Apple Plans Clampdown on Jailbreaking

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town. Tonight there’s gonna be a jailbreak and Apple wants to take you down. Thank you, thank you very much. I’ll be here all week.

A job posting on Apple corporate Web site seeks a security manager for the iPhone platform to lead a team focused on secure booting and installation of the operating system, cryptographic services, partitioning and hardening its internal security domains, and risk analysis of security threats.

Not allowed to put the operating system you buy on whatever platform you decide.... not allowed to use the hardware you buy anyway you want....

but yeah Bill Gates is the evil one

When is Apple going to figure out that they can stop 90% of all jailbreakers if they would just fix their retarded app approval process.

Maybe I'll apply for this position and start by digging a very large hole and continue to throw the programs budget money down it.

Do not underestimate a group of determined nerds who know their way around a computer.

I hope they fail. I love my jailbreak iphone with winterboard, sbsetting and cydia

I think Apple would lose a large number of users among the tech savvy crowd if they successfully prevented jailbreaking.

I think Apple would lose a large number of users among the tech savvy crowd if they successfully prevented jailbreaking.

I completely agree. The only reason I like the iphone as much as I do is because of the freedom that jailbreaking it gives you. I'd go elsewhere in a heartbeat if they killed it.

I think the focus is more on getting companies to use their phone. They should really just come out with an enterprise OS of sorts with extra encryption and deployment options.

I work for a Fortune 50 company and I know that we have a pilot going allowing a small group of employee's to connect to the exchange server through their personal phones.

The fact that my company, who is rather conservative, is piloting something, leads me to guess most companies are itching at the possibilities of enterprise software.

This. I can understand the desire to load the OS securely, etc--it helps greatly in keeping viruses/worms/trojans at bay. I can't fault Apple for wanting to attain that goal.

That being said, however, I fail to see how locking out the hacker community helps Apple. I can hardly imagine that they're doing it at the behest of AT&T, since the iPhone is about the only thing that's saving AT&T's bacon, at least in the wireless industry. Apple are definitely the dominant player in that relationship.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the situation, but this seems vaguely familiar to the situation Apple faced about 25 years ago. They had the superior product, but their closed nature led, in part, to the rise of the PC and the near-demise of Apple.

This insanity is why I'm jumping to the HD2 as soon as it's released. My 3GS is currently jailbroken/unlocked, but I think it's only a matter of time before the ass-hats at Apple find a way to permanently prevent this.

Not allowed to put the operating system you buy on whatever platform you decide.... not allowed to use the hardware you buy anyway you want....

How do you feel about Microsoft's mass banning last week on modified XBox 360s or those using modified SATA hard drives or other memory units?

Sorry dude, if a company feels entitled to how the customer uses the hardware through lockdown or whatever, they're well within their rights to do it, crummy as it may be for some customers. I for one think its crap on both sides, particularly the draconian hard drive and accessory limits Microsoft puts on the 360. Nobody is innocent in this regard, everyone does it.

Hey guys to piss apple off, Go to Appulo.us and download like theres no tomorrow :p

Man I'm feeling great. I love these type of news posts.

I know the real story behind the xbox modding (heh).
I just got a new Droid (yay!)
I just bought some new Android/Java books.
Android is picking up steam and I'm loving my fresh debian install :)
And Apple keeps shooting themselves in the foot. :D

Man I'm feeling great. I love these type of news posts.

I know the real story behind the xbox modding (heh).
I just got a new Droid (yay!)
I just bought some new Android/Java books.
Android is picking up steam and I'm loving my fresh debian install :)
And Apple keeps shooting themselves in the foot. :D

Wait... You just installed debian on an android phone??? Am I reading that right? Damn.... I might have to go android really soon .....

Perhaps if they had a better app distribution/approval system AND no subsidy locks, there would be no need for jailbreak, thus no need to spend money to "fix the problem".

A system that needs fixing repeatedly for no actual gain is inherently broken. If I had significant shares in Apple, I would be looking into lawsuit options since they are pissing cash away on actions proven to be ineffective.

that was used by microsoft back in the DOS days. I don't think it's meant to be derogatory

Nah, it was used when Microsoft was accused of being an illegal monopoly in the Windows 98 days when the Justice Department didn't like them integrating IE4 into the OS, and Netscape accused Microsoft of sabotaging Netscape browsers causing them to crash all the time, and Sun accusing Microsoft of reverse-engineering Java and making Microsoft Virtual Machine.

Everyone was pretty cool with Microsoft in the pre-98 days methinks.

Nah, it was used when Microsoft was accused of being an illegal monopoly in the Windows 98 days when the Justice Department didn't like them integrating IE4 into the OS, and Netscape accused Microsoft of sabotaging Netscape browsers causing them to crash all the time, and Sun accusing Microsoft of reverse-engineering Java and making Microsoft Virtual Machine.

that may be, but MS used "M$" for file extensions and such back in the early days of DOS (or pre-windows). I can't recall a specific example, but I remember seeing it all the time back then :)

that may or may not be what people refer to when they use that "M$", but the first thing I think of is usually nastolgia, not cynicism :p

but yeah Bill Gates is the evil one

I totally understand what you me. Just the other day, I was using my XBox 360 to run Ubuntu Linux and play home-brew videogames.

At the same time, I looked at my buddy's iPhone and thought, "What a sucker!".

