ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG348Q Curved Monitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers today announced ROG Swift PG348Q, a 34-inch Ultra-Wide QHD (3440 x 1440) curved monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio for panoramic gaming. The 2016 CES Innovation Award-winning Swift PG348Q has a frameless design, and features the new ROG Armor Titanium and Plasma Copper color scheme and built-in LED effects. In addition, Swift PG348Q features a 100Hz fresh rate and NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology to give users incredibly smooth and fast gameplay. Swift PG348Q will be available from February, and joins the 27-inch ROG Swift displays (PG278Q, PG279Q, and PG27AQ) to diversify the ROG gaming monitor line-up as ASUS looks to strengthen its position as a worldwide leader in the high-end gaming monitor market.

"Overclocked 100 Hz refresh rate."

So they couldn't get the refresh rate native. Disappointing, but not unexpected since it's using the same panel as the Acer. Still no release date in sight... "2 moar weeks," I know :p.

I want this so bad. I'm sure this thing will have a four digit price tag attached to it when it finally releases. That will have to wait for my wallet :(

Here's hoping that ASUS does better with this panel than Acer has. I'd love one of these!

Man, screw nVidia and their proprietary technologies, haha. This looks awesome.

Man, screw nVidia and their proprietary technologies, haha. This looks awesome.

In the case of G-Sync, they came up with a better technology- before AMD even thought of using the DP protocol for variably v-sync- and AMD's half-assed solution is still trying to catch up.

That said, I do hope that the best of these technologies does converge; AMD is certainly working hard to get FreeSync up to spec, and with Intel supporting it we'll likely wind up with just one version within a year or two.

Until then, G-Sync is where it's at though.

In the case of G-Sync, they came up with a better technology- before AMD even thought of using the DP protocol for variably v-sync- and AMD's half-assed solution is still trying to catch up.

That said, I do hope that the best of these technologies does converge; AMD is certainly working hard to get FreeSync up to spec, and with Intel supporting it we'll likely wind up with just one version within a year or two.

Until then, G-Sync is where it's at though.

I wasn't aware that FreeSync was haphazardly done?

Someone posted the manual over on overclock.net:

• Turbo key has 7 options: 60,75,80,85,90,95,100 Hz.

• Over Clocking supported GPUs: NVIDIA Maxwell GPU Graphics Card like GeForce GTX TITAN X,
GeForce GTX 980 Ti, GeForce GTX 980, GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 960, GeForce GTX TITAN Z,
GeForce GTX TITAN Black, GeForce GTX TITAN, GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce
GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745 (OEM). For other GPUs, please contact the
manufactures to see if they are compatible.

• Please note that Over Clocking function/performance depends on the GPUs or contents displayed.
ASUS only provides this function. The performance or any side effect after activation is not
guaranteed.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/PG348/PG348Q_English.pdf

Sounds like this will have the same refresh rate lottery as the X34. Only question is will have the scanline issue also, my guess is it will, as that fault doesn't seem to have anything to do with the panel but the G-Sync module - when G-Sync is off or you reach max refresh there are no scanlines on the X34.

This is so hot , Ultra Wide is definitely the next big thing in gaming monitors.

Dumb Asus needs to make the PG279Q actually available instead of announcing new monitors... so much anger.

Did we really need another threed on this monitor when we already have 2 or 3 big ones ?

for over 1k$ what makes this monitor so special? I understand refresh rate but is it really worth such a high price tag? For just over a grand you can get a really nice 60 inch 4k tv and I haven't had any issues gaming on those? :confused:

I wasn't aware that FreeSync was haphazardly done?

It was half-assed. FreeSync uses the same basic idea, but with a more limited feature of the DP specification; so part of the problem is trying to do in software on the computer what G-Sync is doing in hardware on the monitor.

The other issue is that the companies making FreeSync ASICs aren't really pushing the technology. Monitors using FreeSync with the same panel as those using G-Sync support a narrower range of variable refresh than the G-Sync monitors.

Now, the reality is that the software side- which AMD has been working on effectively- will likely get cleaned up, and the hardware side will likely catch up, so that even if G-Sync still holds a technical advantage, the practical delta between the two technologies will approach nil.

The only point to be made then, is that that's not quite the case today- today, G-Sync remains the superior technology, and thus is the one to buy.

for over 1k$ what makes this monitor so special? I understand refresh rate but is it really worth such a high price tag? For just over a grand you can get a really nice 60 inch 4k tv and I haven't had any issues gaming on those? :confused:

What makes this monitor special, and the Acer X34 of the same specifications that preceded it, is that it has basically everything one could want in one monitor. Wide, high-res, curved, high refresh rate, variable refresh rate, all at once.

