ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

Judging from the Engadget video, the Asus monitor is definitely not glossy. It looks either matte or semi-gloss.
Are you referring to this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdlSY4youIQ

The screen in it looked rather glossy, especially at 0:55 to 1:00. My biggest concern with that however is something else. Around 3:05, when he says 'one of the first things you'll notice is the contrast ratio'. Well, the first thing I noticed was the abysmal black crush. I wonder what's causing this. The screen I'm using currently performs so-so in that regard, but the screen in the video looked much worse.

600€, too expensive for me. was waiting to see the price, but now i will pass.

so it will be a korean 27'' or the VG23AH. dont know what to choose...

Sorry, my bad. In the Republic of Gamers You tube video one of the Asus reps said the pricing was going to be: 700 AUD = ~725 USD = ~600 EUR.

Not $600 like I had stated earlier. There is an ongoing discussion on Engadget regarding the monitor and pricing here:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/asus-launches-pb278q-wqhd-monitor-for-pros-and-gamers-that-appre/

Are you referring to this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdlSY4youIQ

The screen in it looked rather glossy, especially at 0:55 to 1:00. My biggest concern with that however is something else. Around 3:05, when he says 'one of the first things you'll notice is the contrast ratio'. Well, the first thing I noticed was the abysmal black crush. I wonder what's causing this. The screen I'm using currently performs so-so in that regard, but the screen in the video looked much worse.

I guess you've never seen a video of a glossy monitor before. Check out videos for iMacs, Samsung S27B950 and others. Then compare them to this Asus monitor. It's not even close. This is not a glossy monitor. I think this might actually be a PLS panel from the way a slight sheen is being reflecting off the screen, indicating a semi-gloss panel. But it could just as well be a matte.

The black crush could be caused by the way the room lighting is or the video camera itself.

We won't know any more until a review gets posted somewhere.

This looks promising, I guess it just depends if it is $300-400 better than a Korean 27 inch.

Just noticed this is listed at a couple of places, not stock yet but the initial price is under €550 inc. tax (€463 no tax.) So it's a bit cheaper than the Dell U2713HM. Minus the sales tax the currency conversion puts this at $585. US price will probably be a little less than the straight conversion.

Unless this Asus has significantly less latency I'd be inclined to pay the bit extra for the Dell.

Have you considered the new Nixeus Vue 27" 2560*1440 monitor for about $465 from Amazon, or $450 if you order directly from Comp-U-Plus. The company selling them is based out of the US and has a good history. I have one and just ordered another. It is called a glossy screen, but I would classify it as Semi-Glossy. Check out the user ratings on Amazon.

Was going to go with the Dell, but with this releasing soon I think I will go with the Asus. The image retention issues with the dell has me a little worried. At 100 dollars cheaper, 5ms (g2g) vs 8ms (g2g) of the dell, and it comes with all the cables which is nice.

It's actually using a PLS panel. So semi-glossy then? That'd be nice.

PLS panels are not glossy just by virtue of being PLS. They all use a light AG, at least the 850D does. The 970B has a glass panel.

I hope this is a good gaming monitor. I've been looking for 2560 x 1440 resolution monitor for a long time.

PLS & A-MVA panels use what has been termed "semi-glossy," coating. Technically it's "semi-matte," since it is indeed a matte coating, but semi-glossy sounds better. There is actually a real "semi-glossy," coating, but so far only the Asus VG23AH seems to use it

ref002.jpg

After seeing Linus's video, I'm 99% sure that it is using semi-glossy coating like my S27A850D.

Is it 75HZ? At least a little better then 60HZ. If it has low input lag and good responsiveness this could be an excellent gaming monitor!

It is 100% 60hz and it won't have low input lag. It will have around 1 frame like every other 2560x1440 display with multiple inputs & and an OSD.

Damnn... Why can someone build a perfect 2560 x 1600 gaming monitor? Is it that hard to make one?
I really wanted this one.

Preorder is already up! $699!!!!

Amazon, tigerdirect, j&r and bh photo take the preorders

That Newegg deal seems to be the way to go. My only concern is that many people have stated that it has a 6-bit A-FRC panel based on the manual, although I haven't heard of Samsung creating any of those. I wish they would clear this up.

The s27b970 is an awesome monitor, easily one of the best i've ever seen. The price doesn't quite make sense though! I mean you can buy a u3011 for the same price - I don't get that.

The s27b970 is an awesome monitor, easily one of the best i've ever seen. The price doesn't quite make sense though! I mean you can buy a u3011 for the same price - I don't get that.

Hmmm let me think for the same price I can get:

A large, excessively grainy wide gamut display with mediocre black levels and a likely chance of getting one plagued by the typical IPS lottery issues

or

A crystal clear, issue free PLS display with proper sRGB coverage, better preset colours and better motion performance.

