Arm's New Cortex-A78 and Cortex-X1 Microarchitectures: An Efficiency and Performance Divergence

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited?

"Meanwhile the Cortex-X1 is a big change for Arm. And that change has less to do with the technology of the cores, and more with the business decisions that it now opens up for the company, although both are intertwined. For years many people were wondering why the company didn't design a core that could more closely compete with what Apple had built. In my view, one of the reasons for that was that Arm has always been constrained by the need to create a “one core fits all” design that could fit all of their customers’ needs – and not just the few flagship SoC designs.

The Cortex-X program here effectively unshackles Arm from these business limitations, and it allows the company to provide the best of both worlds. As a result, the A78 continues the company’s bread & butter design philosophy of power-performance-area leadership, whilst the X1 and its successors can now aim for the stars in terms of performance, without such strict area usage or power consumption limitations.

In this regard, the X1 seems really, really impressive. The 30% IPC improvement over the A77 is astounding and not something I had expected from the company this generation. The company has been incessantly beating the drum of their annual projected 20-25% improvements in performance – a pace which is currently well beyond what the competition has been able to achieve. These most recent projected performance figures are getting crazy close to the best that what we’ve seeing from the x86 players out there right now. That’s exciting for Arm, and should be worrying for the competition."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15813/arm-cortex-a78-cortex-x1-cpu-ip-diverging

I think the biggest problem is software. You're not going to have people ditch their x86 software overnight for something else (unless you're Apple, and we don't know how that's going to go yet).

Also, the discrete GPU market (as in people who need/want a discrete GPU)? At least I haven't seen any ARM based CPUs/motherboards with PCIe slots available, but that could change. Of course, then you're back to the software issue.

I think this has more server specific applications in mind than the home desktop/laptop market, at least initially.

Also, the discrete GPU market (as in people who need/want a discrete GPU)? At least I haven't seen any ARM based CPUs/motherboards with PCIe slots available, but that could change. Of course, then you're back to the software issue.

Check out the Avantek in the post above yours ;)

I think the biggest problem is software. You're not going to have people ditch their x86 software overnight for something else (unless you're Apple, and we don't know how that's going to go yet).

I think this has more server specific applications in mind than the home desktop/laptop market, at least initially.
Technically, the first PCIe4.0 SoC to launch was the Nvidia Jetson Xavier (Nvidia custom ARM 8 core CPU + 512 Volta cores), with a PCIe slot (8 lanes) and M.2 NVMe connection.

It was also ~$1200 MSRP at the time, though it was readily available, and it's ~$700 now.

On a side note, I don't know if the IBM POWER9 revision with PCIe 4.0 (there were earlier versions without) predated the Nvidia SoC or not. Either way, both launched before the AMD Zen2 chips (server and desktop).

Though getting to your point about general PCIe slots, the second post in the thread links to a slightly older ARM workstation with a PCIe slot and an AMD GPU installed in there.

I do wonder, outside of the Jetson/Pi/Odroid levels of ARM SoC, is there really a need for more powerful consumer ARM rigs? Basically circles back to your first question again.

Though as the earlier AMD64 patents start expiring next year, it does open the door to mass emulation of the larger x86 ecosystem (IMO, this is why MSFT's AMD64 on ARM efforts are so "late," they simply want to avoid any and all legal trouble with such an effort).

http://macchiatobin.net/product/macchiatobin-double-shot/

mapping-Double-Shot-1.jpg

Well obviously there are arm boards with PCIe connectivity. The software is still an issue and I don't see that going away in the short term.

Well obviously there are arm boards with PCIe connectivity. The software is still an issue and I don't see that going away in the short term.
HA!

First you said
At least I haven't seen any ARM based CPUs/motherboards with PCIe slots available
Then you say
Well obviously there are arm boards with PCIe connectivity.
...I have to give you a bit of a hard time on that one, but it's all in good fun. :D ;)

I do agree with what you said about the software support, and while it has become much better in the last decade, it still has a long ways to go for overall support, especially compared to x86-64.

HA!

First you said

Then you say

...I have to give you a bit of a hard time on that one, but it's all in good fun. :D ;)

I do agree with what you said about the software support, and while it has become much better in the last decade, it still has a long ways to go for overall support, especially compared to x86-64.

Well I mean enough people pointed out the fact that I don't look into it enough to realize they exist :D. I would argue they are niche devices and not a niche that I am looking for That's why they fly under the radar for me ;).

It's not as big a problem as you might think. MS already ships ARM compilers with Visual Studio. It's somewhat trivial to take an existing VS solution and build something that actually runs on Win10 ARM. There just needs to be motivation there...

Device drivers, on the other hand, are somewhat of an uphill battle. Without device drivers, there can never be parity with x86. For example, you'll always be able to run simple apps, like Solitaire or a web browser; however, a 3D accelerated game will need a gpu driver built for ARM. There's going to be a bit more effort on the vendor's part when it comes to drivers.

Legacy software is also going to be a miss. But I can see x86 emulation solving a lot of legacy software when the source code is no longer available.

Back