ASUS P5N-E SLI

I recently installed two Thermalright HR 05's, one on the northbridge and another for the southbridge. The temps are down 25-30% from the stock cooling. The board seems very stable now.

How hard is it to install NB/SB fans or whatever on this motherboard? I'm looking at one in the forum.

How hard is it to install NB/SB fans or whatever on this motherboard? I'm looking at one in the forum.

hr05 was a breeze to put on, i don't have anything on the SB, but one would fit, methinks. (not w/ SLI tho -- i run 1x8800gtx)

See earlier in the thread when I posted a pic of the Thermalright... very easy install for NB and/or SB.

Hi, I just got this board and I'm wondering: How do I check which chipset driver version I'm running? nVidia has posted 15.00 as the latest, but I'm not sure which one I have right now?

~Ibrahim~

hey guys, don't really have much time to read through all of these posts but i was wondering... how hot does the southbridge gets without a heatsink? i'm going to buy this board for a friend (e6600, 2gb Corsair, 7900gs) and i want to know if he would need a heatsink for it. also, how about the northbridge heatsink? does it work well or does it need replacement?

hey guys, don't really have much time to read through all of these posts but i was wondering... how hot does the southbridge gets without a heatsink? i'm going to buy this board for a friend (e6600, 2gb Corsair, 7900gs) and i want to know if he would need a heatsink for it. also, how about the northbridge heatsink? does it work well or does it need replacement?

The MSI equivalent is $20 cheaper, has a better stock bios, and comes with a southbridge heatsink pre-installed. Just a thought.

Hi all. I'm having some serious problems with this board and my G.Skill RAM. I have 4x1GB sticks.

With 2 sticks in, I can get 5-5-5-15 1T @ 800 fine.

With a little bit of voltage (1 step up) I can do 3 sticks at 5-5-5-15 2T @ 800 fine.

No matter what I do, I can't get the board with 4 sticks. Any time it hits a GUI type thing, the computer freezes or reboots. It's not bad RAM. I've RMAed that RAM and I have tried the new sticks in every combination possible with 3 sticks and they all work fine. The second I put a 4th stick in, I get non-stop memory errors on MemTest86.

I tried to update my BIOS from 0401 to 0505, but every time I do, I get an error that basically says "You can't downgrade your BIOS version." I've tried 3 different floppies that work fine on other computers and I've downloaded the BIOS at least twice from ASUS. The funny thing is, on the part where you update the BIOS (in EZ Flash or w/e) it says my current BIOS is 0401 and it gives the date as 01-xx-07 (Don't know the exact date). On the part where it says the selected BIOS, it says 0505 and 03xx-07.

Any help on either problem please? Thanks! :)

PS. I can only post from work ATM. I somehow seem to have forgotten my password and am only logged at work. My registered e-mail address is also incorrect because Comcast bought my old ISP.

Tons of people are complaining about 4 sticks of ram not working. So far there doesn't seem to be a fix. You might just have to use two sticks for now and wait for an update that specifically says it allows 4 sticks of ram.

Does that apply to only this motherboard or all 650i's? I read through this thread and didn't see any mention of it, but I'll keep looking around.

Anyone else upgraded to bios 0505? I just did and seems to be good and I used a flash drive to boot off, it was really simple. I flashed the CMOS before I entered the new bios because I had heard problems people had when they did not do that. Everything seems good. Anyone know the benefits of this new bios.

Oh and a couple of posts up I asked about a NB cooler. I got it last week and its great. Keeps the NB cooler and I can achieve a better OC too :)

I have four sticks of ram working perfectly in this board. They're four sticks of 1gb Corsair XMS2 6400C4, running at 5-4-4-12 and 1000mhz 2T. The trick to getting them to overclock was to change the sub timing values off auto.
tRD = 5
tRC = 30
tWR = 5
tWTR = 7
the others are left on auto

If I go any lower on these sum timing values the system gets unstable.
Oh yeah, and my voltages: ram = 2.08v and chipset = 1.3x

I hope this helps!

The trick I found to get four sticks of ram working in this board is to set your ram speed to 667 or lower and set your first 4 timings manually. Mine is set to 5-5-5-15 @ 667mhz and the rest is auto.

