Assasin's Creed Performance

I am very impressed at the performance-per-visuals of the game. Considering the huge draw distance, high number of NPCs and overall graphics level of the game it runs very well performance wise, especially for a console port.

The control scheme takes a bit to get accustomed to, but once you do you see why its that way and it works fine. The gameplay, even though repetitive is quite fun, the game definitely was worth picking up.

regarding the controls, I use the Xbox360 controller for Windows, and am very pleased with it. I just couldn't get the KB&M scheme down, and I am too lazy to re-map them.

regarding the controls, I use the Xbox360 controller for Windows, and am very pleased with it. I just couldn't get the KB&M scheme down, and I am too lazy to re-map them.

I'm about to try that myself. I just didn't have a controller upstairs where I was trying out the game last night. I finally got used to the controls (defaults,) but they were still a little clunky. I think if I tweaked a few it would be great, but since it's third person, I'll probably use a 360 pad.

I'm about to try that myself. I just didn't have a controller upstairs where I was trying out the game last night. I finally got used to the controls (defaults,) but they were still a little clunky. I think if I tweaked a few it would be great, but since it's third person, I'll probably use a 360 pad.
The reason the 360 controller works so well is the right half. I bound the high/low profile button to the right shoulder, and then the four colored buttons to the main 4 options. Having to hit two buttons at the same time (high prof. plus assasinate, for example) PLUS looking and moving is best for a gamepad.

Running the game 1680x1050 on my current rig, the framerates are not high at all but playable for me. Everything maxed out except for multisampling.

Modred189 is totally right about using the 360 pad due to the multiple simultaneous imput. I haven't even tried using the mouse/keyboard yet and don't think I want to. I immediately set up the game to use the gamepad.

I'm playing on my notebook at 1280x720 @75hz with graphics set at 2/4, details at 3/4, and post processing at 1 with medium crowd density and average about 30 FPS dipping into low twenties occasionally but I never notice it. It isn't stunning to look at (like the flipbook thread) but is very beautiful and I'd say better than PS2 visuals which I can live with. On a side note, I'm reminded of Shadow of the Colossus a lot when I ride through the Kingdom and while scaling buildings.

I finally got Assassin's Creed working on my computer the way I want it. I have a 21 inch Cornerstone P1500 CRT Professional Grade Monitor. I have mine set at 1280X1024, 3x multisampling, VSync on, and everything else maxed. I get a steady 45fps. This game is Beautiful.

If I didnt spend $550 on tires, $400 on a automatic pool cleaner, and $4500 on Deck materials in the last two weeks, i would go buy me a 24 or 26 inch LCD monitor and really enjoy this game....

The reason the 360 controller works so well is the right half. I bound the high/low profile button to the right shoulder, and then the four colored buttons to the main 4 options. Having to hit two buttons at the same time (high prof. plus assasinate, for example) PLUS looking and moving is best for a gamepad.

I bought a Zboard when the first came out, and had to buy a new one recently. I spent 30 minutes setting it up, and the game is way easier to play using the keyboard and mouse now. I am very happy with that control config now.

I will be trying a Nostromo speed pad as well to see how that works...

Keyboard, 5 button mouse combo works best for me.

I didn't get on with a gamepad partly due to the game mapping the buttons incorrectly, it would call button 6 button 7. I tried remapping but it still gets the numbering wrong.

The look around function with the analogue gamepad stick requires way too much ambidextrous skill, the game is much more fluid with a mouse ;)

Just curious folks, I own a 360 (on a low-def TV) so would prefer to play Assasin's Creed on my PC.

Both of my 360's pads are wireless, I understand that MS sell a wireless receiver which would allow me to use my wireless pads on the PC, but is it possible to simply use a wired pad instead?

Just curious folks, I own a 360 (on a low-def TV) so would prefer to play Assasin's Creed on my PC.

Both of my 360's pads are wireless, I understand that MS sell a wireless receiver which would allow me to use my wireless pads on the PC, but is it possible to simply use a wired pad instead?

You can use the wired ones but you need to download the correct drivers from MS's website.

LOL ok I just started playing this game and I was wondering if I was just retarded trying to quit out of it...........

cool game...I actually prefer using the keyboard/mouse on this game vs a console controller.

LOL ok I just started playing this game and I was wondering if I was just retarded trying to quit out of it...........

cool game...I actually prefer using the keyboard/mouse on this game vs a console controller.

i just alt+f4

quick and to the point:D

I'm trying to use FRAPS to get an idea of how it's running. but once it's in game the little fraps icon freaks out and starts overlapping itself so I can't read it. Any idea why this is?

