Apple vs. Samsung Jury Has Reached A Verdict

Gotta love all the apple fanbois who repeat the same crap it paid the media to spin. (i m no invested in apple or android)
Apple submits some claims on samsung phones. Samsung says hey i got key evidence that will contradict that claim , judge says file it normaly.
Samsung's lawyer files its addition the next day.
Judge: sorry you were too late.... it would intefere and push back other cases in line.

So yeah it'll go straight to appeals....and by no faults of samsung. When a judge tells u to submit something and you do and he s all like too late thats popycock.

the consumer still lost

i dont follow. apple will crash because the consumer lost? the consumer ALWAYS loses with apple. its why theyre sitting on a mountain of cash.

Samsung should just take the Loss. They are more than able to recover from this. They are capable to make vastly superior products than Apple as they've currently been doing. Samsung makes more than enough on there products alone so I would pretty much tell apple to fuck off & find a new parts maker for their products. They want to play hard ball with the competition, throw a few bean balls at them. That would wake them up.

would be nice, but i bet they make a lot more than 1.5bil/yr selling parts to apple.

** /TANGENT HERE **
*Puts on conspiracy tinfoil hat *

I've always believed Armstrong was vilified and targeted intentionally for his numerous wins over the French bikers in the race.

Deep-seated hatred against the US? Jealousy? Who knows?

Tests can be faked. I still believe Armstrong won those races legitimately.

** /CLOSE TANGENT **
you do realize the French have been and continue supporting him against the US anti-doping organization, right?

Gotta love all the apple fanbois who repeat the same crap it paid the media to spin. (i m no invested in apple or android)
Apple submits some claims on samsung phones. Samsung says hey i got key evidence that will contradict that claim , judge says file it normaly.
Samsung's lawyer files its addition the next day.
Judge: sorry you were too late.... it would intefere and push back other cases in line.

So yeah it'll go straight to appeals....and by no faults of samsung. When a judge tells u to submit something and you do and he s all like too late thats popycock.

It's clear that a lot of you guys didn't follow the trial. This so called "new" evidence was introduced on the first day of the actual trial. Samsung's lawyers had MONTHS to assemble and submit evidence. Why did they wait until the trail actually began? Why did Samsung refuse to disclose evidence or R&D materials for the Galaxy S line of smartphones? What did they have to hide? Where was the evidence from Samsung that could have possibly showed the jury that they did not infringe on Apple's patents? All they did was send a female hardware designer to the trail and she testified that it took her team (Samsung Mobile R&D) 3 months to design the Galaxy S. 3 months... to design a state of the art smartphone from scratch? Either Samsung is as guilty as this trial pointed out or Samsung's lawyers did a piss poor job representing them. My daily phone is the Galaxy Nexus and I love it but I'm not going to let my love for Android blind me to the fact that early on Samsung copied the shit out of the iPhone 3G. There's really no debating that fact.

i dont follow. apple will crash because the consumer lost? the consumer ALWAYS loses with apple. its why theyre sitting on a mountain of cash.

Consumers pay for product. Consumers are satisfied with product. Apple profits.

Who lost?

Ludicrous, how can the jury be so stupid to award a monopoly on a geometric shape!? Excuse me whilst I quickly lodge a patent on cylinders with tapered noses on each side and then demand all manufacturers of large airplanes start paying me royalties. :rolleyes:

The judge also acted unreasonably by depriving Samsung of the opportunity to lead key evidence. I am no expert on US Court procedure, but in Australia a judge would never punish a party by prohibiting from relying on rely on crucial evidence simply because they missed a discovery deadline, especially in a document intensive case involving literally thousands to millions of documents.

What might actually happen is that the judge would weigh up the actual prejudice caused by the late disclosure, and then make appropriate cost orders against the tardy party to compensate the other side for additional expenses which might have to be incurred (for instance if the trial had to be delayed). In this case there was no allegation of prejudice to apple, except to the extent that it undermined the strength of apple's claims.

If this hasn't been posted yet...here ya go.

