Apple Mac Studio and Studio Display

The SSD there though appear to be DRAM-less and controller-less. So it's unknown right now if you can do a user upgrade.
Not even sure where you would find 4 or 8TB m.2’s in a 2230 configuration. I don’t know if their 8TB offering is a single 8TB device or 2 4’s in raid 0.

But they are probably Apple custom chips, but they are easily accessed so that at least leaves the possibility that they can be later upgraded or replaced.

Not looking good. He tried swapping SSD's between macs :\. More Apple non-upgradable e-waste.

Not looking good. He tried swapping SSD's between macs :\. More Apple non-upgradable e-waste.

Louis is going to have a field day with this.

Oh I just saw a video on the studio display. The power cord is hardwired to the display. Why not use the same mag connector that the m1 iMac uses?
Edit: it can be removed, but it appears to not be something for the end user to do. It requires a fair bit of force to disconnect. Pulling directly on the cable.

The ports aren't thunderbolt, if you get the version with the stand you can't put a vesa mount on it if you wanted to change to that mounting style down the line. The webcam performance was not as good as the camera found in the m1 laptop.

Edit: sorry for the confusion, it has one thunderbolt port, but the others are usb-c which means no daisy chaining displays.

Last edited:

Oh I just saw a video on the studio display. The power cord is hardwired to the display. Why not use the same mag connector that the m1 iMac uses?
Edit: it can be removed, but it appears to not be something for the end user to do. It requires a fair bit of force to disconnect. Pulling directly on the cable.

The ports aren't thunderbolt, if you get the version with the stand you can't put a vesa mount on it if you wanted to change to that mounting style down the line. The webcam performance was not as good as the camera found in the m1 laptop.

The power for all intents and purposes being hardwired is just the most Apple thing they’ve done in years imo.

There is one Thunderbolt port on the display, but of course that's for the connection to the computer. As for the webcam? Apparently, reviewers had to use firmware with a glitch that led to the subpar image quality. That's supposed to be fixed with an update. Not really acceptable with a $1,599 monitor, but at least that should be addressed before long.

I do find it odd that Apple didn't find a way use an (easily) removable cable for the monitor. It's not like the company doesn't know how to do it, as they've had plenty of removable cables before.

There is one Thunderbolt port on the display, but of course that's for the connection to the computer. As for the webcam? Apparently, reviewers had to use firmware with a glitch that led to the subpar image quality. That's supposed to be fixed with an update. Not really acceptable with a $1,599 monitor, but at least that should be addressed before long.

I do find it odd that Apple didn't find a way use an (easily) removable cable for the monitor. It's not like the company doesn't know how to do it, as they've had plenty of removable cables before.
Correct, one thunderbolt for connecting your Mac, but you can't daisy chain.

They have a clever connector on the iMac, not sure what that is about nor the inability to change mounts. Why are people stuck with the mounting option they choose at time of order?

Yeah Linus had a good rant/point about that. Basically they had to purposefully design that to be worse. Apple literally spent time and money to make that part of the monitor worse than almost the rest of their own products.... and at $1500 usd price level. And worse design element than almost every other monitor on the planet.

Yeah Linus had a good rant/point about that. Basically they had to purposefully design that to be worse. Apple literally spent time and money to make that part of the monitor worse than almost the rest of their own products.... and at $1500 usd price level. And worse design element than almost every other monitor on the planet.
I still ordered 2 but I have to agree, it's a shitty decision.

One with the adjustable stand and another with the VESA mounts.

You know, if they had made this something like a "smart monitor" and allowed the A13 chip to power that experience... this could have been a far more interesting display.

I did not, for a second, believe these scandalous lies. Pandering to the creepy cult of Apple hatred is so...

Then I looked it up...

What the actual fuck?

There is a theory that the dimensions or power plug requirements prevented Apple from simply using its familiar design. Still, if that's the case, I wish Apple had found a way to accommodate a removable cable. I wouldn't want to have to take the entire monitor in for service because my cat nibbled on the cable (she doesn't nibble, but if she did...).

The annoying thing is that the monitor feels like it could've been a great choice with a few smarter decisions: the cable, fully functional webcam image processing on launch, and of course a more aggressive price. The picture is accurate and vivid, the audio is apparently outstanding and the webcam just might be wonderful after the update. And yes, it's probably one of the best-looking monitors on the planet. But unless I was swimming in cash, I would rather buy a good third-party monitor and any peripherals I didn't already have.

There is a theory that the dimensions or power plug requirements prevented Apple from simply using its familiar design. Still, if that's the case, I wish Apple had found a way to accommodate a removable cable. I wouldn't want to have to take the entire monitor in for service because my cat nibbled on the cable (she doesn't nibble, but if she did...).

The annoying thing is that the monitor feels like it could've been a great choice with a few smarter decisions: the cable, fully functional webcam image processing on launch, and of course a more aggressive price. The picture is accurate and vivid, the audio is apparently outstanding and the webcam just might be wonderful after the update. And yes, it's probably one of the best-looking monitors on the planet. But unless I was swimming in cash, I would rather buy a good third-party monitor and any peripherals I didn't already have.
The monitor feels like so many Apple products, it's on the cusp pf being great but they love to either quit suddenly on a concept (lightning) or they just stop working to really round out what should be an incredible product (iPad). It's also RADICALLY overpriced.

Though I personally feel the attached cable is just completely mind-boggling. It has to be a cynical way to force customers to pay for simple services that could be done at home. It's predatory, Apple should be ashamed but we know they aren't. Apple has no shame. I refuse to believe they're so stupid that this is just a whoopsie, Apple's engineering is amazing, even if they tend to engineer things at partners and customers instead of for them.

And that's coming from somebody who loves a lot about Apple's ecosystem.

The monitor feels like so many Apple products, it's on the cusp pf being great but they love to either quit suddenly on a concept (lightning) or they just stop working to really round out what should be an incredible product (iPad). It's also RADICALLY overpriced.

Though I personally feel the attached cable is just completely mind-boggling. It has to be a cynical way to force customers to pay for simple services that could be done at home. It's predatory, Apple should be ashamed but we know they aren't. Apple has no shame. I refuse to believe they're so stupid that this is just a whoopsie, Apple's engineering is amazing, even if they tend to engineer things at partners and customers instead of for them.

And that's coming from somebody who loves a lot about Apple's ecosystem.
Nah, I don't think this was a predatory practice. Apple can still repair/replace the cable without making you pay to fix the whole monitor, and if you could replace the cable yourself you'd still likely buy an Apple cable. I don't think it's a "whoopsie," I think it was a calculated tradeoff to get the form factor/power requirements Apple wanted. Not necessarily the right decision, but not some mustache-twirling villainy either.

you can change the cable at home, it just takes some brute force to rip it out....
69q0e7.gif

this is the tool to do it
1648047337182.png

Back