Apple Releases Four New Commercials

The legal copy one made me lol. These commercials make me love pc.

I actually tried to watch these at home this morning before work. I don't have QT installed at home so I figured that's why the videos weren't working.

I get to work try to watch the videos here and they don't work either.. is it likely the site is really getting slammed with traffic?

The overwhelming majority of people who want laptop computers simply want a system that can handle ordinary grunt work, nothing fancy, while being reliable, and easy to use.

I can easily find a brand new Dell Inspiron or Vostro for around 400 bucks, that includes 2 GB of memory, and can handle any grunt work that your average user will be sending its way.

How about Apple? The cheapest I could find on their site starts at 1000 bucks with a screen that's 2 inches smaller.

Maybe it can handle more of a taskload than the cheapest Dell notebook, but for the vast majority of people, who fucking cares? They just want something that will do the job, do it well, and cost as little as possible.

Still no one with links to the videos somewhere that doesn't require QuickTime?
QT lite doesn't work...

BIG ASS SILVERLIGHT INSTALL PIC REMOVED

Silverlight is not a video format or container.
FLASH is not a video format or container.

I could just as easily show the big ass FLASH install that pops up when I visit a flash site for the first time after a clean isntall.

Seriously people, does it really bust your ass to install silverlight? one click. It's not like QT where you get spammed by apple and have to be careful to avoid the itunes infection.

You people amuse me. You can bitch and moan all you want about quicktime and Apple in general, but you can't argue against the facts. If the only thing Microsoft can attack is the price of Apple computers, then they are in for a long summer. Considering that during the 4th quarter of last year, one of the lowest shopping seasons in years, Apple still posted HUGE profits and record numbers. It's just a statement to the fact that even though an Apple laptop may cost between $1,000-$2,800, people would still prefer them. Microsoft is cutting jobs and losing money left and right, while Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash of about $30 billion. And before you cry about how I'm an Apple fanboy, I'm not. I have my Windows based PC desktop, and I have my Apple laptop. I use each one for different things ie gaming, editing. Yeah you pay for the name and for the look, but having used both, OSX is by far a better OS. Vista was coded very poorly and inefficiently and Microsoft faces a HUGE up-hill battle to fight off that negative perception. But you are the same as those Apple fanboys who complain about the Microsoft ad's.

After watching these videos, it feels like Apple is strictly catering only towards existing Mac users. I've only see 2 people switch over to a mac for the past 2 years. Commercials like that little cute 4 1/2 year old asian girl uploading some pictures to her grandparents gets my applaud for showing users how easy it is to use a pc rather than attacking someone and raising stigma about a product. Although I can't say the same about their new commercials with the $1000 laptops. It was a step forward, but then a step backwards with their latest commercials. I say, if you got the money, buy a Mac if it'll make you feel better.

They've already attacked the "easier to use" argument with the 4 and 7 year old girls. Price was always a no brainer.

I'm just glad microsoft is fighting back. Neither company is all sunshine and light, but the mac vs. pc ads were ridiculous with a small grain of truth. Whereas most of Microsoft ads have been factually accurate, to the point and not a smear trying to make fun of their competition.

You people amuse me. You can bitch and moan all you want about quicktime and Apple in general, but you can't argue against the facts. If the only thing Microsoft can attack is the price of Apple computers, then they are in for a long summer. Considering that during the 4th quarter of last year, one of the lowest shopping seasons in years, Apple still posted HUGE profits and record numbers. It's just a statement to the fact that even though an Apple laptop may cost between $1,000-$2,800, people would still prefer them. Microsoft is cutting jobs and losing money left and right, while Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash of about $30 billion. And before you cry about how I'm an Apple fanboy, I'm not. I have my Windows based PC desktop, and I have my Apple laptop. I use each one for different things ie gaming, editing. Yeah you pay for the name and for the look, but having used both, OSX is by far a better OS. Vista was coded very poorly and inefficiently and Microsoft faces a HUGE up-hill battle to fight off that negative perception. But you are the same as those Apple fanboys who complain about the Microsoft ad's.

You one day first post trolls amuse me also. :rolleyes:

Ouch... attacking the fact that I just created an account, I've been coming to this website for a couple of years, and just thought that I would shed some light on the issue for you. But go ahead and demean "newbies", while portraying yourself as the actual troll.

