Asus RMA=Unacceptable and Appalling

srsparky32

n00b
I HAVE WAITED OVER A MONTH FOR THIS

so i got the board..i look at the northbridge, and it has no screws, and isnt even aligned properly.

DSC_0334.jpg

i pull off the sink and this is all i see here, a load of dried up TIM

DSC_0332.jpg

NO SCREWS!

DSC_0333.jpg

DENTS AND STRATCHES on the heatsink!

DSC_0335.jpg

THERMAL COMPOUND IN THE SOCKET AREA!

DSC_0336.jpg

IMG_20120426_125356.jpg

The Rampage 3 Extreme is a TOP END board, is very expensive, and yet, it cannot be replaced properly by Asus. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

Asus sucks. I just RMA'd my Crosshair V motherboard and it took almost a month and a half to get it RMA'd. I got mad in the middle of the RMA and just purchased an EVGA instead. They didn't even know what the problem was with the motherboard.

The company has gotten very bad lately especially with customer support and product quality.

Yup, ASUS sucks. I gave up on them about the time of the P67 recall. Unresponsive customer service (you're lucky you even got an exchange, I didn't even get a response after repeated emails), BIOS bugs, refusal to sleep, etc. Judging from the exchange you got ASUS must have a bunch of 5 year old children running the RMA department.

If it makes you feel better, I had a 3 month old Transformer tablet RMAd (for a month) for developing a white spot on the screen, and when it came back it had the worst backlight bleed I've ever seen. Immediately repacked it and brought it back to Fed-Ex with a new RMA #, and waited TWO MORE MONTHS to get it back. The "techs" kept saying there was "no trouble found", and if I wanted to speak to a supervisor, I had to wait 24-48 hours for a return call. I was told to wait 24-48 hours about 12 times over the course of a month. Simply appalling.

I one had a Asus P4c800 E Deluxe board. I must have had to rma that motherboard 8 times throughout the 3 year warranty. Every time they got more critical of my calls but they were sending me doa boards. They tried their best to claim it was user error but after a while they sent me to the multiple exchange dept. where they actually tested the board and found a few of the refurbs were bad. I had them actually test a board before they sent it to me and it worked fine.

I then moved onto abit with a ip35 and it's one of the best boards I have ever owned.

doubt id ever buy an asus mobo again. I have an asus xonar and one has died already but amazon replaced it

That's pretty sad.
We have an ASUS representative in the forums, contact him.
If it still doesn't get resolved, please let us know. This info is crucial for deciding on future purchases, etc.

i guess the burning question is, does it work??

i wouldn't be surprised if it caught fire.

The CPU socket looks clean, if you screw that heatsink in yourself the motherboard probably works.

Much like mail in rebates, ASUS seems to operate on the hope that you'll give up if they make it hard enough or make you wait long enough.

Full disclosure : I own several ASUS products and feel like I play russian roulette every time I buy one.

Asus CS and RMA is disgusting.
Great products but not worth it if you have an issue they will try to screw you
I'm in a current RMA that started in February lol.
Hope they have a class action law suit slapped at them someday.

Not surprised. When i sent my HD5970 in it came back functioning even worse than when i sent it in and 1/2 the screws were stripped.

After seeing these horrible stories over and over tells me to simply stop buying Asus. It'a sad because they do have great hardware but not effectively honoring your warranty is a deal breaker.

Actually just got my (well a) R3F back yesterday

obviously somebody else's used board, bent VRM sink fins, arctic silver all over the CPU retention, second to current BIOS on it. I was offline 28 days. You would think if they are just going to ship you somebody else's crap and cross their fingers they could at least do it quicker. Won't clock like mine either. Real shame, I have been a big ASUS fan dating back to the retro rig in my sig.

What really gets me though...ZERO COMMUNICATION. No "this is what we found", no "we are shipping you a replacement board" no nothing.

oh crap, I hope the coice of going with ASUS for my next build doesn't bite me in the butt.

And here I just built a Z77 deluxe system. :) Hopefully I don't get snakebitten. Last ASUS I had was...hmmm, something a while back, think that was my dual core. There was something I didn't like about it, so I skipped ASUS on the next few mobos I had. I'm happy enough with the EVGA P55 I'm on that I might have waited for their Z77, except A)I have no patience and B) I don't want a fan on my mobo, like EVGA has on their Z77.

Oh well, I'll go sacrifice a chicken.

After seeing these horrible stories over and over tells me to simply stop buying Asus. It'a sad because they do have great hardware but not effectively honoring your warranty is a deal breaker.

Agreed.

I saw another member on a different forum that works for Asus and he vouched for these statements saying their RMA service/repair department was horrible.

