ASUS AREZ No More

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you were an NVIDIA GPP denier, we can understand that. Crazy how all these coincidences keep showing up that have nothing to do with NVIDIA seizing the brands of its AIBs with its now defunct GPP program. I do however very much like Legit Review's take on it.

UPDATE: ASUS AREZ Canceled By Fake Twitter Account – Real ASUS Declines To Comment

If you want to make a public announcement and don’t want it to get much attention you do it over the weekend when no one pays attention. It looks like ASUS did just that on Twitter Saturday night at 9:50pm when they announced that they aren’t going to bring the ASUS AREZ line of AMD Radeon graphics cards to market. The ASUS_AREZ Twitter account has just 132 followers, so basically no one saw the news.

Last edited:
LOL 132 followers, yeah thats shows the rebrand isn't that popular, everyone perfers ROG anyway, heck me i have an ROG motherboard, monitor, keyboard and mouse and next graphics card will be ROG, only got the MSI 1070 cause ASUS took the piss in getting their Strix version out to market.

damnit...they should have kept Arez so as to have a distinct line for Radeon products and let Nv have their own "focused" GPU branding this way here Nv can pat themselves on the back if all goes well or whatever.

GPP for sure left a bad taste in my mouth (am sure it did for others as well) but then again most everyhing Nv has done over the last decade or so has left a bad taste in my mouth lol.

I kind of liked the Arez naming...Radeons and Geforce (especially these days) are built quite a bit differently and using a cookie cutter cooling design does neither of them justice
(example MSI Armor for RX cards vs the Geforce cards, for Geforce apprently works pretty well, for Radeons is absolute trash---from what opinions have been)

I can understand that the AIB do not want to spend thousands of $$ custom crafting one off designs for specific models/generations, but if it means that the consumer is "happy"
and there is less failures or RMA BS they have to deal with, figure they would do exactly that, more "love" for the model they are putting a premium price on for a "custom" cooler.

Anyways, was looking forward to seeing what Asus would be doing for Radeons and really get Nv panties in a bunch LMAO..

Asus isn't doing much to hide what we really going on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.20.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 12.20.45 PM.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
What is this GPP thing you speak of.
So if an AIB signed the GPP contract and Nvidia dropped the GPP. I guess that means the contract is now null and void. I thought the rumour mill was that since you had signed a contract you would still have to adhere to the "illegal" GPP program.

damnit...they should have kept Arez so as to have a distinct line for Radeon products and let Nv have their own "focused" GPU branding this way here Nv can pat themselves on the back if all goes well or whatever.

GPP for sure left a bad taste in my mouth (am sure it did for others as well) but then again most everyhing Nv has done over the last decade or so has left a bad taste in my mouth lol.

I kind of liked the Arez naming...Radeons and Geforce (especially these days) are built quite a bit differently and using a cookie cutter cooling design does neither of them justice
(example MSI Armor for RX cards vs the Geforce cards, for Geforce apprently works pretty well, for Radeons is absolute trash---from what opinions have been)

I can understand that the AIB do not want to spend thousands of $$ custom crafting one off designs for specific models/generations, but if it means that the consumer is "happy"
and there is less failures or RMA BS they have to deal with, figure they would do exactly that, more "love" for the model they are putting a premium price on for a "custom" cooler.

Anyways, was looking forward to seeing what Asus would be doing for Radeons and really get Nv panties in a bunch LMAO..

That taste is called Jizz.

Anyway,

Asus has always been that dick of a company with total shit support.

I am surprised they even have a twitter account, let alone 132 followers.

When I think back for a moment, those 132 people are highly likely to be the retard babies from the asus/asrock relationship many moons ago.

Was going to say fuck cancer, but........

Fuck Asus ?

**Shrugs**

Asus has always been that dick of a company with total shit support.

Can't speak about their overall support, but I can speak about a recent issue: I had an ultrabook just out of return period lose its trust relationship with its drive, which they replaced under warranty.

Otherwise I tend to hold EVGA up as the best example of component support.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
The only thing that was remotely clear about the little nVidia said about was is wanting different branding for GeForce cards. So not exactly sure how anyone is denying that.
There are people who saw it and took nV's word on what it was all about, moved on with their life not giving it another thought or care (not because they were a fanboy per-se, just that they were not deeply interested in the matter). Then there are people who took nV's word as gospel and did everything to defend nV in denying the claims of everyone else (mainly Kyle, and the things be brought to light).

You participated in a number of the discussions in the other threads, so I was under the impression you were up to speed on all the shady crap that was going on but wasn't in writing (for obvious reasons).

Whatever the case may be, it may simply be that you're not one of the deniers that Kyle is referring to, which you wouldn't need to worry or be bothered by his comment.

