ARK: Survival Evolved

Definitely worth waiting, the performance right now is horrible. I get about 30 FPS all low on my rig. But man is this game fun, I pumped 9 hours into it on Friday and managed to build a decent size wooden base. Once this game has another year of development and optimization it's going to be fantastic. Game looks incredible on Ultra, can't wait to play at 60+FPS.

Yeah, unfortunately neither of us have super great machines (she has a G73JH w/ a 5870m, and I have a GT70 w/ a 770m), so I'll definitely have to wait for it to be optimized more according to what I've heard.

Um...why? So far people seem to be having fun with it and the devs are (so far) pretty active in pushing stuff out. Who says another game like this will come out, or even if one does, who says it's going to be better? If anything, your suggestion should be "wait for it to progress more" not "wait for another game". Just because you've been burned by Early Access titles doesn't mean others have or want to buy into Early Access.

I'll have to look more into it, but hopefully the devs are communicative with the community (which was the big issue with The Stomping Land..what little work the dev did do, he never gave out any progress reports).

I'd bought into a couple Early Access games, and haven't say I've really been disappointed in any besides TSL. I understand the risks with Early Access, so I can't say I can really complain too much.

Out of my experience, EA games does not really change from when it got released even if they claim it's in great development. I tried like 5 tittle so far.

I doubt a new survival game like Rust won't come out in the future. And I hope it won't be a EA low quality product.

Ark could be a very good game and a good successor to Rust but with its problem, Rust stay the king.

Btw, there is also Reing of King that look nice. But it does not work for me either. Just to prove you that it appear survival game like Rust are on its way.

In my opinion as both games are right now. ARK > Rust

Rust development has pretty much faded and there's nothing much to do. No end game content, no secret areas to explore, boring wildlife. It's just not fun building something that will be raided in a few hours. With ARK there's so much more to do and explore.

I found a cave last night, spent 3 hours in there killing things. Ended up getting lost and had to jump into lava to suicide.

The problem I have with most of these games is you don't have to venture much to find everything. In DayZ there are areas you must visit to find rarer equipment, helo crashes, military bases, etc. Maybe there is more to ARK I haven't learned yet, but so far it seems like I can pretty much just stab any dino, rock, tree, and make everything. There's no real need to adventure outside my residence area. The concept is great, exploring just seemed like it didn't yield much of an advantage.

Someone needs to make a STALKER version of DayZ already.

In my opinion as both games are right now. ARK > Rust

Rust development has pretty much faded and there's nothing much to do. No end game content, no secret areas to explore, boring wildlife. It's just not fun building something that will be raided in a few hours. With ARK there's so much more to do and explore.

I found a cave last night, spent 3 hours in there killing things. Ended up getting lost and had to jump into lava to suicide.

Of course Ark is better without its problems. But since all the dinosaur make no sense to me, since they are teleporting and other stuff like that, the game is useless. So it's why I say Rust is better. If they fix Ark, it's for sure better than. Much better.

The problem I have with most of these games is you don't have to venture much to find everything. In DayZ there are areas you must visit to find rarer equipment, helo crashes, military bases, etc. Maybe there is more to ARK I haven't learned yet, but so far it seems like I can pretty much just stab any dino, rock, tree, and make everything. There's no real need to adventure outside my residence area. The concept is great, exploring just seemed like it didn't yield much of an advantage.

Someone needs to make a STALKER version of DayZ already.

Agree, it's what I've been saying. So Ark with quest. Quest like Skyrim but of course no need to have all the voice actors. And maybe NPC town too.

Btw, I think Ark have mini quest, I'm not sure, I don't recall what I've heard exactly in a video. At least I'm sure that you can find some stuff on the light that goes to the sky but it require high level character.

To the people talking about Rust being "dead:"

I never played it, but isn't it still in Early Access? And it is developed by the same guy's company who developed Garry's Mod. Where did all the money from both Garry's Mod and Rust-Early-Access go if Rust development is "dead," the game is still in early access, and the game is still far from complete?

Of course Ark is better without its problems. But since all the dinosaur make no sense to me, since they are teleporting and other stuff like that, the game is useless. So it's why I say Rust is better. If they fix Ark, it's for sure better than. Much better.

Ark has more in it already than Rust ever did. I have about 600 hours in Rust and I can tell you honestly, if I had to pick between it and Rust...well, I haven't wanted to touch Rust since I got Ark. With 62 hours in Ark since release, I can say without a doubt that this was worth my $25. The devs are fantastic and roll out updates literally 24/7 fixing problems and even adding improvements to the game.

So the comparisons to Rust are ridiculous, since these devs promised something and delivered, while Garry Newman sits back talking shit about Rust is going to be this, that, etc when it's always been nothing but another DayZ...a game that runs horribly and is infested with bugs.

