ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

Image snip......................

Image snip......................

the ram i have is DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) idk why the motherboard reads the ram differently

The motherboard isn't reading your RAM differently. Memory speed is set by the bus clock multiplied by a given ratio to give it the final speed. Also 2133MHz memory is always an overclocked speed. So you will have to set the memory to the right ratio with your base clock set at 100.0MHz to achieve this.

What operating system are you using? I have a Z68 board here I can try and replicate with. C3 and C6 are not generally bound to C1 EIST. Are the Windows power options set to balanced?

-Raja

I'm using Win7 64bit and was using High Performance (min. processor state at 75%). I changed this to Balanced (min. processor state at 5%) and now it behaves as expected but it still (IMO) doesn't explain why with High Perfomance it won't clock down and therefore the volts don't go down (ie: making offset OC useless).

I can keep High Performance mode on and get it to downclock by using a program called 'Throttlestop' and enabling C1E there - it then behaves exactly same way as in Balanced mode. Main reason I want to do this is to allow my SSD performance to perform at it's peak, but if the CPU doesn't downclock/volt when not pushed then I'm loosing power-saving features which (again IMO as I leave C1E enabled in BIOS) shouldn't be effected.

I can work around this even if odd in my opinion, as shown above.

What I'm having more problems with is the 2nd item I listed; I can't apparently perform image restore using Win7 as the restoration fails (0x80070057)? Having an SSD I want to be able to Secure Erase it but at the moment I'm having to pull it out of this computer just to restore the image I made earlier. This happens with BIOS set to default, with no RAID etc - everything stock. The image I make and the disk I use work fine as I can restore it on another computer using Win7.

I'm using Win7 64bit and was using High Performance (min. processor state at 75%). I changed this to Balanced (min. processor state at 5%) and now it behaves as expected but it still (IMO) doesn't explain why with High Perfomance it won't clock down and therefore the volts don't go down (ie: making offset OC useless).

I can keep High Performance mode on and get it to downclock by using a program called 'Throttlestop' and enabling C1E there - it then behaves exactly same way as in Balanced mode. Main reason I want to do this is to allow my SSD performance to perform at it's peak, but if the CPU doesn't downclock/volt when not pushed then I'm loosing power-saving features which (again IMO as I leave C1E enabled in BIOS) shouldn't be effected.

I can work around this even if odd in my opinion, as shown above.

What I'm having more problems with is the 2nd item I listed; I can't apparently perform image restore using Win7 as the restoration fails (0x80070057)? Having an SSD I want to be able to Secure Erase it but at the moment I'm having to pull it out of this computer just to restore the image I made earlier. This happens with BIOS set to default, with no RAID etc - everything stock. The image I make and the disk I use work fine as I can restore it on another computer using Win7.

You need to run balanced power modes - or setup high performance such that the clock-down percentage is at the right level for idle power down. Try different percentage levels in balanced mode and let me know what happens.

As for the secure erase, I think you may need to enable "Hot Swap" in BIOS on the SATA port the SSD drive is connected to. I will ask about that though and get back to you.

The image you made - is it from an older BIOS that uses a different OROM and IRST drivers?

-Raja

Need some help. Changing the ram on my z68 v pro and i want to know if i have to reset the bios to defaults before i change the sticks. Also do i have to turn off the TPU switch on the mobo before the change? thanks.

Need some help. Changing the ram on my z68 v pro and i want to know if i have to reset the bios to defaults before i change the sticks. Also do i have to turn off the TPU switch on the mobo before the change? thanks.

Hi

Yes it would be wise to clear CMOS and turn TPU off after making memory module changes.

-Raja

Thanks will do. Is there any other way of clearing CMOS because the battery for some weird reason is under the GPU and dont want to take that out as well. thanks

Thanks will do. Is there any other way of clearing CMOS because the battery for some weird reason is under the GPU and dont want to take that out as well. thanks

Why do people insist on using the battery method? It's almost never needed on any board.

Many ASUS boards have a clear CMOS button on the back plane. Other than that there are sometimes such buttons on the board near the last expansion slot. If not, they sometimes have jumper connections on the board meaning they have the dual solder points but no actual jumper. You can use a paper clip to create a short between the solder points. That's worked for me on a number of ASUS boards. If you are very lucky, they may have an actual jumper for it. Though it will likely be very near the battery location.

