is NOT cheap at all. It is the most expensive one ever made for a video card to my knowledge.

The next question is, was it worth it?
 
Back
Top