ASUS P6T Deluxe @ [H]

hmm actually i'm going to run stock; no overclocking. is the 8pin still needed or will i save power by using the 4pin?

two NICs allow you to do stuff like teaming, redundant fail-over, or connecting to two networks as you've noted.

hmm actually i'm going to run stock; no overclocking. is the 8pin still needed or will i save power by using the 4pin?

two NICs allow you to do stuff like teaming, redundant fail-over, or connecting to two networks as you've noted.

I could be wrong, but from what I have heard and read the reason for dual LAN ports is you can set it up so you can have a DOWNLOAD port and an UPLOAD port. So you would download through one line, as your uploading through the other. With just one its going back and forth on the same line.

Someone correct me if im wrong....

Jim

yes if your going to overclock.

btw this may sound like a dumb question but im coming from a pentium 4 system and wondering why the hell does mobo's these days including this have TWO netwok connectors at the back of the mobo?

so you can connect to two different networks? why? never heard of a pc connecting to two different networks.

I could be wrong, but from what I have heard and read the reason for dual LAN ports is you can set it up so you can have a DOWNLOAD port and an UPLOAD port. So you would download through one line, as your uploading through the other. With just one its going back and forth on the same line.

Jim
Edit/Delete Message

or if your switch supports trunking I guess you might be able to double your BW.. ;)

I am thinking about using this Mobo for a new i7 920 build. Is it a good choice or are there better?

I am thinking about using this Mobo for a new i7 920 build. Is it a good choice or are there better?

Need more info.

Primary use? Required features? What add in cards, hard drives, etc? What is your budget?

Jim
Edit/Delete Message

how do i set that up? is it faster doing so?

yes if your going to overclock.

btw this may sound like a dumb question but im coming from a pentium 4 system and wondering why the hell does mobo's these days including this have TWO netwok connectors at the back of the mobo?

so you can connect to two different networks? why? never heard of a pc connecting to two different networks.

it's also so you can use the machine as a router for a local network. plug your internet connection into one and your LAN to the other.

Anyone using this board have problems with the NIC? Since I have been using this my downloads are constantly timing out. If I want to download more than a 20 meg file (rough example) it will take several tries.

I am using the latest Marvell drivers and disabled IPV6 and all the stuff I can think of to try and cure it, any ideas?

An Intel PCI-E NIC is looking like a good option ATM.

VMware. I just have to fire up my test exchange, moodle and db servers for work. A little 12gb of ram doesn't stand a chance. Running them on 8gb was painful. If I'd had the cash, my home machine would have the same ram as each of the machines in my VMware cluster, 32gb. :eek:

I virtualized my entire workplace last summer. I have the VMware bug big time. Even my laptop has an install of VMware on it so I can take a server or 2 with me so I can test patches/upgrades or whatever while I am on the go.

Once I know the P6T is 100% stable (it has been so far) I am going to enable SAS and throw in a couple large SAS drives because SATA has a tough time running all of the VMs.

I hope you didn't put their Exchange server on VMWare.

Hi guys i have just installed my i7 cpu in it and was wondering what settings do i need to tweak in order to OC this baby from 2.6ghz into 3.2ghz-3.4ghz?

the only option im familier with is the BCLK.

I have another question: how do i get the mobo to detect my IDE/PATA hdd's? i know it sounds like a dumb question but i have connected the wires properly for my tw0 hdd's but none of them seems to detect it from vista it seems.

in the BIOS's main screen, it only seems to want to detect SATA devices. do i need to enable IDE/PATA somewhere in the BIOS?

thanks in advance

Hi guys i have just installed my i7 cpu in it and was wondering what settings do i need to tweak in order to OC this baby from 2.6ghz into 3.2ghz-3.4ghz?

the only option im familier with is the BCLK.

I have another question: how do i get the mobo to detect my IDE/PATA hdd's? i know it sounds like a dumb question but i have connected the wires properly for my tw0 hdd's but none of them seems to detect it from vista it seems.

in the BIOS's main screen, it only seems to want to detect SATA devices. do i need to enable IDE/PATA somewhere in the BIOS?

thanks in advance

Try a search. I don't have mine yet, but even I have seen dozens of guides all over the internet. I'm sure even this thread contains the steps if you bother to read/search it.