That's what you're paying for.

There is no 4k TV on the market that has an acceptable amount of input lag for gaming, and all of them save Panasonic require HDMI.

The selling points for me in this monitor are 21:9, curved, low response time, and G-Sync. This will be only the second monitor on the market with these features. I've always had a good experience with ASUS displays so I'm willing to drop the coin on this.

Yes it is... hard to go back to 60 Hz once you've experienced high refresh rates. It is, imho, a much bigger deal than resolution alone. I wish I hadn't listened to the people that said high refresh rates were only good for competitive gamers. Would've made a >100 Hz monitor purchase much earlier if I had known.

what kinda hardware would it take to have 2 of these bad boys at above 60 frames. i've seen the dell u3415w side by side in landscape and man it's a sight to behold

what kinda hardware would it take to have 2 of these bad boys at above 60 frames. i've seen the dell u3415w side by side in landscape and man it's a sight to behold

Nothing on the market right now. Perhaps tri sli? Nothing really does 4k with high/ultra settings on new AAA titles atm so its kind of a dice roll. Then again, quite a few of those games don't even support multi-GPU anyway. So basically nothing :)

This is a 5MP display that you're trying to run close to 100Hz, so the answer as already stated is, 'nothing currently on the market', aside from throwing a lot of GPUs (more than two) at the problem, which is in itself a whole nuther problem.

And there's this: the whole point of an ultrawide display is to get the FOV without using more than one monitor.

I have the LG 34UM95 ultra widescreen monitor. For the most part I really like it. I am interested in the curved monitors. Anyone here with any game time on an ultrawide curved monitor. Is it worth switching?
Of course the refresh rate of the Asus is a nice perk as well. The stand does nothing for me as I will mount it to my Ergotron.

I have the LG 34UM95 ultra widescreen monitor. For the most part I really like it. I am interested in the curved monitors. Anyone here with any game time on an ultrawide curved monitor. Is it worth switching?
Of course the refresh rate of the Asus is a nice perk as well. The stand does nothing for me as I will mount it to my Ergotron.

Upon further reading, it seems that refresh rate isn't even guaranteed!

It was half-assed. FreeSync uses the same basic idea, but with a more limited feature of the DP specification; so part of the problem is trying to do in software on the computer what G-Sync is doing in hardware on the monitor.

The other issue is that the companies making FreeSync ASICs aren't really pushing the technology. Monitors using FreeSync with the same panel as those using G-Sync support a narrower range of variable refresh than the G-Sync monitors.

Now, the reality is that the software side- which AMD has been working on effectively- will likely get cleaned up, and the hardware side will likely catch up, so that even if G-Sync still holds a technical advantage, the practical delta between the two technologies will approach nil.

The only point to be made then, is that that's not quite the case today- today, G-Sync remains the superior technology, and thus is the one to buy.

I would like to buy a 4k Ips G sync monitor 40" or bigger (heck even 32"<). Could you point me in the right direction so I can buy

Currently, the only difference between g sync and freesync is the ranges offered. I would hope g sync is better for the extra $300+ you spend vs the competition

FreeSync offers way more monitors than g sync that are cheaper. 4k Ips 49" freesync 10 bit for $800? You will never get that on g sync. Closest thing is a 32" thats coming out for $1300 and thats still too small for me

Very few g sync monitors (1 model?) Have more than 1 type of input (dp). as an example, my 4k freesync monitor has DP1.2/ HDMI2.0 x2/ HDMI1.4a x2/ D-SUB/ Audio IN,OUT/SERVICE USB/ USB3.0 HUB(INx1, outx3)/ OPTICAL

The freesync versions of these monitors are 75hz, the g sync 100hz isnt even guaranteed. Many people return them for this very reason. So whats the difference if you cant hit 100hz? Only difference at that point is $300 or more your spending on g sync.

Also which other monitors that have both a g sync/freesync option have different ranges between the two? These "overclocked" ranges from g sync on the x34 is the only one i can think of?

You mention g syncs partners pushing the technology? I'm guessing you meant the overclocked 100hz on the x34 panel? I dont see that being done on any other monitor. And amd partners do push thr technology. An example of the same thing in this thread for freesync by peter@nixeus

http://www.overclock.net/t/1574877/...tors-can-enlarge-hz-range-with-simple-hack/70

A huge amount of monitors already owned by consumers will be enabled with freesync over hdmi this year

10 bit was not an option on my 970 sli. I can select 10 bit on amd cards

You CANNOT use g sync + sli + dsr. You CAN use freesync + crossfire + vsr

G sync had A rough start and more features were added over time in case we all forgot

In less time freesync has more monitors and more partners than g sync that are cheaper than the competition. Cheapest non tn freesync I see on newegg is $180, cheapest freesync tn is $130. Cheapest g sync is $280 for a TN, all non tn is $400+

"AMD and its partners have now announced or shipped 40 displays across the DisplayPort and HDMI interfaces, making AMD FreeSync the world&#8217;s foremost dynamic refresh technology by 2:1. One last note, FreeSync will be available over HDMI and also will work on an eyefinity group. HDMI enabled monitors will be available starting Q1 2016".

