Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

I have had the game since last Thursday. I torrented it to see if it was a shit show console port like AC3. For the most part it ran ok but I did get some stuttering. I have purchased the game as well. What's funny is the torrent download for one of the rips is only 6GB compared to what 24GB from U-play.

The latest Nvidia drivers helped a lot, SLI scales absolutely beautifully now. The 6GB one uncompressed to 14GB though and I don't think it included all the DLC. Or maybe the UPlay one has hi res texutres included for hi resolution?

We shall find out. :) I want my key today!! :p

I have had the game since last Thursday. I torrented it to see if it was a shit show console port like AC3. For the most part it ran ok but I did get some stuttering. I have purchased the game as well. What's funny is the torrent download for one of the rips is only 6GB compared to what 24GB from U-play.

Where did it keep your savegame if you bothered importing it after purchasing?

$79.99 wtf? There has never been a game worth that much at launch. Especially from Rootbsoft. What a load of horse shit.

Where did it keep your savegame if you bothered importing it after purchasing?

I haven't downloaded it yet from U-Play because I am switching to Windows 8.1 for BF4 in a desperate attempt to fix the crashing issues I am having in that game.

I started off with pretty poor performance. 30 to 40 fps all maxed. Th rn i realised this mornings driver update disabled sli. With that corrected, im getting a smooth 60fps. Framerate appears capped at 60. Game is really good looking though

$79.99 wtf? There has never been a game worth that much at launch. Especially from Rootbsoft. What a load of horse shit.

Calm down. It's $60 (and cheaper depending where you shop) just like any other game. It is just that there are more expensive bundles w/ DLC and bonus loot included..

I really dont care if you bought or not. What you are doing here is pirating!!!

He's just getting into character for AC4.

Pure pwn.

slickmitch said:

Head over to the for sale forum, and grab it for $20. Don't spend $60 on it when there are people with keys from recently purchased graphics cards that are selling it for pennies...

I got the gold edition after trying it out. Money well spent IMO, they earned it on this one. I've not played an AC game since AC2 and this is - quite simply - the best game I have played in years. I don't know if it's the best AC game for guys that really like that genre, but the open world concept is just really well done and it's probably the best pirate themed game ever made period.

For those with the Gold Edition (at least the Ubisoft version. I purchased from GreenManGaming), a little tip - there are actually 2 game keys, not just one! One will save "Assassin's Creed IV Gold Edition" when you register it and the other will be the "Season Pass"! Just to let you know, so you're not missing on content! Be sure to register both in UPlay!

Also, this morning it shows nearly all the DLCs that are not "time saver" as owned (ie Kraken ship, Crusader and Florentine pack etc.. are shown as owned on Uplay, as is the Season Pass now that I've registered it.). Clicking buy for theTime Saver packs doesn't yet give info about them, not does it appear you can actually buy as of yet. Also, make sure you log into ACInitiates, especially if you've played all the games - you'll get a lot of bonus stuff.

Strangely though, AC Initiates shows my ACIII as being 99% complete, not 100. I'll have to look into that...

I got the gold edition after trying it out. Money well spent IMO, they earned it on this one. I've not played an AC game since AC2 and this is - quite simply - the best game I have played in years. I don't know if it's the best AC game for guys that really like that genre, but the open world concept is just really well done and it's probably the best pirate themed game ever made period.

I remember feeling this overwhelming love and excitement over Skyrim when it first came out. After a week I had discovered how many different areas the game sucked at. Hopefully this game keeps going strong after people have bit into it.

The AC initates thing is broken it seems, I can login and it syncs up my AC games and I get like 8k EXP but I don't level up and am still level 1 with 500xp.

So the AC Initiates feature allows you to gain experience from the other AC games that are tied in with Uplay?

Annoying.. The Assassins Creed Companion doesn't work on Android 4.4.. The SDK was updated to the latest API weeks ago.. No reason this shouldn't be updated to work with the latest version of the operating system.. I was looking forward to using my Nexus 10 along side this game.

Got keys from GMG, registered in uplay and using that client instead. Just a 20x speed difference after all :-o

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Speed tanked after a while... and then it took off again. I just need 30min at 10MB/s! c'mon.

zj3eweF.jpg

Last edited:
Dumb question: For controls, what does the "up arrow" stand for on the keyboard? It's not the real up arrow or the W button, either. ;) Shift key?

Dumb question: For controls, what does the "up arrow" stand for on the keyboard? It's not the real up arrow or the W button, either. ;) Shift key?

I'm playing with a 360 pad, but I'm guessing shift. There's been other games where shift has been an arrow symbol. I was all WTF WHYYY until I actually looked at the shift key on my keyboard :p

EDIT: Ninja'd. My e-mail tells no lies ;)

I haven't downloaded it yet from U-Play because I am switching to Windows 8.1 for BF4 in a desperate attempt to fix the crashing issues I am having in that game.

Keep us/me posted on this, I am crashing quite a bit in BF4 also on Win7 Pro. Really takes the fun out of it.

So far this is damned impressive. The eye candy maxed out is very noticeable and appreciable. Gameplay feels great. AC fans: This might be our GOTY right here. It certainly going to be on the shortlist at least for me.

So far this is damned impressive. The eye candy maxed out is very noticeable and appreciable. Gameplay feels great. AC fans: This might be our GOTY right here. It certainly going to be on the shortlist at least for me.

