Apple Sold 10M iPhones In First Weekend

I am sick of the fanboy shit, yes the phone's technology is at least 2 years behind but overall the phone is a nice improvement of the 5s. My work let me upgrade to the 6 and overall I like the phone, battery life is noticeably better.

While i'm the last person that would ever purchase an Iphone those spec guys are super annoying.

They remind me of short man symdrome.

Most of the people that buy iphones are not tech savy and they don't want to me so they don't mind apple holding their hands. Just let them be the constant heckling over specs to users that doesn't even know what a command prompt is futile and a waste of your time.

Ignorance is bliss just them be.

Bingo!

It's a nice smart phone, but forcefully making us use iTunes to manage our content, no thanks!

When they add the ability to manage our content without iTunes, change the default applications and customize the UI, I will consider purchasing another iPhone.

Oh yeah,

Tell me about this.

The day I finally was able to uninstall iTunes after I replaced my iPhone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy S3 was one of the happiest of my life. I HATED that software.

To all the people who say Android had it in 2012:
67821.png

67823.png

67826.png

67828.png

67832.png

Granted, I use an Android phone (used to the interface, and iPhones are expensive), but anyone who thinks iPhones are purely bought on marketing/hype merits (e.g. post #2) and not on any technical merits are kidding themselves.

To add to this.

The only graph that I actually care about is the last one.

Does anyone really care what 3dmark score their phones gets.

I don't know about you guys but useable battery life is what I care about during my work day and that trumps all those benchmarks.

I like the iphone but would I still have to deal with that Itunes bullshit? That's one of the reasons I sold my 3gs.

Bingo!

It's a nice smart phone, but forcefully making us use iTunes to manage our content, no thanks!

When they add the ability to manage our content without iTunes, change the default applications and customize the UI, I will consider purchasing another iPhone.

Zarathustra[H];1041110978 said:
Oh yeah,

Tell me about this.

The day I finally was able to uninstall iTunes after I replaced my iPhone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy S3 was one of the happiest of my life. I HATED that software.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that iTunes hasn't been required since iOS 5.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8559/67821.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8559/67823.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8559/67826.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8559/67828.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8559/67832.png

Granted, I use an Android phone (used to the interface, and iPhones are expensive), but anyone who thinks iPhones are purely bought on marketing/hype merits (e.g. post #2) and not on any technical merits are kidding themselves.

Ill give Apple that. They have a fast ARM processor, but quite frankly, phones aren't gaming PC's. I really don't give a rats ass about performance benchmarks, because quite frankly, unless you are REALLY at the fringes, you wont even notice the difference.

A Smartphone - at least to me - needs to be fast enough to have a fluid interface, and run basic web, email, and ssh, and a sprinkling of the few actually useful apps that exist out there.

I've been able to do this well with every phone I've had since the iPhone 3g, which was a bit underpowered, and couldn't even take advantage of its 3g radio well.

I have never run a single game on any phone or tablet I have owned, and couldn't care less about opengl rendering performance or anything else like that. All those web benchmarks? Sure higher is better, but when the lower score works well enough such that you can browse the web effectively who cares? We are getting to the stupid Quake3A 300fps vs 400fps territory, where frankly, either will do.

Phones are more about what we would call "accessories" and software. How good/big is the screen? Can I charge it without using a patented, royalty bound proprietary charging formats? Can I swap out the battery/sd card, can I tweak it to my preferences? Do I have the freedom to install what I please on it, or is someone controlling that.

For the last few years up until this latest gen Apples phones were HORRIBLE in the screen department. It was PAINFUL to use my girlfriends 5s for any amount of time compared to my LG G2. And her phone may have benched well, but mine simply felt more snappy.

The 6, addresses at least partially) the screen deficit (the size is there, haven't been able to confirm the quality in person yet) and this might bring them into the "tolerable to use" category compared to 2012 Android screens. Everything else? I will ahve to reserve judgement until I have had a chance to actually play with one.

Zarathustra[H];1041110898 said:
The seamless transition between voip and cell voice calls is not currently present anywhere else (I use google voice on my phone when I am somewhere where there is wifi but poor signal) but it is not quite as seamless.

Except I already had that with T-Mobile 5 years ago, on my Blackberry no less. (I believe they called it UMA back then)

Walking the length of my office I would be talking on the phone over Wi-Fi, it would switch to cell service where we had a Wi-Fi dead spot, then switch back to Wi-Fi at the other end of the office. Person on the other side of the call wouldn't notice any problems.