TAB key to open console & type: stat fps

I'll have 25 hours into the game tonight, so $1 per hour for this entertainment is a pretty good deal.

To the people talking about Rust being "dead:"

I never played it, but isn't it still in Early Access? And it is developed by the same guy's company who developed Garry's Mod. Where did all the money from both Garry's Mod and Rust-Early-Access go if Rust development is "dead," the game is still in early access, and the game is still far from complete?

Rust was a good game when it was released. But of course not complete. But for the price, it was all fair. Now Rust is in a buggy version that is not even worth to try.

enjoying the game, but they need to do some thing about the amount of time it takes to destroy you base while your off line.

It just doesnt seem like a fair trade to put 10 to 20 hours into something and then wake up dead, with no base, and no dinos. they need to make it easier to do the base line things or harder to destroy things while your offline.

enjoying the game, but they need to do some thing about the amount of time it takes to destroy you base while your off line.

It just doesnt seem like a fair trade to put 10 to 20 hours into something and then wake up dead, with no base, and no dinos. they need to make it easier to do the base line things or harder to destroy things while your offline.

Did you try the wood wall? Also, there is way to make house secure. It need work and time.

A good house is not 2 base and 6 walls. It's 20 base and a lot of walls and door.

A dilo tried to eat one of those big turtles, the pack of turtles started kicking his ass and for some reason ran towards our hut where everyone was sleeping. The dilo kept trying to eat one of my friends inside the hut while the turtles headbutted him until the entire shelter collapsed. I was off on the mountain watching the whole thing while my friends were logged off. I couldn't save them :(

Did you try the wood wall? Also, there is way to make house secure. It need work and time.

A good house is not 2 base and 6 walls. It's 20 base and a lot of walls and door.

the videos are out there. No matter how secure you make it, they can destroy it in less than 10 minutes.

I like the idea, the balance just needs to be made. I also want to know why I'm dead when I log back in. Player? Dino? bug?

the videos are out there. No matter how secure you make it, they can destroy it in less than 10 minutes.

I like the idea, the balance just needs to be made. I also want to know why I'm dead when I log back in. Player? Dino? bug?

I think that a sleeping bag could be good for only one respawn.

I doubt they can get to my house in 10 minutes. I'm a Rust veteran...

I think that a sleeping bag could be good for only one respawn.

I doubt they can get to my house in 10 minutes. I'm a Rust veteran...

Trex mounts could destroy even gigantic metal bases in less than 10 minutes. The devs are going to, or have already, made metal bases immune to all damage but explosion. So dino's can't just steamroll them anymore though.

Trex mounts could destroy even gigantic metal bases in less than 10 minutes. The devs are going to, or have already, made metal bases immune to all damage but explosion. So dino's can't just steamroll them anymore though.

I though we was talking about human attack. I have build a good little house and the T-Rex was not able to destroy anything. Maybe the game changed with the patch.

Either make them resistant to dino damage or atleast be able to make electrified walls that hurt them when they attack. You should be able to damage a base but not destroy it in minutes, maybe hours.

I though we was talking about human attack. I have build a good little house and the T-Rex was not able to destroy anything. Maybe the game changed with the patch.

That is a human attack, human raiders riding T-Rex mounts. Basically, your Rust mentality of making a stupid maze isn't the best thing to do in ARK, cause T-Rex don't care about your maze.

In other news the downside of the frequent updates and dev activity has started. Apparently durability is stupidly low now, potentially as an unintended side effect of a change to melee damage. People are saying you can chop down like 2 trees before your axe breaks.

pretty sure the patch last night made it so metal walls cannot be destroyed by dinos anymore. for a game that went live only within the last week or so, I've seen multiple patches every day and have been extremely impressed with the game so far. Also the fact that the devs have said the world is going to be procedural generated (and users can create their own maps) when the game is complete makes this a huge win for me. I haven't had any major issues, although I am running the game on medium for now, I couldn't have been happier with my purchase so far.

Ive been playing it for a few hours kow and its a lot of fun. Pthis is my first survival type game so it take some getting used to but i like it. Running around with a few friends building the house and gathering and capturing dinos its pretty cool. It can be crazy hard at times, and i sont understand why I can sometimes kill a dinosaur easily and other times get wrecked by a lower level ssme species one. But i guess thats just part of the game.

Performance wise it doesnt run well. I have a 6950, running it at 1920x1080 windowed. I had to adjust a lot of the options and it looks funky but it's playable. This is the first game Ive really had any problems with on this card, even on low. Im hoping they optimize it more, i dont really want to buy a new card just yet

A fun game with terrific potential. Unfortunately it runs like poop for myself and everyone I have played with on a large variation of rigs. Only one person in our group of 12 has 30+fps and his rig is a bit dated. Doesn't make sense.

