Asus RMA=Unacceptable and Appalling

I purchased an ASUS P87 77-V Pro MB for WHS2011, the installation CD refused to work with the OS. Atttempts to download drivers from manuf sites failed.

ASUS first said will not work with WHS2011 (so I returned it) then said:

Use server 2008 drivers, fine; but the website was not able to offer any support for this MB.

What happened to this supplier Quality system?

You know what, my first major problem with computers happened on an asus board.

turned out my Asus AMD board didn't work with my Asus Video card. RMA took forever only for it to not work over and over again, switched the mobo to another brand and had no issues.

This was back during Athlon 1333mhz days.

Nice to see they're at least consistent :p

Well hey, if no one spoke their mind about shitty CS/RMA, then there's no reason for a company to hopefully listen and make the changes to fix their faults, or for any of us to care about what we buy with the money we're spending.

Case in point: OCZ. Used to be the recommended hot ticket go-to brand, now they're reknown for shitty quality on a lot of their products and even shittier customer service.

If Asus wants to put themselves in the position that OCZ has gotten themselves into in the eyes of the enthusiasts, then they just need to keep on truckin' at the speed and course they are now.

It's disheartening to read so much negative feedback on what is supposed to be the #1 brand in computer hardware, especially since I bit the bullet and just bough the Z77 Sabertooth over a few other non-Asus choices I could have bought. If I end up having a bad experience, then Asus will have to chalk me up with everyone else on their dirty laundry list of customers lost for life.

I'll give them a chance to prove to me that this motherboard will live up to it's durability heritage, but if I get fucked at all during the 5 year warranty periord, they can kiss my ass good-bye.

When customers stop buying a certain brand en masse due to poor service and lack of recommendations, that should be taken VERY seriously and corrected ASAMFP by said company. Else, Asus will eventually have no choice but to either severlely downsize and bow out of the aftermarket segment while keeping their OEM supply chain, or fizzle out permanently. It's happened to some companies in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again to some companies in the future. Either way, we consumers will get on with life and recommend/buy some other company's products... without batting an eye.

We spend our earned money on products from a company that EARNS it in return.

I've opened no fewer than three of these threads myself. On one of the occasions, Kyle got involved because I had received such an obviously damaged part as a replacement, and then was getting ignored. Literally visible water damage, burnt traces, entire connectors snapped off the board.

Anyway, I used to buy ASUS for everyone. That stopped two years ago, and I started buying Gigabyte for everyone but myself.

ASUS motherboards still tend to have the best layouts and features... You just have to deal with a bad board almost 100% of the time, which means dealing with ASUS RMA. I'm willing to deal with the hassle for my own equipment... But I won't do that for my friends. I'd rather get them a Gigabyte that just flat out works first shot and never has problems.

ASUS motherboards still tend to have the best layouts and features... You just have to deal with a bad board almost 100% of the time, which means dealing with ASUS RMA.

What? You have had a bad board 100% of the time? That is unbelievable. I would switch brands after problem #2.

For me, I have had 4 motherboards in my life, all have been ASUS. All have worked flawlessly. The only issue I have had was the red optical sound light on my Crosshair III X-fi sound card not working, but that could have easily been from the courier dropping it on the floor right in front of me at the pickup station.

What? You have had a bad board 100% of the time? That is unbelievable. I would switch brands after problem #2.

For me, I have had 4 motherboards in my life, all have been ASUS. All have worked flawlessly. The only issue I have had was the red optical sound light on my Crosshair III X-fi sound card not working, but that could have easily been from the courier dropping it on the floor right in front of me at the pickup station.

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus - Dead 2nd DDR2 channel
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe - Capacitor exploded and flew off motherboard in a little ball of flame
ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - Randomly stopped booting

What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment... Like I said though, the layouts are the main consideration... Fitting everything *just* right.

I had to RMA that P5N-T board three times. It was the one where ASUS sent me a REALLY messed up board that was damaged to all hell.

Last edited:
I quit buying Asus boards years ago when I started noticing a decline in quality on the boards I was buying, and haven't had a bit of trouble since. They may be great boards if you get a trouble free one, but if you're unlucky and get a bunk board it's going to be nothing but a long nightmare getting things rectified. I just don't have the time and money to waste on companies who can't offer reasonable quality control and service in such a competitive market. It's sad that Asus has to have reps who monitor forums for people complaining about them so they can do some quick and dirty damage control, spend half the time and effort to improve your RMA process and this wouldn't be a problem to begin with.

Wow, I did not need to read this thread with a Asus ROG V Gene Z77 on the way.

