ASUS Introduces a New Gold Color Theme for Z87 Motherboards

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS announces a new design theme for its lineup of mainstream motherboards based on the upcoming Intel® Z87 chipset. Replacing the previous blue-accented color scheme, a distinctive gold application on custom-designed heatsinks serves to highlight the ASUS philosophy of industry leading motherboard design and continuous innovation.

Elegant color choice makes component matching easier. For nearly a quarter of a century, ASUS has been leading in motherboard design and development while maintaining close ties to the global PC DIY community. Accommodating the needs of system builders the elegant gold color palette works in synergy with black color schemes available in most PC cases. Multi-faceted and multi-tiered, the new gold imbued heatsinks have bigger surface areas for better heat dissipation and improved cooling. As such, ASUS Z87 motherboards are as visually pleasing as they are industry-leading in stability, reliability, and exclusive features.

Could be poop colored for all I care.

Motherboards go inside cases, where I never look at them again.

Forget the aesthetics, they don't matter. Focus on function! :rolleyes:

This would looks nice with some custom gold painting rings on corsair fans.

Yusuf likes

yusuf_amir--article_image.jpg

I would rather have 6-pin for additional board power....than the dinosaur that is 4-pin "Molex", which needs to die.

You can use either the four OR the eight if this is the same as my maximus V extreme. The six is if you have multiple video cards, although I don't use it and I have 3x 7970 in trifire.

Actually looking at it and not the posts.. I do see 2x8... Strange....

Has ASUS improved their support as of late?

If not, then these boards are not worth buying.

Kind of want...? Its different thats for sure. I like it better than the baby blue by a bit though.

Zarathustra[H];1039883758 said:

I laughed at this, I would much rather a funcitonal board over a pretty one any day but its nice to have the best of both.

From what I read and have seen on various websites this morning, the new gold theme is a replacement to the standard blue and black theme that Asus has been using on it's mainstream boards. TUF will still be using a color scheme similar to the one on Z77 Sabertooth and ROG will be red and black. Looking forward to the Z87 Gryphon micro-atx board since it is going to have an optional "armor" kit like the one on the Z77 Sabertooth.

Does the armor even do anything? I remember the old P67 Sabertooth actually ran hotter with the plastic on it.

Did pretty decent according to the remarks Kyle left on the [H] review of the Z77 Sabertooth.

Kyle's remarks said:
Certainly there is little new here and if you are sitting on a fairly new P67 or other Z68 motherboard, there will be little reason for any upgrading unless you are specifically wanting an Ivy Bridge CPU system. We did not use an Ivy Bridge in these tests, because it is still under information embargo by Intel, but I would have to say that the rumors overall have been true.

Thermal Armor has been a concern of many people, in that I have seen people react and say that it acts as a "blanket" making the board components hotter. Well now since ASUS includes the fans needed, that is surely not the case. I personally like the Thermal Armor, certainly you may not. It also now comes with "Dust Denfender" slot inserts that look cool as well. You can check out the whole spec list here at the ASUS site. The Thermal Armor makes for a nice clean look and protects the board from me and my errant screwdrivers and such.

Still the heat issue may worry you, but I can say with confidence that you need not worry. I tried to set the board on fire after a full two days of Torture Testing full CPU, GPU, and RAM loads. After that I incubated the board and set it off on another 48 hours of Torture Testing. I had not one issue, the Sabertooth Z77 ran like a champ even with all the abuse. Surface temps on the Thermal Armor were 150F at the end of incubation. And yes, I ran all the Torture Tests with NO FANS installed in the Thermal Armor. Get some fans in there and you are pretty much bullet proof and you can use the Thermal Radar to keep tabs on the temps without opening the case should you want to do so. ASUS does back this board with a 5 year warranty as well.
I am interested in the armor as a way to customize the looks of the board without voiding the warranty for my wife's new PC. Saw a few examples of painted "armor" installed on the Z77 and it caught my interest, but wasn't available in micro-atx at the time.

Does the armor even do anything? I remember the old P67 Sabertooth actually ran hotter with the plastic on it.

With the fans it can run 1-2c cooler if I recall correctly. The P67 board didn't ship with the fans so it ran hotter as a result.

Zarathustra[H];1039883758 said:

Um.....yeah. So THAT is why there is a whole community dedicated to case modding and side windows. You might not, but alot of people do. Companies are even branding the RAM modules for gods sake!!

It's really hideous, I dunno who sign off on it. At least the RoG boards still look good.

I used to be a Deluxe person, but I'm ebaying my P8Z77-V Deluxe for that Z87 WS. Now I'm waiting to see what Supermicro does.

Damn, two 8 pin and a 6 pin header on the motherboard??!!?!?

Power for those GPUs when you can't reach the normal on-GPU plugs due to tightness-of-space constraints - I've seen this on several Z77 motherboards that are shipping today (and not alone from ASUS, either).

Power for those GPUs when you can't reach the normal on-GPU plugs due to tightness-of-space constraints - I've seen this on several Z77 motherboards that are shipping today (and not alone from ASUS, either).

I know the extra ports on the motherboard are for the PCIe power rail, but I don't think you can use those instead of the plugs on the GPU. I'm pretty sure they are just there to help stabilize the PCIe ports.

Asrock does it better.

Agreed, the gold is still there, but more of just trimmings instead of the main color.

thanks
when is it out for sale and when is the processor out for sale?
I think September-ish maybe? Most of the boards will all launch on Haswell launch day, some might come a bit later.

What I really want is a TUF version of the Maximus Extreme. :)

But I'll happily take a Sabertooth Z87. I love my P67.

Back