ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

hey, I was just kidding - no prob man :D
as far as same serial, I think that violates some law(s) - you could get them into trouble with that crap

You know I would never have figured this out in a million years!!!
That two HDD from a reputable vendor like Corsair would have the EXACT same serial number is simply mind boggling. They had to go to some effort to reprogram the chip info, wouldnt it have been easier to just leave it alone? Or do they normally replicate serials? Sheesh.

Last edited:
I'd really appreciate if someone explain me how is it possible that changing only one Turbo Ratio setting from By All Cores to By Per Core and leaving the same number(s) (45 in my case) makes my ssd drive not working in linux?
Does this setting has any link to C3/C6 Report and C1E as Enabling them causes the same exact effect?

@ ciscoguy

If it werent for the OS installing its system volume on a seperate drive, something i failed to note for some time, i probly would have gotten around to creating GPT from bios. However i have surcombed to buying another 2TB and took the easy way out.. Any idea why W7 installs its volume on a different disc? I had to remove all discs before installation, other wise im unable to install gpt to 3TB disc bc its unable to delete the system volume in disc manager, or, im unable to use ssd as the cache bc it would delete system volume, leaving me in bios....

nice way to spend a weekend, sweet..

Thanks a lot for your help mate

I have no idea what you mean by putting system vol on separate drive

so, generally speaking;
When you create a GPT disk during windows 7 X64 install on a new HDD and you use custom install and make your first primary, and set its size, Windows will then ALSO create a 100MB efi sys partition hidden FAT32, and an MSR (Microsoft Reserved - Protected) 128MB FAT32 hidden
So your first primary will be you third actual partition
If you install Win 7 in MSDOS MBR mode and have no partitions made as yet, Windows install will ONLY have created the 100MB Win reserved no letter partition (NOT MSR)
You cant convert a MBR drive to GPT or vice versa until the HDD has been wiped with the clean command in diskpart, or killdisk, or diskmanager
Win 7 X64 or X86 in MSDOS MBR has a bootmgr file in root of "C"
Win 7 X64 in GPT will have a bootmgr.efi file in Windows/boot/EFI folder
2iwajk7.jpg

GPT drives and MBR drives are TOTALLY SEPARATE sides of the street. In Pre UEFI mobo you just set the HDD boot order in bios
In UEFI bios you can still set the MBR HDD boot order in bios, or set ea BOOTABLE individual GPT drive as first boot device

Anyways, you have achieved what you wanted, so alls well that ends well. Right?

Last edited:
Lets say i had 2 hdd's and want to install windows 7, one an ssd, and one a 2 Tb..

When i choose to install on the 2Tb, it installs no probs, but when i look in the disc manager after install, to my amazement, the system volume (100Mg) is on the ssd... like... WTF yo !!

When i make the ssd a cache drive, sayonara to my system volume.. The only way to remedy this (simply) was to remove all drives bar the 2Tb..

This particular issue caught me out a few days

All has been achieved, i installed W7, connected ssd & accelerated it no worries. Connected my 3Tb and awoke the sleeping giant in disc manager (gpt). Couldnt have been any easier eh???

Hello, when will the "CPU fan error" message on the post screen be fixed?
I have not connect anything on the cpu fan header due to liquid cooling.

Hello, when will the "CPU fan error" message on the post screen be fixed?
I have not connect anything on the cpu fan header due to liquid cooling.

Not sure of a fix, but you can always just set the CPU Fan Speed Monitor to Ignore.

It seems that when you set C3 and C6 to auto:
Setting Turbo Ratio to By All Cores effectively turning C3 and C6 off
Setting Turbo Ratio to By Per Core effectively turning C3 and C6 on
Could somebody confirm or deny that?
My board P8Z68-V Pro with 0501 uefi.

And yes I am a little stubborn but let me question once again: why setting C6 to enable making my ssd drive hanging in linux? i do not get what is the connection between these two phenomena :confused:

It seems that when you set C3 and C6 to auto:
Setting Turbo Ratio to By All Cores effectively turning C3 and C6 off
Setting Turbo Ratio to By Per Core effectively turning C3 and C6 on
Could somebody confirm or deny that?
My board P8Z68-V Pro with 0501 uefi.