2012-08-13-prohibited.png

It's clear that a lot of you guys didn't follow the trial. This so called "new" evidence was introduced on the first day of the actual trial. Samsung's lawyers had MONTHS to assemble and submit evidence.

Rofl, its pretty clear you didn't follow the trial either. It was not introduced on the first day of trial, there was an application and ruling weeks beforehand which Koh decided against Samsung.

Samsung's lawyers attempted to convince Koh on the first day of trial to allow them to introduce the excluded evidence, but she refused to reconsider her decision.

As for there being a reasonable basis for that decision, see my post above.

Response about what? Apple, during the trial, showed early iphone and ipad designs dating as far back as 2004. Did Samsung have a patent on said design aesthetics? (I'm guessing not, since Apple was granted that patent and won the suit)

Apples "patent" for the rectangular design with rounded corners was granted in Sept 2008, well after the stated Samsung designs. One would be BLIND To ignore the failure of the patent system in this case.

Apples "patent" for the rectangular design with rounded corners was granted in Sept 2008, well after the stated Samsung designs. One would be BLIND To ignore the failure of the patent system in this case.

its been overly abused, now its just negating what it was originally purposed for

I am confused why people think that apple is hurting competition or some how slowing down innovation with this judgement/suit. Everything looks the same right now anyways. I can understand an argument with pinch to zoom and other ui motions because how else are you suppose to do it with a touch screen?

Another thing I do not get is the statement that apple has never made anything themselves and that they have basically stolen everything. Can anyone truly back that claim up?

Well deserved. If you can't recognize they were a blatant rip-off then good riddance. Koreans are no strangers to copying anything. Just ask the Japanese.

And when the iPhone 5 comes out with a large screen, I hope Samsung sues Apple, since we all know Samsung had a larger screen first.

I am confused why people think that apple is hurting competition or some how slowing down innovation with this judgement/suit. Everything looks the same right now anyways. I can understand an argument with pinch to zoom and other ui motions because how else are you suppose to do it with a touch screen?

Another thing I do not get is the statement that apple has never made anything themselves and that they have basically stolen everything. Can anyone truly back that claim up?

3449l6r.jpg

2cd7ewx.jpg

A few days ago Apple became the most valuable company EVER. Read that again...EVER.

Actually that's not true. You need to adjust for inflation.

Microsoft’s 1999 peak was $620.58 billion, according to Standard & Poor’s. But in inflation-adjusted dollars, the software giant was worth about $850 billion on 30 December, 1999. This essentially means Apple has to add another $225 billion dollars to its market cap before it can overtake Microsoft.

A few days ago Apple became the most artificially inflated company EVER. Read that again...EVER.

I fixed that for you. Its a bubble and bubbles always burst. The fact that Apple who only sells discretionary spending items is more valuable then Microsoft which runs 90% of the world's computers is silly. If Apple went bankrupt tomorrow people wouldn't get their iPhones and iPods. If Microsoft went bankrupt the world would re-enter the dark ages.

And I can almost with 100 percent chance that the juriors were tainted big time and would rule in apple's favor. Kind of weird that apple stock was going up big time today hours before the verdict was so called reached. people knew already then what the verdict was going to be and cashed in on it.

QFT

Just kidding. There's no truth.

Wall Street is full of brilliant people trying to stay ahead of the curve. They speculate.

You accidentally a percent.

This blows. US patent system blows. We are in for some shitty mobile phase in the coming years.

Does this mean no more Samsung phones/tablets in the US?

No, they did not yet grant more injunctions.

Here's a pretty good article speculating on what it will mean for the consumer. Basically the same as people in this thread have already said...

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21396348/what-apple-samsung-verdict-means-consumers

Found this part interesting:
What worries Dulaney more is the impact of the jury's finding that Apple's "pinch to zoom" patent is valid and that Samsung violated it. The pinch gesture is already found in a wide range of devices, he noted. And that number will grow because it is a key gesture in Windows 8, the new version of Microsoft's PC operating system due out later this year, he said.

"Pinch-and-zoom is so fundamental. You can't work around it," he said.

But over time, the verdict is likely to force manufacturers to find ways to work around Apple's patents and create their own designs and features, legal and industry analysts said. Apple, in fact, has argued that strong patent enforcement is needed to protect its innovation.

