Apple: You Must Be at Least 17 Years Old to Use Opera

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It seems that Apple is very concerned in protecting the youth of the world against the evils of Opera. It’s pretty clear Apple does not like competition, but this is just a wee bit ridiculous. I didn’t know Opera had an NC-17 rating :D

Apple couldn't simply block third-party browsers from the platform because they've been available for years. Still, the company wanted to make Opera look worse than Safari, and this is apparently the company's solution.

I always thought Opera was a "sexy" browser.

Makes sense...

Pretty much any App that access websites or messaging gets this flag.

As if I didnt need more, Apple gives me yet another reason to hate them. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Under Apple's own ratings system, the entire Iphone/Ipad/Ipod line is NC17!!! But strangly, they only give that rating 2 competitors... Lets here what the Apple fanboys have to say shall we?

***SPOILER: LOGICAL SENSE AHEAD***

taken from the article.

It might make some sense, currently the Mac App Store has no parental controls (i think) and the current version of Safari provides this controls and they're integrated with OS X. Now imagine if you're a parent and have set for your children a limit to only have access to certain child-safe webpages, they can bypass them by downloading Opera or any other browser that doesn't use parental controls. It's my believe this is the reason for imposing such a disclaimer.

Eh. The EU should force Apple to let users choose from 12 different browsers (if there are that many) akin to MS.

It's because 17+ apps can be disabled with parental controls, just like regular Safari.

This reply written on my (work) Macbook pro running Windows XP from Bootcamp (not VM): eat it Apple bitches.

:D

I think Apple is a tool and the sooner Jobs is gone, that whole elitist shadow he casts the better the company will become. I've used Apple products and not impressed. The Apple 27" imac sitting next to me is boring to use.

So w/ parental controls, you can disable the browser on an IOS device w/out OSX?

I can't believe it hasn't happened. Microsoft was never this bad.

Hell ya, Microsoft got slapped JUST for having its browser bundled (and not "uninstallable"). Microsoft was forced to make sure every user knows you can not only have other browsers but had show them on a silver platter.

Apple Bundles it's browser and goes out of its way to stop/hide others. AND gets away with it . . . talk about a double standard.

***SPOILER: LOGICAL SENSE AHEAD***

taken from the article.

Uh oh, a logical post. Yes, this is a parental controls issue. Talking about making mountains out of mole hills. BTW, you can also restrict safari in parental controls. Oh, and Opera on iOS is terrible.

Hell ya, Microsoft got slapped JUST for having its browser bundled (and not "uninstallable"). Microsoft was forced to make sure every user knows you can not only have other browsers but had show them on a silver platter.

Apple Bundles it's browser and goes out of its way to stop/hide others. AND gets away with it . . . talk about a double standard.

Your post makes no sense.

A) Microsoft makes zero effort to let you know other browsers exist.
B) If by slapped, you mean wrist-slapped, then you might have something there.
C) Apple makes no effort to stop/hide you from getting other browsers.

The process to get another browser on Windows is remarkably the same as it is on OS X:

1. Open IE/Safari
2. Navigate to the homepage for your favorite browser.
3. Download.
4. Install.
5. Enjoy.

Of course, given OS X's Unix underpinnings, you could be a total boss and download from the command line, which would serve you well if you have some painful hatred for Safari.

So what, exactly, does Microsoft do to serve up alternative browsers on a silver platter? And what, exactly, does Apple do to stop/hide others?

Srsly? Every fucking browser on the App store has a 17+ rating....Apple isnt treating this one any differently....goddamn.

Your post makes no sense.

A) Microsoft makes zero effort to let you know other browsers exist.

cVQjN.jpg

C) Apple makes no effort to stop/hide you from getting other browsers.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14538 - Apple Blocking Opera Mini for iPhone
http://operawatch.com/news/2008/10/apple-blocks-opera-mini-on-iphone.html
http://www.techspot.com/news/32307-apple-blocking--opera-from-iphone-app-store.html

In both cases, welcome to 2 1/2 years ago.

Opera is on the iPhone now only because of threats of investigation for being anticompetitive.

http://www.gomonews.com/opera-finishes-grand-standing-submits-mini-for-iphone-app-store-approval/

From Da Article said:
It took the threat of an FCC investigation into anti-competitive behaviour to make Apple greenlight Spotify, for example – another application that replicated and improved on a core function of the iPhone. In the Spotify case it was music playback, for Opera it’s web browsing. I’ll be extremely interested to see how Opera gets on.

So yes. Again, welcome to 2 1/2 years ago. This has been going on for some time and continues to go on. Apple will do anything and everything they can do to squelch competition on their own playfield.

Welcome to 2.5 years ago in Europe, I s'pose, because that sure as heck doesn't happen here (in the US, where MS doesn't have to do that, so they won't), on any Windows install I've ever dealt with. So the point made here is, just like Apple, Microsoft will only do something it doesn't want to do under threat of law. That gives me a warm feeling inside.

Also, I'm only referring to PCs, because that what the poster I replied to was talking about. iOS is a wasteland of nonsense that even I'll rail against. But you can attack pretty much everything about that thing, not just "Oh, look, Apple stuck a warning on an app, the same kind of warning it sticks on pretty much any app that grants you unfettered access to the web!!!111!11".

It's because 17+ apps can be disabled with parental controls, just like regular Safari.

Bingo. Browsers provide unrestricted access to all the 17+ content imaginable; they list all non-Safari browsers as 17+ so they are automatically added to the parental control group for 17+ apps. Safari, unlike the others, has website filtering built into OS X user accounts so that content can be managed for children.

Bingo. Browsers provide unrestricted access to all the 17+ content imaginable; they list all non-Safari browsers as 17+ so they are automatically added to the parental control group for 17+ apps. Safari, unlike the others, has website filtering built into OS X user accounts so that content can be managed for children.

Exactly. Otherwise, we'd be seeing the opposite flaming. (See the whole "my kids are buying thousands of dollars of stuff on the App Store" fiasco.)

You're kidding right? Thats ONLY in the UK versions of windows and ONLY because they where forced to by the court systems over there.

You wont find that in any US versions of windows.

Back