Apple Sold 10M iPhones In First Weekend

Must be awesome to be able to poop out two year old tech and still have people line up and pay out their asses for one.

Be interesting to remove the logo from the latest Samsung and airbrush an Apple logo on the back, and see what people on the street say about it! ;)

OK, I'll bite, as an owner of both android and apple things.

First, I'll say that the iPhone 6 is solidly middle of the premium pack in general stats. They hit nothing out of the park, but it's a damn site less underwhelming than the 5 was, I will not argue it is magic, or better in some hand waving manner that I can't explain.

That aside, is it losing out heavily on CPU benchmarks? No, it is doing pretty nicely. Does it have horrible battery life? No. Web rendering, 3d benchmarks and battery life, it's landing in the top 3-5, and often the flagship android phones aren't the ones beating it. Is it missing some killer hardware feature in terms of processing? It has 64 bit architecture, which the others don't, but nothing really takes advantage of. The others have a whole mess of cores running at inefficient clock speeds because it sounds better on marketing material, and the OS doesn't really take advantage of all those cores. Less cores less fast would probably work better for longer. I'll call that a push because both sides are pushing forward where there's little point right now and little practical benefit.

Is it lagging in sensors compared to the android crowd? Not really. Not to mention given that going forward you can count on all apple phones having them, you may very well see them all supported. Am I missing something other then the samsung IR blaster and the S5's heart rate sensor?

Does the camera suck? To even be remotely having that argument, you have to head over to nokia's offering with windows phone. In general, I've found android's camera offerings to be pretty substandard compared to my 4s, and that's skipping a couple generations of improvement there.

Android is fielding some nicer screens right now, sure. I find the disparity in the tablet arena when combined with price and removable media to be much more compelling a difference than in the smart phone market.

Pay out the asses? Subsidized the note 4 is $400. The 6+ is $400. The flagship phones on both sides are $199. Granted, android discounts sooner, but still. There's not a huge price difference from the perspective of the majority of the market. They aren't going out and buying unlocked phones at full price. But unlocked the note 4 vs 6+ it is $899 vs $750. One of those is more. It's not Apple. The s5 being a bit older is less htan an unlocked 6. So not seeing the difference there.

It's a rapidly maturing market currently being buried by shovelware and unethical data mining practices in the software offerings. Serious weather proofing and significantly abuse resistant screens are probably the only features not widely supported that would be in pretty wide demand from the hardware side of things. Absent that they are all slightly differentiated commodity hardware.

Arguing that any side has launched something that will rob anyone else of huge market share is pretty silly. Apple had the most to lose after the snooze fest that was the 5 and 5s. I think they have made a credible attempt at keeping their current user base. It still wouldn't make me excited about their stock though. It has been valued high, and apple still has not discernible path to any rapidly growing market. About the only chance I see for them to grow more is for one or more major PC vendors to shit the bed while MS follows it's comedy of errors all the way to shooting it's proverbial dick off.

Plugged an iPad with iOS 7 on it to my Windows 8.1 convertible about a month ago to backup some pictures to an SD card and it worked like an external drive with no need for anything else, all plug and play.

believe that's only for the camera roll, need iTunes for the rest of the photos/music

It's a nice smart phone, but forcefully making us use iTunes to manage our content, no thanks!

That's the biggest downside to an iDevice. I have an iPod, iPad and an iPhone. iHate using iTunes. Managing music is a real bitch. It could be that I am not good at using it, but I really prefer drag and drop interface for managing music.

That's the biggest downside to an iDevice. I have an iPod, iPad and an iPhone. iHate using iTunes. Managing music is a real bitch. It could be that I am not good at using it, but I really prefer drag and drop interface for managing music.

That has always been one of my biggest gripes with Apple going all the way back to the first iPod.

Why exactly did they design this over-engineered XML interface that required iTunes in order to drop music on the thing, instead of a much simpler USB mass storage device drag and drop type interface?

Why?

Because if they force you to install iTunes, containing their music store, then you are much more likely to also buy your music from them, instead of from someone else.

So Apple decided to inconvenience their users, in order to force them into installing their music store platform, driving further revenues.

This type of stuff may seem "smart" from a business perspective, but it ticks me off.

Pay out the asses? Subsidized the note 4 is $400. The 6+ is $400. The flagship phones on both sides are $199. Granted, android discounts sooner, but still. There's not a huge price difference from the perspective of the majority of the market. They aren't going out and buying unlocked phones at full price. But unlocked the note 4 vs 6+ it is $899 vs $750. .