Anyways... when you look back on all the GPP nonsense it really is a bit frightening because there are a lot of parallels to religion and the fanatical followers of them who will go to any length to defend whoever or whatever they place faith in. The reason, then, why it's frightening is --and I am not calling out any religion in particular, simply stating in general, so this is purely an example (in other words, no need for anyone to get offended-- that in instances like the Salem Witch Trial where there was no way to convince the fanatics that these people were not witches and their god was not speaking up saying "whoa there, even if they are witches, who's to say I even want them dead?", well things got very out of hand as we all know. Given that people will SWAT someone purely for fun I can't imagine what lengths a fanboy would go to defend nV :confused:

And just like god in my example, nVidia was willing to clear the air about... well, anything! Which to me, and I'm obviously basing this only on what info we have because who knows what nV told the manufacturers after GPP ended, it seemed to be more of a confirmation that the things these companies feared were actually on the table. It's no different than a mob boss sitting idly by as people discuss things they are in fear that the mob boss will do if you were to upset them in any way, which is obviously done not just to protect the mob boss from having verbally made a threat in front of witnesses but more about the fact they are just sitting there being quiet versus saying to people that what they're worried about won't actually happen. Again, that's just my interpretation of it. :)

You participated in a number of the discussions in the other threads, so I was under the impression you were up to speed on all the shady crap that was going on but wasn't in writing (for obvious reasons).

Whatever GPP was or wasn't or might still be, I didn't think it was a good thing regardless, about the only thing nVidia said publicly about it related branding and wanting GeForce specific brands. So again, I don't see how or why anyone is denying the branding aspect of it, nVidia said that themselves. And that was about it publicly.

Whatever GPP was or wasn't or might still be, I didn't think it was a good thing regardless, about the only thing nVidia said publicly about it related branding and wanting GeForce specific brands. So again, I don't see how or why anyone is denying the branding aspect of it, nVidia said that themselves. And that was about it publicly.
Well the impression I had gotten from Kyle's OP is not that people were denying the branding, but that GPP was forcing companies against their will to do this. Now that GPP is gone, those that really didn't want to, but did so to protect their bottom line, can pull the plug on these new brands.

Personally, I didn't look into AREZ too much so I don't know what sort of appearance they were showing off for these cards, but frankly I wouldn't have been at ALL surprised if these were 100% visually identical to the other product lines but only had new stickers that said AREZ instead of Republic of Gamers or STRIX, etc. Therefore, wouldn't have even been visually distinguishable in the end. (This is more a response to drangonstongue, as he was looking forward to different looking cards specifically for AMD products.)

Well the impression I had gotten from Kyle's OP is not that people were denying the branding, but that GPP was forcing companies against their will to do this. Now that GPP is gone, those that really didn't want to, but did so to protect their bottom line, can pull the plug on these new brands.

If branding were as confusing an issue as nVidia was claiming, partners would have done this long ago.

Someone here, one of the pro case murders, posted a picture from like 2009 or something. In it, they were holding an Asus AREZ card in a fancy metal box. So was AREZ simply revived for GPP and then stowed away again?

Can't speak about their overall support, but I can speak about a recent issue: I had an ultrabook just out of return period lose its trust relationship with its drive, which they replaced under warranty.

Otherwise I tend to hold EVGA up as the best example of component support.

Had problems with a couple of hard drives and a mobo here and there, not alot but enough to piss me off.

Also, when I send them support emails in english, me does not want replies in chinese or whatever the fuck it is they speak, that was via their .co.uk support team.

No shit, I am positive they did it deriberatry to wind me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that was remotely clear about the little nVidia said about was is wanting different branding for GeForce cards. So not exactly sure how anyone is denying that.

You mean the only thing that was clear is they wanted to force their competition to PAY for new branding. lol

Someone here, one of the pro case murders, posted a picture from like 2009 or something. In it, they were holding an Asus AREZ card in a fancy metal box. So was AREZ simply revived for GPP and then stowed away again?
Well, the original branding was ARES. I would guess that ASUS did not intend to use it again and let the trademark lapse.

It is a decent brand name.

Be nice to see some products in it. ... just no segregation.

Yep, they've been around for awhile but we haven't seen one in a number of years. They were all RoG branded though.
Original was dual 5870's
https://hothardware.com/ContentImag...-card-1.jpg.ashx?maxwidth=1170&maxheight=1170
The ARES II was Dual 7870's (I think full 7870's instead of those used on the 7970)
http://www.overclex.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/asus_ares2_photo4.jpg
And the ARES III was Dual 290X
http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/AresIII_17.jpg

There was also a MARS, with Dual GTX285 (basically, a GTX295)
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/GPU/ASUS-ARES/ASUS ARES-26.jpg
and MARS II with Dual 580s
https://iczc.cz/brfhgils9gcnt9nu28888f3s6e_1/obrazek
and MARS III with dual 680s heh
http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MARS-III-7.jpg

What kills me about GPP was that Nvidia was BLATANTLY trying to capitalize on the brand names THAT OTHER COMPANIES ESTABLISHED! Nvidia didn't start "ROG", they didn't start "Aorus", or any other of a dozen well known brands established to attract gamer's dollars! No, they just wanted to HIJACK those established brand names and FORCE these companies to create new UNKNOWN brands for the competitors hardware! Even IF they didn't use strongarm tactics with "allocation" and pricing to get their way with the manufactures, this STILL stank to high heaven!

