ASUS P6T Deluxe @ [H]

i am liking this mobo based on reviews; however, i'm wondering a few things.

note: the first and last computer i built was around 2002. single agp vid card, pci soundcard, cpu, hook it all up, done

using this picture for reference:
2593_l.jpg

are these motherboards designed around having a dual width video card or will using one block another expansion port? say for instance if you were to install the 1st 4890 in the black pcie slot, would the second go in the white one, allowing you to have the other two pci slots and single pcie slot left for other cards (i.e. tv tuner, capture card, etc.)?

first one would go in the blue one, blocking the one underneath (to the left on the picture) of it. Second one would go on the white PCIe... blocking the black one.

how about one in blue pciex16 and one in black pciex16? hopefully i can get all the usb, 1394, etc. connects under the last card in the black slot. or is this not possible for some reason?

that way i'd be leaving open a pciex4 (black), pci (white, left), and a pciex16 (white) for the future.

not quite sure what the spec says the spacing should be, but asus lists the board at 12" (left to right). the ratio of the distance between the blue and black slots to the full width is .274 (thanks trusty ruler). multiply by 12 --> 3.29"~=84mm cf slot spacing. i see that there exist flexible cf cables of 100mm length for max cf slot spacing of ~87mm, so this should work right? *crosses fingers* (CF bridge here)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The last pcie slot is either 1x or 8x, no setting for 16x, so I don't know if that would create a bottle neck or not.

cool, if that's the only issue, that may be a go then

another site did a review of the evga x58 sli with sli gtx 280 oc's, conclusion was indiscernable difference between 16x-16x vs 16x-8x: here

We have never been able to see differences in 8X SLI setups on PCIe 2....there is simply more bandwidth there than can be close to utilized.

i am liking this mobo based on reviews; however, i'm wondering a few things.

note: the first and last computer i built was around 2002. single agp vid card, pci soundcard, cpu, hook it all up, done

using this picture for reference:
2593_l.jpg

are these motherboards designed around having a dual width video card or will using one block another expansion port? say for instance if you were to install the 1st 4890 in the black pcie slot, would the second go in the white one, allowing you to have the other two pci slots and single pcie slot left for other cards (i.e. tv tuner, capture card, etc.)?

Depends on the video card assume you lose both pci slots but i do think you will keep 1... I have a p6t but haven't toyed with it yet...

Also your looking at the old p6t there is a new model out now so consider that as well.

Haven't had a chance to read this entire thread, but has anyone tested the eSata port on this board? On my current mobo the eSata port doesn't find my external HDD, though it shows fine on my laptop with eSata or on my system using USB 2. Just curious if this board's eSata works any better.

It's been a bit since I posted about eSata not working and they have yet to come out with an updated BIOS that works correctly! With the 1605 BIOS they released, if I turned on my eSata drive before I booted the computer, it would detect it in Vista 64. But now my Logitech G15 usb keyboard doesn't work when I have the Dell Monitor USB attached?!

With the Beta 1606, eSata is not working again along with my USB keyboard not being detected when I have the Dell monitor USB plugged in.

If I go back to previous BIOS, my USB keyboard and Dell monitor can be connected at the same time but the eSata doesn't work...

This is ridiculous. You would think they would have had this straightened out by now. My emails I send to them never get returned so they must not know what is going on.

*Edit for spelling*

Last edited:
I posted on their forums about this issue I found if you turn the USB speed down the KB will work in bios. Others report if you use any other device to plug your KB into ie your monitor the KB will work. But you are right its sad that they killed this setup with a bios change.

I have been reading the X-Bit review a lot lately and its hard to see in certain pictures in the review which has clearance or not.

I know that the "Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme" has the clearance for 6 sticks of ram (no heat spreaders), but which coolers has the clearance for using 6 sticks of ram? (Please post your experience ;))

// X

No heat spreaders meaning not like the Corsair Dominator height size?

Last edited:
Had the same problem using 6 sticks of ram. Solved it with the new Corsair CWCH50. It's a sealed, no maintenance water cooling system. If you don't water cool, don't let this intimidate you. It was my first build and it was cake. If you do water cool, this is way under your league since it can't be expanded (VGA etc.) I don't over clock so I can't tell you about perfornance. I just wanted something better than stock (reviews all say it is) and clearance for all my ram.

Last edited:
Had the same problem using 6 sticks of ram. Solved it with the new Corsair CWCH50. It's a sealed, no maintenance water cooling system. If you don't water cool, don't let this intimidate you. It was my first build and it was cake. If you do water cool, this is way under your league since it can't be expanded (VGA etc.) I don't over clock so I can't tell you about perfornance. I just wanted something better than stock (reviews all say it is) and clearance for all my ram.

Last edited:
Just wanted to pass this old news along people with USB KB issues the new bios does fix it.

with the new 1701 bios, i can no longer boot from my LG SATA blu-ray burner. the boot order in bios is ignored, and i have to hit F8 to bring up a boot menu. From there i can select the CD which fails, or a USB stick which succeeds. i'll try plugging in a USB DVD drive and see if i can boot from that. Guess my only need to boot from CD would be to Upgrade the OS.

I just bought an external hard drive for backups and whatnot. It has a nice fast esata connector, and my motherboard happens to have a port for it. In order to use the esata port though, I had to enable the Marvell raid controller on my motherboard, which I had disabled previously. My main hard drive is on the regular intel southbridge sata controller.

When I booted into windows, the hard drive was detected and mounted and worked just fine. But, I had no sound from any application. The device manager reported that the sound card was functioning correctly. When I went back to the bios and disabled the marvell raid controller, my sound was back and working fine.

My motherboard is an ASUS P6T deluxe (original version), sound card is a PCI X-fi. Halp!

Hey guys, I just got this bored and I have a problem. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and can't seem to get it to see more than 2 GB of RAM. I'm currently using Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998679

Hey guys, I just got this bored and I have a problem. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and can't seem to get it to see more than 2 GB of RAM. I'm currently using Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998679

...are you sure that your are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7? 2GB of RAM is a limitation of 32-bit operating systems. Double-check in your BIOS and see how much RAM is being reported.

Is anyone using the eSATA port with success in Windows 7? I've been having a hell of a time with it, as have many users on the official ASUS forums.

I tried but could not get the esata to work on this thing. I gave up and just plugged it into USB.

Back