And yes I am a little stubborn but let me question once again: why setting C6 to enable making my ssd drive hanging in linux? i do not get what is the connection between these two phenomena :confused:

Yeap confirmed, same happens here. Combine that with C1E being disabled all the time (as far as I can see) and C7 not being used which you can check yourself (I think I read it had been removed by one of the later BIOS updates).. the implementation of C states seems to have been quite liberal.

Something odd I'm finding is that I'm getting a lot of BSOD when I enable C3/C6. I don't have them running and my OC has been stable but since I've been playing around trying to confirm this, I've ran into a lot of problems everytime C3/C6 is enabled. The problem is not the Multi/Vcore changing, this is why I have C1E enabled via SW but something about the 'state' change causes BSOD.

This worked for me too, it sure was PITA to get here. Hope it's worth it!

It worked!!

I had to run it twice:
Right clicked and ran as admin, patched, rebooted, failed.
Right clicked -> properties -> compatability -> checked run as admin, patched, rebooted, worked.

Running version 10128 now :) Thanks! I was scared to try the P8P67 patch on my P8Z68 motherboard, but all appears to be well.

Yeap confirmed, same happens here. Combine that with C1E being disabled all the time (as far as I can see) and C7 not being used which you can check yourself (I think I read it had been removed by one of the later BIOS updates).. the implementation of C states seems to have been quite liberal.

Something odd I'm finding is that I'm getting a lot of BSOD when I enable C3/C6. I don't have them running and my OC has been stable but since I've been playing around trying to confirm this, I've ran into a lot of problems everytime C3/C6 is enabled. The problem is not the Multi/Vcore changing, this is why I have C1E enabled via SW but something about the 'state' change causes BSOD.

Thanks for confirmation. If I were you I would play a little with Digi+ VRM Options if the transient states cause bsods.

I do not really understand why Asus implemented Auto settings for some of the UEFI controls without any indicators what is actually the current setting of these controls. Just like in case of the voltages readings. I'm wasting my time trying to figure out what and where has changed when I flipped some switch. Eventually I will learn all these correlations but honestly why I have to do it?

I'm observing a strange thing and i wonder if you guys experienced something similar. I have the system which is Linx AVX stable. But as soon as I run Prime Blend with 4 threads (i5-2500K) one of the worker (always the same) is quickly stopping with "rounding error". The thing is: when I run 4 instances of the same Prime95, set affinity to appropriate cores I can run Blend test (each one with one thread) for days without error. WTF?

Is there any link between Prime's workers and physical/logical cores? If I'm getting error always on worker4 does it mean that the same fourth core is still failing?

Could someone tell me how By Per Core Ratio setting suppose to work?
I'm setting the following ratios for subsequent cores: 47 - 47 - 47 - 38, which means that core4 has max turbo ratio of 38. But when I load that fourth core with the Prime95 instance and set affinity accordingly (to 4th core) the Ratio is changing to 47 (fluctuates between 38-47 to be more precise). Why?
C3-C6 enabled in UEFI. I'm using fixed (manual) voltage.
How should this setting work?

Could someone tell me how By Per Core Ratio setting suppose to work?
I'm setting the following ratios for subsequent cores: 47 - 47 - 47 - 38, which means that core4 has max turbo ratio of 38. But when I load that fourth core with the Prime95 instance and set affinity accordingly (to 4th core) the Ratio is changing to 47 (fluctuates between 38-47 to be more precise). Why?
C3-C6 enabled in UEFI. I'm using fixed (manual) voltage.
How should this setting work?

The setting is the multiplier to use with the total number of loaded cores, not the multiplier for a specific core. I'm guessing the way you have it set is to use x47 for 1-3 loaded cores, and x38 if all 4 cores are being used.

The setting is the multiplier to use with the total number of loaded cores, not the multiplier for a specific core. I'm guessing the way you have it set is to use x47 for 1-3 loaded cores, and x38 if all 4 cores are being used.
But when I load all four cores ratio is still fluctuating between 38-47
It behaves identical if I load cores 1-2-3.Adding load to fourth core (the one with reduced turbo ratio) changes nothing :confused:
Did you verify if on your P8P67 this setting works as you say?