I had one of their soundcards that fried and would only play static noise out of one channel. I sent the card in and they sent it back to me saying there was nothing wrong with it and didn't fix anything. I popped it back in my machine and it was still broken. Tried other machines and same thing.

I'm going to sell my Asus mobo and get something else.

Oh My God..........! Lets stay away from Asus. Its really bad and horrible. They dont deserve the customers if they cannot extend good customer services.

Did a bit of digging and it appears that ASUS has issues raised on BBB's website.

BBB said:
We have identified a pattern of complaints concerning customer service and service issues. Complaints processed by the BBB claim that 1) products sent to the company for repairs are still not working properly when returned to the consumer.
2) Customers calling the company are asked to call back or told they will receive a call back and in many cases don't.

BBB asked the company to respond to the pattern but has received no reply to our request.

I may return my asus board and go with MSI or Gigabyte. I'd hate for the board to go belly up and get a crapped out board back.

I have had only one Asus mobo...and it was my last thanks to the awful RMA experience.

Asus has a repair facility in Jeffersonville, IN that is horrible. if you shipped your product there to be fixed, chances are your going to get a bad experience. The repair facility in California is supposed to be a lot better.

Read on on Jeffersonville, IN plant here.

srsparky32 where did you ship yours to be fixed?

I have had only one Asus mobo...and it was my last thanks to the awful RMA experience.

I currently have a Asus mobo in my HTPC. Also had a P5Q Deluxe in my last main rig. Both boards are rock solid to this day. Just that reading these kind of threads make me rethink my choice of favorite board vender. Which is a shame because I like asus's boards and features.

I am unimpressed with ASUS also. I sent in a monitor for being defective, ticking sound, burning smell. It took 2 weeks to get a RMA approved. Sent it to a CA repair shop. I sent it in, a week after they got it, they said they didnt find any problems, send more info. I had already gave them a very detailed description earlier, so I described it again. I didnt hear back for another week, then 1 day they send a tracking number with my exact serial number monitor being returned. I contacted them to see if they repaired anything, and they said they replaced a speaker and hoped that was the problem. I tried it 5 minutes, and it does seem ok. The monitor has hardly ever been used. I did not like the 1 month turn around, and I will not be buying ASUS products agin in the future because of it. EVGA has always sent a replacement out within days of recieving a faulty product, and it looks like new when I recieve it. My other ASUS products are holding up and working fine, but I can see if a mobo goes bad, I might as well just order a new one from someone else, and sell off the ASUS RMA when I get it back in 4-5 weeks.

Asus RMA is like this

Send defextive product in- they recieve it- test it- send it back to you saying nothing is wrong....
You get the RMA- verify it's still broken- call them back- they send you over to Tier 2 support- another RMA- and this time you get something that is fixed/works....

If you are in NY like I am it can take a good 4 weeks or longer with ground shipping.

I also don't understand why you were not able to secure an overnight cross-shipment of a new board from Asus considering the ROG line of boards allow you to do so for your first RMA.

WHA HUH???

where does it say that?? mine was 28 days, rep never said fuckall about cross ship

The CPU socket looks clean, if you screw that heatsink in yourself the motherboard probably works.

Yes, but would you expect this?

This is a damned if you do-damned if you don't.

If the OP does anything ASUS will blame him, if he sends it back in this shape it will take another month.

I have an ASUS Rampage Formula, RF III and RF IV......not to mention several GPUs and a notebook.........man, I guess I need to rethink things before my next purchase.:eek:

WHA HUH???

where does it say that?? mine was 28 days, rep never said fuckall about cross ship

I am not sure if it is written anywhere......but......many posts here had told of calling ASUS directly and (with ROG boards) asking to speak to a supervisor for a Cross-ship replacement.

Whether or not you'll just be sent someone else's trouble or a new board remains to be seen, but at least it guarantees you don't get your own board back unrepaired.

This whole thing is shameful.

Srsparky, drop me a PM with your email addy please, I will forward it to the managers together with this case.

-Raja

WHA HUH???

http://service.asus.com/InfoPage.aspx?rid=12
Though the Rampage III no longer qualifies for their advance replacement.

Also:

ASUS will provide a cross-ship option that offers the customer the least amount of system downtime. Upon the receipt of a valid credit card number and approval, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the replacement product. The replacement product will be shipped to the customer and a prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided. Upon return of the defective product and verification against the RMA, the temporary charge hold on the customer’s credit card will be lifted.