The trick I found to get four sticks of ram working in this board is to set your ram speed to 667 or lower and set your first 4 timings manually. Mine is set to 5-5-5-15 @ 667mhz and the rest is auto.

After working on mine forever, the trick seems to be to set it to anything but 800mhz. I got mine working fine anything above 820mhz. It's around 900mhz right now. The second I put it back to 800mhz, it crashes non stop.

I have tried out both the hr-05 and hr-05 sli and for this board the regular hr-05 fits perfectly on both the northbridge and southbridge (at least with stock cpu cooler or watercooling from my expirience).
The HR-05 SLI was not giving me the type of performance that the HR-05 was so I decided to try lapping the stock NB cooler and having a fan over it to see how that would work. To my surprise it worked better than the HR-05 SLI.
My system specs are:
core 2 duo e6600 2.4GHZ overclocked to 3GHZ with stock cooler
2gb ddr2 800 with ramsinks
8800GTX
hr-05 on SB
lapped stock cooler on NB

I have tried the VC-RE on the NB and I was getting 51-52*C under load and about 45*C idle. With the HR-05 SLI I was getting about the same results. With the lapped stock heatsink I am getting 41-43*C idle and 48* under load. I am very impressed with the effect lapping made especially since all I did was use some 100grit sandpaper on the kitchen table with Brasso as the lubricant. The finish wasn't blindingly reflective but it was a ton better than it was from factory. I was really disappointed with the HR-05 SLI because it had a better finish than even the HR-05 and the lapped stock heatsink yet it performed worse.

In short... If you have time but no money lap the stock heatsink and find a way to get some airflow over it. If you got money I would highly recommend to pickup 2 HR-05 coolers (and if you are really into getting the most out of them you could lap them also). I also found that with the HR-05 on the SB there was still room to use it with an SLI setup (and I am using 8800 GTX so I know how much room is needed!).
sorry that I don't have any pics the camera was charging while I was lapping and installing those things.

On a side note... If anyone is interested I am selling the HR-05 SLI and the VC-RE cooler I have. Basically they are used but only from testing. Also the HR-05 SLI had one of the retainer clips break when I removed it so it will need one of those spring loaded push clips (wish I knew were to buy those things!)

After working on mine forever, the trick seems to be to set it to anything but 800mhz. I got mine working fine anything above 820mhz. It's around 900mhz right now. The second I put it back to 800mhz, it crashes non stop.

This is some good news.. I'll have to try this trick on my system. Do you have more then 2GB ram on your system?

The southbridge does seem to warrant a heatsink as i've clocked it as high as 70C with my infrared thermo and the circuits around it run about 75C. Also thee is a new 0604 beta bios. Anyone know what they change?

I just flash updated to that bios and almost crapped my pants. Flash went well and then after reboot I got no video. I thought it had killed my bios! So before panicking anymore I unplugged the power supply from the wall and from the motherboard, removed the CMOS battery, set the CMOS clear jumper, and let it sit for 10 minuted. I wanted to make absolutely for sure that I had reset defaults. I hooked everything back up and was relieved to see everything working. I don't know what the changes are in that BIOS so I can't recommend anyone using it especially with the results I got. It is nice to see that Asus is continuing to improve our board though.

P5N-E SLI only running video card at x1 not x16. Help! :(
Mobo: P5N-E SLI (bios: 0604)
VC: Asus 8800GTS (320mb) (in primary blue pci-e slot, ez selector set to single video card)
RAM: 2 x 1gig Crucial Ballistix PC8000 DDR2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz

Video / Chipset Drivers: latest forceware and chipset drivers from nvidia. 158.18's / 15.00

CPU-Z and the System Info dialogue on the Nvidia Control Panel are both reporting that my card is only running at x1 and not x16.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, a variety of bios suggestions including manually upping the NB voltage and PCI-E mhz.

Right now everything in the bios is set to standard settings. I'm not trying to do any over clocking. I discovered my card was only running at x1 because I was getting horrible scores in 3dmark in both xp and vista.

Game performance on the other hand seems okay but if the card is only running at x1 I'm assuming it could be better.

Could really use some help here.

P5N-E SLI only running video card at x1 not x16. Help! :(

Right now everything in the bios is set to standard settings. I'm not trying to do any over clocking. I discovered my card was only running at x1 because I was getting horrible scores in 3dmark in both xp and vista.