Anyone using this board have problems with the NIC? Since I have been using this my downloads are constantly timing out. If I want to download more than a 20 meg file (rough example) it will take several tries.

I am using the latest Marvell drivers and disabled IPV6 and all the stuff I can think of to try and cure it, any ideas?

An Intel PCI-E NIC is looking like a good option ATM.

Either way, they are a good purchase. All of my machines have them and they blow the onboard NICS out of the water. I average about 65 MB/sec (Megabytes, not bits) across my home network.

I hope you didn't put their Exchange server on VMWare.

Nope. I have over 700 exchange accounts at work, so they get their own dedicated boxes.

Try a search. I don't have mine yet, but even I have seen dozens of guides all over the internet. I'm sure even this thread contains the steps if you bother to read/search it.

i searched for the OC guide and found a couple. not very noob friendly but better then nothing. however i cannot find any info on why my IDE HDD'S are not working.

Hi. i have this board along with a 920, 260gtx card, a seasonic 600w module psu and 3gb.

my issue is that windows vista ultimate edition 64bit cannot detect any of of the two IDE/PATA seagate hdd's i have installed on it.

i have checked the bios and under the "hard drive boot sequence" it detects all of my hdd's but under vista, only teh sata HDD i have is detected succesfuly.

i tried going into disk management from vista but it still doesnt see either of those hdd's.

thanks in advance

i searched for the OC guide and found a couple. not very noob friendly but better then nothing. however i cannot find any info on why my IDE HDD'S are not working.

Hi. i have this board along with a 920, 260gtx card, a seasonic 600w module psu and 3gb.

my issue is that windows vista ultimate edition 64bit cannot detect any of of the two IDE/PATA seagate hdd's i have installed on it.

i have checked the bios and under the "hard drive boot sequence" it detects all of my hdd's but under vista, only teh sata HDD i have is detected succesfuly.

i tried going into disk management from vista but it still doesnt see either of those hdd's.

thanks in advance

You could possibly have the Marvell controller disabled in the BIOS. There are two Marvell options, one for the SAS and one for the IDE controller. Make sure the IDE one is enabled and the according boot ROM is enabled.

Depending on your memory, you can choose the XMP option (if you have an XMP profile in your memory, I know that the G.Skill sticks do) or what not to overclock. If you don't have XMP memory, just choose Manual. Basically, you just raise your BCLK, adjust your multiplier, choose whether you want turbo/HT on (leave multi on Auto if you want them on or you won't see these) and choose the coresponding memory setting and you should be good to go. You can pretty much leave everything on Auto and just adjust the BCLK and get a nice overclock.

Nope. I have over 700 exchange accounts at work, so they get their own dedicated boxes.

Good, too many ppl get into the "let's put EVERYTHING on VM!" mood and don't think things through...such as supportability.

You could possibly have the Marvell controller disabled in the BIOS. There are two Marvell options, one for the SAS and one for the IDE controller. Make sure the IDE one is enabled and the according boot ROM is enabled.

Depending on your memory, you can choose the XMP option (if you have an XMP profile in your memory, I know that the G.Skill sticks do) or what not to overclock. If you don't have XMP memory, just choose Manual. Basically, you just raise your BCLK, adjust your multiplier, choose whether you want turbo/HT on (leave multi on Auto if you want them on or you won't see these) and choose the coresponding memory setting and you should be good to go. You can pretty much leave everything on Auto and just adjust the BCLK and get a nice overclock.

thanks! one quesion in regards to memory. in a core 2, whatever the fsb was, you would double it and that would be what your ram will be running at on 1:1 ratio. is this how its like with the i7?whatever the BCLK is, you would double it and that would be the ram running at 1:1?

the memory i have is this> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/3GB-...1333)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24

what about vcore on the cpu? do i need to adjust that and not go over 1.35v? cheers

thanks! one quesion in regards to memory. in a core 2, whatever the fsb was, you would double it and that would be what your ram will be running at on 1:1 ratio. is this how its like with the i7?whatever the BCLK is, you would double it and that would be the ram running at 1:1?

the memory i have is this> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/3GB-...1333)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24

what about vcore on the cpu? do i need to adjust that and not go over 1.35v? cheers

No problem.

