ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

Which tool do you use to check, if C1E is enabled etc.?
I want to try it.

I just use CPU-z which shows it's using the highest Multi only. If I then start another program such as 'throttlestop' just in monitoring mode which includes a tick for C1E I can toggle that on/off - when I turn it ON via this software, the Multi starts going down as it should (just for those new to my question; it's already set to ENABLED in BIOS).

You can use the MSR tool also and read the value while toggling that switch to see the value changes.

Am I the only one who has this problem..?

Try disabling C1E.
Only let INtel Speedstep/EIST set to enabled.

Does it clock down?

Thanks for your help, but it's still the same.

It's not a show-stopper or anything, I can still live with C6 disabled but I just didn't think that's normal and/or if it's just me having this problem (also tried with the previous BETA 8801 or something.. same thing).

SSD caching doesn't work. Have installed the latest RST 10.5 (10.5.0.1027), configured SATA to RAID, and have a spare SSD attached to board but no caching.

This is one of main reasons I bought the board and it is a show stopper from my perspective.

Last edited:
SSD caching doesn't work. Have installed the latest RST 10.5 (10.5.0.1027), configured SATA to RAID, and have a spare SSD attached to board but no caching.

This is one of main reasons I bought the board and it is a show stopper from my perspective.

Hi,

What drives are you using - the main drive and the caching drive?

-Raja

OS drive is an Intel 510 120G SSD. Have a spare Vertex 2 60G attached for SSD caching. Apps and data on HDD RAID.

OS drive is an Intel 510 120G SSD. Have a spare Vertex 2 60G attached for SSD caching. Apps and data on HDD RAID.

That won't work - Intel stipulates that the caching drive has to have a higher performance metric than the drive you are attempting to cache. The caching is designed to improve the performance of a single HDD when used as your primary OS drive/or other with a small SSD drive, thus getting the benefit of SSD caching.You are already using an SSD as your OS drive, so caching really isn't going to do anything for you in this instance while your HDDs are in a RAID array again not compatible with the Intel requirements.

http://download.intel.com/support/m...ntel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

As you can see - the requirement is a single HDD and a SSD.

-Raja

That won't work - Intel stipulates that the caching drive has to have a higher performance metric than the drive you are attempting to cache. The caching is designed to improve the performance of a single HDD when used as your primary OS drive/or other with a small SSD drive, thus getting the benefit of SSD caching.You are already using an SSD as your OS drive, so caching really isn't going to do anything for you in this instance while your HDDs are in a RAID array again not compatible with the Intel requirements.

http://download.intel.com/support/m...ntel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

As you can see - the requirement is a single HDD and a SSD.

-Raja

Thank you for your reply.

Basically I have to down grade my system to get the new improved feature to work.

Many folks today use small SSDs for OS drives. That is ignored with this new improved feature, maybe also characterized as a "day late and a dollar short" feature. Where the OS sets should not effect SRT.

Many of the reviews including those for the P8Z68 measure gaming (I'm not that much of a gamer) to show how great SSD caching is using apps stored on a HDD (not SSD) and show how great SSD caching is.

T.

Many of the reviews including those for the P8Z68 measure gaming (I'm not that much of a gamer) to show how great SSD caching is using apps stored on a HDD (not SSD) and show how great SSD caching is.

Hi,

Exactly that. The idea is to improve single HDD performance with the addition of a small SSD - because the SSD is faster than the HDD. Now if you've already got an SSD as the OS drive it really doesn't make sense to use SSD caching. The important thing to note here is that SSD storage space is expensive when compared to a HDD - hence SRT aims to provide a SSD style performance boost at a reduced cost (limitations withstanding).

-Raja

Hi,

Exactly that. The idea is to improve single HDD performance with the addition of a small SSD - because the SSD is faster than the HDD. Now if you've already got an SSD as the OS drive it really doesn't make sense to use SSD caching. The important thing to note here is that SSD storage space is expensive when compared to a HDD - hence SRT aims to provide a SSD style performance boost at a reduced cost (limitations withstanding).

