ASUS 7970 DirectCU II available now

Use gpu-z .5.8 and on the top left corner click, then scroll down for ASCI scores, then pick the other card and repeat :)

Just to clarify because it was confounding me for an extra 10 minutes, you click in the area that says GPU-Z at the very top. Not the top of the "main" area of the app.

based on [H]'s numbers, the DCII is cooler. I have no way to measure sound levels, but since my DCII is extremely quiet, i'd say at worst it's a wash, can't imagine Gigabyte's card being quieter.

[H] Gigabyte test
Stock @ Load
67c @ 34% fan

My DCII
stock @ load
65c @ 29% fan speed

Of course, many different variables so this is no way proof positive, I do have a cold office. 72F. Not sure about how the [H] torture labs are setup.
Roughly what is your ambient temps?

My DCII load is much higher. It's at about 55-65% at 60c. I have my fan speeds on custom but still it shouldn't be that much different. I'm thinking I need to redo my TIM. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with mine since the fan noise is much more noisey compared to my past DCII 6970

I'm happy with my OC for now. It's currently at 1125Mhz without any extra voltage. My ASCI is 70%

So I picked this card up earlier today, can anyone advise what their VRM temps seem to idle and load at?
Seems high to me as I swear my XFX BEDD's VRMs were quite a bit lower.

I really think the ASIC score is pretty meaningless because I went from an XFX BEDD that had a score of 69% to an Asus DirectCUII Top edition that has a score of 65% and these are supposed to have binned cores.

I really think the ASIC score is pretty meaningless because I went from an XFX BEDD that had a score of 69% to an Asus DirectCUII Top edition that has a score of 65% and these are supposed to have binned cores.

There is no binned chip as far as I know...

The ASIC reflect to your OC ability, at least based on my experience is pretty accurate to see how much voltage and how much it can OC in general. Though there are few exception.

So higher asic the less voltage required but pretty much the same ceiling as the rest?
It seems that way. My 580 had a very low VID and it ran cool. Although I still want to see if a low percentage ASIC will have a higher ceiling

EK needs to release there block for this card already :p

Can an owner of this card please confirm what sort of VRM temps you're saying on a heavy load, such as BF3 or Metro 2033?
My VRMs are hitting just under 100C when gaming with BF3 at 2560x1440 w/ultra settings and 2xSSAA, high FXAA. The core is fine at under 70C, but the VRMs seem way too high to me. Wondering if I have a defective card or if the cooler is not seated properly.
I've got the card clocked at 1175MHz/1700MHz with stock voltage of 1175mV so nothing too excessive IMHO.

Can an owner of this card please confirm what sort of VRM temps you're saying on a heavy load, such as BF3 or Metro 2033?
My VRMs are hitting just under 100C when gaming with BF3 at 2560x1440 w/ultra settings and 2xSSAA, high FXAA. The core is fine at under 70C, but the VRMs seem way too high to me. Wondering if I have a defective card or if the cooler is not seated properly.
I've got the card clocked at 1175MHz/1700MHz with stock voltage of 1175mV so nothing too excessive IMHO.
Where do you find the VRM temps? I can run my card at the same resolution as you to check whats my temp

Were you running the game in ultra with SSAA on?
Also what are your clocks on the Asus card?

Thanks!

Were you running the game in ultra with SSAA on?
Also what are your clocks on the Asus card?

Thanks!
I actually just did heaven benchmark. It probably would of went up higher because I only did it for 5-10 minutes.

Right now I have it set at 1125 on stock voltage

I actually just did heaven benchmark. It probably would of went up higher because I only did it for 5-10 minutes.

Right now I have it set at 1125 on stock voltage

Hmm, I wonder if Heaven taxes the GPU as much as BF3 with SSAA does?
Can you give me the settings you used for Heaven? Guess I'll do the same and see what mine does at 1125 w/stock volts.

Thanks again!

Hmm, I wonder if Heaven taxes the GPU as much as BF3 with SSAA does?
Can you give me the settings you used for Heaven? Guess I'll do the same and see what mine does at 1125 w/stock volts.

Thanks again!
I did everything maxed out with 2560x1440. If anything I would think heaven would be more taxing since it always stays at 99% usage.

Thanks again, guess I'll try this out tonight and see what sort of VRM temps I get.
I'm also going to contact Asus, if they state the temps are safe, guess I'll stick with it and keep pushing the card.

How did you measure your VRM temps? You got a tool for it or the ASUS DCII actually has more than one temp sensor on its card? (I'm asking cause my XFX HD5870 had 3 sensors but now on my XFX 7970 it seems I only have 1, which means there is no way I can accurately measure the VRM temps).

