Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound 4g $3 Shipped

in for 2. I have 1/4 tube of IC Diamond left that I'll save for personal use and use the MX-2 on friends and families PCs. Should get me by for the next couple of years.

it is capacitive, and people have fried components doing wat you say is impossible. haha.
It's very, VERY slightly capacitive. The capacitance doesn't operate over a large enough area from the source to really be able to damage anything. I'm really not sure how you'd fry something with AS-5.

The absolute worst thermal paste disaster I've ever seen involved AS5. The person had somehow gotten it under the CPU, meaning all the pins and all the pinholes in one quadrant of the socket were gooped up with AS-5. The system had been like that for over a year, and had been working fine :eek:

go put AS5 on a memory IC and watch it fry instantly. its a well known issue and this isnt on topic at all so thats the last you'll hear from me on the subject

You guys, just keep it real about the conductivity of AS5. As long as you apply it correctly it's not going to contact anything except the CPU or GPU core. On the other hand, with PCB components like the VRM section, it's harder to apply, so it's better to be safe and use something that's not conductive. On the other hand, a poster above said that the paste had gotten in between the CPU and the socket for over a year and it was functioning fine, so whether or not it matters is debateable.

In for 2. Time to replace my 7970 TIM!

Don't do that. AMD has sourced a special phase-changing TIM that is supposedly better than anything that's in the retail market. In my estimate, you have nothing to gain, and only something to lose.

You guys, just keep it real about the conductivity of AS5. As long as you apply it correctly it's not going to contact anything except the CPU or GPU core. On the other hand, with PCB components like the VRM section, it's harder to apply, so it's better to be safe and use something that's not conductive. On the other hand, a poster above said that the paste had gotten in between the CPU and the socket for over a year and it was functioning fine, so whether or not it matters is debateable.

The problem only comes when the paste bridges two connections. If it's just on one pin of a CPU in the socket it's not going to make a difference. However, if you get it on a resistor or it bridges some pins, then there's problems.

Deal is active again. Got 2. I put AS5 on my 7970 EK block and shall replace it with this. I even put a dab on the ram chips before placing the thermal pads on lol. Oops

Don't do that. AMD has sourced a special phase-changing TIM that is supposedly better than anything that's in the retail market. In my estimate, you have nothing to gain, and only something to lose.

Where did you hear that from? People on the forums have replaced the stock 7970 TIM and the temps went down 5c...

When I replaced my cooler, the stock TIM was put down very sloppily, way too much and was shooting out the side of the gpu. I had to chip it off and then do a lot of cleaning

AS-5 isn't electrically conductive. Go ahead, try using it to draw a trace, it wont carry any electricity.

Yes, AS-5 is full of highly conductive silver, but the silver particles in AS-5 are encapsulated in non-conductive oil. At worst, AS-5 is very slightly capacitive, but only just... you could slather it all over circuits and bare contacts, and never have a single issue.

NOT true. There have been MANY reports of people who got artifacts on video card DDR memory when using AS5 when some of it got on the pins. I do *NOT* remember if they fixed it by completely cleaning, but please do your research and do a search before spreading FUD. AS5 on traces HAS caused faults on hardware, usually video cards.

Where did you hear that from? People on the forums have replaced the stock 7970 TIM and the temps went down 5c...

AMD probably uses something very similar to MX or Chill factor. In fact, it looks almost the same. I changed the default paste to MX-4 and there was barely any drop in temps. Maybe 1C. At least they aren't using epoxy anymore (anyone remember trying to get heatsinks off of geforce 4's? You had to freeze the dam things...)

buschman31...

Same here, they must have removed the free shipping...I wanted a couple of these, MX2 is the only stuff I've used for years.

I threw it in my favorites, I'll see if they add free ship again...and post accordingly.

LC

Just ordered 3.

And an FYI, a while ago I compared TX-2, TX-3, TX-4, GC-2, Thermalright stuff, MX-4, IC Diamond, and a couple others and the only difference between any of them was 1-2C on different cores, and thats well within the amount of ambient that could have changed. Go with whatever spreads best and/or is cheapest. If you got something that is too thick to spread, then just do a dot or line.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/AMD_HD_7970/5.html

Sorry I'm so late responding to this. I originally found out by looking at the blog of an AMD employee but I can't find the exact page anymore. Neoseeker says it affects temps by 2-3* C.

Here, I found the original page too. http://icrontic.com/discussion/95001/radeon-hd-7970-qa

Back