ASUS Official Poll - When do you plan to upgrade and why?

When will you upgrade your Desktop PC?

• Total voters

OC_Seer

ASUS Power User Support
Hi guys, I'm Mason and I will be handling forum moderation for ASUS as part of our Technical Marketing team. We are very interested in your thoughts and feedback regarding not only our products but on the PC industry as a whole.

For this poll I would like to know when/if you plan on upgrading your desktop PC, what you plan on upgrading to, and why. Thanks for checking out my poll. I look forward to your feedback! :) Also, feel free to comment as to what exactly it is you're going to upgrade to and why. Both camps have some really exciting things planned and I'd love to see what you think.

Last edited:
I've had this Q6600 and P5QL-E for awhile now. Even at 3.61 GHz (air) it is starting to show some age. I use it for a lot of things including audio editing and now a little F@H. I will go with a 6 core set up in the near future. As a PC Tech, I am expected to have the latest and greatest but this setup has served me well.

I upgrade every three months, or less. Its either AMD or Intel but there wasn't an option for both so I voted for the next 3-6 months: Intel which is close to what I'm doing,

I am looking forward to updating to the crosshair iv extreme. Any idea when and if this will release? If I don't see it soon I will just have to get the formula.

I think you might find that a lot of us on here are CONSTANTLY upgrading. I built my computer in June of 09 and Ive had 3 CPU's, 2 GPU's and 2 PSU's and am currently shopping for a new GPU. Im waiting now for the 6000's to drop from AMD to see what happens with the video card prices and I plan on upgrading CPU, motherboard and RAM once Bulldozer hits.

For the sake of the poll, I selected "within the next 3-6 months" but my official answer would be "constantly upgrading". ;)

Oh and just for the record, the Crosshair IV gives me wood! :D

Already upgraded this year because I thought I7 was a bigger upgrade than it was. I fooled myself. It will prolly be a while b4 I upgrade again outside of a video card in the next few months. Who knows, maybe Intel's next offering will be a bit more of an upgrade than I7 was over core2quad for gamers that only use a single gpu at higher resolutions. If that happens, maybe I will bite.

Last edited:
Upgrading in the next 3-6 months with an Intel chipset.

I know Sandy Bridge is right around the corner, but by the time it's released, I'd probably convince myself to wait another few months for the motherboards to mature... at which point, why not just wait for the LGA-2011 socket?

I'm still running a Northwood and have been playing the waiting game for a little over 7 years. Yeah... I'm pretty bad.

Since I've already waited this long, I figure I can wait another week to see the official numbers Intel releases for Sandy Bridge over at IDF. Short of anything amazing, I'll settle for an i7-950 build this fall/winter.

What about within a year, this vanilla p5b has served me well though, thanks.

I just upgraded my server from A7N8X-E deluxe. 2800 Barton
I will never get rid of this setup. It has been thru everything and still rox. Just had to get something faster.
I run 4 Asus boards constantly and have owned about 10. So just wanted to throw that in there and that I love Asus products. My next big upgrade will be in about 14 months.

Upgrading within this month. AMD preferably, just because cpu value is my breaking point.

I will be upgrading as soon as a manufacturer provides a complete and useful bios section of a motherboard manual that fully explains what the settings actually do and also details all the changes in a bios update with a decent readme file. So basically, never , the way things are going.

I already upgraded to the rig in my sig this year.

I'm waiting on the ATI 6000 series to see whether I think it is a worth while upgrade from my 4850.

I'm also waiting to see what AMD has in store with their new CPU architecture. If it is able to do what it looks like it will, then I may be upgrading sooner than planned.

And as for my ASUS P6X58D-E, I sure wish ASUS would release a new BIOS that fixes multiple issues that the 0303 one has. I contacted support already, and they finally told me to "wait for the new version and try again".

I had a Q6700 @ 3.3Ghz which I did not plan on replacing this year, but my kid's computer crapped out, so I gave them that system and built an new i7 system this past month. I chose an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard and I am quite happy with it so far. It's looking like I'll be able to run my i7-930 @ 4.2 Ghz for everyday use, but I'm still testing it :)

I almost always use Intel processors and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Perilous

You can expect release of this board within the next 30 days.

BillParrish

What specifics are you interested in. We have spent considerable time trying to implement bios build that offer strong AUTO performance so generally only known key values have to be adjusted. I do agree though the more detailing offering the better. If you have any specifics in mind please let me know.

Cyclone3d

What specifics issues are you having with the P6X58D-E?

To all so far that have responded and provided their feedback as well thank you. We at ASUS appreciate your time in providing us your feedback. Please enjoy the rest of your day and have a great weekend.

Perilous
Cyclone3d

What specifics issues are you having with the P6X58D-E?