Bottom line...Nvidia's new "GTX 1180" or whatever they will call it could be TWICE as powerful as the Vega 64...and I will STILL not be buying an Nvidia card in my next system. SCREW THEM! I refuse to support a company with such a low ethical standard. My money is going to AMD!

What kills me about GPP was that Nvidia was BLATANTLY trying to capitalize on the brand names THAT OTHER COMPANIES ESTABLISHED! Nvidia didn't start "ROG", they didn't start "Aorus", or any other of a dozen well known brands established to attract gamer's dollars! No, they just wanted to HIJACK those established brand names and FORCE these companies to create new UNKNOWN brands for the competitors hardware! Even IF they didn't use strongarm tactics with "allocation" and pricing to get their way with the manufactures, this STILL stank to high heaven!

Bottom line...Nvidia's new "GTX 1180" or whatever they will call it could be TWICE as powerful as the Vega 64...and I will STILL not be buying an Nvidia card in my next system. SCREW THEM! I refuse to support a company with such a low ethical standard. My money is going to AMD!
Since I know SO few will be speaking with their wallet and continue to buy nV after all of this simply because "they're the fastest", it's seriously nice to see when someone does speak up that they won't be buying nV anymore, just on principal. (y)

They've been doing this sort of stuff for years and while I've actively rejected their products (and Intel for the same reason), and suggested AMD to people, I've never hidden their dominance performance wise. It's going to be hard to compact the entirety of GPP into a succinct message that will properly convey to non tech people why they shouldn't give them their money, either.

As sad as it is to say, we honestly need to treat nVidia like a 3 year old :\ Just like a 3 year old, if you don't put your foot down to stop them from doing something, to stop throwing a temper tantrum... if you continue to let them do those things they'll never think they're doing anything wrong and continue doing it forever because they've always gotten away with it.

If you read Kyle's article, GPP wanted the gaming lines exclusively tied to nvidia. What nvidia said publicly was damage control. Republic of Gamers (ROG) for instance is a premium ASUS brand. Nvidia didn't want their own brand, they wanted all existing gaming lines of all brands to host only their chips and not AMD. Did they expressly forbid people from selling AMD? No, but moving to a new non-gamer brand (it is just a graphics card now) was meant to hurt AMD.

Uninformed mom getting Timmy a 'gaming' card will get a ROG 1050 GTX, and the non-gaming AREZ RX 580 will sit on the shelf. Not that they are in the same price bracket, but not being a 'gaming' line will remove it from the uninformed consumer's list. Far more of them out there than [H] readers.

Because, you know, clarity.

Kyle is your website brand now aligned exclusively with AMD? What are you going to do about nVidia? Are they raking you over the coals?

Kyle is your website brand now aligned exclusively with AMD? What are you going to do about nVidia? Are they raking you over the coals?
I have been making arrangements for future NVIDIA coverage. About all I can tell you. It did not work out in Intel's favor to cut me off years ago. We will see how this works out.

I built my new rig after this GPP bullshit came out. All AMD inside. May be a while before I buy another Nvidia card, may be never....

Also notice no Asus, MSI or Gigabyte...

"The AREZ Twitter account that has generated this information is fake and ASUS is currently in the process of having this account removed from Twitter. ASUS will continue to sell the AREZ graphics cards."

Pretty sure it's fake news and our human nature of wanting to believe bit everyone in the butt.

Now just to see if MSI abandons whatever they were planning with whatever they were planning to be compliant.

Ultimately, though, I feel that NV is just continuing to shoot themselves in the foot with flooding the market with so many variations using the same naming schemes. Just read yesterday about another kind of 1050 for mining.

I'm probably wrong on this but here's a list off the top of my head: 1030, 1050, 1050(mining edition), 1050TI, 1060(3GB), 1060(6GB), 1070, 1070(TI), 1080, 1080(vram v.2 edition), 1080TI, 1080TI(vram v.2 edition).

Please feel free to add to this ridiculous list but aside from all the ethical reasons that GPP shouldn't exist it does seem like most consumers are doomed just in trying to navigate NV's product line. Instead trying to strong arm the industry they really need to develop proper marketing to separate this increasingly confusing consumer line. Geforce Pascal has become a mess, which clock, which die, which memory controller, how much vram, which speed vram, which combination of these. It's nice to have choices but this is a bit much.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back