ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

Just finished setting it up. Had Fall yard work to do before I could mess with it.

I have to apologize for the quality of the below images. I couldn't find my wife's Nikon so I went with the iPhone 5. I made the room as dark as I could for it being a sunny afternoon. There is a double french door 30 ft in the background that shows in the picture. I decided these pictures, though poor, do show the backlight bleed.

I toned the Brightness down from 80% to 50% before taking the photos. In my opinion, the bleed is worse than that on my U2412M (but I run it at 35% brightness). The AG coating appears to be lighter though.

u2cMu.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. How do you like the monitor so far? Is it a keeper? I am currently using a Dell 2407WFP which I am happy with, but would like to start working with 1440P resolution.

I actually have a work issue that I had to VPN in to work to troubleshoot. It's nice having so much real estate, but the text is so small. I knew that going into the purchase, I'll see if I get used to it.

Also, I have no dead/stuck pixels from what I've seen. Still haven't run it through any games.

DAMNN!!! I am getting mine Monday. Changed the shipping to 1 day delivery. So is the back led bleeding that bad???

I really hope i get a decent one. Please tell us your thoughts on it so far.

And Seriously... we are in 2012, when will they perfect the led back bleeding. We are paying so much money. It should be perfect in every way.

When they stop using edge lit is when bleed goes away.

@weagle
I hope you can provide some insight on input lag and gaming for this. I've come down to buying either this monitor or driving to Microcenter and picking up an Auria.

yeahh if this is that bad. i guess my 2nd option will be Yamakasi Catleap 270. Until the Eizo EV2736w or the LG EA83 comes out in November.

@weagle thank you for the pics, but that does not look like backlight bleeding to me.

The front shot shows bright areas most noticeable in both left and right lower corners. However, each angle shot shows increased brightness in the farthest corner, and no bright spots in the corner closest to the camera/angle of view. This is consistent to normal IPS/PLS glow. Backlight bleeding would be the same regardless of the angle of view.

If you don't mind, I would like you to do a simple test. Position yourself directly in front of each corner so that you look at the affected area straight on, not from the center of the screen. If you still see it then it's bleeding, but if it disappears then it's PLS glow.

@Chipicao - i followed your suggestion and looked at each corner straight on at eye level. I could not see any light leaking from either corner.

Never have performed an input lag test so pardon if the below image is meaningless. On the right is the U2412M A03. I cloned the display off my GTX670, the PB278Q is at 1920x1200. Looks like the PB278Q is slightly slower?

1gNyO.jpg

wET7b.jpg

Edit: I've had the chance to play a couple games (WoW and BF3) since my earlier posts. This display did not disappoint me in either game. I spent a lot of time just looking around in WoW as I just found the PB278Q to be stunning. I had been playing on a 1080p 27" Samsung P270H before buying the U2412M. The PB278Q is the best of both worlds, large display and sharp detail. In BF3 I did not notice any issues in playing. I played a few rounds on a 40 man Metro map and I felt I was seeing things as well as I did on the U2412M.

Last edited:
Decided to take another picture with the Nikon now that it is dark. Had a little trouble focusing. I've lowered the brightness to 35%. I do not notice those three bright areas when using the monitor. The black on this forum looks consistent across the bottom of the screen. I didn't notice it in BF3 Metro either. Looking forward to other people's thoughts. Hopefully a review will be out soon.

FOJAL.jpg

Last edited:
Does the monitor in real life look like those photographs? The last picture has a bluish rectangle and the spots on the right are not just brighter, but more of a grey? Is the monitor supposed to be displaying a solid blue background? Or is that a black screen and the camera is trying to adjust the exposure to show whatever it can?

Trying to figure out if the camera shots are making this look way more scarier than it is.

You might need at least some backlighting or a simple graphic/words in the center to focus on

Edited above post with a new photo as the camera really did a number on that previous one. That is a black background. If I'm sitting in a dark room staring at the black screen, I can see the slightest glow in the lower left, lower right and top right. The lower left is really minor. The camera makes it look worse than it is in person.

