ASUS Introduces a New Gold Color Theme for Z87 Motherboards

i don't care about mobo looks.
i want: 8gb memory module capable;
+sli and crossfire capable;
+pcie 3.0 and two 16x or 1 16x and 8x pcie slots;
+efi bios;
price is no concern.

what is this i heard that you are going to need a newer power supply for the new mobo?

Last edited:
i don't care about mobo looks.
i want: 8gb memory module capable;
+sli and crossfire capable;
+pcie 3.0 and two 16x or 1 16x and 8x pcie slots;
+efi bios;
price is no concern.

I didn';t realize that 8GB module compatibility was a real concern.

Every single one of my boards seem to support it, and I've never specifically searched for it.

Will have to be more careful in the future.

I miss when motherboards were just functional...

abit-bp6.480861.jpg

what is this i heard that you are going to need a newer power supply for the new mobo?

That is due to Haswell using even lower ULV settings than anything previous - current PSUs may have issues going low enough on the volts/amps.

Zarathustra[H];1039888911 said:
I didn';t realize that 8GB module compatibility was a real concern.

Every single one of my boards seem to support it, and I've never specifically searched for it.

Will have to be more careful in the future.

That issue was a concern pre-LGA1156, and especially LGA775.

I haven't even SEEN the issue with LGA1155 - not even with the H6x budget boards that are basically LGA775 G-series replacements.

That is due to Haswell using even lower ULV settings than anything previous - current PSUs may have issues going low enough on the volts/amps.

And really, this is only an issue if you want to use the new C6/C7 sleep states. Otherwise any ATX PSU is fine, and a lot of current PSUs are already Haswell ready, including most newer Corsairs and Seasonics

It looks crap, but at least it's a reason to get motherboard blocks now.

Damnit why are there so few options in the motherboard purchasing environment. It's either Gigabyte or Asus (though Gigabyte aren't quite as good usually and more expensive).

IMO, Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard looks a lot better than the Z87 board posted on the front page. Additionally, the brown PCIe slots certainly don't go well with the gold color.

IMO, Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard looks a lot better than the Z87 board posted on the front page. Additionally, the brown PCIe slots certainly don't go well with the gold color.

The problem is that trying to make gold plastic is tricky. It doesn't ever quite match up with the gold colored metal parts. With expansion cards and RAM modules you probably won't see too much beyond the metal parts of the board anyway.

Current PSUs will work just fine. 12V input to on-board VRM, same as it has always been.

Current PSUs will work just fine. 12V input to on-board VRM, same as it has always been.

The issue is that a lot of current (and especially lower quality) PSU cannot regulate their voltage in no load scenarios, and Haswell drops the 12v2 rail minimum requirement to a tiny .05A. This only matters if you want to use the new C6/C7 sleep states. Turn off this function and any PSU will be fine.

If I remember, C6/C7 were new states where the pc could be asleep, but still check email and such.

Do you have a source?

Can't find it right now, but it was on the HardOCP main news page a while back.

The new C6 and C7 power states require finer control of really low voltages. This is something that almost no current PSU's test for or include in their specs.

They might work, they might not..

As mentioned above though, this is only if you enable C6/C7 power states. With them disabled, any PSU that works for current systems should work for Haswell.

edit:
Here are some details:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/05/01/haswell-psu/1

Processor power is drawn from EPS 12V. Given conversion losses via two VRM circuits, I don't see it being an issue at all. We haven't seen a single problem on our side. I would like to see what Enermax thinks will happen when a load that light is placed on the EPS 12V line. The regulation should stay within ATX thresholds and as such little current is being drawn I fail to see how this would affect the PSU or connected components. C6 & C7 are deeper states that have pre-programmed hold times before the processor can ramp back to normal power state. The hold times are there to ensure VID settles before this happens.

-Raja

Do you have a source?

Good details from Corsair on this one:
http://techreport.com/news/24797/corsair-sheds-light-on-haswell-psu-support-lists-compatible-units

C6/C7 mention here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Require_New_Power_Supply_Units_for_PCs.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-PSU-Power-State,22320.html

http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...h-haswell-seasonic-announce-compatible-units/

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_low_power_states_could_require_a_new_psu.html

From what Corsair is saying the issue happens when:

1. PC is in very low sleep state (ie C6/C7)

2. The load on the 12v low is very low, .05A

3. There is still a substantial load on the 3.3 and 5v rails

5. The PSU is NOT a DC to DC design. Apparently because in DC to DC designs, the 3.3 and 5v rails are still powered by the 12v rail themselves, so when there is a load on the off rail, there will always be a load on the 12v rail.

6. PC comes out of sleep state and hangs.

Last edited:
Makes me think of this:

goldrangerpowerrangerss.jpg

I prefer straight black like Gigabyte's previous generation of boards. The GA-990FXA-UD3 board from their AMD lineup was aesthetically perfect, IMO.

sapphire.jpg

I always hoped that Sapphire would bring out these White boards every since I saw them back in the A64 days..But Alas, right after this eVGA poached 90% of their MB design/engineering team to launch their MB line up..

Back