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-technology-group-tech-update-december-2015.html

Last edited:
This is a 5MP display that you're trying to run close to 100Hz, so the answer as already stated is, 'nothing currently on the market', aside from throwing a lot of GPUs (more than two) at the problem, which is in itself a whole nuther problem.

And there's this: the whole point of an ultrawide display is to get the FOV without using more than one monitor.

This is also complete bs.

Sli

https://youtu.be/sUE12bWrpgI

https://youtu.be/-XaxQF-mUZc

Single card

https://youtu.be/0josNoeT8ME

https://youtu.be/y-gQh9lDrzE

Last edited:

Read the whole post. Hes asking about running two of them together, spanning the game across two monitors. Looks like he was pretty close to maxing out his vram( in the first link you posted before your edit). No way in hell you're going to get 60fps on two of these monitors. In fact, he's less than a GB away from maxing out, and that's just one monitor.
So, I'll reiterate what I said before- Nothing right now is gonna have the ponies to run a new AAA title at that rez with awesome settings.
You should pay attention to your link before calling BS.

Read the whole post. Hes asking about running two of them together, spanning the game across two monitors. Looks like he was pretty close to maxing out his vram( in the first link you posted before your edit). No way in hell you're going to get 60fps on two of these monitors. In fact, he's less than a GB away from maxing out, and that's just one monitor.
So, I'll reiterate what I said before- Nothing right now is gonna have the ponies to run a new AAA title at that rez with awesome settings.
You should pay attention to your link before calling BS.

What would be the point in running 2 of these?

...Currently, the only difference between g sync and freesync is the ranges offered. I would hope g sync is better for the extra $300+ you spend vs the competition... <lots of other fanboi BS>

You've just shown the point. Those 'ranges offered' ARE THE ENTIRE POINT of variable v-sync technologies, and FreeSync displays lag here. 60Hz panel can only go down to 40Hz, what?

That's a big deal, especially when the FreeSync spec allows for far more.

I am talking about the G-Sync technology here, and more specifically as it applies to specific monitors that come in versions with each. Monitor vendors are free to use these technologies in any monitor with any panel and any set of firmware options they see fit.

And it looks like you are one of the very few people that see a benefit of a 10-bit content creation workflow. Good for you- but you're not an average gamer, or even average content creator. Yes, it's annoying that Nvidia locks up 10-bit color support in their Quadro line. No, that doesn't really make much of a difference unless you're trying to do two very disparate things with one display.

You've just shown the point. Those 'ranges offered' ARE THE ENTIRE POINT of variable v-sync technologies, and FreeSync displays lag here. 60Hz panel can only go down to 40Hz, what?

That's a big deal, especially when the FreeSync spec allows for far more.

I am talking about the G-Sync technology here, and more specifically as it applies to specific monitors that come in versions with each. Monitor vendors are free to use these technologies in any monitor with any panel and any set of firmware options they see fit.

And it looks like you are one of the very few people that see a benefit of a 10-bit content creation workflow. Good for you- but you're not an average gamer, or even average content creator. Yes, it's annoying that Nvidia locks up 10-bit color support in their Quadro line. No, that doesn't really make much of a difference unless you're trying to do two very disparate things with one display.

10 bit seems required for upcoming HDR support.

Ok so my question to you is...what other monitors offer both a g sync and freesync version that have different ranges other than the x34? You can modify the freesync range easily with CRU.

As far as I see there's one monitor where this is the case. The refresh rate of g sync is "overclocked" and not even guaranteed. So $300+ for a benefit you may not even receive? But it's supposed to be flat out superior right

Last edited:

Ok so my question to you is...what other monitors offer both a g sync and freesync version that have different ranges other than the x34? You can modify the freesync range easily with CRU

As far as I see there's one monitor where this is the case. The refresh rate of g sync is "overclocked" and not even guaranteed

Sure; 10-bit support would be required to get the most out of UHD 4k Blu-rays and any streaming media that uses that standard. We can assume that Nvidia will support this in the future, and if that's what you're after, then you're a bit ahead of the industry, and if that's what you're looking toward for content creation, then more power to you.