I have 2 pc's and 2 macs and they both do great things depending on the situation.
My macpro is a beast which I use for video editing. My main PC is a gaming machine and the two laptops are used for work and misc stuff.
Yes vista was HORRIBLE when it came out but now isnt too bad. It runs very well on my Macbook pro or my PC.
The spyware situation sucks on PCs though , we have been inundated with Antivirus2009 or Spyware2009 calls. My mac has only gotten popups

I have 2 pc's and 2 macs and they both do great things depending on the situation.
My macpro is a beast which I use for video editing. My main PC is a gaming machine and the two laptops are used for work and misc stuff.
Yes vista was HORRIBLE when it came out but now isnt too bad. It runs very well on my Macbook pro or my PC.
The spyware situation sucks on PCs though , we have been inundated with Antivirus2009 or Spyware2009 calls. My mac has only gotten popups

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I have owned 3 Mac systems and 4 PC's with Windows installed, but I have never once gotten a serious spyware problem or any type of disabling virus on any of those machines - not even on the Windows ones.

Non quicktime virus alternate viewing location.... ;)

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/04/19/the-new-apple-ads.html

Thanks for the link.
The last one was rather funny, with future PC> And does anyone with a Mac, here, know if that facial-tagging-recognition thing in iLife really works? if so that's pretty awesome.
But my feelings:
- Legal copy- Dumb ad that has absolutely nothing to do with Macs vs PCs. An entirely pointless commercial that I think will leave the viewer rather confused as to the point they are trying to make.

-Biohazard- Old hash. Everyone knows you can get viruses on PCs. However, I think that by now, even your average joe/jane has figured out the basics of safe surfing, and at least understands that viruses are largely preventable by good surfing, even if they cannot stop clicking to see if they won that iPod in the flashing neon ad banner.

-Stacks- Valid point if that feature works. And if it does, well done, Apple. However, again, most PC users know how to organize their photos, and tagging in Windows Photo Gallery works plenty well as is.

-Future PC- Funny, sure, but again, old hash that PC's are prone to freezing.instability etc. Again, I think the average Joe/Jane has had a great experience with XP, and rarely encounters these issues.

Ultimately, I think the Apple ad-guys need to find a new drum to beat. These lines are getting old and will begin to pass over people's heads after a while. Also, compared to the new Windows ads, these are very boring and almost too simple, and ignore the whole argument from the windows side: Price.

Actually it is more that they are picking ONLY the price to go after Apple about. When looking at the average person overall either OS should meet their needs for surfing the web. It is when you start to single out a group of people or a certain need that you might find it easier to show why you should go with Windows over the Apple OS. Not only that but neither OS is perfect. I think going after one due to flaws while acting like yours is perfect is a horrible marketing method. If you take that both are not perfect and you don't try to slam the other for being less non-perfect than you, that also only gives you price. I frankly like the approach that Microsoft has taken. They started off only talking about themselves for the first part of their commericals giving demos of how to do certain things, or talking to people as part of the majova (or whatever it was called) experiment. It wasn't until now that they started to meantion Apple in their comericals. Apple's commericals have never really been about what the Mac OS can do, but what they see Windows as being and whatever lies they can come up with.

IMHO the Microsoft commericals have been more professional in their approach while Apple's have been more like a little kid in the schoolyard.

You people amuse me. You can bitch and moan all you want about quicktime and Apple in general, but you can't argue against the facts. stuff, stuff, stuff, insult, stuff, blah, blah...

Argue this fact:

Apple's share of the U.S. computer market fell to 7.4 percent during the first calendar quarter of 2009 from 8.0 percent during the fourth quarter of 2008, market research firm Gartner said Wendesday.

On a good day Apple has less than 8% of the US market and almost none of the global market.

The HUGE proftis and RECORD numbers you speak of are when compared to the their own past numbers. Not the rest of the world.

That mountain of cash you speak of ($30 billion) is less than half of Bill Gates "personal" net worth and barely what Microsoft makes in two quarters. Yes, it is a lot ...for Apple...not for Microsoft.

If you wonder why people have attitudes toward "Apple fanboys" your very first post is a good indicator as to why people on a PC forum might have problems with them.

Considering that during the 4th quarter of last year, one of the lowest shopping seasons in years, Apple still posted HUGE profits and record numbers. It's just a statement to the fact that even though an Apple laptop may cost between $1,000-$2,800, people would still prefer them. Microsoft is cutting jobs and losing money left and right, while Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash of about $30 billion. Vista was coded very poorly and inefficiently and Microsoft faces a HUGE up-hill battle to fight off that negative perception.

Vista is a little bloated, but it seems to be doing fine for a lot of users. Have you tried Windows 7? They fixed a lot of the coding and that guy runs so smoothly. When I worked in retail a few hours a week as a technician and I did't see customers coming back with problems as far as virus's or any malware problems. Besides, which company got hacked in the pwn2own competition 2 years in a row? Apple

Apple posting huge profits? Um I guess you haven't checked the stock quotes from the past 8 months huh? The company tanked when Job's didn't show up to Macworld and they had NOTHING new to show. So that huge profit you mentioned is still a downturn for the company. And tell me which public company isn't downsizing in light of our recent economic downturn? I highly doubt apple is hiring. Despite the problems, everyone's a PC user in some form another, whether its work or not, that most people don't want to bother switching formats. But instead stick to the one's they're most comfortable with.

