Asus latest motherboard packaging terrible? or did I get an open box return?

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone had an Asus mobo lately with terrible packaging? I just got one of the latest P7H55D-M EVO mobos: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=LZtx6p7WKTP77rsk&templete=2 The quality of the package is lousy - everything is really loose, booklets/cd sleeve are folded over at the corners, quick connect has bent pins & the anti-static bag looks 'used' and isn't sealed.

I suspect I need to complain to my retailer for selling open box returns as new, but maybe this is just the quality of Asus packaging lately? I don't expect anything special, but securing things so that delicate pins don't get buckled seems pretty elementary :(

Last edited:
It was in an anti-static bag, not sealed just folded over. The retailer swears it was brand new, however I am not convinced. Inspected it more closely yesterday. There is a dirty thumb print on top of the IO panel and a lot of the metallic blue heatsinks have tiny little chips and marks on them. I am not impressed at all.

Sounds like they sold you an open box return. I just bought an Asus board off Newegg and it was packaged really well, anti-static bag and all was in great shape.
I would definitely be complaining about it. At the very least get some of your money back see how it isn't new.

Yea, I've installed dozens if not hundreds of mobos over the years between work and home. The only time I've seen a big, dirty thumbprint on a backplate was when the board had already been messed with by someone else.

Did you buy it from Newegg? I just send one of those back because the onboard video was not working at all. I was also disappointed when I got mine to see that the box was not sealed by the Asus tamper proof sticker. Although mine was missing my quick connect adapter....

No, I'm in the UK and I used Scan. I'm planning to check with Asus and if they say it's normal I let Scan off the hook, but if Asus say it's been opened before then Scan join OcUK on my permanent shit list.

Definitely not normal packaging, you got an open box item sold as new. Complain to SCAN and get a new, untouched mobo...

Definitely not normal packaging, you got an open box item sold as new. Complain to SCAN and get a new, untouched mobo...

hell yeah. they're trying to give you a used item as new, that's fucking hella illegal. make them give you a NEW board and keep the old one too.

hell yeah. they're trying to give you a used item as new, that's fucking hella illegal. make them give you a NEW board and keep the old one too.

Uh, what? I'm normally pro-consumer but this is stupid. I'm sure it's an honest mistake; I'm aware of the UK's very strong consumer protection laws and I find it hard to believe a supposedly reputable retailer like Scan would do this. Tell them you want to exchange it and I'm sure you'll get a new one.

Unbelievable, I am having shit run of luck. My CPU just arrived - from Aria this time (not Scan)

Soft plastic bag with no protection and it's just been crushed :mad:

Ask for what you paid for, namely a new mainboard, or else your money back (every last cent). If you don't get it, inform the company that you'll file a complaint.

As for the CPU, it's unacceptable that they used such lousy packaging. What are their return options? Try to get your money back, else file a complaint as well.

First stay really nice with them, of course. It's only when they refuse to cooperate that you should inform them about what actions you're going to take :)

I have never purchased a motherboard brand new that was not sealed. Maybe someone else has seen this, but I have gone through quite a few brand new motherboards in my day and not once has the anti static bag been just folded over.

I have never purchased a motherboard brand new that was not sealed. Maybe someone else has seen this, but I have gone through quite a few brand new motherboards in my day and not once has the anti static bag been just folded over.

The last few Gigabyte mainboards I got had the anti-static bag just folded over. Most recent one was an AM3 board for a friend's system. Was a completely new board as far as I could tell. Only with GPUs have I always seen the bag actually sealed.

I have submitted a help request through Asus support page asking them to clarify how the how the packaging should be, and specifically if the anti static bag should be sealed. Not heard back yet, but I will post their answer. For the time being I did check it over closely and there actually isn't any sign of a spot where a sticky seal used to be, I guess every penny saved counts these days and it wouldn't surprise me if they skimped on the packaging for a £99 board - I'm not saying that it's OK, just that it is a trend to have less plastic/polythene packaging on many products these days.

The last Asus borad I received the anti static bag was not "sealed" it was just folded over, however the rest of the packaging was top notch, the bag with the manual, cd's etc was taped shut and the "parts" bag was also sealed. It is possible that you received a board that had been QC'd by Asus before leaving the factory. I'd personally look for a replacement if you feel that you did receive an open box.

The CPU being shipped in a plastic unpadded bag however if freaking ridiculous what moron would do that? I would certainly raise a stink on that one.

Got an Asus AM3 board just yesterday. All parts bags were sealed but the mainboard bag was just folded like you said.

I think that's just the way they are doing it.

Got an Asus AM3 board just yesterday. All parts bags were sealed but the mainboard bag was just folded like you said.

I think that's just the way they are doing it.

This is the way all the Asus boards I have purchased have been. Parts bags sealed and mainboard bag folded. They have been doing it this way for years. No fingerprints however or chipped heatsinks on any of them.

Newegg shipped me a cheap video card in a padded mailer one time and I was pretty pissed about that. I can only imagine getting a CPU like that. I'd call them up and have them send me a new one without ever opening the first.

As for the CPU, it's unacceptable that they used such lousy packaging.

That is pretty crappy packing but unless the plastic tray that holds the CPU is crushed, I'll bet it's OK.

Something fishy has been going on with newegg lately. I ordered two video cards on separate occasions and both appeared to have been opened. Customer service of course acted oblivious to it I wasn't impressed at all by their attitude.

Back