And I'm not really versed in other monitors, as I'm not personally interested. I could easily grab a cheap G-Sync monitor, but I'm looking for a real, total upgrade, and the X34 G-Sync/PG248Q are as close as it gets (and yet still not perfect).

And yeah, the G-Sync version is 'overclockable'; any reports of models (that weren't otherwise defective, thanks Acer!) that couldn't hit 100Hz, hit 95Hz. The Freesync version is stuck at 75Hz.

Ok so my question to you is...what other monitors offer both a g sync and freesync version that have different ranges other than the x34? You can modify the freesync range easily with CRU.

As far as I see there's one monitor where this is the case. The refresh rate of g sync is "overclocked" and not even guaranteed. So $300+ for a benefit you may not even receive?
10-bit color support can be added in a driver update. NVIDIA just has to be willing to let go of the lockout for products outside of the Quadro line of cards.

You don't have to modify the range of G-Sync. The G-Sync module handles the scaling of the display and has an effective floor of 15 FPS, with the display operating at a refresh rate double the framerate under 30. The effective range would therefore be 15 FPS - max refresh rate. On my PG278Q that works out to be 30-144 Hz. This has been consistent across all G-Sync equipped displays, as far as I'm aware.

Now when it comes to the overclocking of the panel, the outcome will be the result of any difference in quality that are within manufacturing tolerance of the panel and the quality/length of the DisplayPort cable being used. 75 Hz is what is guaranteed in this panel. The variable refresh rate range of G-Sync has nothing to do with how far the panel can be overclocked.

Sure; 10-bit support would be required to get the most out of UHD 4k Blu-rays and any streaming media that uses that standard. We can assume that Nvidia will support this in the future, and if that's what you're after, then you're a bit ahead of the industry, and if that's what you're looking toward for content creation, then more power to you.

And I'm not really versed in other monitors, as I'm not personally interested. I could easily grab a cheap G-Sync monitor, but I'm looking for a real, total upgrade, and the X34 G-Sync/PG248Q are as close as it gets (and yet still not perfect).

And yeah, the G-Sync version is 'overclockable'; any reports of models (that weren't otherwise defective, thanks Acer!) that couldn't hit 100Hz, hit 95Hz. The Freesync version is stuck at 75Hz.

http://wccftech.com/amd-bringing-better-pixels-to-pc-hdr-and-larger-color-space-to-consumers-10bpp/

So your saying g sync is the better tech because of one monitor with no guarantees, ok

They had to do something to justify the price difference right? One could say the lack of g sync monitors makes it inferior.

Last edited:
http://wccftech.com/amd-bringing-better-pixels-to-pc-hdr-and-larger-color-space-to-consumers-10bpp/

So your saying g sync is the better tech because of one monitor with no guarantees, ok

And I'm guessing you didn't know can modify freesync ranges with cru.

They had to do something to justify the price difference right?

Not just one monitor; that's just the type of monitor that I'm interested in, and happens to be the topic of this thread.

G-Sync is a hardware solution. FreeSync is a largely software solution that relies on prediction algorithms to try to emulate what G-Sync does in hardware. From the get-go, G-Sync has been the superior implementation, though it is certainly possible that FreeSync may reach 'experience parity' with further development.

Not just one monitor; that's just the type of monitor that I'm interested in, and happens to be the topic of this thread.

G-Sync is a hardware solution. FreeSync is a largely software solution that relies on prediction algorithms to try to emulate what G-Sync does in hardware. From the get-go, G-Sync has been the superior implementation, though it is certainly possible that FreeSync may reach 'experience parity' with further development.

Well if the "possibility" of 25hz is worth $350+ and being stuck with nvidia

Once freesync utilizes hdmi I'm sure we will see a hack to let nvidia use it, until nvidia blocks it that is

Beats the piss out of being stuck with AMD's drivers, and you get the best solution- it's plenty worth it!

I just came off of AMD this saturday. Crimson loads a whole helluva lot faster than nVcp does. Also, I should mention since 2001 and a Radeon 7500 64MB AGP, I've never once had a problem with AMD/ATi drivers.

Beats the piss out of being stuck with AMD's drivers, and you get the best solution- it's plenty worth it!

Have no issues with drivers, what issues have you had? Xdma works better than nVidia sli Solution. My crossfire is smoother than sli all day. Speaking from experience here

The X34 has far less issues than the FreeSync model does.

I'm not sure if it is the monitor or AMD's drivers, but there is a huge thread with complaints on Acer's forums. Flickering, tearing, black screen issues, etc: http://community.acer.com/t5/Predat...-Problems-Thread-ATTN-Acer/m-p/395886#U395886

The X34 has some issues of its own but none that really affect usability.

QC on the g sync version is horrible as well. There's plenty of threads about its issues

Back