So, your amazing new iPhone 6 feature was available elsewhere 5 years ago. Not exactly revolutionary.

Except I already had that with T-Mobile 5 years ago, on my Blackberry no less. (I believe they called it UMA back then)

Walking the length of my office I would be talking on the phone over Wi-Fi, it would switch to cell service where we had a Wi-Fi dead spot, then switch back to Wi-Fi at the other end of the office. Person on the other side of the call wouldn't notice any problems.

So, your amazing new iPhone 6 feature was available elsewhere 5 years ago. Not exactly revolutionary.

Interesting.

Is that a carrier specific feature? Does it still work on current gen phones, or was it tied to your blackberry?

I haven't come across a sleek feature like this on any other platform, but I have never used Tmobile.

They say necessity is the mother of invention... Maybe this is an indication of Tmobiles network quality that they ahd a higher need to fall back to wifi :p

Got my wife the iPhone 6 on launch day, she had an iPhone 5S, she says its a definite improvement over the 5S and battery life along with camera have improved. She did say that the iPhone 6 now looks more like an android device, she wasn't to happy about that, but she overall likes the phone.

That tends to be one of the tricks of battery powered electronic devices. Batteries get worse over time normally and newer devices might be a little more efficient with slightly better battery capacities naturally. I think the smartphone craze will slow down as the market in general in pretty saturated. I have not seen much improvement in recent models, so unless Apple can come out with a way to make it a status symbol against prices will have to come down and people might just upgrade as needed(without the current subsidy model which seems on the way out(hopefully))

I enjoy these articles. It is always the 'my favorite thing is better than your favorite thing because (insert pasted text from unknown source) and you suck because you don't like my favorite thing!"

Competition is healthy, if apple fell then the android fanboys would never see innovation again and if the andriod project fell, same thing.

I have owned both and typically change sides every other phone, i will say nexus was my favorite android line because it always got updates without needing to root and download roms and make them work.

Honestly the biggest thing that really made me want android time and again was the ease of ringtone changing and being able to replace the texting app with something else. Only gaming I ever do on my phone is solitaire or tetris lol

My friend has an iPhone 5 and I can't even manage to take off simple audio recordings or voicemail. I know its possible, but iTunes makes thing hard to say the least. I am aware of third party programs but why should we have to go that route?

My friend has an iPhone 5 and I can't even manage to take off simple audio recordings or voicemail. I know its possible, but iTunes makes thing hard to say the least. I am aware of third party programs but why should we have to go that route?

On the one hand it's ok to go out and find out how to root/download custom ROM's for an Android phone but on the other it's not ok to have to use a third party program for an iPhone.

I just always find it funny how much everyone needs to justify the purchase of their phone and in the process call everyone who didn't buy that specific phone an idiot.

Zarathustra[H];1041111083 said:
Interesting.

Is that a carrier specific feature? Does it still work on current gen phones, or was it tied to your blackberry?

I haven't come across a sleek feature like this on any other platform, but I have never used Tmobile.

They say necessity is the mother of invention... Maybe this is an indication of Tmobiles network quality that they ahd a higher need to fall back to wifi :p

This was a T-Mobile specific feature. I also have it on my Samsung S3, although it's just called Wi-Fi calling now.

5 years ago the T-Mobile coverage at my house wasn't very good (I was on the wrong side of the hill from their antenna), so I just used the Wi-Fi calling at home. Now the coverage is good, so I don't need use the Wi-Fi calling at home any more.

T-Mobile used to have a free app for wifi calling which any carrier phone could use. (Bobsled or something like that). I used it ~2 years ago while in Europe on my Verizon iPhone 5. It was awesome, but now it's only text messaging which isn't really that useful. Certain T-Mobile phones still have the wifi-calling option though. (Most Android and the iPhone 6, maybe iPhone 5s with iOS8)

You had to have an UMA router to go along with that and that tech, while cool, died a long time ago when TMo switched to wifi calling.

On the one hand it's ok to go out and find out how to root/download custom ROM's for an Android phone but on the other it's not ok to have to use a third party program for an iPhone.

I just always find it funny how much everyone needs to justify the purchase of their phone and in the process call everyone who didn't buy that specific phone an idiot.

I don't need to root or download custom ROM's for my Android phone OR download a 3rd party program to copy a file off the phone. With Android, I just plug in a standard micro USB cable, drop/drag the file to my computer. Since it's a standard cable, I have several extra at home and the office, since the cables are used by other devices.