It's a little different with the i7. The memory speed is based on the BCLK times a memory multiplier but, the P6T doesn't display the mutli, just the speed. I've actually tried both 1333 and 1600 memory and achieved a similar overclock with both. This makes me think that since the memory controller is on the CPU, you don't have to worry about your memory speed as much while overclocking. ...especially if you're not planning on going for a max overclock.

I tried looking up your memory and I didn't find any information if it had a basic XMP profile. If you pick the XMP profile option and it doesn't display "Profile 1" or something to that effect, just pick the Manual profile. To give you an idea, I just left my "CPU Ratio" on Auto, enabled HT and Turbo, set BCLK, picked the closest DRAM frequency to my operating speed (I think it's only a BCLK x 6 or BCLK x 8 option) and left all voltage on Auto and I'm running without any problems. With a 165 BCLK, I'm still at stock voltage with Auto. Just monitor your heat, other than heat...you should just go for it. The P6T will tell you if your setting are bad.

Kind of funny that vmware runs their entire exchange 2007 infrastructure in ESX if it doesn't work...

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/solutions/08Q4_VM_Exchange_Server_2007_VI3_WP.pdf

It's not a question of working or not, it's a question of will Microsoft answer your call when it breaks. It frustrates me to death that VMWare has encouraged so many to virtualize their Exchange environment without so much as a whisper of..."oh, by the way...this isn't supported by Microsoft."

As of recently, Exchange 2007 SP1 is supported on ESX 3.5 R2. Prior to that, MS would only talk to you if you had a Premiere support agreement.

OK, back on topic. My open box P6T arrives today. Waiting on the PSU and memory as well all of which should arrive this week. However, I'm going to Austin this weekend, so I may not have time to have fun with it until Sunday evening at the earliest. :(

Yeah!!! My mobo and PSU arrived today! Unfortunately I did receive the white box with no accessories including the I/O shield. I called Asus last week and they told me they don't even sell the shield separately yet. Oh well, guess I'll be doing w/o an I/O shield for a bit. No biggie, will be upgrading the case in a few weeks anyway. Hopefully by then the shields will be available.

OCZ Platinum 1600 DDR3 should be in Friday. Guess I start building Saturday morning. :D

Question(s):

My board came with BIOS version 1003 installed. I know, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', but is there a re reason to go to 1102?

I downloaded the 1102 bios and extracted it from the zip file. Does it need to be renamed so that the Easy Flash 2 Utility recognizes it?

PC Probe II won't load. I go the latest one from Asus' website and it fails. Am i doing something wrong?

Ok, I ended picking up a CM Cosmos 1000 from Frys tonight for $99 + tax. I was concerned about how the PSU would fit so I set it inside and went ahead and installed. Then I decided to check the fit of the mobo...and installed it.

To make a long story short, I have everything installed except for memory and a HD. In my past experiences, a mobo w/ no memory or HD would power up and give a POST error. On this one, when I power on the PSU I see the power and reset buttons light up. But pushing the power button does nothing. I thought at the least I'd see fans spin up.

Is that normal? Tomorrow my memory arrives, but I'm concerned my open box P6T might be defective. If you guys know if that's how it responds when memory is not installed yet, please let me know. Thanks!!

Question(s):

My board came with BIOS version 1003 installed. I know, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', but is there a re reason to go to 1102?

I downloaded the 1102 bios and extracted it from the zip file. Does it need to be renamed so that the Easy Flash 2 Utility recognizes it?

PC Probe II won't load. I go the latest one from Asus' website and it fails. Am i doing something wrong?

i downloaded it manualy from the asus site and used the asus utility to install it

Hi everyone,

I recently finished building the system in my sig, and wanted to share a couple of problems I ran into:

1. One of the case fan headers ended up directly under the end of my GTX 280. I had to bend the cables on the fan wire 90 degrees and it JUST fits with the wires touching the bottom of the video card.

