ASUS 7970 DirectCU II available now

In my experience the estimated date means absolutely nothing. As I said, I ordered on Feb 4 (a day before you did) and my arrival date was estimated at March 2 to March 12. I also have prime shipping, so the two day shipping time should be built into that.

Further, that doesn't align with the current estimate on the website of "1 to 3 weeks", which would make it Feb 27 to March 12 (again, assuming 2 day shipping transit time).

Exactly. I guess we just have to wait and see.

On another note, I contacted Amazon regarding the price again today, and after two previous representatives saying no, I got one that changed the price easily and quickly. I don't know if it's just the luck of the draw or my complaining somehow changed something.

Exactly. I guess we just have to wait and see.

On another note, I contacted Amazon regarding the price again today, and after two previous representatives saying no, I got one that changed the price easily and quickly. I don't know if it's just the luck of the draw or my complaining somehow changed something.
It does seem like luck of the draw. I've had better luck in the past with doing the email a rep or calling in compared to live chats

it's odd that there are no full reviews yet

i would not think EK would be making a special waterblock if it was going to be that rare of a item

As an Aussie I would've killed to pay the price you are all crying over. Bare minimum without postage/surcharge over here is $769 dollars, I don't regret my purchase but all up I sunk $798 for one card.

Can't wait to test it out on Tuesday.

As an Aussie I would've killed to pay the price you are all crying over. Bare minimum without postage/surcharge over here is $769 dollars, I don't regret my purchase but all up I sunk $798 for one card.

Good luck to us both having gotten in soon enough to get stock placed my order ~5:30 Friday
Cost me $812 all up with post insurance and 2% credit card fee much the same price as my gtx480 at release two years ago
Who knows maybe i will even be able to find one of these secondhand in a few months time for $300 like with the gtx480

Hopefully it wont take me much more than a week to get it on water obtaining a copper shiv to go between the core and the block could take a bit then on goes the mcw60 or ek vga hf
One 7970 will be a tad slower than two gtx480 at 900mhz but it should be a nice card if it overclocks well

would it cost anything extra to have it shipped to you from the states? Honestly, to help save you some cash I wouldnt mind buying it here and sending it your way. As long as you cover shipping.

Did you get it off PCCG? Let us know how it goes!

Also it's a real disappointment that Amazon don't ship either the Gigabyte 7970 OC or the ASUS DirectCU II to Australia :(. They ship just about every other 7970 though!!

To those who are familiar with online US PC stores, is there any good (and preferably reasonably priced) website that ships items to Australia?

Thanks

would it cost anything extra to have it shipped to you from the states? Honestly, to help save you some cash I wouldnt mind buying it here and sending it your way. As long as you cover shipping.

That would probably work out a good chunk cheaper, the shipping couldn't really be more than 70 odd bucks.

I'm trying to make myself not buy one of these things to replace my 5870's, so damn sick of Eyefinity/Crossfire drama's. Just don't get enough grunt from a single 5870 to run games how I like at 5760x1200. But I'll keep hanging out for the Nvidia line up and buy up then.

Good luck to us both having gotten in soon enough to get stock placed my order ~5:30 Friday
Cost me $812 all up with post insurance and 2% credit card fee much the same price as my gtx480 at release two years ago
Who knows maybe i will even be able to find one of these secondhand in a few months time for $300 like with the gtx480

Hopefully it wont take me much more than a week to get it on water obtaining a copper shiv to go between the core and the block could take a bit then on goes the mcw60 or ek vga hf
One 7970 will be a tad slower than two gtx480 at 900mhz but it should be a nice card if it overclocks well

Mine was packaged and sent this very morning :D Hopefully the same story with yours!

I can see it being $100-$150 cheaper, but from what I can tell aren't they sold out in the US? Not to mention it would take a lot longer to get to me, I'm a sucker for a quick delivery. :p

Did you get it off PCCG? Let us know how it goes!

Also it's a real disappointment that Amazon don't ship either the Gigabyte 7970 OC or the ASUS DirectCU II to Australia :(. They ship just about every other 7970 though!!

To those who are familiar with online US PC stores, is there any good (and preferably reasonably priced) website that ships items to Australia?

Thanks

Yup, got it from PCCG, love em. As soon as it arrives I'll see what she can do and post up some impressions/results!

Mine was packaged and sent this very morning :D Hopefully the same story with yours!

Yup, got it from PCCG, love em. As soon as it arrives I'll see what she can do and post up some impressions/results!

yep same here pccg sent it off this morning :)
il look forward to comparing results

Does anyone know the max operation temperature (according to specification) of the DC2 VRMs? Mine get really hot >100C.

Also, do you guys think that a quality 580W power supply is enough for an overclocked [email protected] Ghz and a 7970@1200Mhz with 1.2v ?

Thanks!

Thanks! I tried to use an additional fan to create some more airflow for the VRMs but the card's frame makes it pretty difficult since it's quite closed.

anyone know if you can use a display port to hdmi adapter to hook up to a home theater for audio output as well?

edit: saw included accessories list and it mentions a DVI to HDMI adapter.. that doesnt pass audio does it?

Last edited:
This wait is getting bad... I'm missing my reference 7970 let's hope Amazon gets these out soon!

No, the DVI to HDMI adapter doesn't transfer audio. Best option is to use some optical link if available.

Figured out my problem, make sure you don't download the suggested drivers from the website, it points you towards the horrible 12.2 when you should be grabbing RC11 (Google that and it'll get you a download link).

After grabbing RC11 the GPU Tweak tool worked, but my god is it horrible, MSI Afterburner ahoy!

When I connected my LCD TV to the 2nd DVI port, I actually got a Windows message saying that I need to use a separate audio connection since audio won't be supported through that link. Maybe there is some other way but I wouldn't know since I always had my audio connected with a separate cable.

The Display ports should support that feature but then you need to buy an extra adapter since it's not included.

Based on what I gathered on the Asus website, I thought it had to be on the 1 DVI port to send audio, but I could be wrong.

Based on what I gathered on the Asus website, I thought it had to be on the 1 DVI port to send audio, but I could be wrong.

anyone know for sure? this is a deal breaker for my purchase of this card

need to output video/audio to a tv next to my computer for movies.. would a display port to hdmi work instead?

Are these VRM temps something to be concerned with? They appear much higher than the stock. Shouldn't that be cause for concern?

Are these VRM temps something to be concerned with? They appear much higher than the stock. Shouldn't that be cause for concern?
no certainty. VRMs should be able to handle it but I'm worried about all that heat irradiated to other components.

It would be nice if that is why they are taking so long to come in stock - the Russian review mentioned they thought the card was going to be revised.

One thing i noticed is, that my DC2T backplate doesn't have the rectangular whole where the VRMs are located on the PCB. On the product photo on the box, there is a whole but my backplate doesn't have it. When I look at the VRMs temperatures, I think I would prefer a backplate with a whole for a little more ventilation.

One thing i noticed is, that my DC2T backplate doesn't have the rectangular whole where the VRMs are located on the PCB. On the product photo on the box, there is a whole but my backplate doesn't have it. When I look at the VRMs temperatures, I think I would prefer a backplate with a whole for a little more ventilation.

well, it might be better to have a large solid piece of metal which absorbs heat on one side (i.e. from the PCB) and dissipates on the other through the large surface area.

mine's got hole
and my vrm temps are high as other ppl

well if Amazon ever ships my two i ordered on the 5th and 10th, and i have got no updates as to when :mad:

but they will get EK waterblocks after a 30 to 60 days test, that should cool the VRMs off

Back