This could be due to an older version of FRAPS, what version are you using? With the 2.9.4 version I use I have no issues.

Fraps doesnt like the black bars, so people who use a resolution with thick black bars will have fraps overwriting itself as the bars don't update like frames do.

If you have thick black bars, take a screenshot with fraps, it should 'clear' the old fraps values so you might be able to better see the number.

Fraps doesnt like the black bars, so people who use a resolution with thick black bars will have fraps overwriting itself as the bars don't update like frames do.

If you have thick black bars, take a screenshot with fraps, it should 'clear' the old fraps values so you might be able to better see the number.

I don't understand why the game is playing with black bars. I have a 17 inch crt and the res I usually play at is 1024x768, only in this game are the bars present.

Because the game is wrttin in a wide screen aspect ratio, and in order to retain the cinematic feel, the designers did not force a square aspect ration on the pc. I don't mind, and in fact I prefer that they stay as close as possible to their idea as possible.

No, I like it the way it is, and it would hurt gameplay to go square.

Seriously. How do I get rid of these in-game tips? I didn't see anything in the options unless I missed it. It's very annoying atm.

In case anyone wondering how this game performs on an outdated graphics card...

Specs:
Q6600 stock
7600GT stock 256MB
4GB RAM

2/4 graphics quality, 2/4 level of detail, 1/3 everything else, post FX off

at 1280x960, avg=36 fps, min=13 fps
at 1680x1050 avg=24 fps, min=0 fps (0 fps probably a mistake)

Each of those lasted 10 min+. Game was "playable", but stutters especially when riding from area to area on horse. Graphics performance wasn't particularly enjoyable. Really need a new video card, I guess.

Tempted to pick this up... thoughts on the gameplay?

In one word? Shitty.

First and foremost, you can't skip the pointless cutscenes (and there are quite a few).

Second, the fighting is so fucking easy. It's really sad. Once you learn the Counter Attack (which you will very early on), the game suddenly switches into easy mode. 10 opponents? No problem. :rolleyes: There's no need to be stealthy anymore.

Also, last critique: The world is very large for an action game. However, this is also its weakness. The game is pretty much go to this city (in which you have to ride horseback for 5 minutes to do so), pickpocket this guy for information, do some lame 'informer challenge,' then sneak around for a couple more minutes to kill your primary target in the city. The game actually makes this process very boring and tedious. And to make it worse, it's pretty much the same routine for all of the people on your so-called hit list. Go to another city, repeat steps 2-3, etc. :eek:

That's about it. You'd think for such an expansive environment, they'd add a bunch of extra things to do besides killing fucking easy Templars and collecting dumb flags. Nope, it's so linear it's pathetic.

I totally want my $50 back. Oh well. :p

I like it a lot. It reminds me of the open-ness of GTA:SA, where you could go anywhere, do any mission almost any time (within the progression of the story). You don't have to do all of the missions to kill the 'bosses', but you find yourself wanting to hit them all before you do.
The enemies do get harder, even after you get the counter attack option (though the ones right after you get it are too easy, I'll admit). The above poster doesn't mention that it gets harder to stay stealthy, which makes its own challenge.

I don't know. I think this game is for soem people and not others. My little brother doesn't like it because there is not enough direction and too much story. I love the story and is one of the reasons I bought the game.

I think it comes down to: Do you like story and open ended levels and large cities full of people with simple, cinematic and legitimately challenging combat (this is not a platformer or a fighter keep in mind)?

I am actually disappointed in the game. I just picked up my copy around 8:00PM EST and played for about 2 hours. I tried setting everything to 3/3 or 4/4 and it was like watching people do the robot fps was probably like 10, so I lowered the res to 720p and set shadows to 3/3 multi to 1/3 graphics and detail to 3/4 and it seems to be faster but looking at city-scapes and people there is a noticeable choppiness. I have a 5000+ 2GB DDR 800 CAS 4 and a 1900XT 512MB and I was hoping to at least be able to play at 1680 by 1050 or the 16x9 equivalent. Also I have noticed a tremendous amount of visual artifacts and bugs. The top left of my screen has some weird rectangle that looks like it is blurring everything and turns black rapidly. Also all the lights in the game appear ON the object when I stand in front of a window I am illuminated in the front as if i was outside the window a very weird bug indeed and it happens with every light source or reflection even those of the ground surface or water, so my character is covered in a bunch of lights constantly. This bug is enough to make me wait for a patch or driver update to play again it is very annoying to always see the lights instead of the game.