Don't know where you got your prices but you are wrong:

Note 4 is $299 on contract, $700 off, that is 32GB model with SD Card (http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/browse/deviceDetails.jsp?deviceProdId=dev3240024)

64 GB iPhone 6+ on contract is $399, $850 off (http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/smartphones/iphone-6-plus/)

64GB iPhone 6 is $299 on contract, $750 off -- this is dramatically more expensive than any comparable Android phone

I honestly don't understand this Android vs. Apple circle jerk that I see and hear everywhere.

Who the hell cares what people are buying? They like the device, and something is easier for them to use, so be it. Do we really need to live in a social society where people are being judged not by their actions but by their fucking cell phone phone?

Ironically, I find it absolutely, side-splittingly hilarious that Android users make fun of Apple users for being smug, but are always constantly bashing someone using an Apple product.

Just go buy what works for you and shut up about it. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Like, standing on a line to get a cell phone. As opposed to... not.

Most people did this magical(yeah I used the word) thing called...preorder online. Pretty revolutionary and magical I guess when you press order online and it gets delivered on the day of release!

Most people did this magical(yeah I used the word) thing called...preorder online. Pretty revolutionary and magical I guess when you press order online and it gets delivered on the day of release!

Of course the iBots have to stand in line or even camp out over night. Remember, we are talking about iPhone users, so preordering online is probably a bit to technical for them :)

I have had the Galaxy 3 and 4. I don't use half of the shit on it nor does anyone I know, especially NFC and Google wallet. Both units I have had to power up because of them freezing in everything from Flipboard dare I say it Candy Crush.(reformed addict, don't play any more.) Both are very bulky to carry around in pocket in the summer, specially with an OtterBox to protect the delicate big turds that break easy. (went through two S3's) Tried to answer in the daylight yesterday outside BestBuy couldn't see a goddamn thing. I was so pissed you can't see shit in daylight on these damn phones.

That's just a couple of reasons my next phone will be an iphone by Apple. Another, all music before Samsung I have on iTunes. I don't want to convert or go through the bullshit of transferring to Galaxy's.

American Company. Sure phones are made over seas, but at least all profits are coming back home to Apple here, in the U.S.A., and the EMPLOYEES THAT WORK THERE. Samsung, keep sending that cash overseas where its made and profits stay.

And 4.7" is actually the perfect size for being on the go and quick pictures or strapping to your arm while working out at the gym. Which is one of the big things that pissed me off about Galaxys, you obviously never tried to workout with one of these in your pocket our strapped to your chest.

Go Apple, Buying American, getting my iTunes back, and keeping it simple. And best of all, its also a phone!

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. That's what the iPhone does best. The camera is finally good.

I have had the Galaxy 3 and 4. I don't use half of the shit on it nor does anyone I know, especially NFC and Google wallet. Both units I have had to power up because of them freezing in everything from Flipboard dare I say it Candy Crush.(reformed addict, don't play any more.) Both are very bulky to carry around in pocket in the summer, specially with an OtterBox to protect the delicate big turds that break easy. (went through two S3's) Tried to answer in the daylight yesterday outside BestBuy couldn't see a goddamn thing. I was so pissed you can't see shit in daylight on these damn phones.

That's just a couple of reasons my next phone will be an iphone by Apple. Another, all music before Samsung I have on iTunes. I don't want to convert or go through the bullshit of transferring to Galaxy's.

American Company. Sure phones are made over seas, but at least all profits are coming back home to Apple here, in the U.S.A., and the EMPLOYEES THAT WORK THERE. Samsung, keep sending that cash overseas where its made and profits stay.

And 4.7" is actually the perfect size for being on the go and quick pictures or strapping to your arm while working out at the gym. Which is one of the big things that pissed me off about Galaxys, you obviously never tried to workout with one of these in your pocket our strapped to your chest.

Go Apple, Buying American, getting my iTunes back, and keeping it simple. And best of all, its also a phone!

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. That's what the iPhone does best. The camera is finally good.

This post is so full of stupid it is unbelievable. Here are just a few problems with it:

iOS apps have been proven to crash more often than Android ones.

All smartphones are delicate, iPhones are not an exception.

You put a big case on your phone and then complain that the phone is now too big? Nice...

You don't have to convert any of your music.

Apple is one of the biggest tax dodgers in the world and all profits are definitely not "all profits are coming back home to Apple here, in the U.S.A".

4.7" is the perfect size according to who else besides you and Steve Jobs?

Plus all the other bs on android, fragmentation, bugs, problems.. I've never yet seen an android phone that would hold a candle to iphone in user friendlyness, reliability and security.

"Bugs, problems, fragmentation" -- so in other words you've got nothing but abstracts. Grasping at the "fragmentation" straw is always a giveaway that someone is holding onto an outdated buzzword that's no longer relevant to the platform.

If anything, it was the 'fragmentation' that helped Android become the Windows of Mobile in terms of openness and install base, much in the same way Microsoft understood the value of OEM and 'whitebox' Windows PC's while Apple remained staunchly vertical.