It looks like you set a non-Turbo Value
Without any load the clock is reduced to 1600 so I think this is ok

Run something like prime95 and check the multipliers with something like Throttlestop. Then disable the test on 1 core at a time (Test->Stop) in prime95 and see what happens.

Last edited:
Run something like prime95 and check the multipliers with something like Throttlestop. Then disable the test on 1 core at a time (Test->Stop) in prime95 and see what happens.

Thanks. As far as I can see Throttlestop can display ratio for each core independently. Useful feature. I will experiment.
This whole thing is because I've noticed recently that one of my i5's cores is lesser quality then the others (at least one multiplier down, most probably 2). Maybe I'll be able to squeeze a little extra juice from my not so great i5 unit.

Edit: Apparently you're right. You can assign the ratio but not to a particular core but a particular number of loaded cores. Dead end for me. It seams I cannot limit the turbo ratio for exactly one pointed core. Even if I set: 47 - 38 - 38 - 38 the system still can assign some single threaded app to core4 (with 1/4 probability) and if the rest of cores are idle core4 will get 47 and bam!
Dead end as I said.

Do you know if "Additional Turbo voltage" works in manual (non-offset) mode?
I'm trying to set it to some perceptible value but voltage reported by cpuid or AISuite doesn't change.

Last edited:
I'd like to as if anyone has the following symptom:
Even if only on occasion, when powering up your pc for the 1st time, each day, does it shutdown after about 10 seconds then turn back on again? There is no error message or anything and everthing seems normal once it boots properly

You've probably got BCLK changing and/or more likely, AI Suite installed. Some component of it causes this behavior (only with cold boot not reboots etc).

yup the suite is installed, not sure what BCLK is tho.. You are right tho, only on cold starts or after shutdowns.. Reboots are ok

I am running an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro motherboard and overclocking my CPU to 4.5 GHz w/ 1.38 V auto voltage.

I get from time to time an error in Windows 7 saying that you have just unplugged your headphones. Although, I didn't do anything and my headphones remain connected in terms of sound. What could possibly be causing this issue. I have latest beta bios for the motherboard and audio drivers from the cd. My headphones also work fine without issue. I checked if they are plugged in and they are.

My hypothesis is that it can either be that the cable on my headphone crapped out and/or my motherboard line out jack (green one) is going to die very soon. Is any of the two a possibility or is something else causing this.

Thanks for help in advance.

New computer, after installing hardware, getting BSOD..
Even can't start install Win 7
The system is:
P8Z68-V PRO
i7 2600K
4x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X Edition Dual Channel CL7-8-7-24
ENERMAX PRO82+ 525W
2 x WD Caviar BLACK 1 TB
BIOS 501

Next boot after BSOD getting overclock fail massage, but in the BIOS I set overclock off.
Ai overclock Tuner = Manual
BCLK = 100
Turbo = off
And indeed I am getting CPU speed of 3.4Ghz (as should be)

So where is the overclocking ? and why the system fails ?
Also checked memory setting, and they are ok.. (CL7-8-7-24)
Really appreciate your help..!

Next boot after BSOD getting overclock fail massage, but in the BIOS I set overclock off.
BCLK = 100
Turbo = off

Have you tried with factory defaults? overclock tuner should be on AUTO if it's set to defaults and I'm guessing it's complaining about your RAM settings (even if they are correct per the modules) - try AUTO / factory defaults to see if you get rid of this first and then adjust from there.

@kickasscop
sounds to me like something is powersaving or sleeping
just try using it long time and see if it happens

Have you tried with factory defaults? overclock tuner should be on AUTO if it's set to defaults and I'm guessing it's complaining about your RAM settings (even if they are correct per the modules) - try AUTO / factory defaults to see if you get rid of this first and then adjust from there.