Hi,

You can use the Clear RTC jumper placed at the lower right corner of the board.

-Raja

Is there still issues with the P8z68-V Pro on 0501 with resuming from low power states? Or is there a work around?

Windows 7 is freezing when the system goes to sleep as well as when sleep is disabled in Windows and the system sits idle for and extended period of time.

Thoughts? Sorry if I mistake a work around in the thread.

Last edited:
Is there still issues with the P8z68-V Pro on 0501 with resuming from low power states? Or is there a work around?

Windows 7 is freezing when the system goes to sleep as well as when sleep is disabled in Windows and the system sits idle for and extended period of time.

Thoughts? Sorry if I mistake a work around in the thread.

Mine was freezing as well when left idle (sleep disabled) -- turns out the motherboard had detected the the memory timings/voltages wrong and after adjusting those it seems to be ok.

Is anyone else unable to get AI Suite II to install? I'm on the latest 0501 bios, tried 10128 and 10124 AI Suite. Windows 7 64bit SP1 with all updates and .net. I had read about a patch being required -- are bios settings or switch toggles required to get the installer to run? It crashes before I see any options. Any links to the patch?

To Raja (or anybody else who can answer it :) )

Does SSD caching work on a TrueCrypt encrypted HDD or even on an encrypted Intel RAID of 2 disks?

Thanks and best regards

You need to run balanced power modes - or setup high performance such that the clock-down percentage is at the right level for idle power down. Try different percentage levels in balanced mode and let me know what happens.

In Balanced mode default settings it will clock down as soon as I put the Min. CPU state to 47% (anything above and it stays at highest Multi).

In High Performance settings it stays at highest Multi even when I drop the Min. CPU state to 1%? I then matched both Balanced and High Performance on all options and tried the Min. CPU state again - same result. High Performance does not allow it to clock down at any stage while Balanced allows it at 47% or below?

add: my C0% is at 1% or less so it's effectively idling, far from being used/pushed.

As for the secure erase, I think you may need to enable "Hot Swap" in BIOS on the SATA port the SSD drive is connected to. I will ask about that though and get back to you.

The image you made - is it from an older BIOS that uses a different OROM and IRST drivers?

-Raja

I have How Swap enabled for the SSD port. The image is new, done after I migrated to the latest BIOS etc so there wasn't days in-between making the image and trying to restore it. I have tried restoring the image without doing a Secure Erase also with the same result.

epu is flicked up and tpu is down so idk

Check the led lights near the switches.. no light, they're not on.

Last edited:
For anyone who was wondering: yes, you can fit 2x 6950 Asus DirectCU II triple slot cards in crossfire on this motherboard (P8Z68-V Pro). It's close, but it's working!

First i want to apologise for my English i am from Poland

i want to bay tommarow asus p8z68 delux and i have caple questions
1 Whitch drivers too use from asus side or from http://downloadcenter.intel.com i dont know witch to download
2 can someone can give me step by step bios update procedure ?
3 I will be useing caple of disks 1 ssd ALL AHCI no Raid i want too know i have to instal intel RST or not and how too do it F6 on windows setup or on working system?

Txs for your help

Last edited:
First i want to apologise for my English i am from Poland

i want to bay tommarow asus p8z68 delux and i have caple questions
1 Whitch drivers too use from asus side or from http://downloadcenter.intel.com i dont know witch to download
2 can someone can give me step by step bios update procedure ?
3 I will be useing caple of disks 1 ssd ALL AHCI no Raid i want too know i have to instal intel RST or not and how too do it F6 on windows setup or on working system?

Txs for your help

Hi,

1. You can use Intel Chipset and MEI from the Intel site if these are newer than ASUS site. Follow the links in post one of this thread.

2. You can update BIOS with a FAT partitioned USB drive if you wish from EZ-Flash 2 in BIOS. It is very easy. Just select EZ-Flash 2 from BIOS and then navigate to the folder with the BIOS file. Click on that file and follow the prompts onscreen,

3. Start with no RST please. Use the MS drivers and if everything installs and works fine you can try IRST later.

-Raja

txs for ansver
2 i mean do i have to reset cmos after update bios ?
and how to do it propertly ?
3 "you can try IRST later."
i can do it from system or i have to reinstall ?