I am actually disappointed in the game. I just picked up my copy around 8:00PM EST and played for about 2 hours. I tried setting everything to 3/3 or 4/4 and it was like watching people do the robot fps was probably like 10, so I lowered the res to 720p and set shadows to 3/3 multi to 1/3 graphics and detail to 3/4 and it seems to be faster but looking at city-scapes and people there is a noticeable choppiness. I have a 5000+ 2GB DDR 800 CAS 4 and a 1900XT 512MB and I was hoping to at least be able to play at 1680 by 1050 or the 16x9 equivalent. Also I have noticed a tremendous amount of visual artifacts and bugs. The top left of my screen has some weird rectangle that looks like it is blurring everything and turns black rapidly. Also all the lights in the game appear ON the object when I stand in front of a window I am illuminated in the front as if i was outside the window a very weird bug indeed and it happens with every light source or reflection even those of the ground surface or water, so my character is covered in a bunch of lights constantly. This bug is enough to make me wait for a patch or driver update to play again it is very annoying to always see the lights instead of the game.
YOu have a decent system, the only thing I could see being a weakness is your graphics card. Now, I know it is probably more powerful than mine, but because of the age, PLUS this is a DX10.1 game, PLUS a console port... it may be lacking somewhere...

I've been seriously impressed with the performance. Plays nice and smooth for me. (using system in my sig at 1600x1200)

As for the gameplay itself...

It's a game for the "butterfly" gamer. :p

"Oh, building! Must climb! Oh... random civilian... DIEEEE!!! Another building? I wonder if there's anything up there! Oh... I climbed this tower and I can do an observation quest thingee? Ok... I guess... oh... pretty birdy... JUMP!!! WHEE!!!"

If you're more of...

"Must complete next quest... do nothing else but that... only quest matters..."

Then yeah... find another game.

I've been seriously impressed with the performance. Plays nice and smooth for me.

As for the gameplay itself...

It's a game for the "butterfly" gamer. :p

"Oh, building! Must climb! Oh... random civilian... DIEEEE!!! Another building? I wonder if there's anything up there! Oh... I climbed this tower and I can do an observation quest thingee? Ok... I guess... oh... pretty birdy... JUMP!!! WHEE!!!"

If you're more of...

"Must complete next quest... do nothing else but that... only quest matters..."

Then yeah... find another game.
Perfect. you nailed it on the head. That's why I like GTA:SA. You could go anywhere, do any quest any time, or just drive, or whatever. The amount of effort you put into the game was relative to the gamer and your style. My little brother beat GTA:SA in like 10 hours, but I took around 50 because of all the side crap I did just for fun.

The same reason why I love this game.

I have everything maxed at 1280 x 1024 and it runs beautifully. Once you leave the bureau the graphics stutter slightly as the city is loaded but it's only for a second or two.

Gameplay wise it's repetitive and combat is easy. I play in small chunks, otherwise I get bored.

I ran the game fine with an x1900xt 512, maybe not 60fps but eveything excpet shadows on max (on 2/3), and at 1280x1024. I woulf guestimate at 25-30fps avg. Enable the ATI Catalyst AI, and rename exe to FEAR.exe. Thats what i picked off from a forum, id link but when i get home if i can find it again. Also check Tweakguides.com

Well is anyone else finding this game ridiculously boring? I spend most time walking...

Yes, boring after a while. I seem to spend most of my time sprinting, to get from one objective to another. I've given up saving citizens and climbing all the view points. I've started doing the bare minimum to get to the main assassination. It's a shame there isn't more variety in the gameplay. The story doesn't hold my attention either, it seems over convoluted and poorly scripted. I would like subtitles too, I find this helps me to follow the plot.

I'm up to MB 5 and have just nicked something off the doctor in the lab. The game has stopped crashing since I denied AC access to the internet via Windows Firewall.

I'm running this at 1680x1050 with everything maxed, including multisampling at 3/3 and there is noticeable slowdown when panning.

Does everyone (with similar spec) experience this or might I have an issue?

Good to see that Ubisoft Montreal haven't given up on the Prince of Persia franchise. I much prefer the POP games to Assassin's Creed. New game on the way http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187870&site=cvg

Just finished the game, the ending to AC is bizarre, the whole games made very little sense

I was a little put off when I first figured out what the fuck was actually going on in Assassin's Creed, but I did like the game overall.

Back