Thanks for the suggestion, but when overclock Tuner is set to auto i get all sort of weird results, CPU speed is increasing (And fails..)
were do i set the correct memory setting ? or set the memory not to overclock ?

thanks

The system is:
P8Z68-V PRO
i7 2600K
4x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X Edition Dual Channel CL7-8-7-24
ENERMAX PRO82+ 525W
2 x WD Caviar BLACK 1 TB
BIOS 501

BCLK = 100
Turbo = off

Your prob seems to be the RAM
First of all, with 16GB you have to go slightly higher voltage
Secondly I dont know where you are getting that CAS 7 latency info from, all the 16GB KITS on newegg are 1.5V CAS 9. There are the CAS7 2X4GB but no 16GB kits 4X4GB as you posted. Fwiw - its generally not known that two 8GB pairs of RAM might not even boot, they must be matched - in other words all 4 sticks in one package
You will have to look in CPUID memory tab to check what your SPD chip settings are and reproduce one of them them exactly. If that RAM is XMP then you should set it as so in bios.
Thirdly - to get your build stable you shouldnt even think about loading all sticks right from the start - use only 1 in slot A2. I am betting two 4GB sticks FROM SAME PACKAGE (hope you didnt mix them up) in A2 and B2 with XMP set in bios would boot @1.55 - just to be safe..
You could also try the mem O.K. button on mobo after FIRST carefully reading the manual about it.

My advice (which you are not gonna like) is to just buy some el cheapo 1.5V 1333 RAM sticks (like supertalent with Micron or samsung drams)) and be done with it. The memory controller on the SB CPU is on the die, so who cares about super duper RAM?? I bought 4 sticks of ST 4GB 1333 1.5V for some ridiculous price, Micron, set bios to 1.55 and they booted right up

hi all , first timer here so go easy :)
have a new first build which seems to be having some bad symptoms ... new to all things regarding oc and such ... so i'm not going to play with any settings that i dont know about .... which is pretty much everything !!!
the system is :
i7 2600k
p8z68 deluxe
2 x 4gb corsair dominator gt
2 x gigabyte gtx 590 (running in quad sli)
ocz vertex 3 ssd 120 gb (boot drive)
600 gb velociraptor (storage)
swiftec external radiator water cooling
corsair ax1200 psu
first up .. installed windows 7 64bit and all drivers ai suite an so on and everything was going well . decided to give the thing a workout and ran ai suite auto tune to extreme and gained a 43% increase .. ran 3dmark and got some good results , was very impressed !! system ran fine all day all night .. till the next day when i got home from work . turned it on . fine . ran for 10 minutes then shut down ..:( ... power and reset buttons on the mobo were flashing ... but not in a good way .. unplugged and let it rest for a while .... turned it back on after about half an hour and upon boot got overclock failed msg ... .. doh !!! .. reset bios to default and ran for a while .. all good .... :) next day tried auto tune to fast .. thinking this wont be so bad ... worked well ran all night no probs !!! next day , start , boot , ran for half an hour then it shut down again :( this time no power or reset lights flashing at all ... nuffin ... unplugged power and let it sit for a while ... then a while more , took about an hour before power and reset lights came back on . next start up entered bios and reset to default again ... all well ... for about an hour . system shut down again :( ... internet search on trusty ol laptop ... found this site and started reading :) .... wealth of info ... good stuff .. just a wee bit over my head though :) ... had the sleep problem ... and the power up shut down power up before boot thingie ... next boot i disabled the pll overvoltage thing and went into os to change power settings to never sleep never hibernate hoping that will curb the sleep problem ... *fingers crossed* over the last couple of days the system boots up ok and runs , but it still shuts down at random times ... with increasing time before the mobo seems to "relight" the power/reset buttons ... and last night not at all ... more than a few hours hours ... i gave up and went to sleep :( ... tonight , home from work , power/reset buttons are on ... so just thought i'd pop by to see if this think tank has any ideas for me before i hit the power button ... it's an expensive build and the last thing i want is a pricey ornament ... any and all help will be welcome .... thanks guys :)

tiny update ... power and reset buttons on mobo have turned off without even turning the system on .... about about an hour or so after plugging it back in ... starting to get a not happy feeling ...:(

Last edited:
Secondly I dont know where you are getting that CAS 7 latency info from, all the 16GB KITS on newegg are 1.5V CAS 9. There are the CAS7 2X4GB but no 16GB kits 4X4GB as you posted. Fwiw - its generally not known that two 8GB pairs of RAM might not even boot, they must be matched - in other words all 4 sticks in one package

No offense, but http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=359 .

