Aqua Computer or Dtek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also raising my hand right now. I know this for a fact.

If I didn't dislike the look of 3/8 or 1/4" tubing, I totally would have used it.

Given that GPU's now create more heat than a CPU, how does this apply when introducing a GPU (or two) block into the loop? My guess is the less restrictive of a GPU block the better for the smaller tubing.

Other way around. The act of adding GPU blocks increases the level of restriction in the system independently of the tubing restriction. i.e. the tubing restriction forms a smaller proportion of the overall system restriction, so therefore the impact of the tubing restriction is less.

Mind you, a greater heat-load in itself does justify the use of a stronger pump to keep the flow-rates up, as pump heat also becomes a lesser factor of the overall system heat load. In this way, as we add more blocks cooling more devices, we actually allow ourselves to benefit from the use of stronger pumps. The stronger pump would be best used to try to keep the flow-rates about the same as before we added more blocks, but since the pump is stronger, it can also more easily overcome the restriction of smaller ID tubing, and so the relative impact of smaller ID tubing is reduced.

I'll run some scenarios through the simulator I've written to illustrate the above points, but I already know the above points to be true through earlier work.

I agree that a 10mm system optimal for the small bore purist. Now that AC and other small bore manufactures are starting to move to G1/4, you will see the shift.

We don´t move to G 1/4 .. its just a special edition for the US market ;-)

The following is just my personal philosophy. I'm somewhat against tailor-made block designs though. If they're too tailor made for a particular CPU application that then just limits their re-usability when the market changes again. I'm still focusing on solving how to cool an entire IHS effectively and evenly in a manner that doesn't really care about what's underneath. I'm also against bowed block bases. That's an irreversible solution to a flawed mechanical design of the S775 socket.

That's why I use TwinPlex's in my loop instead of full cover blocks. I can continue to use the TwinPlex's in just about any foreseeable hardware whereas the FC blocks get dumped in the trash after a year or two. That heat sink thing made by D-Tek for the 8800 class cards is right up my alley. :D

Just to add my little 2 cents.

I have been happily running a ATi Radeon XT1650Pro (48W) and dual Opteron 250s (2x89W), in that order, in a 3/8" loop with a single BIX, cooled by a 69CFM low-flow Panaflo fan. Flow rate is 1.73 to 1.8 LPM on a Davies Craig EBP.

Temperatures are 41C for the GPU, and 43C and 46C for the CPUs respectively (at 20C ambient room temp). Under 100% load temps never exceed 45C for the GPU and 46/48C for the CPUs.

Not the coolest temps, but you have to admit that 226W dissipation is not bad for a single BIX... don't believe all the hype. You don't need ultra-powerful pumps and massive radiators coupled to the largest tubing you can find.

Ahh... the man of the hour! So how about telling us how we can get some SF 800 flow meters at the right price?

Makes money for the health care industry? ;) Have you actually seen one? Are there really sharp edges?

I haven't seen one, other than in pictures. In retrospect I may have been better getting one of those than the 8800 GTX full cover block and keeping using the twinplex I have.

I didn't mean to imply they were badly machined, or had razor edges... :p

Interesting that Cathar shows data around the cooling delta going from 6mm to 1/2" and no body argues one point. Funny thing is this is exactly what some want to argue over and over again here as of late.

What is so different now? Don't get me wrong, it is good to see but the data isn't anything that hasn't been said for years on this forum; and constantly flamed. This is not meant to be flamed but I would like to understand peoples views on why they do what they do.

What is so different now? Don't get me wrong, it is good to see but the data isn't anything that hasn't been said for years on this forum; and constantly flamed. This is not meant to be flamed but I would like to understand peoples views on why they do what they do.

Quite simple. Instead of both sides flaming/insulting each other, Cather comes in and provides the reasonable voice of reason. And with the promise of the data (small and big bore) to back up his words.

Cather: Perfect timing!:)

Besides, who is going to pick a fight with the god of WC'ing!:D

Interesting that Cathar shows data around the cooling delta going from 6mm to 1/2" and no body argues one point. Funny thing is this is exactly what some want to argue over and over again here as of late.

Well....

Nobody is going to dispute that everybody had always agreed that larger pumps, and or larger tubes had diminishing gains.

I think since there wasn't any real evidence around - none that I've seen - then people would have had to make their own conclusions as to at which point it would become so insignificant it didn't matter.

I guess Cathars data goes to show that as far as the pumps and tube sizings go the sweet spot is reached much faster than anybody realised.

Maybe it's all become a bit clearer now. But perhaps all the arguements really were because nobody really had any idea at which point adding more pump power, or adding wider tubes had little or no effect.

But not all is lost! We can still argue, hiss, and spit about which blocks are the best, which mounting system is the best, etc!

i just bought a different cooler myself. i have a question, is it not better for the cooler to be in the other side, isn't hotter?

i just bought a different cooler myself. i have a question, is it not better for the cooler to be in the other side, isn't hotter?

I'm not really sure what you mean. If you're meaning that some parts of a watercooling loop are warmer than others then yes, that is true. But only by fractions of a degree. Since the water is cyclying through repeatedly the temperature of the water doesn't vary much in the loop.

I'm not really sure what you mean. If you're meaning that some parts of a watercooling loop are warmer than others then yes, that is true. But only by fractions of a degree. Since the water is cyclying through repeatedly the temperature of the water doesn't vary much in the loop.

Not true... It depends on how many blocks you got as seen below. I typically have about a 1.4 C difference between my intake and output of my radiator:

Aquastream_overview.jpg

Wow, wonderful posts this last page and a bit.

Cathar: That sucks about the injuries + houseridden for 9 weeks. What bike did/do you have?

from his picture on XS, im going to say he probably has a yamaha R6 or R1. Probably the R1, unless its not a new (06-07) model, then maybe the R6.

Cathar: That sucks about the injuries + houseridden for 9 weeks. What bike did/do you have?

A Year 2000 model R1.

BEFORE

pird-25-04-07-collage.jpg

AFTER

sad1.jpg

It shall be rebuilt.

Click for XRAY of plate in right wrist

Been 4 weeks since the accident. Right hand is partially usable at the moment. Can type, but minimal strength in it.

Moral of the story is to not go racing around a track on excessively worn tyres. It was an oversight caused by circumstance...

*looks at the bike and trys not to cry* such a pretty bike.... in so many peices... Poor bike...

Looks about like what i did to my last bike.. though i managed to come out of it with a concussion and nothing else.

Wow, that sucks about the bike.

I Was looking at R1's and ZX10's, but I ended up with a K5 GSX-R 1000.

Good luck on the rebuild.

Ahh... the man of the hour! So how about telling us how we can get some SF 800 flow meters at the right price?
I used to organise some group buys. I still have one or two units left, for about 25 Euros + P&P. Swissflow will sell an individual unit if you approach them.

Most people argue the point subjectively. They may believe one thing or the other, but have no actual experience of both types of loop, or comparative figures to back up their subjective beliefs.

Cathar however is a voice of authority: he has done the controlled, comparative experiments and data collection, and has a considerable knowledge of physics to interpret the numbers correctly. He is not just arguing from personal belief; he is arguing from science.

Having said that, I don't know why people feel so passionate about the subject. As long as you are happy with the watercooling choices you made, and your rig works, it's all good, you know? But like any form of discrimination, the argument often seems to be based on unfounded prejudices rooted in a sense of personal inadequacy... That, to me, offends the spirit of the modding community. Feel proud of your work, but don't put down that of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back