Txs for your help

txs for ansver
2 i mean do i have to reset cmos after update bios ?
and how to do it propertly ?
3 "you can try IRST later."
i can do it from system or i have to reinstall ?

Txs for your help

2. yes you can clear CMOS - use the Clear RTC Jumper on the board.

3. Yes, can install those from the OS for your configuration.

-Raja

Just an update on my image restore woes.. I installed RST 10.5.1.1001 when they came out and today decided to take another run at this - new image and new 'system restore disk'.

It's now restoring successfully on the computer from the internal HDD which is great. I doubt the RST drives made a difference but that's the only thing I can think of changing since the last attempt so just mentioning it.

I have had the same problem regarding AI Suite II not installing. I have call Asus technical Support 5 times and was told there was nothing they could do because it was a software problem and they did not make the software suite. Asus gave me the number of software support which was actually a company name Omnitech (Ominitechsupport.com/lmi). They asked for access to my computer via a remote link. They check the event log accessed my registry and told me that I had a polymorphic virus that corrupted my registry even though I have had Norton 360 running continuously. They then tried to get me to buy a one year maintenance program for $299.00. When I told them that this was a scam and only wanted AI Suite II to work, I was told that it would cost me $99.00. I terminated the connection and immediately uninstalled the remote access applet. I only allowed them to install it because I thought they were connected to ASUS. If this is the type of chicanery and fraud that Asus tech support involves itself in, then management needs to do something about it. In the meantime I still can't get the suite to install.

Can i ask what other files from 501 bios for p8z68 deluxe pack do?
IRST_10501026_XpVistaWin7
why MEI are so much difrence and witch to install?
MEI_allOS_7.1.13.1088 from intel site have 9.7 mb
IntelMEI_V7001144_Windows from asus site have 239 mb
txs for help

Can i ask what other files from 501 bios for p8z68 deluxe pack do?
IRST_10501026_XpVistaWin7
why MEI are so much difrence and witch to install?
MEI_allOS_7.1.13.1088 from intel site have 9.7 mb
IntelMEI_V7001144_Windows from asus site have 239 mb
txs for help

From ASUS it also has other files in the package like NET framework I think. Use the smaller file if you wish.

-Raja

I also cannot get AI Suite to install. I'm on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit SP1 with all patches/.net updates, and 0501 bios on a P8Z68-V Pro. I have updated all of my drivers using the latest ones found on Asus's website. I had this problem before I put the gpus in so I can rule those out.

This is what I see:
AISuiteError.jpg

I have tried both the 10128 and 10124 AISuite III packages.

I also cannot get AI Suite to install. I'm on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit SP1 with all patches/.net updates, and 0501 bios on a P8Z68-V Pro. I have updated all of my drivers using the latest ones found on Asus's website. I had this problem before I put the gpus in so I can rule those out.

This is what I see:
AISuiteError.jpg

I have tried both the 10128 and 10124 AISuite III packages.

Try the patcher here:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8P67&p=1&ft=14&os=29#AI_Suite_II_Patcher.zip

Run as admin.

-Raja

No dice :( The patcher ran successfully and then rebooted my machine. I'm downloading 10124 again so I'll give that a shot.

I had to do a fresh install of Win7 64bit a week or so ago and at the end of that tried an install of ASII. It still wouldn't install.

I'm not wasting any more time.

It worked!!

I had to run it twice:
Right clicked and ran as admin, patched, rebooted, failed.
Right clicked -> properties -> compatability -> checked run as admin, patched, rebooted, worked.

Running version 10128 now :) Thanks! I was scared to try the P8P67 patch on my P8Z68 motherboard, but all appears to be well.

I have a non-related question:
I am running a Corsair H60 cpu cooler in push/pull. I have the pump connected to the PWR_FAN 1 header on the top right (in a standard case mounting scenario) of the motherboard. I then have both the push and pull fans mounted to the CPU_FAN 1 and CPU_OPT ports (the two fan ports next to each other at the top of the motherboard). I would like to be able to tune the fan speed of the push/pull fans, while always maintaining full pump speed -- is this the proper way to have that hooked up?