What card are you running for max, and what are your settings? Looking for bang for the buck on my settings and tired of tinkering, lol.

I've never used Uplay before, will this just show up on its own in my client today?

Of note, just like with Assassin's creed 3 if you are running this on a 580 and are getting your display driver stopped working (the game throws you to desktop and you can't reopen the window and have to ctrl/alt/del it out) you have to bump your voltage up, 1100 works for me just like with AC3.

I've never used Uplay before, will this just show up on its own in my client today?

If you have a key and input it into the uplay client it will show up and you can download it directly through uplay.

If you have a key and input it into the uplay client it will show up and you can download it directly through uplay.

I believe I already put in my key before it released, but it never showed, haven't gotten the chance to look today yet.

What card are you running for max, and what are your settings? Looking for bang for the buck on my settings and tired of tinkering, lol.

Fully maxed out at 1920x1200 with a GTX 780. FRAPS saying my FPS floats around 40ish which is fine for me on a game like this. I still need to figure out the various AA settings, though. They're all here. FXAA, TLAA, MSAA...everything.

I really don't think you need that kind of muscle to max this game out at 1080p or where I'm at.

I can't wait to try this out on my SLI'd 670 rig when I get home. How are all the "special nVidia features"?

I can't wait to try this out on my SLI'd 670 rig when I get home. How are all the "special nVidia features"?

Looking good. GPU menu is fairly comprehensive.

I just took my AA down to FXAA and that bought me at least 10 fps easily with IMHO so far negligible eye candy difference.

For anyone having crashing problems on Windows 8.1 - setting the game to always run as administrator on fixed them for me.

I wanted to stay as close to 60 FPS as possible at all times. These are my settings:

edit - 2560x1600
Environment: very high
Texture: high
AA: FXAA - SMAA looks worse to me and runs slow, MSAA or TXAA drops frames below what I find acceptable, especially in fights
Shadows: soft shadows medium
Reflections: normal (nvidia is recommending this setting as they say you can't tell the difference)
Motion: off
AO: HBAO+ high - this makes one of the biggest differences in image quality
God rays: low
Volumetric fog: on
vsync: on

I am running dual 680s at stock evga superclock speeds. Make sure you get the latest driver from today - it doubled my frame rate with SLI.

I've tried my CPU as slow as 3.5 and as fast as 5.0 and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Last edited:

Just wait.. It's getting even more soon. :)

If you played Batman: Arkham Origins, or checked out our Batman: Arkham Origins Graphics & Performance Guide, you’ll have seen the game-changing benefits our new GPU-accelerated PhysX APEX Particle system brought to the Batman prequel. In the not too distant future, an Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag game update will introduce APEX Particles that are manipulated by external forces such as gravity, wind, character movement, and explosions, courtesy of the APEX Turbulence system.

As in Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassin’s Creed IV’s APEX Particles will be further enhanced by the addition of Particle Shadow Mapping (PSM), which enables select particle effects to cast shadows, and self-shadow one another. This is particularly beneficial for thick, heavy smoke effects, such as Kenway’s smoke bomb, instantly emphasizing the density of the effect to the viewer, further increasing image quality.

For anyone having crashing problems on Windows 8.1 - setting the game to always run as administrator on fixed them for me.

I wanted to stay as close to 60 FPS as possible at all times. These are my settings:

Environment: very high
Texture: high
AA: FXAA (SMAA looks worse to me and also runs slower)
Shadows: soft shadows medium
Reflections: normal (nvidia is recommending this setting as they say you can't tell the difference)
Motion: off
AO: HBAO+ high - this makes one of the biggest differences in image quality
God rays: low
Volumetric fog: on
vsync: on

I am running dual 680s at stock evga superclock speeds. Make sure you get the latest driver from today - it doubled my frame rate with SLI.

I've tried my CPU as slow as 3.5 and as fast as 5.0 and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Is AC4 really that hungry? Can't run everything maxed @1080p with 680 SLI?

Is AC4 really that hungry? Can't run everything maxed @1080p with 680 SLI?

You can. I do. MSAA 4X is about the limit with traditional AA. After that I start nipping at the 2GB Vram wall and there are noticeable hiccups because of it. SLI scales beautifully w/ the latest driver set.

Fully maxed out at 1920x1200 with a GTX 780. FRAPS saying my FPS floats around 40ish which is fine for me on a game like this. I still need to figure out the various AA settings, though. They're all here. FXAA, TLAA, MSAA...everything.

I really don't think you need that kind of muscle to max this game out at 1080p or where I'm at.

Very cool, I'm expecting the same kind of performance, though I'll definitely drop down to FXAA to be able to do 1440P. Have you tried TXAA?

Very cool, I'm expecting the same kind of performance, though I'll definitely drop down to FXAA to be able to do 1440P. Have you tried TXAA?

Yup. I took a little light performance hit there and am still experimenting.

I thought AC3 was a good looking game but this is next level all the way. Gorgeous.

Thankfully it has the gameplay to match. This is going to steal a LOT of my free time.

Is the TXAA a separate option?

You get an AA selector and that's one of the choices.

Yup. I took a little light performance hit there and am still experimenting.

I thought AC3 was a good looking game but this is next level all the way. Gorgeous.

Thankfully it has the gameplay to match. This is going to steal a LOT of my free time.

You get an AA selector and that's one of the choices.

TXAA still worth it over FXAA, generally?

Back