ASUS P5N-E SLI

0307 BIOS was released last nite, haven't had a chance to give it a try yet. supposedly better memory compatability. heres hoping for 1T on my ballistix pc2 6400...

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

The asus forum for this board reports that bios 0307 is still crummy, I would not recommend using, I'm going with 0401.

Update: I just loaded 0401 without a hitch. When I set the SLI memory setting to expert, it actually uses the SPD and boots at 1000ddr with 5-5-5-15-2t trc 30 timings! Finally, a bios that works! I'll still have to see if running mem that fast is stable on this board, but it's a start. I can't believe asus posted that shi@#! bios 0307 on the site for this board. Are they retarded?

The asus forum for this board reports that bios 0307 is still crummy, I would not recommend using, I'm going with 0401.

Update: I just loaded 0401 without a hitch. When I set the SLI memory setting to expert, it actually uses the SPD and boots at 1000ddr with 5-5-5-15-2t trc 30 timings! Finally, a bios that works! I'll still have to see if running mem that fast is stable on this board, but it's a start. I can't believe asus posted that shi@#! bios 0307 on the site for this board. Are they retarded?

its kind of surprising that the 0307 is junk. Shamino @ vr-zone had pretty good results w/ it in his review. guess i'll give the 0401 a go. i just want the adv mem timings to relax a little, and to be able to run 1T

its kind of surprising that the 0307 is junk. Shamino @ vr-zone had pretty good results w/ it in his review. guess i'll give the 0401 a go. i just want the adv mem timings to relax a little, and to be able to run 1T

That may be, I read a guy had rma'd his board and got it back with 0307, and it was working fine. That is probably the case with vrzone, the configuration of certain machines might have caused problems with the enabling of certain features. I was considering loading that bios, shutting down, pulling all the cards including Video, rebooting and listen to it complain, and then install everything again - to see if it initialized anything differently. Anyway, I loaded 0307 and it was a disappointing pain getting it back to 0202. 0401 works great, and I can run at 3.33Ghz at 1333fsb and the mem at 1000 with no problems yet. BTW (i'll be uploading screenies), 1333fsb and 1000 mem yields just over 7000mb/s on sandra's bandwidth benchmark, up from 6450 @ 800ddr with the same settings. I paid for it so I'll take it:)

Update: wound up running at 1333FSB and 800mem, locks up under load running at 1000mem.

This is my hot gamer motherboard. I tried 500Mhz fsb on a e6300 and it failed to boot last night. Tonight I am going to go back reset the bios and download the new 401. Is there any quick way of reseting or will I just have to undo the battery. I forgot if there is a reset jumper. That north bridge gets super HOT.

Any of you guys running a 7600 GS? I'm trying to find out if my incompatibility is limited to 3DFuzion/BFG or more widespread.

Any issues using the ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminum Heatsink with SB and NB?
I have one mounted on my SB. Not too much trouble to mount (I did it during my initial setup, with the board out of the case). Forget SLI if you put it on the SB; I'm using a 7300GT (selected for silence) and if I tried to mount another in the 2d slot the ZM-NB47J would block it. Still have the stock sink on the NB. It's much more massive than the Zalman and probably does a better job cooling it. If I were to change the NB sink, it would have to be for something actively cooled, or something like the Thermalright HR-05.

Just been reading over some of the comments on this board, was planning on getting it.

Anyone tell me if I would be able to fit the Tuniq Tower 120 and the Thermalright HR-05 Northbridge Heatsink without much problems. The 120 seems to have plenty clearence so cant see it being an issue... but not sure if the HR-05 would fit ok along side it. Anyone got any ideas?

Just been reading over some of the comments on this board, was planning on getting it.

Anyone tell me if I would be able to fit the Tuniq Tower 120 and the Thermalright HR-05 Northbridge Heatsink without much problems. The 120 seems to have plenty clearence so cant see it being an issue... but not sure if the HR-05 would fit ok along side it. Anyone got any ideas?

If you are concerned about room for the HR-05, get the HR-05 SLI. It sits offset and there is no problem with any CPU cooler that I can see.

See here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/slessard/DSCN0281.jpg

Has anyone got an 7950GX2 working in this mobo? I emailed asus tech support and they said a bios update should fix the problem.... anyone have a beta bios to fix my problem :(

How is the 0401 bios? Should I flash my bios (i have the first one)? Is it stable and such? Can someone give me some info.

I put the bios file onto a flash drive and then used the built in flash utility under the tools menu in the bios to flash to 0401. It is more stable tha 0202 was for me. I couldn't run the ram at 1T at all before. Now I can get it to at least boot into windows. Still not 100% stable though.

I have the same Ram as you. Let me know if it ever works out. I'm not really so anxious to upgrade unless I can get 1T stable. Everything on 0202 Runs fine for me, so I don't see a real reason to upgrade unless my OC will go or something.

I have the same Ram as you. Let me know if it ever works out. I'm not really so anxious to upgrade unless I can get 1T stable. Everything on 0202 Runs fine for me, so I don't see a real reason to upgrade unless my OC will go or something.

It supposedly gets rid of some of the fsb holes where you wouldn't be able to get a stable OC regardless of voltage. And it adds SLI memory support. Haven't played with that yet, still trying to get a max cpu OC first. Not having a cpu fan makes the NB REALLY toasty, I need to modify my cooling.