This is with BIOS 0303.

#1. XMP mode causes a no POST with my RAM. Manual settings work fine. I cross-flashed to the Premium BIOS and XMP mode works fine.

#2. There are multiple RAM timings in the BIOS that report 1 higher in BIOS then what they are set to manually in BIOS.... So is it reporting it wrong, or are the value tables wrong?

#3. The last setting in the first group of RAM timings always defaults to 0 which causes instability. 4 is the lowest available manual setting and it works fine when manually set to 4.

#4. TurboV - tested every single version available:
a: QPI/DRAM Core voltage will not report or allow setting anything over 1.65625v, even when set higher in BIOS. The slider allows you to move it higher, but when you click apply, it jumps back down to 1.65625v.
b: IOH voltage is way off from what it is set to in BIOS. A BIOS setting of 1.24v will result in 1.36v reported in TurboV.

Already upgraded this year, and I plan to upgrade in the next 30 days.

I'm upgrading because my M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 won't recognize two nvidia video cards (bios 1606) and I'd like to run more than 2 displays. I only upgraded to it in the first place because my M4A785TD-V Evo wouldn't run windows 7 (windows timing/clock ran far too fast). I plan on upgrading to an x58 platform for better video card compatibility.

Will be upgrading to Sandy Bridge when it hits. Ideally i'll be going for an i5 2500K, as it looks like it'll be the best for gaming (if anandtech's preview is any indication). Won't be going Gigabyte again as I've had issues with my UD3P, might give ASUS a try (again).

Already built myself a new PC, at the start of this year. I bought an ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard, i7 920, 6GB CL7 PC12800 RAM, Samsung F3 1TB HDD, an ATI 5870, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, Antec P183 case.

I had wanted to wait for a mATX motherboard with USB 3 support, but I learned, towards the end of January, that the Rampage III Gene was still a long way off (in hindsight, about six months off, and I could not have waited that long). I ran out of patience and bought the ATX-based PC above. Which was a shame - I shall have to put up with the increased size of this build for its lifetime - but to be honest I am still very happy with my new PC.

The only upgrades I am likely to consider are:

- a genuinely substantial upgrade on the 5870 in a similar power consumption/heat generation range, which I don't expect to happen until we have 28nm graphics cards,

- an SSD that is a substantial improvement (price, performance and capacity) on the models currently available. I am not sure whether or not the next Intel releases in a few weeks/months will fit the bill.

I recently upgraded to Intel i7-930, few months ago. Thinking of transferring to AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, with ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe motherboard. Love your motherboards!

Will soon upgrade to an SSD.

P.S. Make more itx mobos

I upgraded one of my boxes with Intel last month. I'm looking at upgrading at least one more next year.

Just upgraded as I won the Asus motherboard from another forum contest.....I don't plan on upgrading again for a while and the next upgrade will be another 5850.

Thanks to everyone who's taken part in the poll so far. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and look forward to more of your thoughts and opinions.

cyclone3d: I will PM you regarding your issues with the P6X58D-E

Kueller: have you tried disabling the IGP and see if it detects both cards then?

Currently running:

Q6600 @ 3.4ghz
Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Asus 4850 512mb
4gb Gskill Ram
WD 320 GB HD

I'll be upgrading in the next 30-60 days to play FFXIV. I'll be having fusion back surgery so I'll wait to see how that turns out before I upgrade though. Probably by that time I'll have a better idea concerning the new ATI 6000 series graphic cards as well as Sandy Bridge. Also there might be details out about Intels new SSDs.

Plan on upgrading to a(n) middle/upper end Asus/EVGA 1366 MB with an Intel 930 or 950 unless Sandy Bridge looks good enough to wait for. Either way it'll be a MB that doesn't have vdroop problems and I want it to have most of the newer features. If I would have bought a better s775 motherboard I wouldn't need to be upgrading right now so I've learned my lesson. Only way I go EVGA is for the lifetime warranty.

Just bought a Phenom 2 X6 for myself with a Gigabyte board, a Phenom 2 X4 for my sister with a Gigabyte board, and an Athlon II X4 for my parents with an ASUS board. I remember some people calling me an intel fanboy some time ago...

I have swapped hardware more times than I care to admit this year. I went from a Core 2 Quad Q8200 to an i7 920, to an SR-2 with Dual E5530s and am now using a Phenom II 555 unlocked to a quad at the moment.

If there is anything that I would like to see from ASUS, it would be a high-end dual CPU socket system that would use LGA 2011 if possible, designed to be an enthusiast workstation board, not server.

Some sort of competition to EVGA's product would SELL LIKE HOTCAKES.

wink, wink. ;)

I already upgraded to LGA1366 earlier this year. I won't be upgrading again until LGA2011 comes out at the earliest.

