ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme X79

Truly a thing of beauty. Is it wrong that I find the layout of the board sexy as hell.

My next board. Can't wait.

But I will remove the stupid little fan and replace it with a waterblock. :)

Does it come gift wapped in $100 bills? Because damn it looks expensive!

The only thing lacking is the audio.
Throw on the Gigabyte G1 Assassin's Sound Blaster audio and Bigfoot network controller and it would be absolutely perfect.

Also not to nitpick but a right angled 24pin connector.

Still a fantastic board tho. Just hope its priced so that mere mortals can afford it.

Throw on the Gigabyte G1 Assassin's Sound Blaster audio

Because Creative has screwed over their customers too many times, I'll take ASUS' Xonar chips. They're also cheaper to get, because they're designed by ASUS themselves.

Bigfoot network controller and it would be absolutely perfect.

Give me two Intel NICs, or a two port Intel NIC, thanks. That will demolish the BigFoot in performance and reliability. And before you come with their software as argument, we have this thing called QoS that any decent router can do, as well as third-party software for any NIC to do that.

Looks like it comes bundled with a special edition of BF3, kind of infers that it gives you extra unlocked weapons.

I want to see the WS series boards...

Edit: somehow posted in the wrong thread

Last edited:
After seeing the Black Edition this one leaves me a little less impressed. Lacks the bells and whistles of previous Rampage boards. Still hoping for ASUS to put out one of their "This is ridiculous why would you need this?" kind of boards but hopefully not wait until right before the socket type dies.

Holy shit...now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

I believe I see my new motherboard for my X79 build ladies and gentleman.

Meh on the SB fan ... Hoping they release a ROG MATX Gene board for X79. But something tells me the next Gene board will be for Ivy Bridge

Betting we'll see a 'formula' board on x79 that'll be this board without the LN2 features, and more geared toward the air/water cooling overclocking crowd.

But yeah this looks like another huge winner. I love my R3E

must...have...2011...OMG 2 pin headers on the voltage taps!!!

time to start building a new case

If the 2011'chips are remotely reasonable, this board is just too damn sexy to pass up.

this board is just killer: the color scheme is spot on and past boards have performed really well.

I hope this will fit in my Antec Nine Hundred Two. Looks sort of.... wide?

Does anyone have any experience showing a fat board like this in a mid-tower chassis?

It is an E-ATX board, and it may actually be a bit bigger than a standard E-ATX board. If your 902 can support E-ATX, it should be fine, but I suspect the edge of the board would be really close to the edge of the drive bays.

One thing I've always disliked about most Antec cases was how short they were, which limits support for really long GPU's. Cooler Master's 690 series (mid-tower cases) support much longer graphics cards than Antec without losing drive bay capacity.

Does it come gift wapped in $100 bills? Because damn it looks expensive!

The only thing lacking is the audio.
Throw on the Gigabyte G1 Assassin's Sound Blaster audio and Bigfoot network controller and it would be absolutely perfect.

Also not to nitpick but a right angled 24pin connector.

Still a fantastic board tho. Just hope its priced so that mere mortals can afford it.

I'd go for intel lan chips WAYYYY before i'd ever consider a bigfoot. Plus intel does do traffic organization just like the bigfoots do, you just have to install the correct drivers.

And people can put their right angled 24 pins on themselves, thats just silly. Who actually does that standard anyway? ive never seen it.

Though i will agree, i am dissapointed in a realtek sound controller.

This very well could be my next motherboard!

My LGA775 Maximus Extreme has done well with my QX9650 but it's a little long in the tooth.

(my bank account cries when I write things like this)

I really wish ASUS would update the Realtek integrated junk to something just halfway midrange so that non audiophiles would have something decent enough not to have to install a dedicated sound card. I also wish they would start offering built-in WiFi N on these high-end boards since everything nowadays has WiFi and if they added something like an Intel Centrino N6200 you could have the best of both worlds to go with the Intel NIC.

I really wish ASUS would update the Realtek integrated junk to something just halfway midrange so that non audiophiles would have something decent enough not to have to install a dedicated sound card. I also wish they would start offering built-in WiFi N on these high-end boards since everything nowadays has WiFi and if they added something like an Intel Centrino N6200 you could have the best of both worlds to go with the Intel NIC.

I believe Asus offers crap sound on their mobos not to kill their sound card division. They can't add creative X-Fi also , as they would be saying "We are making Xonar cards, but on Mobos we added Creative, for it's better" - and that would be bullet in the foot.

As far as WiFi is concerned - spot on. I'd love to see mobos that already got wireless (and I think Asus used to have some of them earlier on).

the R3 black has wifi...but we will not see an R4 black until LGA2011 is EOL

I believe Asus offers crap sound on their mobos not to kill their sound card division. They can't add creative X-Fi also , as they would be saying "We are making Xonar cards, but on Mobos we added Creative, for it's better" - and that would be bullet in the foot.

As far as WiFi is concerned - spot on. I'd love to see mobos that already got wireless (and I think Asus used to have some of them earlier on).

Well it's not the full X-Fi hardware implementation that Gigabyte is offering on the G1.Sniper but one of the features of the Maximus IV Gene-Z is the Supreme FX X-Fi 2 which is I guess just a software layer but they could put a full on dedicated X-Fi chip with RAM on the board if they wanted to. At the moment though they're trying to get people to buy their new Thunderbolt card that they offer on some of their ROG boards after marking up the price another $100.

ASUS said:
SupremeFX X-Fi 2
Play with ultra-real cinematic in-game surround sound!
SupremeFX X-Fi 2 delivers incredible gaming audio experiences to ROG die hards. It features EAX 5.0 and OpenAL for ultra-real cinematic in-game audio. It even comes with THX TruStudio PRO branding, which makes games, music and movies sound way better! SupremeFX X-Fi 2 also implements gold-plated jacks and high quality capacitors to ensure high definition adventures in audio.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_GENEZ/

Last edited:
I'm loving the 8 DDR3 slots.

Only problem with that will be clearance if you try to use any of the large high performance air coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow.

VR-Zone said:
We tried with our favourite Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual Tower Heatpipe cooler - sadly as you clearly see the fans when installed will block RAM installation.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/first-l...9--hardcore-is-back-/13795.html#ixzz1bupi7xQE

Only problem with that will be clearance if you try to use any of the large high performance air coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow.

Well I think using large air coolers for this enthusiast platform is like spitting in your mommas face.

These deserve water and nothing but water.

Okay fine well.... just use a lower profile ram and you will be fine. Samsung makes some fantastic quality uber low profile ram that I have sitting on my desk rated for 1600 speed. Im sure there are others with DDR3-2000 speed in a lower shorter profile.

if this launches with fucking realtek nic I swear, by the HAMMER OF THOR, there will be blood...

Back