The other thing i really hope they adjust is the ragdoll physics. I just lost my body because i think it got knocked halfway across the map. But same with the dinos theres no reason theur corpse should slide a mile away after hitting it

Amazing game I dont really care about graphics right now they can always be made to look pretty.
The game has such an addictive feel to it that you can never be satisfied and there is always something challenging ahead that you must prepare for. Some times preparing is the hardest part!

Either way not sure if H is running a private server.
Im running a private server that I will open up once my tribe is established.
If you are interested PM..

The Peaceful Farmers Server !

Well now that wouldn't really be fair to other people lol. Hey guys, come join our server we want someone to play against. Don't worry though we already have an impregnable base with lots of dinos and are all high level it will be totally even!

As for the game, I have been absolutely flabbergasted at the amount of effort and support the devs are putting into this game. They are listening to player feedback and updating the game multiple times a day sometimes. Really really great to see this from a dev team. I think one of my tribemates said something along the lines of:

"What is it with these devs that actually care? I can't take this anymore, I'm going back to SW:TOR." [/sarcasm]

My friend is hosting a brand new server, fast updates and teamspeak is available upon request!

Search for: The Badlands

It's full title is The Badlands - Wiped June 11th.

There's less than 10 people on it atm and we could use more; LOTS of unclaimed space for us to welcome the [H] crew. ;)

Edit: Can support 70+ people, bring your friends! :)

Last edited:
Amazing game I dont really care about graphics right now they can always be made to look pretty.
The game has such an addictive feel to it that you can never be satisfied and there is always something challenging ahead that you must prepare for. Some times preparing is the hardest part!

Either way not sure if H is running a private server.
If you are interested PM..

The Peaceful Farmers Server !

Sounds yummy! Maybe in a couple of weeks. Depending on the status of "Do I need a new AMD card."

My friend is hosting a brand new server, fast updates and teamspeak is available upon request!

Search for: The Badlands

It's full title is The Badlands - Wiped June 11th.

There's less than 10 people on it atm and we could use more; LOTS of unclaimed space for us to welcome the [H] crew. ;)

Edit: Can support 70+ people, bring your friends! :)

Thanks to those who joined and made it an even more fun experience tonight! Looking forward to more tomorrow!

This weekend, if I can catch some of you online, i'll help you tame some things!

Last edited:
Just played this with a couple friends tonight. Seems to run OK for me so far.

Kind of a different game and man is it disappointing when a dinosaur sneaks up on you and kills you!

Kind of a different game and man is it disappointing when a dinosaur sneaks up on you and kills you!

The beach is safer than the forest I think. Some beast are dangerous and others not, you can flee by running fast and using the rock to cover and lose them.

I have been playing with 2-3 friends for the last 4-5 days. We are having a blast. Some observations:

1. I get 30-40 FPS with all setting on high/motion blur off/osculation off with the system in sig.
2. Once you get a fort and a bed it becomes much easier to survive. Having a respawn point and back up supplies is huge.
3. The map is huge, try to find a secluded spot for your base. Don't clear all the trees in that area.
4. It is much easier to play with friends. Sharing resources, taming dinos, killing dinos...

Even though it runs a bit rough, I still think it's worth $25.

Talk about unoptimized I know it's early access but can't say it's been a good experience on my 4660k and 7950. I feel bad for anyone on a lesser machine

This was on steam sale recntly wasnt it? Is it still early access as well?

It launched a week and a half ago with a discount. The list price is $30, it launched at $25. For the steam sale is was put on the front page for $25. It was not discounted further. I believe the $25 launch price is good for 2 weeks from the launch date, sometime in the first week of June.

Well now that wouldn't really be fair to other people lol. Hey guys, come join our server we want someone to play against. Don't worry though we already have an impregnable base with lots of dinos and are all high level it will be totally even!

The Peaceful Farmers server is not really about PVP and this game isnt really about PVP either. Sure it can happen but this game just has so much more to offer then a pvp session or what you are suggesting that we should take advantage of other newer players. That is not what we are about we have about 5 active members. The main reason I dont want to open it right now is random trolls and a bug that will allow a player to join a private server use a tool to import their character and gain level 60. Not sure if they fixed this bug yet but for now we will remain password protected.

So if you want a server to learn and grow you can join our private server and either start your own tribe either way we will be here to help.

Sounds yummy! Maybe in a couple of weeks. Depending on the status of "Do I need a new AMD card."

You will be fine Cagey this game is so much fun and its been optimized a ton compared to release. I was getting like 30-40 FPS not even 1080P on MED setting with a 970. Now my 970 gets 60 FPS on high graphics and 1080P.

Come join us Cagey!!!

I've seen trees respawn but they are always smaller, not the bigger trees. Maybe i'm wrong, I will have to pay attention for 2-3 days.

Not you're wrong, the huge trees respawn too. And btw, the huge trees are not the best, appear that those that are near the beach and not that big are better: Because they give more goods without falling down.

Back