Good to hear it worked for you Sn1PeR!

I've been writing software for 35+ years and ASII is clearly a very fragile piece of software for this environment.

I have a non-related question:
I am running a Corsair H60 cpu cooler in push/pull. I have the pump connected to the PWR_FAN 1 header on the top right (in a standard case mounting scenario) of the motherboard. I then have both the push and pull fans mounted to the CPU_FAN 1 and CPU_OPT ports (the two fan ports next to each other at the top of the motherboard). I would like to be able to tune the fan speed of the push/pull fans, while always maintaining full pump speed -- is this the proper way to have that hooked up?

Yes, if you go to the fan control menu in the BIOS the CPU fan header speed is controllable as a separate entity to the PWR fan.

-Raja

deeppow,
Thank you very much for your help. After 5 days I got it to work after installing the patch. If only someone from Asus Tech support had been informed/educated by Asus, a lot of Z68 owners would have been free of the frustration and time wasted that we all unnecessarily experienced. Thanks again. I'm still upset about the support tech referral to the scam artists Omnitech. I never had a viruus which was confirmed by Norton 360, Microsoft anti malware software and malwarebytes.your help is greatly appreciated.

deeppow,
Thank you very much for your help. After 5 days I got it to work after installing the patch. If only someone from Asus Tech support had been informed/educated by Asus, a lot of Z68 owners would have been free of the frustration and time wasted that we all unnecessarily experienced. Thanks again. I'm still upset about the support tech referral to the scam artists Omnitech. I never had a viruus which was confirmed by Norton 360, Microsoft anti malware software and malwarebytes.your help is greatly appreciated.

Please PM me your support call case number as we want to look into this.All calls are recorded.

-Raja

Have to show that the P8Z68-V Pro will fit 2x Asus 6950 DirectCU II triple slot cards in Crossfire:

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

I already posted these in the 650D thread, but I was nervous about them fitting and couldn't find pictures on the internet -- hopefully anyone else in question will find these.

Hi all,

First post here. Recently DIY a new PC with Asus P8Z68-V Pro. Installation went well and got most of my program in. But it seems like sometimes the PC doesn't start up when I press the power button on my casing.

The motherboard has power button with red led and reset button with green led. The red power led is always lit when connected to power. So when I power up the system via the casing power button, what happens during a normal system start up is the motherboard's reset button's green led will lit and the system will come to life (fan spin, HDD spin, motherboard goes thru the q-led check and system POST and boots into Windows). Once the PC is running, everything is fine and stable. Have not experience any BSOD or freeze up at all.

So what happens during, what I call false starts, I press the casing power button and nothing happens. No fan power up, no harddisk spin up, no q-led checks. The only thing that changed was the reset green led will also lit (as per normal opertaion). Then nothing happen, even with repeated pressing of casing power button and reset button.

The only was to start up is to switch off the psu on/off switch, wait 5 sec and switch on again. Sometimes need to do it a few times before motherboard powers up automatically without the need to press the casing or motherboard's power button.

I had this happen in my old PC before I change and I'm using back the same PSU. Could the PSU be the culprit? or is it a Bios setting issue or motherboard issue?

Below are more system information:
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Bios: 0501
CPU - Intel 2500K
Memory - GEIL 4 x 4GB 1750MHz 9-9-9-28 ay 1.5V set to run at 1600Mhz
O/S - Win 7 Pro 64bit
PSU - Seasonic X-650

Ram: Geil Enhanced Plus DDR3 1750MHz CAS9 4GB x 4. I set it to run at DDR3-1600 in bios. Asus bios put as target or turbo (not sure what's the exact term. numbers in yellow colour) OC for CPU is 3700Ghz and Memory @1600MHz.

Did not OC yet. Following are the Bios settings I changed from the default.
- Bios disabled Marvell, JMicron controller, 1394 controller & Bluetooth Controller.
- Sata default at ACHI
- RAM voltage set at 1.5V
- Initiate Graphic Adapter: iGPU (as I only use onboard dvi)
- PLL over-voltage disabled

Have checked clearcmos jumper is in the right place, have done clearcmos before. TPU & EPU disabled.

Anyone else had similar issue or solved it before?

Back