Zarathustra[H];1041111845 said:
That has always been one of my biggest gripes with Apple going all the way back to the first iPod.

Why exactly did they design this over-engineered XML interface that required iTunes in order to drop music on the thing, instead of a much simpler USB mass storage device drag and drop type interface?

Why?

Because if they force you to install iTunes, containing their music store, then you are much more likely to also buy your music from them, instead of from someone else.

So Apple decided to inconvenience their users, in order to force them into installing their music store platform, driving further revenues.

This type of stuff may seem "smart" from a business perspective, but it ticks me off.

What part of iTunes is not drag and drop? I use a play list for all of my music and its easier to manage than to drop in a ton of fucking music in a folder and then have to make the playlist by hand in the phone. I think thats more retarded than anything that people actively WANT to manage music in a folder. If you want a playlist you'll end up using some sort of software anyways that is exactly like iTunes.

What part of iTunes is worse or bad? I have been using it to manage all of my music for the past 4 years. I bought Airsync and easily sync music on my android devices and iOS devices through iTunes. I never have a single damn problem, iTunes hasnt crashed on me in 2 years runs smooth and manages my playlists and libraries perfectly. I just have a hard time understanding why people hate iTunes and dont give a reason but just to hate it.

I think you have to have people buying Apple products to make google give a shit about their non core products. Google might be first to introduce somethings between them and Apple but most of those features are forgotten and really terrible at first unless Apple decides to pick it up then Google has a reason to update them again. The iPhone has always been a solid device and a safe choice for a phone, it has the most solid ecosystem and support from developers all over the world and continually gets updates in a timely manner.

I say this because I have extensive experience of actually owning the products on both sides unlike many of you here. iOS and Android are more similar than different, both will get done basically any task you need a phone to do then more. One has a more consistent experience one does not. Thats the manufacturer's fault not Google's but it could be said that its also Google's fault for not pressing for a more standardized experience.

Lol...when they mentioned drones i got this vision of white, pasty-faced people (Obviously from living in their parent's basement) saying this:
"We are the Jobbs, Surrender your android's and give Apple your money. We will take and re-use your technological distinctiveness to make our own phones. Your lives will adapt to service Apple."
And yes i AM bored a little.....:p

oh come on... iPhone is a decent device. Not everyone needs tons of customization and the iOS app ecosystem is currently the front runner.

Its got a good camera, battery life, and performance... anything beyond that is just nitpicking.

At least with this iteration their customers get improved screen size and options vs Steve Jobs telling people what size is right for them.
It's interesting to see Cook create product lines instead of iterations.

I honestly don't understand this Android vs. Apple circle jerk that I see and hear everywhere.

Who the hell cares what people are buying? They like the device, and something is easier for them to use, so be it. Do we really need to live in a social society where people are being judged not by their actions but by their fucking cell phone phone?

Ironically, I find it absolutely, side-splittingly hilarious that Android users make fun of Apple users for being smug, but are always constantly bashing someone using an Apple product.

Just go buy what works for you and shut up about it. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

QFT

Androids fans seem to be all sad, that their shiny new army of device launches cannot compare to the iPhone LOL.

Look i use both Android and iOS, and for me not one single device running either software is considered perfect and the king. The android system allows me to run apps Apple doesnt allow, iOS allows me security in the device, I don`t have to see whether any apps have malicious code that might have compromised my data (yes I bet someone will mention an icloud hack but compare that to the badpress Android has gotten since the OSes inception).

Anyways if your butthurt and not being paid by some android device maker, i suggest dropping a line to their marketing department and at least get paid for the butthurt you post :) Same goes to the Apple fanboys who think iOS is the most amazing thing since sliced bread.

I care less about ones choice of phone than I do about the comedy and level of fail one is willing to go to attain it.

I think the major source of comedy to android fans is how the Apple fans honestly and seriously think each new phone is the 2nd coming of jesus. If you are excited for it, that's great... but trying to convince yourself and others that your new phone that is just now getting tech the rest of us have had for years.... just no.

Just imagine if someone came up to you on the street who just bought one of those 1980's pagers (because they were convinced it was magical and revolutionary by some guy) and then proceeded to try and tell you just how awesome it is and how he waited in line for 30 hours to buy it. Being a rational and modern person who keeps up on the latest and greatest you would quickly realize they were sold antiquated tech and then laugh at them.

Fact of the matter is - Apple could have built a phone with all the features and size of android in the years past... they know the minds of their customer base and saw no reason to give you the features everyone else was getting. Why? Because most people are consumer whores.