Copying a file off an iPhone is more of a problem. I've lost count of how many times I've been asked for an Apple cable so someone could charge their phone or copy a file off it.
As for iTunes, I consider it boarderline malware. I've seen it corrupt so many systems, that if someone is having a weird problem, iTunes is one of the 1st apps I uninstall to try and fix the problem.

You had to have an UMA router to go along with that and that tech, while cool, died a long time ago when TMo switched to wifi calling.

No special router needed.
It worked fine with my Cisco routers at the office, and with a couple different routers I had at home.

Make fun of the iPhone 6's crappy design, camera bulge and 2012 features all you want,

Just goes to show how outdated the iPhone 5 was.

If this was an android phone with the same specs, it would be considered a mid-range phone that is way over priced.

Since it's an Apple phone it's considered revolutionary.

Most people who buy Apple devices are clueless about the current state of the industry and advances made in other devices, they only judge their iPhone compared to the previous gen, since they never even consider switching (power of Apple marketing and RDF).

Hence features which are outdated to the rest of us appear new and revolutionary to them, and Apple advertises them as such.

Of course the magic phrase that is used to excuse all this is 'user experience' as if its somehow light years ahead of every other phone, with no evidence to support this.

pretty much. The other scores are interesting, but battery life and general browser/system performance are king.

67821.png

67823.png

67826.png

67828.png

67832.png

Synthetic benchmarks are useless. Browser scrolling responsiveness is noticeably better on a 2012 Android phone and browser tab reload is a non-issue compared to the new iPhone 6+ 1GB DRAM that reloads with two browser tabs viewing this live blog:

http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-iwatch-live-blog/

This is as bad as the against Windows argument... If you can't use your device and keep it secure, you probably shouldn't be using the device (which is why you are probably an Apple user). If you want to pay for it, you can be babied by Apple.

Uh did you miss all the articles that point out security flaws in android that the user can't prevent no matter what? Such as the javascript injection just recently?

Android security has always been flawed. Anyone who has 20 bucks and an e-mail can upload any malware to the android store and it's up to Google to try to detect afterwards if it's really malicious or not. Typically android malwares get loaded in the thousands before Google finds out the app is bad.

Plus all the other bs on android, fragmentation, bugs, problems.. I've never yet seen an android phone that would hold a candle to iphone in user friendlyness, reliability and security.

When you connect an iPhone/iPad to a computer without iTunes does it actually show up as a drive using generic drivers and allow you to manage everything on it? Can you copy music, movies, and apps to and from the device via drag-and-drop? This used to be a huge problem with iOS devices and I suspect it still is to some extent.

When you connect an iPhone/iPad to a computer without iTunes does it actually show up as a drive using generic drivers and allow you to manage everything on it? Can you copy music, movies, and apps to and from the device via drag-and-drop? This used to be a huge problem with iOS devices and I suspect it still is to some extent.

Plugged an iPad with iOS 7 on it to my Windows 8.1 convertible about a month ago to backup some pictures to an SD card and it worked like an external drive with no need for anything else, all plug and play.

For Pete's sake their just fucking phones...:rolleyes:
You mean you don't determine somebody's IQ, physical fitness level, work ethic, and attractiveness based on nothing but their decision to use iOS/Android like the rest of us on tech sites?

If this was actually your reasoning for Apple then you'd be using a Windows phone. Better battery life, better camera, better performance.

It's okay to say you bought it because everyone else did. We won't judge... much

to bad windows phone doesn't have decent apps

I use Mediamonkey to get my music to my phone, I use Plex to get movies on there. I don't see any need to drag and drop apps to the phone. I rarely ever use itunes unless I need to back up and restore my phone. So that just falls whenever updates arrive. I had full access to iOS through pwntunes as I do jailbreak my phone, but I never had to use it so I never purchased it again when I updated my phone.

oh noes! my iphone doesnt have the best benchmark...

Every android user i know hates something about their phone. Every iphone users i know actually likes their phone.

I used an iPhone 5 it was ok, got an HTC one M8 and i like it, apple fixed a few flaws but missed the biggest one

the 4.7" is nice, good comprimise on size, but the 1080p and stabilized camera on 6+ is nice
the battery life-if the benchmarks hold true, are ok might actually get a full work day out of it

now if theyd remove the need for using itunes to add music, id probably consider going back

could care less about the brand, just a select list of features i want and the htc m8 checked them off this time around

Back