If I was Samsung and other companies that have lost bullshit lawsuits to apple,I would say fuck the US market,pull everything out of here and focus on growing smaller markets around the globe where they can compete without the fear of being sued for developing a device that you can talk on and surf the web.

Are patent system is beyond fucked in almost every possible way,If apple wants to compete through monopoly,let them have it,Its almost not worth trying anymore and I wouldn't blame them when you get hit with billion dollar fines and injunctions.Then when the sheeple of the united states get tired of only having apple gadgets to choose from and are getting ass raped on prices and when every idevice loses it "magic" and every one is wanting competition and choice,Samsung should launch the biggest FUCK YOU! campaign the world has ever seen.

If I was Samsung and other companies that have lost bullshit lawsuits to apple,I would say fuck the US market,pull everything out of here and focus on growing smaller markets around the globe where they can compete without the fear of being sued for developing a device that you can talk on and surf the web.

Are patent system is beyond fucked in almost every possible way,If apple wants to compete through monopoly,let them have it,Its almost not worth trying anymore and I wouldn't blame them when you get hit with billion dollar fines and injunctions.Then when the sheeple of the united states get tired of only having apple gadgets to choose from and are getting ass raped on prices and when every idevice loses it "magic" and every one is wanting competition and choice,Samsung should launch the biggest FUCK YOU! campaign the world has ever seen.

And you do realize that if Samsung won then it would prompt companies to not innovate because someone could take your years of R&D and 'take notes' to make a knockoff in three months time. Yes the system is broken but it can't be completely tossed out.

Well look on the bright side , Samsung is forced to get more creative as will likely Google and Windows phone OS will probably get some much needed support as well.

One thing that article touches on (The Mercury News article that is) is that this could spur some creativity where its really needed. Lets face it , there are so many damn phones out there and most of them are garbage. Only about 5 in a 6-8 month period deserve any real notice , the rest are just shoveled on to the market. If this could force manufacturers to rethink OS design it could lead to something even better that Apple can't do jack shit about. Then when Apple attempts to copy it , companies like Samsung can drag them through the court system and get some long awaited justice..

Just sayin'

What you fail to mention there is the case was dismissed by the court.
Yes and that the two companies worked together and apple had permission, it was a different time back then. Not uncommon for companies to years later try to sue even if their grounds are baseless.

Samsung will appeal since the judge disallowed key prior art evidence before the trial.
This is no where near said and done and in other courts, Apple just lost overseas, again.

To be continued...

The US isn't the only country this lawsuit is happening in - and in other countries Samsung has won or it was a tie.

I wonder how that affects the global situation?

This is all I can think about when I see that verdict. The jury probably didn't even do anything wrong, it's that the patent laws are not fit for a modern world.
drevily.jpg

I hate Apple. And I hate our Patent system. Way out of control. Patenting a fuc*ing shape of a phone wtf? Should they make them look like stars and octagons?

"From the beginning, legal experts and Wall Street analysts viewed
Samsung as the underdog. Apple's headquarters is a mere 10 miles from
the San Jose courthouse, and jurors were picked from the heart of
Silicon Valley where Jobs is a revered technological pioneer."

So the case is pretty much:

Lets sue a Korean company in a California court, down the street from Apple headquarters. Find a pool of isheep jurors who will buy whatever BS Apple feeds them because they have become mindless sheep unable to think for themselves and have join the Apple brainwashing cult that think everything with an i before a name is superior to anything that doesn't have an i in front of it.

Biased Jury + Home territory + Broken Patent system + Brain dead isheep = BS verdict...

This is why crApple shouldn't exist anymore. Anyone who buys their crap is buying into the corruption and hamstringing technology.

"From the beginning, legal experts and Wall Street analysts viewed
Samsung as the underdog. Apple's headquarters is a mere 10 miles from
the San Jose courthouse, and jurors were picked from the heart of
Silicon Valley where Jobs is a revered technological pioneer."

How backwards can they be... Pioneered what exactly? Firewire? :confused:

Back