-Raja

I know all that about the SSD versus HDD.

You're telling me the OS is dominating performance when I'm running apps? Guess I didn't realize that.

Intel has limited the potential flexibility of SRT by making an assumption about where the OS is stored. The software could have been written without any assumption (their requirement) about where the OS is stored. And yes, I do write software.

I know all that about the SSD versus HDD.

You're telling me the OS is dominating performance when I'm running apps? Guess I didn't realize that.

Intel has limited the potential flexibility of SRT by making an assumption about where the OS is stored. The software could have been written without any assumption (their requirement) about where the OS is stored. And yes, I do write software.

The assumption is that SRT helps improve the performance of a single HDD.

I suppose you are just looking for the benefits of caching gains on your RAID array, in which case it might be worth looking at this:

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/

It's free to test and play around with (might work with that RAID array). Side effect is that one needs plentiful system RAM.

-Raja

Thanks for the link Raja.

You are welcome. It's a pretty nifty piece of software - been using it on my main rig for a while and it works good. If it allows the RAID array to be cached - you can set L2 cache on your SSD and whatever amount of memory you can spare as L1.

-Raja

In the Intel SRT User's Guide, instruction No. 12, it says "Select the HHD (or RAID volume) to be accelerated." Doesn't that mean RAID is also supported by SRT, or maybe only certain type of RAID?

In the Intel SRT User's Guide, instruction No. 12, it says "Select the HHD (or RAID volume) to be accelerated." Doesn't that mean RAID is also supported by SRT, or maybe only certain type of RAID?

I think it's related to having a single volume RAID array if you look at the system requirements.

-Raja

Yes, you can use SRT with single drives or RAID volumes. Regardless of what you are caching, you still have to have the controller in RAID mode.

Updated first post:
BIOS 0501 is due to go up soon, this will be for all current Z68 motherboards (P8Z68-V, Pro, Deluxe).
Did the 0501 bios get pulled from the Asus site?

edit: nvm, it's packaged with the intel rst drivers: P8Z68-V-PRO-ASUS-0501-IRST-10501026.zip

Last edited:

This is how I feel too.. did registry hack to move from AHCI to RAID just to give this a go, no SRT as OS is on SSD. Definitely limited functionality IMO. I can easily leave 25GB-50GB free space (unallocated) on the SSD (256GB) and if SRT would allow I could cache the HDD to that area (apps etc).

When will Asus fix the sleep problems with these boards? When I wake the computer there is a long delay before my usb keyboard receives power again. It was the same with the P8P67 boards and much as I like the Asus EUFI bios, I'm now looking at changing to another manufacturers board because of these problems.

When will Asus fix the sleep problems with these boards? When I wake the computer there is a long delay before my usb keyboard receives power again. It was the same with the P8P67 boards and much as I like the Asus EUFI bios, I'm now looking at changing to another manufacturers board because of these problems.

Can you list the keyboard model and revision number (if any) please.

-Raja

A small update I've now discovered this only happens when the keyboard is plugged into any of the USB 2.0 ports, there is no problem when it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port except obviously I can't get into the bios.

That's interesting you had an issue with the keyboard on bootup. I also experienced a similar thing where no keyboard was found on bootup. This obviously makes going into bios somewhat tricky! The keyboard is a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 v1.0.

It was behaving rather strangely and randomly. When it did work, if I rebooted the PC after a software installation, it would not find the keyboard again!

In the end, I yanked out all the usb devices attached and only have the mouse/keyboard and external usb hard disk plugged into the motherboard rear ports and it's been working flawlessly. The only two items not plugged in are two el cheapo usb hubs I've got. I've not plugged them back in yet as I've not needed them so I suspect that it's got something to do with them.