2. The SATA ports are edge mounted (pointing sideways off the front edge of the board rather than up off the board). This is because some of them end up under the end of the GTX 280. This means that if you have anything close to the front edge of your motherboard it can conflict with the sata cables. Also, if you have a long graphics card you won't be able to use right angle SATA cables on the motherboard side.

Other than these problems though, the board is excellent. I had no problems getting everything up and running. My Ultra-120 extreme fits easily, and the ability to flash a new bios from a USB stick without having to boot the machine is awesome. Despite these problems, I still highly recommend this board.

Cheers,
-Fin

<snip>
1. One of the case fan headers ended up directly under the end of my GTX 280. I had to bend the cables on the fan wire 90 degrees and it JUST fits with the wires touching the bottom of the video card.
<snip>

I've been out of the PC building thing for a while, so dumb question.....is it safe to plug in these new larger fans into the mobo headers? I mail ask since most of the case fans already come w/ the adapter for the 4 pin molex connectors.

Got my system together and actually was able to play some CoD 4 last night. That was nice. Only a few more issues to resolve (I've gotta RMA my GTX 280 due to one DVI head only outputting red (no blue/green.)

eSATA still doesn't work. So if you want large/fast external drives ... forget it.

eSATA works for me, I just have to go into the Device Manager and manually refresh for new devices.

I've been out of the PC building thing for a while, so dumb question.....is it safe to plug in these new larger fans into the mobo headers? I mail ask since most of the case fans already come w/ the adapter for the 4 pin molex connectors.

Duh... interesting question, and I have no idea what the answer is. It seems to be working for me, but perhaps I shouldn't do it that way. Can someone set us straight on this question?

-Fin

So disappointed ... got everything today (regular P6T, not the deluxe), plugged it in, installed Vista ... 30 minutes later, hard freeze. Reset the system, no post. I don't even get a long series of angry beeps. Through trial and error I figure out that the middle DIMM slots are now dead. Populating the surrounding slots works fine, but now I have no idea if I'm in some weird configuration that's forcing single channel mode.

RMA already requested :( I've found a few other instances of this happening through some quick google searching. Hopefully everyone else is having better luck!

Edit: btw, this is all at stock. Didn't even have a chance to overclock yet!

Slow network transfer rates on vista 64bit
Hi everyone, I’m having an issue transferring any files into my i7 pc. The specs of my pc are:
• Asus p6t deluxe mobo
• Intel 920 i7 cpu
• 3gb ddr3 ram
• Seasonic 600w PSU
• Windows vista ultimate edition 64bit
Whenever i transfer files from my laptop(Win XP SP3 connected wirelessly) to my vista pc its slow as hell transferring at a crawling rate of around 300kbps for a network transfer!

In my old pc which was running xp sp3, the transfer rates between my old pc and the laptop worked fine so im wondering if its a win vista problem or a setting that im missing?

My vista machine is in the same workgroup as the other xp sp3 pc’s and laptops i have. I don’t think it’s an issue with the Mobo either as i can download at max 1.8mbps on the internet lol.

Cheers in advance

I have my P6T working flawlessly but when I installed my ARC-1210 I ran into some issues and couldn't figure out whats wrong.

Setup:
4x HUA721010KLA330 Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB
Areca ARC-1210 8xPCIexpress

I updated the 1210 to the newest firmware and bios from Areca's site and still only Channels 2 & 4 show up, not all 4.

~OS is on separate drive on onboard SATA
~Moved drives from channel to channel and they all work, but only in channel 2 & 4
~Changed SATA cables and power cable to verify no issues there, and same issue.
~Tried card in Slot 2 and Slot 3, with same results
~Changed BIOS setting to 8x, 8x and 16x, 1x with same results
~Using a 75gb Raptor to test if card is working, shows up all 4 channels with no issues.

Cant get all 4 drives to show up. Anyone ran into this? or possible problems?

Has anybody been able to get this thing to boot from USB? I have selected the boot device as "External Device" but it just tells me to connect a bootable device. I know the device boots on other machines because I used it to load Win 7 on them.

