ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

Hey guys I have a question for you. I just picked up one of the ASUS PB278Q displays and am really loving it so far, for me it's a no-brainer over 1080p. Anyway, as far as overclocking this display goes, I just found out anything over 60hz causes frame skipping. So my question is, is it better to leave it at 60hz and have 0 frames skip or to overclock it to 80hz where I had it and have some frames skip? It definitely felt smoother at 80hz even with the frames skipping, I couldn't really tell until I used the application to detect it, what do you guys think?

Hey guys I have a question for you. I just picked up one of the ASUS PB278Q displays and am really loving it so far, for me it's a no-brainer over 1080p. Anyway, as far as overclocking this display goes, I just found out anything over 60hz causes frame skipping. So my question is, is it better to leave it at 60hz and have 0 frames skip or to overclock it to 80hz where I had it and have some frames skip? It definitely felt smoother at 80hz even with the frames skipping, I couldn't really tell until I used the application to detect it, what do you guys think?

i think if you don't notice the frame skipping and everything appears more fluid to you, then leave it overclocked. i'm neurotic and just knowing that it's skipping frames would bug me. this is the old debate of subjective vs. objective testing. if something tests worse objectively but looks/sounds/feels better subjectively, then what's the difference? ah hell i might overclock my panel and see if i like it better.

Yeah you're right, I think it's just a placebo effect, after switching back and forth it probably levels out to about the same except I'm getting constant frames at 60hz. Ohwell it's still worth it to me compared to 1080p, I know some 1440p monitors can go 100hz+ but I'm not so sure of their quality and reliability to make it a worthwhile investment. Thanks.

Can anyone compare this monitor to the Samsung S27A850D?

Same panel, but different company?

congrats man. 2 months later and i'm still impressed everytime i turn it on.

congrats man. 2 months later and i'm still impressed everytime i turn it on.

I had gotten a good sum of Amazon gift cards for Christmas so I figured I would invest in a proper good monitor, though not to say my current one isn't haha (PA248q) but since I sit like 3-4ft away it looks rather small, and yeah 2560x1440 will be super small from that distance but I can bump the desktop DPI by 150% lol. Plus, my secondary monitor on my other desk is on the fritz... old Hannspree 28", so at the very least the PA248q will have a nice home on that rig. In the end the 27" cost me about $300 after giftcards so I figure it was a good deal at $549.99 with amazon prime :p

Almost pulled the trigger on a Crossover 2755AMG or worse yet, MX279h...so glad I didn't. Rather not take a risk on a Korean monitor or waste the screen size on a 1080p. In the end I needed a monitor for the 21st century that will last the test of time... I use a U2711 at work so I've become accustomed to the super resolution hahaha I could have gotten the U2713hm for $589.99 with prime but I do game and I read the asus has a slightly better input latency...

I would have gotten the viewsonic VP2770 if it werent for the fact I didn't want to spend an additional $200 on top of the $300 I already put in after giftcard...

Funny question though...would the stand for the PA248q work on the PB278q? I am not a huge fan of the swivel base being UNDER the base (what was ASUS thinking??)

Curious if any of you have used this on a PS4 ? I've got one for my gaming PC and enjoy it , was considering adding a 2nd to put beside it for both a 2nd pc/work and also have a PS4 hooked up to it.

Just wondered how it handled the different resolutions for PS4 games and Blu-Rays and so on ?

Ran out today and picked up another 760 for SLI in anticipation of Monday ^.^ So ecstatic!

What's the difference between the asus pb278q and the benq bl2710pt ?

-The benq uses a different but similar panel tech
-benq I believe has usb 3.0 hub
-benq does not use PWM

Look at the reviews at tftcentral for more info

that and the PB278q was $549.99 with prime on Amazon, they keep running out at that price lol...and the bl2710pt is (currently) $664 with prime.

and it's a shame that the cost is up there as I was eyeing that along with the VP2770..but $549 was the most I was going hahaha

Worst tease ever...just got automatic email from UPS that my asus arrived!!! Come on work day, hurry up!

UPDATE: holy crap what a great display. Side by side with my PA248q there is a little color difference with the monitors both set for sRGB mode. Not that bad though hahaha. Immediately threw on some Farcry 3 on Ultra settings. Visual bliss! So glad I picked up the second GTX760 to enable SLI.

Here is it side by side with the PA248q. Have to cover up my speakers HAHAHA, since taking the pic I've rose the monitors up some tilted down and the satellites to the SP2500 on their side so they are facing me without any hindrance. I've a feeling I'll be keeping it set up like this and not give the 248q to my fiancee like I originally planned HAHAHAHA. He can buy his own monitor!

Last edited:
Well, I recently had my apartment burglarized and found myself needing to replace my HannsG 281DPB workhorse.

I finally stepped into the LED PLS/IPS world and purchased a PB278Q for $350 refurbished. It was between this or a Qnix.

Here is it side by side with the PA248q. Have to cover up my speakers HAHAHA, since taking the pic I've rose the monitors up some tilted down and the satellites to the SP2500 on their side so they are facing me without any hindrance. I've a feeling I'll be keeping it set up like this and not give the 248q to my fiancee like I originally planned HAHAHAHA. He can buy his own monitor!

Nice!

Here's my backlight bleed. Can this panel do much better? I normally try not to get OCD about this stuff but i dont plan on buying another monitor for years, and i have another 20 some days with amazon.
I gotta say the corners are a bit much in games with dark settings/environments. If it's typical, i'll get over it.

A6LxJ2e.jpg

edit: this is with brightness set to 23.

Last edited:
Ive had this monitor for about 9 months now. Was very pleased with it, but a weird issue has arrived...
It keeps swapping modes (user,standard,scenery etc). Its not consistent either. Sometimes it doesnt happen at all for a hour. Then it keeps swapping modes quite fast for 5 min straight. Most of the time its just a matter of the mode menu popping up briefly. Thats really annoying, but when the swapping modes happends its becoming unwatchable.. Guessing my user button(s) are screwed up somehow? (wich is weird,coz i never use em). Please help...

Back