Is anyone able to confirm that the Asus P8Z68-V Pro supports dual-link DVI output at 2560x1600 resolution with the integrated CPU graphics? The official motherboard specifications only show DVI support up to 1920x1200. Although I do see that the DVI port has a pinout that suggests dual-link support, I have not been able to find confirmation anywhere that the board can drive a 2560x1600 display.

In a similar vein, any eta on the Maximus IV Extreme-Z now that it has appeared on the Asus website?

Raja, did you have time to ask when the Z68 Deluxe will be out yet?

In a similar vein, any eta on the Maximus IV Extreme-Z now that it has appeared on the Asus website?

Sending an email now. Sorry I've been a little remiss, had my hands full trying to get something up that looks like a BIOS guide for AMD - it's gonna be a looooong night..lol

Will get you an answer asap.

-Raja

@peter-g

Just curious - what does the sleep function offer that makes it absolutely necessary and invaluable for your daily PC use?

Well I finally returned my P8P67 Pro for a refund and got the P8Z68 Deluxe today. Everything went well and I have my old OC back with exactly the same settings I used on the Pro before. I didn't reinstall Windows 7 but removed the Chipset/LAN/RST drivers before I switched the boards and reinstalled them later, no problems whatsoever.

Later today I changed from AHCI to RAID mode in the BIOS because I want to setup a storage array in the near future. Windows 7 does a BSOD and reboot right at the start, even in save mode it's not starting when in RAID mode. All connected SDD/HDD are single volumes and I have the latest RST driver installed, whats the problem here?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

@peter-g

Just curious - what does the sleep function offer that makes it absolutely necessary and invaluable for your daily PC use?

Just the much faster start up time almost instant on because I'm on and off the PC all day, although with my SSD drive for the OS it's only about 32 sec from a cold boot to a usable desktop :)

Well I finally returned my P8P67 Pro for a refund and got the P8Z68 Deluxe today. Everything went well and I have my old OC back with exactly the same settings I used on the Pro before. I didn't reinstall Windows 7 but removed the Chipset/LAN/RST drivers before I switched the boards and reinstalled them later, no problems whatsoever.

Later today I changed from AHCI to RAID mode in the BIOS because I want to setup a storage array in the near future. Windows 7 does a BSOD and reboot right at the start, even in save mode it's not starting when in RAID mode. All connected SDD/HDD are single volumes and I have the latest RST driver installed, whats the problem here?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Only way around this is to hack the registry to enable RAID mode I think, or reinstall the OS.

-Raja

Only way around this is to hack the registry to enable RAID mode I think, or reinstall the OS.

-Raja

The easiest thing to do is reinstall the OS with the controller in RAID mode. If you are going to use "maximum performance" mode for the SSD cache I'd advise actually creating the cache volume after the OS is installed. Aside from that there may be fixes similar to switching from IDE to AHCI drivers on a boot volume. Though I've never tried that myself.

Thanks guys :)
I have no plans to use SSD caching, I have one for the OS and one for my programs + games already.
I want a large storage volume and can't really afford expensive raid controllers so I thought raid5 with with rst would be a good idea, speed doesn't matter here its just storage.

Regarding the problem I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Looks like MS has a solution which makes reinstalling unnecessary.

Thanks guys :)
I have no plans to use SSD caching, I have one for the OS and one for my programs + games already.
I want a large storage volume and can't really afford expensive raid controllers so I thought raid5 with with rst would be a good idea, speed doesn't matter here its just storage.

Regarding the problem I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Looks like MS has a solution which makes reinstalling unnecessary.

RAID 5 using onboard controllers is terrible in my experience. If you were going to do it, SSD caching would probably be a good idea. Though the overhead might be a bit much. I'm not sure, I've never tried that exact solution.

RAID 5 using onboard controllers is terrible in my experience
Read performance too? I have no clue honestly, we use real controllers at work and for home use I only setup a RAID 0 via BIOS once. I can imagine rebuilding would take days with fake-raid, the low write speed is no problem for me. I want to store my picture collections, videos, music, etc. and thought either RAID 5 or 10 would be the best way.

Back