Ahh... lol.... a lot of my OCs seemed that way with this board. Maybe I can lower the voltage for once with the new bios.

What commands did you use to Flash ? Just so I can do it identical. I've seen so many threads on different commands for flashing in DoS.
like blahblah /r /f you know what I mean lol.

ive been trying to flash to 0401 using an usb and EZ flash, but i cant get it to update in the EZ flash menu, it picks up the file but says 'the file size does not match existing BIOS side'
do i have to save the file with a certain name/format?
someone point me in the right direction pls havnt done this before :confused:

ive been trying to flash to 0401 using an usb and EZ flash, but i cant get it to update in the EZ flash menu, it picks up the file but says 'the file size does not match existing BIOS side'
do i have to save the file with a certain name/format?
someone point me in the right direction pls havnt done this before :confused:

I had trouble using the command line and the EZ Flash. Both locked up on my system when reading the bios file. I resorted to using the windows flasher and had no problem with that. I am also have acess to an eeprom burner at work so I wasn't too worried.

So far 0401 seems to be more stable.

Yeah it worked fine but I have heard from multiple people that this doesn't always work.

Did you download it first then flash or get the new bios online using the program?

I've been flashing my P5W using the Asus update, but I download the file then flash it from disk.

Did you download it first then flash or get the new bios online using the program?

I've been flashing my P5W using the Asus update, but I download the file then flash it from disk.

I download from the website then flashed it in windows.

Download the file.
Unzip it.
Rename it P5NESLI.
Format a floppy.
Copy to floppy.
Restart
<alt> + <F2> to enter EZflash utility.

Thats how I did mine to 0401 although I did have to clear the CMOS afterwards.

I put the bios file onto a flash drive and then used the built in flash utility under the tools menu in the bios to flash to 0401. It is more stable tha 0202 was for me. I couldn't run the ram at 1T at all before. Now I can get it to at least boot into windows. Still not 100&#37; stable though.

Reticulex and Imitation, have you been able to overclock at all? I have the same RAM and mobo, but I have serious problems. I was stable at default settings with 0202, but I couldn't run at the rated speeds or timings--the best I could do was 300MHz on my Ballistix (600 DDR)!!! And I tried everything--relaxing timings, upping voltages, linked, unlinked, different slots, the works. The RAM passed memtest and Microsoft's memory tester without a hitch at those speeds, however.

When I flashed to 0401, my system became totally unstable, even at stock settings! It just chokes. It will post and boot Windows, but when I try to open any program, it conks out.

ASUS and Crucial tech support have not been helpful so far, but the Crucial guy did say that they have two versions of the Ballistix I have, and that maybe the other version works. The part number is BL2KIT12864AA804, and the numbers after that on the RAM itself tell you which batch yours is from. Would you two mind checking and telling me which batch you have? Mine are 16FB3. If you have the same version, I'm going to RMA these bad boys.

e4300
p5n-e sli
patriot cl5 signature ram

401 bios
3ghz overclock just fine with low end ram and low end processor, i'm happy as a clam here, plus was finally able to break 10000 in 3dmark06 :p

Reticulex and Imitation, have you been able to overclock at all? I have the same RAM and mobo, but I have serious problems. I was stable at default settings with 0202, but I couldn't run at the rated speeds or timings--the best I could do was 300MHz on my Ballistix (600 DDR)!!! And I tried everything--relaxing timings, upping voltages, linked, unlinked, different slots, the works. The RAM passed memtest and Microsoft's memory tester without a hitch at those speeds, however.

When I flashed to 0401, my system became totally unstable, even at stock settings! It just chokes. It will post and boot Windows, but when I try to open any program, it conks out.

ASUS and Crucial tech support have not been helpful so far, but the Crucial guy did say that they have two versions of the Ballistix I have, and that maybe the other version works. The part number is BL2KIT12864AA804, and the numbers after that on the RAM itself tell you which batch yours is from. Would you two mind checking and telling me which batch you have? Mine are 16FB3. If you have the same version, I'm going to RMA these bad boys.

Shapkahead, I posted over at anandtech about this for you also but I'll say here that I had stability issues with 0401 until i reset the cmos by taking the battery out and flipping the jumper. Once that was done I've been able to his 3.5ghz with my 6600. I haven't overclocked the ram yet though, hopefully this afternoon.

I could only fit the Tuniq Tower on this board by removing the PSU--the CPU socket is too close to the edge of the board. . .

I had no problem with that, enough space for me. I had to switch to a different case though. The one I was using had a complex mechanism for taking the sides off. You had to take the top of the case off then the two sides. There was a depression by where the side's handles were and that was getting in the way. Switched to a regular case and had enough room.

My problem was that there were these two capactors, or transistors, or whatever those cylidrical towers are on the board. They were blocking the H bar that you use to fix that tower onto the board. Lucally I have a metal grinder so I grinded into the H thing so that they dont get into the way.

like i posted - thats an incredilbe score. we have same vid card oc, i am running 600mhz faster with a 4mb l2 cpu, my fsb is higher than yours (400mhz), i would figure my ram speed is higher than yours (1200mhz), and according to the orb my score is above average meaning that it is as high or higher than other guys using 680i, 975, 965 boards with same vid card and pretty much same config. nice one. i guess i will have to dump my 680i/6600 for a 650i/4300. or something.

Back