The blue rectangle is the power led... it is on the bottom of the lower bezel so it doesn't stare you in the face while using the monitor.

Last edited:
How tall is the monitor when set at the lowest height? The dimensions listed don't mention if this is the min or max.

Phys. Dimension with Stand(WxHxD):643x552.3x218 mm

@Chipicao - i followed your suggestion and looked at each corner straight on at eye level. I could not see any light leaking from either corner.
Excellent! This means it wasn't bleeding, just panel glow. It's probably more pronounced because of the screen size - the larger the screen, the sharper your viewing angle will be towards the edges.

There seems to be a bit of bleeding in the second pic, but if you say the camera makes it worse, then it's still better than what I've experienced with Dell U2713HM.

I appreciate the input lag test, but running the monitor on a non-native resolution might increase the lag.

Edit: I've had the chance to play a couple games (WoW and BF3) since my earlier posts. This display did not disappoint me in either game. I spent a lot of time just looking around in WoW as I just found the PB278Q to be stunning. I had been playing on a 1080p 27" Samsung P270H before buying the U2412M. The PB278Q is the best of both worlds, large display and sharp detail. In BF3 I did not notice any issues in playing. I played a few rounds on a 40 man Metro map and I felt I was seeing things as well as I did on the U2412M.

I know it may sounbd silly, but with regards to gaming, which monitor do you prefer for gaming, the 27" at 1080P you used to have or this new Asus, and why?

Thanks for your time!

Nice. I still didn't get mine yet. Can you put up some pics and your opinion after you run some games on it please. Thanks in advance.

Here is a handful of pics I took. I don't have the best camera and the pictures of the black background make it look terrible. Its not that noticeable in person, and I cant see any bleeding at all in games. This is at 50% brightness using the standard color mode.

http://imgur.com/a/KjuRT#0

The monitor is really damn bright. Even at 50% brightness I can feel it straining my eyes.

Why not turn the brightness down?

Since it uses the same panel as the 850D and VP2770 set the brightness to 20 for around 120-130cdm/2 brightness which is the industry standard.

@ Rokh. wow you got a cherry picked monitor. It looks like you scored a nice monitor. And you play the 2 games i play. Please tell us how is the game play on wow and guildwars 2? Thank you in advance :)

The monitor is really damn bright. Even at 50% brightness I can feel it straining my eyes.

Once you've had a few days to acclimate. You won't even notice. I keep mine at about 35 brightness and it's totally comfortable, now (I have an 850D, BTW).

The brightness seriously jacked with me at first, though. After a few days... all good.

Enjoy.

WoW looks and plays great. The game looks so much more vibrant and alive compared to my Samsung T260HD. As far as I can tell I am not seeing any ghosting or experiencing any input lag.

If I can say one negative thing about the monitor it is the PLS glow. Its not bad but its definitely there.
Mostly noticeable in the two bottom corners in darker scenes.

Agree with everything Rokh says regarding the monitor. WoW looks great on this monitor. First time I logged in, it was like playing a different game.

In comparing this to my previous 1080P monitor, I definitely like the extra resolution when gaming on this monitor. I think the increased resolution makes things just pop.

I've been running at 35% brightness, but I may tune it down even more per the above recommendation. Would a 850D or VP2770 profile be appropriate for this monitor?

Does anyone know how the pre-order bonus is supposed to work?
I pre-ordered from Newegg but I have not heard anything about it from them.

Would a 850D or VP2770 profile be appropriate for this monitor?

Oddly...I had both the 970D and the 850D in my house for about a week (ended up keeping my current 850D which I love) ... but I still think some of the 970D ICC profiles (from TFT central) look the best on the 850. The 850's look okay ... but the "Natural Color" one ... from the 970D "collection" one ... looks the best.to my eye.

So I guess my point is to say ... give them a try and see what you think. The panels are siblings for sure and so couldn't hurt.