How is the gaming on Samsung sb970b?

It's pretty much the same as every other 1440p display with a scaler, except it has better colours.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-samsung-s27b970d-led.html
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_s27b970d.htm

These will have bleeding, likely more common than the Samsung S27A850D & Dell U2713 given the 700$ price point. In terms of features this is the cheapest 27" 1440p display yet (not counting the Korean models) since the HP ZR2740w lacks extra inputs, an OSD and scaler.

The U2713 launched @800$ while the S27A850D retailed for 900$ at launch, they are cutting corners somewhere to get the price down to 700$, or maybe I'm just being negative and the lower price point is a response to the Korean displays, but these are greedy companies we are talking about, so I doubt it.

It likely uses the same panel as the Samsung S27A850D, so it will be 8 bit. So far the only real PLS issue has been bleeding while IPS can suffer from bleeding, tinting, burn-in, un-even colour temperature and dark vertical brightness stripes near the bottom of the display.

I guess i will wait for full reviews on this. Then decide if i should get this or wait for LG EA83. I really want Samsung SB970D, but damn expensive. And TFTcentral review said its not good for gaming, but has excellent picture quality.

I guess i will wait for full reviews on this. Then decide if i should get this or wait for LG EA83. I really want Samsung SB970D, but damn expensive. And TFTcentral review said its not good for gaming, but has excellent picture quality.

I get the impression you don't really know what you want or how these (1440p with inputs+OSD's) displays perform. The S27B970D is pretty much the same as every other 1440p display with extra inputs in terms of input lag (1 frame, TFT Central's input lag they are inaccurate) and pixel response times (ghosting). 1 frame of input lag is only going to be an issue for CRT and low-lag 60hz/120hz display users. If you aren't using a CRT right now and you didn't consider input lag when buying your current display it probably won't be an issue.

If you want a 1440p display with low input lag you have to get a OSD-less model like the ACD , HP ZR2740w or korean displays which only have 1 dual-link dvi input. If you want something with higher refresh rates and low input lag you are in the wrong thread, you should be looking at a 120-144hz TN or the over-clockable Yamakasi Catleap from 120hz.net...

Last edited:
I get the impression you don't really know what you want or how these displays perform. The S27B970D is pretty much the same as every other 1440p display with extra inputs in terms of input lag (1 frame, TFT Central's input lag they are inaccurate) and pixel response times (ghosting).

If you want a 1440p display with low input lag you have to get a OSD-less model like the ACD , HP ZR2740w or korean displays which only have 1 dual-link dvi input. If you want something with higher refresh rates and low input lag you are in the wrong thread, you should be looking at a 120-144hz TN or the over-clockable Yamakasi Catleap from 120hz.net...

Yeah dude I almost preordered the yamkasi Catleap 2B. But i was worried i might get dead pixel. And cant return it. Just tell me, will i be happy with Samsung SB970B. I play mostly WOW, BF3, Counter Strike: GO, and Crysis. Then i will just order it.

Yeah dude I almost preordered the yamkasi Catleap 2B. But i was worried i might get dead pixel. And cant return it. Just tell me, will i be happy with Samsung SB970B. I play mostly WOW, BF3, Counter Strike: GO, and Crysis. Then i will just order it.

I updated my last post, but I'll repost.

1 frame of input lag is only going to be an issue for CRT and low-lag 60hz/120hz display users. If you aren't using a CRT right now and you didn't consider input lag when buying your current display it probably won't be an issue.

If none of the above applies, the 970D will be great, and the colours will probably blow you away, just make sure to turn down the brightness to less than half way (25-30 Brightness setting in the OSD will be good) because IPS/PLS have poor blacks at high brightness levels and they all are set to maximum brightness by default.

Last edited:
I updated my last post, but I'll repost.

1 frame of input lag is only going to be an issue for CRT and low-lag 60hz/120hz display users. If you aren't using a CRT right now and you didn't consider input lag when buying your current display it probably won't be an issue.

If none of the above applies, the 970D will be great, and the colours will probably blow you away, just make sure to turn down the brightness to half way (20-30 Brightness setting in the OSD will be good) because IPS/PLS have poor blacks at high brightness.

Thank you so much!!! Here comes Samsung SB970D. I love this forum. A lot of helpful people are here. Why havent i started posting my problems before. Thank you again NCX.

Thank you so much!!! Here comes Samsung SB970D. I love this forum. A lot of helpful people are here. Why havent i started posting my problems before. Thank you again NCX.

No problem, just remember the 970D has edge to edge glass (reflective), if you don't like reflections then it would be wise to wait for reviews of the PB278Q to see how it compares to its' matte brethren (U2713 & S27A850D)

I'm going to sit out ordering this early and wait for some reviews. I also hope the review site doesn't get a cherry picked monitor and gets the same one everyone else would get.

Back