Unfortunately, it is looking like I'm going back to Apple. Spent the last 2 years with Android and while it was great when it started, my SG3 is dragging now. Honestly, I would be happy to stick with Android if not for the fact that that my company provides practically no support for Android. IOS... sure we give you everything short of sweeping the dust from the floor in front of you as you walk. Android... gotta use Airwatch, which sucks the battery life like a vampire that hasn't been out of the coffin for 500 years. Not to mention no rooting, lack of corporate-created apps, and the horrible Samsung encryption password (mostly Samsung's fault, an now finally fixed... but wasn't an issue before Airwatch).

With all the "corporate phone" headaches I've dealt with for the last 2 years, I told myself I would go back to Apple if they released a phone the same size as the SG3 or larger...

I'm going to miss my extra 64GB of storage I put in the phone for storing videos/music/ROMs/etc. and the ability to play any AVI/MKV/MP4/etc. instead of being locked into Apple's MP4 container. Will probably pick up a 7" Android tablet to fix my media and Android needs and get back to using my phone as just a phone...

Forgot to mention another reason for giving up on Android... the manufacturer's refusal to keep updating them. I still can't upgrade my GS3 to KitKat because Samsung and Airwatch don't want to play nice together. If I upgrade it, I have to unenroll from our corporate Airwatch servers every time I want to update an app on the phone, then re-enroll. I keep putting it off.. which results in the wonderful Verizon nagging to upgrade 5-6 times a day... including re-downloading the updates several times a day.

I hate the "it just works" that Apple likes to throw out, but considering our company will certify a new Apple device within a week or two of release, while new Android phones take 1-2 months (if ever) and new versions of Airwatch or other mobile device management software already support the new IOS and devices out of the gate it's almost a no-brainer.

Really not looking forward to iTunes again, but with the basic 16GB model it's not like I'll be putting much media on the device anyways....

I'm going to miss my extra 64GB of storage I put in the phone for storing videos/music/ROMs/etc. and the ability to play any AVI/MKV/MP4/etc. instead of being locked into Apple's MP4 container. Will probably pick up a 7" Android tablet to fix my media and Android needs and get back to using my phone as just a phone...
You can get the VLC iOS app for .mkv files.

I fucking despise Apple and the bitches that use it's products. Fucking company and it's closed ecosystem royally sucks! :mad:

You can get the VLC iOS app for .mkv files.

Since it's been 2 years with Android.. how would i go about getting the mkv files on the IOS device so the VLC app could find it? If I remember, iTunes won't drop anything on the device except for MP4 files...

Since it's been 2 years with Android.. how would i go about getting the mkv files on the IOS device so the VLC app could find it? If I remember, iTunes won't drop anything on the device except for MP4 files...

email it to yourself, get files via http using an app called Folders, use Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, millions of different ways. You really don't need iTunes to get files on your iPhone.

The interesting thing about Apple's fantastic introductory sales announcements (no matter the new product launch, the company always says that all previous sales records were shattered) is that Apple's share in those markets is inexorably in decline & in the minority shortly thereafter. Amazing, eh? I guess that only means that *Apple* product sales records don't actually signify very much.

I think it is more obvious now than ever before, but *cell phones* are the most overrated pieces of techno-junk available. Give me a machine I can actually use for something besides a dial tone and ridiculous Internet connection fees & teeny screens that prove only what a complete dunce the customer is ...! Give me a sleek desktop with which I can actually work & a keyboard I don't need to saw my fingers in half to use, or give me dea--uh, well, maybe I wouldn't go that far... (For me, cell phones have all of the techno-sexiness of pocket calculators and are as exciting as hot-water heaters.) I try really hard (and fail) to understand the level of technical sophistication one must have to lust after a cell phone.

email it to yourself, get files via http using an app called Folders, use Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, millions of different ways. You really don't need iTunes to get files on your iPhone.

Except after one or 2 HD mkv files he will be out of room on his 16GB iPhone.

I won't buy any phone for myself that didn't have an SD card, or at least come with 64GB at a reasonable price. Since I can buy a name brand 64GB microsd card for $25 or less, the difference between a 16GB and a 64GB phone really shouldn't be much more than $25.

FWIW, today was my first normal day with the iPhone 6 and I was stoked to get home with 50% battery remaining. I stream Spotify over 3G almost continuously at work, plus I took a few phone calls on the 6, did about 20 text messages, and surfed for at least an hour.

With my iPhone 5, I was plugging in the phone in the afternoon to keep the battery up, the 6 appears to be using a lot less power when streaming music.

In iTunes, go to the apps tab of your phone and at the bottom, VLC is in the File Sharing tab. You can add files to the app from there.

In iTunes, go to the apps tab of your phone and at the bottom, VLC is in the File Sharing tab. You can add files to the app from there.

Also you can just run VLC in the phone and it will run a web server and you can use a browser on any other PC to copy files into the phone.

Back