Are Amazon USB drives legit?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Just got an email from Amazon loaded with deals like this one -

Screenshot from 2022-05-03 20-43-53.png

Would amazon openly push bogus drives? :confused:

Yeah, I'd expect that to be garbage. I expect amazon doesn't care about return rates when deciding promos. I'm sure Amazon gets paid by the vendor even Amazon has to refund your money when the stick turns out to have an actual capacity of much less.

A 2tb usb 2.0 would be pretty brutal to be honest. If it was USB3.0 or 3.1 it may be worth something but 2.0.. Not worth it.

Oh god I reckon just 10% of Amazon USB sticks are legit. The rest are phony floor sweepings.

I've bought drives from there the past two years that my USB1.0 64MB drive from 1998 would embarrass.

I didn't even notice that this was USB 2. Like, who uses USB 2 these days for storage?

I still use USB2 sticks. A good one will do 30MBps+ and they are fine for firmware updates/Windows installers and just handing over 30GB of recovered data to a customer. I also had a 4GB OCZ USB2 stick I bought in like 2004 that was amazing. You just slapped it in and 'pow' it was there instantly, just kept on trucking. I gave it to my brother a few months ago...I miss that stick!

Thing is whether you buy USB2 or USB3 from Amazon...they still mostly only do 3MBps write...:rolleyes:

Yes, amazon does not actively search down fakes on their site.
I personally use samsung usb sticks, but mostly only need them to move a few photos or some office documents but never had any issues.

I just had two PNY 32 Gb USB sticks crap out on me. When I insert either of them into a USB port, they connect and then do not. Push hard enough on the stick and it reconnects again for a while.

I don't remember when or how I got them, but they are not worth the trouble, considerning just how cheap USB drives are these days. I like to have a baggie with a bunch of extra drives, so I never run out. Time for a quick trip to BB.

The very first USB drive I ever owned, a Simpletech 512mb, still functions perfectly. Over the years it's been washed more times than I can remember. Like a Timex, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. They don't make them like they used to.

This is a scenario where I would require "sold and shipped by Amazon" before purchasing. If it ends up being fake you instantly can get your money back.

This is why I only order from China when I have no other choice.
It's important to distinguish between a product manufactured in China and a Chinese dealer or website. The former is fine. The latter is a crapshoot unless you already know and trust the dealer.

Speaking of which, are there any Chinese dealers and websites that the people here can recommend (or warn against?)

I just had two PNY 32 Gb USB sticks crap out on me. When I insert either of them into a USB port, they connect and then do not. Push hard enough on the stick and it reconnects again for a while.

I don't remember when or how I got them, but they are not worth the trouble, considerning just how cheap USB drives are these days. I like to have a baggie with a bunch of extra drives, so I never run out. Time for a quick trip to BB.

I've had at least 6 PNY MicroSD cards fail on me and disappear all of the data that was stored on them. But even when they did work, they were painfully slow. Walmart uses them for their "ONN" brand flash drives, or at least did at one point. Those also are hideously unreliable, and the USB 2.0 versions are even slower. The ONN brand USB 2.0 drives I got that were made by PNY could only do at most 5 MB/s read and write, but is often in just the 300-500 kb/s range when dealing with small files.

I've had at least 6 PNY MicroSD cards fail on me and disappear all of the data that was stored on them. But even when they did work, they were painfully slow. Walmart uses them for their "ONN" brand flash drives, or at least did at one point. Those also are hideously unreliable, and the USB 2.0 versions are even slower. The ONN brand USB 2.0 drives I got that were made by PNY could only do at most 5 MB/s read and write, but is often in just the 300-500 kb/s range when dealing with small files.
Then I guess we are in violent agreement that PNY is the crap-of-the-crap.

Back