Last edited:
I wonder if motherboards are as bad as laptops. Even the turn around time isnt bad but 2 RMA shipments. Blehh

Gah, saw OP's post on overclock.net and a few others recently. I'm still going to buy an Asus Z77 board but this stuff is scary. They REALLY need to overhaul their entire customer service/community relations/RMA process for the North America market. It's not a huge investment but pays off massively with customer loyalty, look at Corsair and EVGA. You cannot get away with crap service when products are trending toward commodities like MB's are with each new Intel chipset.

asus's rma is what keeps me from buying a Gene-V and a new video card. It's what keeps me reconsidering other options.

Sigh.

T-minus 30 days until we have yet another thread about ASUS's poor RMA service.

T-minus 30 days until we have yet another thread about ASUS's poor RMA service.

Well hey, if no one spoke their mind about shitty CS/RMA, then there's no reason for a company to hopefully listen and make the changes to fix their faults, or for any of us to care about what we buy with the money we're spending.

Case in point: OCZ. Used to be the recommended hot ticket go-to brand, now they're reknown for shitty quality on a lot of their products and even shittier customer service.

If Asus wants to put themselves in the position that OCZ has gotten themselves into in the eyes of the enthusiasts, then they just need to keep on truckin' at the speed and course they are now.

It's disheartening to read so much negative feedback on what is supposed to be the #1 brand in computer hardware, especially since I bit the bullet and just bough the Z77 Sabertooth over a few other non-Asus choices I could have bought. If I end up having a bad experience, then Asus will have to chalk me up with everyone else on their dirty laundry list of customers lost for life.

I'll give them a chance to prove to me that this motherboard will live up to it's durability heritage, but if I get fucked at all during the 5 year warranty periord, they can kiss my ass good-bye.

When customers stop buying a certain brand en masse due to poor service and lack of recommendations, that should be taken VERY seriously and corrected ASAMFP by said company. Else, Asus will eventually have no choice but to either severlely downsize and bow out of the aftermarket segment while keeping their OEM supply chain, or fizzle out permanently. It's happened to some companies in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again to some companies in the future. Either way, we consumers will get on with life and recommend/buy some other company's products... without batting an eye.

We spend our earned money on products from a company that EARNS it in return.

@Raja- thank you for being one of the only helpful reps, i have another one from overclock.net helping me- Grunion- he works for MSI in the same RMA factory mine was sent to, and hes getting it taken care of

@Everyone else that posted in here, thanks for the clear constructive posts. Grunion PM'd me on overclock.net and told me that they are actually working to get a brand new replacement for me..seeing as the R3E is rare, there are no boards stateside, so Taiwan will have to get involved. IT seems that the ball is rolling for a brand new replacement, so i'll post back with updates and if the issue even gets resolved in a fairly quick manner.

RE: does the board work? NO...no, it does not. it turns on once, and then when you turn it off or it restarts itself, it stays stuck and will not POST. CPU light is illuminated, and i know for a fact my 990X works, beacuse my EVGA x58 SLI LE runs it at 4.5GHz 24/7 stable with no issues whatsoever.

RE: what center did i send it to? I sent it to the one in California, the "supposed" good one. :p

Last edited:
Well hey, if no one spoke their mind about shitty CS/RMA, then there's no reason for a company to hopefully listen and make the changes to fix their faults, or for any of us to care about what we buy with the money we're spending.

Case in point: OCZ. Used to be the recommended hot ticket go-to brand, now they're reknown for shitty quality on a lot of their products and even shittier customer service.

If Asus wants to put themselves in the position that OCZ has gotten themselves into in the eyes of the enthusiasts, then they just need to keep on truckin' at the speed and course they are now.

It's disheartening to read so much negative feedback on what is supposed to be the #1 brand in computer hardware, especially since I bit the bullet and just bough the Z77 Sabertooth over a few other non-Asus choices I could have bought. If I end up having a bad experience, then Asus will have to chalk me up with everyone else on their dirty laundry list of customers lost for life.

I'll give them a chance to prove to me that this motherboard will live up to it's durability heritage, but if I get fucked at all during the 5 year warranty periord, they can kiss my ass good-bye.

When customers stop buying a certain brand en masse due to poor service and lack of recommendations, that should be taken VERY seriously and corrected ASAMFP by said company. Else, Asus will eventually have no choice but to either severlely downsize and bow out of the aftermarket segment while keeping their OEM supply chain, or fizzle out permanently. It's happened to some companies in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again to some companies in the future. Either way, we consumers will get on with life and recommend/buy some other company's products... without batting an eye.

We spend our earned money on products from a company that EARNS it in return.

Amen Brother.

Glad I saw this thread today, I was going to purchase 2 Asus 7970s but I will definitely be avoiding Asus now after reading all these horror stories with their CS/RMAs.

Back