Ouch... attacking the fact that I just created an account, I've been coming to this website for a couple of years, and just thought that I would shed some light on the issue for you. But go ahead and demean "newbies", while portraying yourself as the actual troll.

Heh, and in your second post you engage in an argument. Look at my posts, you don't get that when trolling. Secondly, you are picking a bone with a much bigger dog who doesn't like to let go.

Usually first posts are introductory, your first post was an attack on the general postings placed here... hence the troll remark... your second post is engaging into an argument, another troll attempt.

With that all said, welcome to the forums. And use quotes when you do postings, but I'm sure you knew that since you've been coming here for years and only a apple posting would make you want to register ;)

If you have a lot of spyware and viruses, that is a tell tale sign that it's more of the user than the operating system. I recently received my first virus in 4-6 years... I don't even remember how long... and this was from a client who had it and passed on files which went through my old unprotected system that I used for this purpose.

Silverlight is just a light weight GUI, like Flash but a bit easier to program and have free tools to boot. It's catching on slowly but in time you'll see it around a lot of places simply because its easier to work with overall.

As for the commercials, yes, Microsoft FINALLY hit back with something EVERYONE can relate to, money! Bravo Microsoft and continue to pour it on!

Windows now, Windows forever!:D

Exavior:

I completely agree with your opinion. Apple does a good job with the iPhone commercials, by just showing the phone screen, and showing how easy things are to do with it. I don't look at the Mac vs PC ad's as being really advertisements, more of a comic strip out of the funnies section. Yeah they have no point to make about either side, but it makes the consumer laugh or just forget about what the real issues are, and they just remember "Mac" or "Apple". It was a great advertising strategy, but they have killed it with these latest ones.

Apple posting huge profits? Um I guess you haven't checked the stock quotes from the past 8 months huh?

My job is reading stock quotes. I'm a licensed broker. Yeah their shares tumbled from $200 down to about $65, now they are working back up. It is stupid that people base the stock price on the fact that the CEO isn't around or may be sick. Secondly, the stock price isn't part of Profit. Profit is purely the excess gain in capital the company received.

I was not trying to start an argument, I was just shedding light on the situation. I am a very defensive person, so I'm sorry that it came off as an argument. Just thought I would stick up for "the little guy".

Wanna know why the iPhone commercials are so successful, and by association why the iPod ones are too? Because in those commercials Apple doesn't mention the competition nor do they compare themselves to the competing products in those categories - phones and mp3/digital audio players, that's why.

Know why the "I'm a Mac" commercials are not quite as successful and tend to be more irritating? Because they mention the competition and try to make anyone that owns a PC - you didn't miss that fact did you? - is an idiot, not just those that happen to have a PC that runs Windows.

You'd be surprised just how many people miss that slam to every PC owner... it's subtle, it really is, but it's there, and it goes back to the fact that Apple and Microsoft aren't really in competition with each other: it's a computer manufacturer vs a software manufacturer...

But it's still a slam to every PC owner regardless of what OS you run, brimming with contempt and arrogance, start to finish. It's not "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC that runs Windows..." yanno...

And if you're past the QuickTime/Flash/Silverlight brouhaha, you can find YouTube videos of each commercial linked off this page:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/20/apple-retaliates-with-four-new-get-a-mac-advertisements

That mountain of cash you speak of ($30 billion) is less than half of Bill Gates "personal" net worth and barely what Microsoft makes in two quarters. Yes, it is a lot ...for Apple...not for Microsoft.

Yeah, Bill Gates may be filthy rich, but Microsoft's "worth" is not in cash. It is in share capital and debt obligations. $30 billion in cash is a HUGE feat for any company, regardless of what industry.

Considering that during the 4th quarter of last year, one of the lowest shopping seasons in years, Apple still posted HUGE profits and record numbers. It's just a statement to the fact that even though an Apple laptop may cost between $1,000-$2,800, people would still prefer them. Microsoft is cutting jobs and losing money left and right, while Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash of about $30 billion.

...Yeah, because stupid fanboys will blindly buy Apple's overpriced crap. Of course they're posting record profits. :rolleyes:

Considering the overall (very low) percentage of Mac users vs. PC users, I wouldn't say that your argument is a very sound one.

The bottom line is that the old Mac ads made claims that were very dubious, the slam on UAC, the supposedly better security, etc. At the end of the day those claims may not be false, but they certainly aren't a slam dunk.

The claims that Microsoft are making about price are WITHOUT ANY DOUBT TRUE! Mac's are just a lot more expensive than comparable PC's with it why these ads work. Heck, the Microsoft ads even give the Mac some kudos for being slick and all, just to expensive. Plus look at the tiny Mac section of the stores vs the much larger PC sections in the store. Much more variety among the PC's.