Asus GPU tweak has Power Temperature reading, Aida64 also has one it calls VRM Temps.

I did everything maxed out with 2560x1440. If anything I would think heaven would be more taxing since it always stays at 99% usage.

Hanakuso, one more q, what is your ASIC% or more importantly, your default voltage?
Thanks!

Last edited:
i just ran heaven bench with mine ( 1125/1575)
vrm temp went up to 100c while core stayed at 65~67c

Thanks PeeWeePee, that sounds like my card.
65-67C on the core, while VRMs hit 99C or so.
Maybe it's normal, and just dependent on the core voltage, what is your default core voltage?

Thanks PeeWeePee, that sounds like my card.
65-67C on the core, while VRMs hit 99C or so.
Maybe it's normal, and just dependent on the core voltage, what is your default core voltage?

not sure but it hovers around 1.08 in gpu teak while running heaven

Asus GPU tweak has Power Temperature reading, Aida64 also has one it calls VRM Temps.
Oh you were right about AIDA64!

Well my XFX 7970BEDD has VRM temp of 59-62c when the core is at 58-60c at 50-60% fan speed. I tested that on Skyrim for about 10mins with HD addons that take the RAM use to 2.2GB. Seems like all the rumors about the DD cooler where wrong, or my sensor is broken. I will make extensive testing to investigate the VRM temps under load, cant wait to see results especially with all the flaming this cooler has had till now, then I may make a new thread.

Edit: ok so actually running furmark 1680x1050 gave me after 5mins 69c on GPU and 78c on VRM. In fullscreen 1900x1200 I get 74c on GPU (I know that from MSI AB) but ofcourse I cant see the VRM temps "live" from AIDA64.

Last edited:
Oh you were right about AIDA64!

Well my XFX 7970BEDD has VRM temp of 59-62c when the core is at 58-60c at 50-60% fan speed. I tested that on Skyrim for about 10mins with HD addons that take the RAM use to 2.2GB. Seems like all the rumors about the DD cooler where wrong, or my sensor is broken. I will make extensive testing to investigate the VRM temps under load, cant wait to see results especially with all the flaming this cooler has had till now, then I may make a new thread.

Edit: ok so actually running furmark 1680x1050 gave me after 5mins 69c on GPU and 78c on VRM. In fullscreen 1900x1200 I get 74c on GPU (I know that from MSI AB) but ofcourse I cant see the VRM temps "live" from AIDA64.

What I do is I enable logging in aida64 and then check the max VRM temp recorded after playing or benching, just make sure the VRMs are one of the options enabled.
BTW, what are you running your clocks at and what is your default voltage?

What I do is I enable logging in aida64 and then check the max VRM temp recorded after playing or benching, just make sure the VRMs are one of the options enabled.
BTW, what are you running your clocks at and what is your default voltage?

So at 1000/1425 @ 1.112v, 1900x1200 fullscreen furmark, fans at 65% (which starts to get loud) I get 73-74c on GPU and 87c VRM. Kept furmark on for about 5mins, the temps are stable after the 2nd minute. During everyday gaming I get around 50-60c GPU temps so the VRMs cant be really high. The whole story comes to validate my thoughts that the french website that flamed the XFX 7970BEDD for having VRM temp near to 110c were trolling.

Hanakuso, one more q, what is your ASIC% or more importantly, your default voltage?
Thanks!

Mine is 70% and the voltage is about 1.08

So at 1000/1425 @ 1.112v, 1900x1200 fullscreen furmark, fans at 65% (which starts to get loud) I get 73-74c on GPU and 87c VRM. Kept furmark on for about 5mins, the temps are stable after the 2nd minute. During everyday gaming I get around 50-60c GPU temps so the VRMs cant be really high. The whole story comes to validate my thoughts that the french website that flamed the XFX 7970BEDD for having VRM temp near to 110c were trolling.

I think the XFX VRM temp was measured off the back of the PCB which would mean the VRMs on the other side were much hotter. Asus has custom PCB with more VRMs to spread the heat out. Either way, I'm pretty sure the VRMs are ok at that temp.

I think the XFX VRM temp was measured off the back of the PCB which would mean the VRMs on the other side were much hotter. Asus has custom PCB with more VRMs to spread the heat out. Either way, I'm pretty sure the VRMs are ok at that temp.

Supposedly were measured using a infrared spectrometer.

Anyone here crossfire this card with a reference card? I've got one of them on order and I was thinking of using two, but using a reference card would certainly save me some space (and cash). What do you think?

Also, any recommendations for which manuf. to go with? HIS, Powercolor, Sapphire? They all seem to be about the same price, but I was hoping to get feedback on OC trends for one or the other.

So jealous of those of you who received one already, btw. ;)

Back