Then I installed Debian on my ZuneHD and jammed out to some PlaysForSure tracks I downloaded a while back.

I totally understand what you me. Just the other day, I was using my XBox 360 to run Ubuntu Linux and play home-brew videogames.

Are you keeping it off XBL? A shitload of 360s have gotten banned in the last week. Hell, someone on Shacknews just posted that they bought a used one from Gamestop after their first one RROD'd, and this week it got banned. Must have been using hacked firmware that he nor Gamestop were aware of.

Either way, be careful, Microsoft has been going ban crazy between 360s using hacked firmware and ones using non-Microsoft hard drives.

Are you keeping it off XBL? A shitload of 360s have gotten banned in the last week. Hell, someone on Shacknews just posted that they bought a used one from Gamestop after their first one RROD'd, and this week it got banned. Must have been using hacked firmware that he nor Gamestop were aware of.

Either way, be careful, Microsoft has been going ban crazy between 360s using hacked firmware and ones using non-Microsoft hard drives.

did you really miss his sarcasm? or are you just pulling his leg, lol....

i currently own a 3g ipod touch... and love it.... but I gotta say, if apple doesnt open up their iphone OS, and release it on different carriers + a wider range of models, they are doomed to fall to the Android juggernaut ....

hell, at this point, I fail to see how even symbian will stand up to the awesomeness of Android...

did you really miss his sarcasm? or are you just pulling his leg, lol....

i currently own a 3g ipod touch... and love it.... but I gotta say, if apple doesnt open up their iphone OS, and release it on different carriers + a wider range of models, they are doomed to fall to the Android juggernaut ....

hell, at this point, I fail to see how even symbian will stand up to the awesomeness of Android...

Haha, I was skimming posts and his awesome sarcasm went WAY over my head. That post is a lot funnier than I'm used to around these parts, that and some of the Microsoft asskissing here is crazy, some of it rivaling even the most deranged by the most brainwashed Mactards.

I don't think a wider range of models will help them at all, but obviously they need to open up the platform to different carriers. Rumors are going around that Verizon will start offering iPhones in the middle of 2010, which is exactly when Apple's exclusive contract with AT&T goes up. We'll see. I certainly hope so, AT&T is the worst thing about the iPhone. I had better 3G reception when I was in Morocco!

I'm curious to see how Android picks up steam over the next few years. As it stands, its marketshare and growth are pretty far behind Apple and Blackberry, and the iPhone is on track to overtake Blackberry in a couple months. I never would have expected that to happen so soon.

As for Symbian, IMO it is doomed. Nokia needs to come up with a better smartphone OS and so far they continue to fail. Between Blackberry, iPhone, and Android, I think it is only a matter of time before they are relegated only to the most basic of cell phones.

Never heard anyone say Gates is evil.

That and their huge market share in that era. I think that was also the time that Office finalized it's takeover of word processing software etc. Remember Corel / Wordperfect?

I think that all the anti-Bill Gates sentiment was pretty much neutralized when he decided to give a load of money away.

That and their huge market share in that era. I think that was also the time that Office finalized it's takeover of word processing software etc. Remember Corel / Wordperfect?

I think that all the anti-Bill Gates sentiment was pretty much neutralized when he decided to give a load of money away.

More importantly, they were penalizing PC vendors such as Compaq for carrying other operating systems or bundling other non-MS software with their PCs. They would do this by either threatening to pull their Windows licenses (which would kill them because their customers wanted Windows) or raising the cost of their licenses (which would kill their bottom line).

It was coercion in the marketplace of the worst kind. The DOJ didn't come down on Microsoft just for things like the integrated web browser, it was using their monopoly to bully other companies around.

Could you imagine if Microsoft was still allowed to punish Dell because they decided to sell servers with Linux preinstalled instead of Windows Server, or notebooks with Ubuntu instead of Windows 7?

every person i know with a iphone has it jailbreaked. i mean why not when u can get all those games and apps apps for free. apple needs to fix the problem if they want to make any money on games and apps.
i didnt get a iphone cuz i dont like not being able to take video or have actual insurance on my phone,

is there an android-capable mp3 player? i dont want to bundle my phone with my wifi/gamer/txter/etc. love my ipod touch, but is there an android (or other) equivalent?

is there an android-capable mp3 player? i dont want to bundle my phone with my wifi/gamer/txter/etc. love my ipod touch, but is there an android (or other) equivalent?

the current one seems to be the archos 5 android tablet....

but from what I hear, archos sucks as a company.... so i dont know.....

every person i know with a iphone has it jailbreaked. i mean why not when u can get all those games and apps apps for free. apple needs to fix the problem if they want to make any money on games and apps.
i didnt get a iphone cuz i dont like not being able to take video or have actual insurance on my phone,

You must have a lot of tech savvy friends then. I have mostly "normal" friends and none of their iPhones are jailbroken.

the current one seems to be the archos 5 android tablet....

but from what I hear, archos sucks as a company.... so i dont know.....

As a company they are ok, they are a firm believer in charging for everything. Basically you get the base hardware/codecs to play what you want and have to buy anything to play what you really want. Not sure if it is the same with the Android Archos 5, but I have yet to test it.

Hate to say it, but Apple will never truly kill Jailbreaking, they might stop it for a few months, but everything time they do this they just spawn more people who try to unlock the phone.

Back