So the Mac ads were all about hype and being cure and making funky claims and the Microsoft ads are now focused on the simple and undeniable truth. The truth shall set you free.

Considering the overall (very low) percentage of Mac users vs. PC users, I wouldn't say that your argument is a very sound one.

Marketshare was in no way part of my argument. Apple is one company competeing against multiple companies, of course their marketshare is going to minimal compared to Microsoft who's being sold by Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer etc etc.

...Yeah, because stupid fanboys will blindly buy Apple's overpriced crap. Of course they're posting record profits.
Insulting the average consumer is in no way a valid response.

Marketshare was in no way part of my argument. Apple is one company competeing against multiple companies, of course their marketshare is going to minimal compared to Microsoft who's being sold by Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer etc etc.

Take off those horse blinds, will ya? Apple has been insulting PC users for decades on television.

I have been a PC user since 3.1. I have in no-way been insulted by their advertisements. I see them as attacks on Microsoft, not on PC users.

Found the legaleeze! HD ftw...

To avoid sluggish operating systems, crashing and freezing, it is recommended that you clean up your system registry, defragment your hard drive, free up your disk space, and perform other routine maintenance tasks. To clean out your system registry, first backup your data, back up your registry, purchase, download, and install Registry Repair program, then quit all programs, scan registry, determine safe registry items to repair/delete/remove, select ok, and repeat if necessary. To defragment your hard drive, click start, and go to all programs > accessories > system tools > and open disk defragmenter, then select C: drive, select defragment and wait. To free up disk space on your PC, click start, go to all programs > accessories > system tools > and open disk cleanup. Scan will automatically start. From scan results, select files to be removed, select ok. Restarting your PC may then be necessary upon completion of system registry clean up, hard drive defragmentation, and disk space clean out.

I think all computers suffer from needing a cleanup once in a while...ie Quicktime is still running though I removed it and rebooted(That should be illegal), hard drives need defragging and some cleanup even on Mac and Linux.

I had to download quicktime to watch them, but the time travel one was funny enough to let me keep it installed a whole 2 minutes after I watched all the rest. The iPhoto search feature might be good, but what idiot puts all their images in one big folder? My grandma knows better...and my great-grandma too till she died last year...

While humorous, it's a dodgey attempt by Apple to distract from their own problems. Interestingly, the biohazard suit neglects to mention the rampant iWork and Photoshop virus infecting unprotected Macs - they don't count illegal copies as their problem I guess, and the EULA/Legaleeze commercial is shit. Apple has just as much legal mumbo-jumbo with their OS and is more restrictive...ie. Mac OS is only allowed to be run on Mac hardware..

hehe... my father-in-law use to put all his photo in one gigantic folder. After a while when he can't find his photo he come to me for help. That's when I taugh him to organize his photo in one root folder and then group the subfolder based on the date the photo was taken. Still to this day he can't find his photos....LOL.

1) Apple users are by no means the "average consumer."

2) If you make an uninformed decision solely based on a brand name, you deserve to be insulted.

Wow. Apple WOULD make you install their own proprietary software plugin (quick time) just to watch their stupid advertisements.

Hence, I cannot view them, because I refuse to put that garbage on my machine.

Whoops, forgot to respond to this comment:

I'll just go ahead and quote you again in response to this:

It's just a statement to the fact that even though an Apple laptop may cost between $1,000-$2,800, people would still prefer them.

:confused: I'm pretty sure marketshare is defined as how much share (i.e. money, i.e. customers) they have in the market. People "preferring" Mac over PC would equate to them having a larger share in the market, would it not?

I have been a PC user since 3.1. I have in no-way been insulted by their advertisements. I see them as attacks on Microsoft, not on PC users.

As have I, but I see the potential for insult as it is telling me that the computer I bought was the wrong choice, and I should have paid up for something better AFTER the fact.

The comparison game isn't something Apple really wants to engage in, especially since price is usually the #1 factor for the average consumer.

2) If you make an uninformed decision solely based on a brand name, you deserve to be insulted.

Like I said previously. I bet at least 50% of consumers make uninformed decisions based solely on brand name. It's called Brand Name Recognition. It's how Nike, Sony, Samsung, Brawney, Coke, Pepsi all make a ton of money. When I say "I bet" don't take it literally, its just a figure of speech to imply "a lot of people use brand recognition".

You guys can argue against me all you want, I'm still a normal PC user. Don't take personal offense from an advertisement, its not target to anyone on this forum to begin with. They are going after people who are "average" users, and I doubt the majority of the people on these forums are "average" users. We understand how the inside's of a computer work. Like I said, I was just shedding light on a situation.

Back