I would like to believe that only people with bad RMA experiences post on forums, and that
others without issues don't bother posting their positive experience.

I really hope this is not the norm with Asus's RMA.

The stories of poor customer service are pretty consistent. Weeks waiting for replacements that simply fail to work out of the box.

In my case? Dead X58 board that they never successfully repaired...but then again they never successfully set up an RMA after repeated attempts to get one. I gave up trying and stupidly bought an ASUS P67, it got recalled (not ASUS fault), then the B3 replacement suffered from stability problems right away. Once again ASUS lagged so badly with getting an RMA approved that NewEgg stepped in and gave me a refund a full six months after the original B2 purchase so that I could turn that credit around and buy a Gigabyte Z68. Pretty bad when the vendor that sold the board feels bad enough for you to do something like that -- all I did was ask NewEgg to try and intervene and convince ASUS to actually respond to my requests and they offered me a refund instead (nor did I even ask for one).

It would be one thing if the complaints were non-uniform. But this is a consistent pattern -- seems likely to be the norm. Personal friends of mine that have had to deal with ASUS all experienced these same problems with CS. None of them ever had a positive experience but that's too small a sample size to really be significant. If my only in-service ASUS board (low end AMD board for a file server) ever kicks the bucket I'm buying a Gigabyte board before the RMA. I have zero faith in ASUS and the last few builds I have done for family reflect that. 100% Gigabyte boards and 100% eVGA GPUs.

Last edited:
You have to be really careful with Asus RMA. I had a similar experience two years ago when I've received a replacement board back and it had screwdriver gouges on the wire traces. I've had to exchange it twice due to other visible damages. Be persistent with your e-mails. If we can't send in motherboards that show signs of abuse why should they send us theirs? Whole adventure took a month.

You shouldn't need persistence to convince a company to offer RMA service that is inline with what they promised when you purchased the product. My $200+ should be enough to convince them to set up an RMA, actually fix a product, and return a product to me. In a timely fashion.

If it had been a $2,000 product, or a $20,000 product, my persistence would have quickly gone from "please set an RMA up, I contacted you two week ago about it" to "here are the papers I am serving to you for a small claims lawsuit."

At $200 I'll try to get an RMA set up, give up after a few weeks or a few rebuilds of the same machine, and move to another manufacturer. It isn't worth spending more than 8 hours of my time on it in the form of phone calls, email conversations, rebuilding, and whatnot...and I'm nearly convinced that they make it this difficult to intentionally reduce support costs. Instead their attempt at reducing support costs have directly cost them three motherboard purchases (Gigabyte instead of ASUS), one GPU purchase (eVGA instead of ASUS), and one laptop purchase (Apple instead of ASUS).

I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette buying asus boards with this kind of poor customer service.

Just put together a P8Z77-V Pro based system with a 2600k CPU. So far it's been fairly stable. One BSOD since the build, but I think that was software related since I was running a windows install that had been on three other computers before this one. I've since did a format/reinstall that so far has been rock solid...

Features wise Asus boards are way up there. And so far the boards that I've bought from them have been rock solid boards.
That said, I'm considering sending this asus back in favor of a gigabyte or msi board. I'd hate to be without my main pc for a month or more waiting for a RMA to come back.

A few years back, from RMA, I received an Asus NF4 board without any of the surface mount components :D.

Sorta like the machines ran out of component tape, and no SMD caps, resistors or IC's were installed. I lolled heartily.

Just recently I bought a Gene IV Gen 3 Matx board and received the old Gene IV (non gen 3) board in the box. Retailer said it came straight from Asus and refused to return it. Asus refuses to warranty it or replace it. It also refuses to post.

So, I'm going with Asrock boards now, I suppose.

Doesn't Asus own ASRock?

Edit:
NVM... Pegatron now owns them since Asus spun them off.

i've owned plenty of ASUS boards i mean plenty

M2N4-SLI (parents still using it)
M2N-SLI (first one died pci-e connectors not plugged in to 8800's killed it i think second one guy i sold it to still uses it)
M2N-E (front panel usbs are dead)
M3N-HT (sold it guy still has it)
M3N72-D (sold it guy still owns it)
M4N72-E (sold it, try to find this one again good luck)
P5K-E WIFI AP (sold it guy still owns it)
CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA (sold it guy still owns it}
SABERTOOTH X58 (i still have it, its a great oc'ing board)
AT5NM10-I (board died less than 7 months old, fought with asus about the serial number on it finally had to send them a pic of the box and board to prove that it was the boards serial number and got a new revision with the hyper threaded d525)

but my sandy bridge machine is a Gigabyte ud5 z68xp and its the best board i've ever owned.