Thanks to everyone who's taken part in the poll so far. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and look forward to more of your thoughts and opinions.

cyclone3d: I will PM you regarding your issues with the P6X58D-E

Kueller: have you tried disabling the IGP and see if it detects both cards then?
Yes, I clear the CMOS memory and manually re-enter bios settings after each update. That includes disabling the IGP.

Upgraded to a phenom II X6 and a Gigabyte board earlier this year. Next upgrade will be an AMD 6xxx and a SSD

i have owned 3 asus mobos and a pair of asus 5770s within the last year. best mobos by far. features, overclockability, looks, and layout are just so far above everyone else imo. im constantly upgrading, but pretty happy with what i have right now. only thing that would make me want to upgrade now is a decently priced SSD or if amd ever makes 1200x1600+2560x1600+1200x1600 eyefinity possible, then i would upgrade to a 5870. doesnt look like itll happen. oh, or if you guys (asus) make an itx 1156 mobo. i would certainly upgrade my gigabyte to that. :D

Currently using a M4A87TD-USB3 board with a PII 965BE, and while it's working perfect for now. I'd like to upgrade in the future to a board that has the following features.

1. Crossfire support that runs both PCI-Ex16 slots @ 16.
2. 2 PCI-Ex1 slots
3. 1 PCI-Ex4 slot
4. The ability to occupy ALL of those slots at the same time even with using standard double decker video cards.

I upgraded this year from a E6600 to an i7-920 but I'll probably upgrade again Q1 next year.

I have a Rampage II Extreme, and I've been considering an upgrade but I'm in no hurry. Right now, the 1366 platform isn't "advancing" too much, so to speak. It would be nice to have a Rampage III Extreme for instance, but I typically buy a new motherboard only when I need a new processor.

However, I have to say that Asus has won my business and ask that they continue to do the following:

1. Make high end RoG "Extreme" components with NO compromises. Please don't cut corners - use the best materials, give us tons of BIOS features etc...
2. Linux (64-bit) drivers/support/tools! Linux is my preferred platform, and though I'll boot into Windows when I need to, I like to do as much as I can in Linux. Thank you for providing some Linux stuff for your motherboards - its one of the reasons that I keep coming back to Asus. THe more you can make, the better.
3. Branch out into making high end, high quality options for non-traditional form factors. The Rampage II Gene is one great example. Please continue to make them for mATX and if you could add mITX that would be even better.

The next motherboard I buy will most likely be an Asus Rampage Extreme, and if I switch over to AMD for any reason I'll buy a Crosshair Extreme etc.

I don't think I will upgrade this year; I already did so in the spring.

Right now I'm running a Phenom II 945 and a GTX 260 with 4 gigs of DDR2. On an ASUS board, actually: M3n-HT Deluxe (which, after some aftermarket chipset cooling, is serving me like royalty).

At the moment I only play Bad Company 2, and Starcraft 2. And those are the most intensive games I own (Crysis notwithstanding). I have monitored my Phenom's usage through every game I regularly play, and it has never had 100% tapped. Not even close. The GTX 260 is another story; it is my framerate bottleneck.

I have thought about grabbing another 260 in the future when my gaming requires it... after the new year, I would expect to pay two figures USD. But I might instead sell it and get a Fermi or 6xxx instead. At any rate, I am satisfied in my machine's performance. Just put the ASUS mobo back in today w custom sinks, and I would feel like the proverbial fool who parts with his money if I were to upgrade now.

I'll wait tillI need a new multicore / till GPUs get cheaper. Then it's DX11 time

Finally upgrading my P4P800 P4 to a new I7 build, waiting for Amazon to get the Asus Rampage III Formula in stock and I will likely be pulling the trigger on it and a Video Card(which depends on the coming new releases and price drops).

Whenever I get new parts. I'm addicted to new gear, but I'm not rich. Kind of an oxymoron.

I upgraded a few months ago. x4 955, and asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3. It's a great board, no problems. I had terrible luck with a m4a785g (or whatever it was), it came working but would only post from two ram slots some of the time and horrible ram compatibility.

Also I really think you (asus) are skimping on the accesories and packaging, with my a8n-e I got two usb pci brackets to connect to the headers on the board and two ide cables and 4 sata cables and some other goodies and there was foam under the board. Now it seems all we get is maybe two sata cables, 4 if we are lucky, and I haven't seen any usb brackets included except on the really expensive boards and my new mobo came with just cardboard under it.

Already upgraded this year but will continue my upgrade path this year. More ram better cpu's more videocards as well.

Unfortunately there wasn't enough options for me. :( I would upgrade about once a year.. somewhere between 1-3 times a year (3 is sort of pushing it).

Money and time. ;o And because sometimes an upgrade just isn't necessary. :p

Back