Hi all. Posted this at a few other places but no help there yet. Maybe someone could help me with a few problems I've been having.

1. I downloaded the lastest intel graphics drivers and tried to install it. I unzipped the file and it seems there are several folders and setup.exe files. I wasn't sure which to install, but I ran setup.exe file in the initial folder. I'm getting the error "an error occured while registering one or more components. Setup will exit". I ran C:\...\intel_graphics_v815102372_VistaWin7\winvist a7_64\install\setup.exe this morning and got the same message.

- intel quick sync not functioning properly when encoding or decoding h.264
- i think there is a error in the driver instal when registering the h.264 .dll
- is there a way to test and verify intel quick sync functionality besides encoding and decoding h.264 content?

2. I have the usb 3.0 header plugged in and only one of the USB 3.0 ports is functioning? Any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------
i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz 1.425 vcore (linx 0.6.4 stable 10 passes "all") watercooling
z68 pro 0651 bios
8gb ddr3 corrsair vengance 1600 mhz
silverstone 850w psu
evga 8800 gtx
crucial m4 64 GB SSD win 7 64bit boot (intel port)
500 GB HDD + 250 GB HDD (storage)
Hot swapable and AHCI enabled all ports
---------------------------------------------------------

You will have to look in CPUID memory tab to check what your SPD chip settings are and reproduce one of them them exactly. If that RAM is XMP then you should set it as so in bios.
Thirdly - to get your build stable you shouldnt even think about loading all sticks right from the start - use only 1 in slot A2. I am betting two 4GB sticks FROM SAME PACKAGE (hope you didnt mix them up) in A2 and B2 with XMP set in bios would boot @1.55 - just to be safe..
You could also try the mem O.K. button on mobo after FIRST carefully reading the manual about it.

My advice (which you are not gonna like) is to just buy some el cheapo 1.5V 1333 RAM sticks (like supertalent with Micron or samsung drams)) and be done with it. The memory controller on the SB CPU is on the die, so who cares about super duper RAM?? I bought 4 sticks of ST 4GB 1333 1.5V for some ridiculous price, Micron, set bios to 1.55 and they booted right up

Thanks for the explanation.. I had no idea you have to match the sets.
I saw that indeed there are 16GB sets of cas 7, but mine, as you have guessed is two sets of 8GB. So you believe this is the problem?
If you buy only 8GB and in the futue you want to upgrade with an extra set of 8GB you can't??
Anyway,
I will try installing only 8GB.

Hi all. Posted this at a few other places but no help there yet. Maybe someone could help me with a few problems I've been having.

1. I downloaded the lastest intel graphics drivers and tried to install it. I unzipped the file and it seems there are several folders and setup.exe files. I wasn't sure which to install, but I ran setup.exe file in the initial folder. I'm getting the error "an error occured while registering one or more components. Setup will exit". I ran C:\...\intel_graphics_v815102372_VistaWin7\winvist a7_64\install\setup.exe this morning and got the same message.

- intel quick sync not functioning properly when encoding or decoding h.264
- i think there is a error in the driver instal when registering the h.264 .dll
- is there a way to test and verify intel quick sync functionality besides encoding and decoding h.264 content?

2. I have the usb 3.0 header plugged in and only one of the USB 3.0 ports is functioning? Any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------
i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz 1.425 vcore (linx 0.6.4 stable 10 passes "all") watercooling
z68 pro 0651 bios
8gb ddr3 corrsair vengance 1600 mhz
silverstone 850w psu
evga 8800 gtx
crucial m4 64 GB SSD win 7 64bit boot (intel port)
500 GB HDD + 250 GB HDD (storage)
Hot swapable and AHCI enabled all ports
---------------------------------------------------------

I got to thinking. Could my Intel HD graphics driver install error be due to the version of windows 7 I am running. Currently I'm using Win 7 Ultimate N 64bit. N is a version without Windows media center or player.

Still unsure why only one USB 3.0 port works when using the front header.

Back