I guess I should be thankful the ASUS MBs from my last two or three builds have not needed returning.

I just got a video card back from MSI and while they kept me informed of the steps that it went through, they did not explain what they did. I got the same card back that I sent in and it appears to have the same problem. I am going to try it in my other computer system tomorrow to see and then I am wondering what is going to happen next!

i've owned plenty of ASUS boards i mean plenty

but my sandy bridge machine is a Gigabyte ud5 z68xp and its the best board i've ever owned.

Gigabyte is the only board I have ever had that completely died on me one day. And it was like a month after the warranty expired.

yeah, that blows!! I'd be extremely angry & on a 'RAMPAGE'!!! If you pay 300+ bucks for a board that is the heart of your custom build & have to pester & argue for fair treatment while your aging system sits in a closet for months waiting for a decent replacement, after multiple RMA's, that will kill your cusomer base fast. Too bad DFI is gone. They're my favourite & I've never had issues with any board they made but you have to spend a couple of days dialing in the BIOS.

I'm in the market for a new build and this (and other threads) are making me question my plan to use ASUS components in this build (actually doing a double build so the wife will have an upgraded system as well).

I'm at a loss for words; I'm really not sure what to think of this. ...

I've had zero problems with them.

I'm at a loss for words; I'm really not sure what to think of this. ...

I've had zero problems with them.
Same here man, Just got a p8z77v-pro. Very solid & feature rich board, but after seeing some people's issues with Asus I have a bit of buyers remorse. Seriously considering going with a MSI Z77A-GD65 instead. Shoot it's ~$50 less then the p8z77v-pro...
Granted the asus has a ton more cool features. most notably fan expert ii. I LOVE that feature.

*Possible scenario* The thing is I don't want to deal with a month or two wait while my board is being RMAed then have to deal with the possibility of doing it over again because they sent my board back to me which is still not working.

Asus, are you listening? Love your boards, but you need to fix the RMA process ASAP before it's too late.

Good thing I caught this thread while I was reconsidering my choice in Z77 boards. I'll definitely be going with the Z77X-UD5H instead of the Rampage.

Memo to ASUS: your horrible business practices are costing you customers.

Good thing I caught this thread while I was reconsidering my choice in Z77 boards. I'll definitely be going with the Z77X-UD5H instead of the Rampage.

Memo to ASUS: your horrible business practices are costing you customers.

That is exactly what board I went with because of my Asus Mobo RMA experience years ago :)

I dunno, I've only had to RMA an Asus board once and it was a pleasant experience overall IIRC. It was this current board (P6T Deluxe V1) back when it first came out, and there was some sort of problem with the CPU latch where it wouldn't fully close and trying to force it down felt like I was going to break the damn thing. Tried loosening the screws for the CPU holder but it didn't make a difference. Got an RMA no problem and a new board back within a week or less. Board has been rock-solid ever since.

That was at least a couple years ago, though, so maybe it's gotten worse since then. Though I can't say I've had too many issues with any of their products.

EDIT: Actually, I think I had an A7N8X Deluxe that crapped out at some point. Can't remember what the deal was with that but it ran great for many years before it just stopped POSTing. That was more of a, "Well, this board is many years old so it's probably worn out" kinda thing, though.

Well.. hopefully my Asus P8Z77-V serves me well. So many people I know swear by Asus. If it dies on me and they give me ANY hassle at all, it will be the first and last product of theirs I ever purchase.

Many of the builds I have done prior were all built with MSI boards. I've gotten ridicule for buying what some people consider crappy boards that can't OC or something.. but honestly? They worked, and that was the important part to me.

Hrm yes this thread seals the deal for me. I know every manufacturer gets people with bad experiences, but this is a bit over the top. I was all set to get a Z77 Sabertooth, but I think I'll just go with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H.

Asus, you need to pay attention to threads like this. Not good. Not good at all.

Hrm yes this thread seals the deal for me. I know every manufacturer gets people with bad experiences, but this is a bit over the top. I was all set to get a Z77 Sabertooth, but I think I'll just go with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H.

Asus, you need to pay attention to threads like this. Not good. Not good at all.
Yeah, I'm getting that same board to replace a asus p8z77-v pro. Granted the pro has been rock solid, I just would feel better getting the gigabyte (and save ~$30 in the process).

I hope you just had back luck and I'm not trying to be harsh. I just like Asus and have had good luck with them so far. Most of the other companies don't offer same warranty period and are priced right for the amount of budget I usually have in my builds.

Back