Asus ROG expander to allow 4-Way 480 SLi on Rampage III Extreme!

indeed. can't that fitting in case without extreme modding. but then again might be better to just run without a case you wouldn't have airflow issue then. add some 120's on top the cards for extra cooling and everything should be good.

I wouldn't be suprised if mountainmods relases a new backpiece to support this riser on their existing cases, much like how they updated for the 10 slot requirement of the 4 way sli boards.

I've done something similar building rackmount servers with PCIE expansion chassis that housed 4 Tesla cards.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to use one of those same server-grade PCIE expansion chassis for a home desktop with 4 discrete cards. From the article it sounds like it wouldn't work due to NVidia licensing issues (read: money grab) rather than any technical limitation. I bet crossfire would work fine :rolleyes:

seriously, how many casual user would go for 4-way 480 SLI ?

First of all, it's totally unnecessary - even 2x 480 would handle any game on highers settings.
Second, it's very impractical. imagine the heat and noise fro 4 Fermis.

It's for benchmarking and world record attempts, not for gamers or even most enthusiasts.

It would be neat for folding. But not price-conscious.
Some people have unlimited budgets. Almost $2000 on consumer graphics cards is crazy. :p

I don't get how the cards will line up with the case properly. Wouldn't the top port be blocked and the screws holding the card bracket to the case not work normally anymore?

how many watts would 4 480's use? i dont' think my 1.2kW psu's could keep up :p

I'm sorry, that just looks goofy. IF you want 4 way SLI, why get that motherboard and then pay an extra $100+ for an add on board when you can just buy the SR-2 or the E762?

That looks sick! That's really cool how they make "modules" or "extensions" of motherboards through mods like this. :D

How retarded; Just get one of the 10 slot mobos and a case to match and save spending a few dozen hors modding a case for what's certain to be a one off monstrosity..

Hmmm. do not like this at all. Was thinking about doing 4x SLI when we se how Surround works but I wouldn't do it with this.

Back