Hmmm... any chance your 6-pin power cable is not supplying enough voltage to the card? On the 7x00 series cards this would result in a screaming alarm from the card or no video on boot, but maybe there is a "fallback" mode for the 8800?

Other than that I would say it's a video card failure, but the only way to verify would be to put it in another system to test.

How would I check to see if the card is getting enough voltage?

This doesn't seem like more of a mobo issue?

Has anyone got 2Gb sticks working on this board? I would be interested in knowing which 2GB sticks are known to work in all slots for 8GB total.

well if 8gb is supported i dont see why it wouldnt work. prob not oc as high tho.

Anyone try the new C2D 1333mhz on this mobo yet?
I'm thinking of upgrading but want to see if anyone got a new bios or have gotten the new chip to work no this mobo.

only con im having is i cant run my memory in 4-4-4 at 800mhz it technicly should do it. 2 sticks of supertalent ddr667 and 2 sticks of patriot extreme ddr800 at 2.17 volts. must be a 4 gig limitation doing something to not make it work.

Anyone try the new C2D 1333mhz on this mobo yet?
I'm thinking of upgrading but want to see if anyone got a new bios or have gotten the new chip to work no this mobo.

I don't see how it would be a problem, I run my 6400 on a 1600MHz bus with no issues. You can unlink the RAM speed from the FSB and run whatever memory you want as well.

I don't see how it would be a problem, I run my 6400 on a 1600MHz bus with no issues. You can unlink the RAM speed from the FSB and run whatever memory you want as well.

Yea I run my e6600 at 1600 also but was just wondering if there were anything funny and if someone has tried it yet. Espcially with the new 0608 bios I believe that's the number.

what voltage is everyone running their nb? im at 1.39 for 400 fsb

was runing same as you tvdang but i kept getting intermittant sound problems with my audigy 2 bumped the volts up to 1.59 and problems stopped

I bought DDR2 1000, Crucial Ballistix 2GB. I have started playing around with the overclocking. I am up to 3Ghz on stock heatsink. I am using CPU-Z software to look at everything. When I look at memory, it say DDR2 800. I know I have to oc to get to 1000 b/c the mobo's max is 800. My problem is I don't understand how to oc the RAM. I see the numbers people post, like 5,5,5 15, 2T. Could someone explain it to me and maybe give me some advise on what to oc my RAM too. I am running a E6420 too, if you need to know that. My RAM has built-in heatsink. Any help or advice would be great, thanks

Mine stopped allowing me to update BIOS from a flash drive. It detects it but after it reads the file it says its not compatible. Weird that in the top right window it recognizes the file as being for the right board. :(

Mine stopped allowing me to update BIOS from a flash drive. It detects it but after it reads the file it says its not compatible. Weird that in the top right window it recognizes the file as being for the right board. :(

I'm in the same boat as you. Can't seem to find a fix or the problem.

hey guys

i have the asus p5n-e sli mobo, with the intel duo 6420 chip, with the evga nvidia 8800 gts 640 vid card and g skill ddr2 800 mhz 2 gigs dual channel ram timming 4-4-3-5

i was having problems with my computer just freezing all last week.....picture pressing the pause button and that woudl be the freeze on my screen, if i was playing lineage2, chattign on aol or msn, talking in vent whatever....

so me and my buds changed the timings of the ram around, relaxed its to 5-5-4-6, 4-4-4-12, 4-4-4-15 and changed the voltage of the ram... still it woudl freeze.....2 mins after boot up, or after a couple hours, and even freezing overnight with the system idle and screensaver disabled and with moniter off....

anyways long story short.... i think i found the solution, a friend of mine suggested flashing my bios.... i updated my bios when i got this computer setup about 2 months ago with the 0602 version, well guess what, like about 2 weeks or so ago, asus came out with 0703 bios, and geuss what it said.....1. Enhance compatibility of certain memroy module.
2. Support new CPUs...so i was all happy...and praying bios would help the pc not freeze crash...and well it worked....i have my ram timing at 4-4-3-5 and the pc hasnt crashed in 3 days and each night before i go to bed i run orthos to stress test the pc to see any error that might occur and its found none...

so i am happy

so if anyone is experiencing the "pause" freezing problems....especially with the p5n-e sli mobo visit this link

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

~Cry

Back