Do you think it's confusing WHICH external device? I don't have any other drives connected, but I do have a card reader, hub in my monitor, and a bluetooth dongle.

Legacy USB is turned on.

OH....and when I DO have my external USB hard drive connected....it won't boot unless I turn off Legacy Support....but then it won't recognize the drive?!?!

If I can just get past these 2 issues, then I fell like I'm set. Well...until I OC that is. ;)

Hey guys!

I have been running a P6T system for awhile now and no problems - Until now. I switched from 2 8800GTS 512 cards to a single 4870X2 (tri-fan model - asus branded) and it installed and works great.

I was thinking crossfire would be cool to see - so I bought another tri-fan 4870X2 and dropped it in and hooked up the cross-fire connector. The MB posted and went to the Intel IH10 screen - Freeze. The drives would not enumerate and it just locks up.

I replaced the following components:

PS first - bought the enermax 1050 (based on OCPs recc!)
MB - must be bad - same behavior
flashed BISO to make sure its current

Nothing worked - the Memory that I am using - Corsair tri-channel kit - the TR3X6G1333C9 sticks - which UNTIL NOW have been flawless.

If I pull the second card out (4870X2) everything works fine. I switched cards in slot 1 to make sure that is not the problem - both work fine in single card mode

On a whim - I pulled the 3rd memory stick out - and the drives enumerated and everything works correct - Vista discovers the crossfire system and my system is fine.

put the stick back in - no drives and post lockup on the IH10 Drive enumeration.

WTH? any ideas here guys? anyone else having hardware-level crossfire issues / memory? I want to get this working as 2 sticks = dual channel want 3 for tri-channel and more mem.

Thanks in advance guys - let me know if anyone has any ideas!

Ax.

Has anybody been able to get this thing to boot from USB? I have selected the boot device as "External Device" but it just tells me to connect a bootable device. I know the device boots on other machines because I used it to load Win 7 on them.

Do you think it's confusing WHICH external device? I don't have any other drives connected, but I do have a card reader, hub in my monitor, and a bluetooth dongle.

Legacy USB is turned on.

OH....and when I DO have my external USB hard drive connected....it won't boot unless I turn off Legacy Support....but then it won't recognize the drive?!?!

If I can just get past these 2 issues, then I fell like I'm set. Well...until I OC that is. ;)

Meant to come back here and update this. I discovered that hitting F8 during the BIOS screen brought up the boot device menu and allowed me to select the specific USB device I needed.

Still have the same question about not booting with the external USB drive connected.

I just upgraded my box and the lights come on and fan spins up with power, but it won't even POST. No beeps either. I rechecked all my connections and still nothing. I didn't mess with the memory, but there's a bunch of posts on Newegg saying the RAM worked fine for identical builds. Another Asus DOA motherboard?

I have a Corsair TX750 power supply. I tried running with 1 gtx280 and it didn't make any difference.

Ok everything is working nicely with my new 920 b-batch. Using stock fan. Mild overclock to 166 BCLK. I use the P6T Deluxe.

I was wondering about speedstepping. Im using that since I want to save some power. But when it gears down to 2GHz I cant see it lowering the voltage. Voltage is set to auto in the bios. Isnt it supposed to lower the voltage when it goes down to 2GHz?

Here is my new system running prime95:
nypc.jpg

I just upgraded my box and the lights come on and fan spins up with power, but it won't even POST. No beeps either. I rechecked all my connections and still nothing. I didn't mess with the memory, but there's a bunch of posts on Newegg saying the RAM worked fine for identical builds. Another Asus DOA motherboard?

I have a Corsair TX750 power supply. I tried running with 1 gtx280 and it didn't make any difference.

See if it will run on just one stick of that ram.

Are there any error lights on near any of the components?

Just put together a P6T-deluxe system, have to say it was extremely easy to work with. Its rare for me, for everything to work the first time.

I'm playing with windows 7 on it, if you do make sure you run the intel drivers with -OVERALL at command line to get the smbus and USB controllers to work, otherwise they are unknown devices on win7.

Back