I Just got it and i set it up. so far so good. i dont see any bleeding except top right, and the bleeding is not even noticeable. And i have it on 100% brightness. Didnt mess with the setting yet NO dead pixel. OMG this monitor is absolutely amazing. Will post more about it as i use it. Will keep you guys up to date.

And Where the hell is usb 3.0. I am pretty sure this monitor had usb 3.0 connection when i first read the specs.

Last edited:
Got mine today. A little BLB in the bottom right and top right corners, but overall I'd rate it as good. Image wise, I do prefer it over the two Microcenter Auria displays I recently picked up. The stand is excellent, the bezel is a good 1cm more narrow, and I think that the contrast for black text on white background is significantly superior. I suck at making adjustments though, so some of that could be as simple as that.

At this point, I will probably pair it up and take my two Aurias to work.

I took pictures with various exposure and ISO settings to try to accurately represent the BLB, and here's the best I was able to come up with. Anything that you may see on the left side is just regular IPS/PLS glow - I intentionally took the picture biased to the right side.

OXNkU.jpg

Got mine today. A little BLB in the bottom right and top right corners, but overall I'd rate it as good. Image wise, I do prefer it over the two Microcenter Auria displays I recently picked up. The stand is excellent, the bezel is a good 1cm more narrow, and I think that the contrast for black text on white background is significantly superior. I suck at making adjustments though, so some of that could be as simple as that.

At this point, I will probably pair it up and take my two Aurias to work.

I took pictures with various exposure and ISO settings to try to accurately represent the BLB, and here's the best I was able to come up with. Anything that you may see on the left side is just regular IPS/PLS glow - I intentionally took the picture biased to the right side.

OXNkU.jpg

Wow, I think that looks great for BLB, actually.

Your picture came out nice.. when i try to take picture i get the BLB top and bottom right. But without the camera the bleeding is hardly noticeable. So far i am extremely happy with my monitor. And please verify didnt this monitor supposed to have usb 3.0?

This monitor is looking fantastic. Thanks for all the info and pics guys, think I'm finally going to pull the trigger. (Yeah I'm a wuss)

And please verify didnt this monitor supposed to have usb 3.0?

This monitor never did not have USB 3.0 in the specs; it had built-in speakers. You're thinking of the Dell U2713HM, perhaps?

I just picked one of these up yesterday and there are 2 stuck (bright) pixels on the bottom left corner. Aside from that this monitor is beautiful. I came from a ACD 27" and the colors on this thing are insane. I thought the AG coating would turn me off since I actually prefer the glossy screen, but the AG is not bad at all.

I just picked one of these up yesterday and there are 2 stuck (bright) pixels on the bottom left corner. Aside from that this monitor is beautiful. I came from a ACD 27" and the colors on this thing are insane. I thought the AG coating would turn me off since I actually prefer the glossy screen, but the AG is not bad at all.

Would you say the colors are just as vibrant as the ACD?

I got 1 dead pixel. Its so damnn tiny, you cant even notice it, and its only noticeable on white screen. If you really want to see it you have to go really really close to see it. Other than that the monitor absolutely amazing. I am loving it.

I ordered this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/27.htm#colormunki_smile. Entry Level Calibration. I am gonna use that on my monitor. So i can get perfect colors.

I got 1 dead pixel. Its so damnn tiny, you cant even notice it, and its only noticeable on white screen. If you really want to see it you have to go really really close to see it. Other than that the monitor absolutely amazing. I am loving it.

I ordered this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/27.htm#colormunki_smile. Entry Level Calibration. I am gonna use that on my monitor. So i can get perfect colors.

Mine is quite small and I have to be looking for it to find it. Newegg said I could exchange it and ASUS said I could advance RMA it. I'm not sure which route to take but I have to leave for business soon so I might just RMA it. Who knows. I want a calibration tool as well but I'm willing to put down a little bit of money if I can use it on my TVs as well.

Back