Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Haven't bought one yet.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Not buying one.

Votes: 28 52.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this is similar to AltTabbins? Or is he flipping it as well?

I should have been more concise. The method of purchase and mix of skus. On the bright side, at least for me, is that I now have zero iPhones left :) On the bad side, Sanger Heart and Vascular will get all the proceeds.

I still wouldn't use Qi charging based on efficiency. Qi's peak efficacy efficiency is like 80%, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd rather use less power to charge the phone. Unless I have more than enough power coming from solar, which I do not, I'm going to wait for Qi to be around 97% before I even consider it.

As for the cases, I've bought a Mous case which is a thin case designed to survive drops from 50 ft.

Zach from JerryRigEverything gave the iPhone X high marks, it passed all his tests and showed pretty stiff construction in the bend test with almost no flexing at all which is impressive this time around:

Saw the phone in person. As a person who hasn't been on iPhone since the iPhone 4, the phone is damn nice as I had expected. I don't mind the notch whatsoever. And, IMO this phone looks way better than anything Android has put out to date. Just the look at how "minimal" the bezels really are compared to the other flagships (at least how it looks visually) makes the phone look really great.

Saw the phone in person. As a person who hasn't been on iPhone since the iPhone 4, the phone is damn nice as I had expected. I don't mind the notch whatsoever. And, IMO this phone looks way better than anything Android has put out to date. Just the look at how "minimal" the bezels really are compared to the other flagships (at least how it looks visually) makes the phone look really great.

I wouldn't say it's "way better," but the overall package is impressive even compared to the S8. Samsung has its edge-to-edge curved display and rear glass, but there are still "chins" and aluminum on the sides; the iPhone X, meanwhile, has the display filling nearly the entire screen and uses stainless steel to border everything. Where the S8 feels well-made, the iPhone X feels like the $1K phone it is.

if i will buy iPhone X i want buy in 256GB, Silver.

I'm curious what do you store on your phone to fill or need the 256gb? I have a 128gb iPhone 7+ and bought the 64gb X.

When I looked at my 7+ storage about 40gb was from pictures and/videos.

I moved the majority to my PC and when I backed up and restored to my X I'm using 18gb.

I realized I did not need to keep 5,000+ pictures/videos on my phone as I just kept my favorites and transferred the rest to my PC.

Holy shit.....

Just got it in my hands at home....easily the best feeling phone ive held. Top level build quality, feels like a million bucks. Don't know how to explain it, it is beautiful. A shame im gonna put a case on it.
That’s the shit though I hate putting all that awesome design into a case but ya gotta unless your shit Benjamins.

I'm curious what do you store on your phone to fill or need the 256gb? I have a 128gb iPhone 7+ and bought the 64gb X.

When I looked at my 7+ storage about 40gb was from pictures and/videos.

I moved the majority to my PC and when I backed up and restored to my X I'm using 18gb.

I realized I did not need to keep 5,000+ pictures/videos on my phone as I just kept my favorites and transferred the rest to my PC.
For me it’s resale value for the next phone and I store a lot of things offline like songs and photos. Easily filling 100 gigs.

After 24 hours, im still loving it. I got all my music and movies transferred over. Faceid has worked flawlessly without a single hiccup. For the first day, I didnt even think it was enabled since I would just pick up my phone and it would already be unlocked with just my normal use. The form factor is amazing especially after coming from a 7 plus and wanting something a tiny bit smaller. The screen is as amazing as I would expect from an amoled screen but without the overdone colors that samsung pushes on their phones. IOS is what it is. Overall im extremely happy with it.

It's hard to describe how addictive the X is. It brings me back to the OnePlus One when I first got that.

It just is as smooth an experience as can be and Face ID works surprisingly well.

It really is an excellent phone.

I was using it heavy earlier today and was at 4h 4m screen on time with 48% battery left. Seems to be similar to my 7+

E669F621-C957-426D-BC67-5ADDEC140CCB.png
1BBC5B91-18C0-41E6-A444-ABFE86F85338.png

Those are some pretty narrow screenshots, just seems a bit too long to me but I'm used to 16:9 displays I suppose.

This is my first iPhone, and I just can't get over how darn smooth it is. I know the A11 is a beast compared to the Snapdragons, but man, everything is instant. Even websites load significantly faster than any Android flagship I've owned. My last phone was a Mate 9, which is no slouch, either. Battery life seems very good, too. Especially, the standby drain seems to be next to nothing.

This is my first iPhone, and I just can't get over how darn smooth it is. I know the A11 is a beast compared to the Snapdragons, but man, everything is instant. Even websites load significantly faster than any Android flagship I've owned. My last phone was a Mate 9, which is no slouch, either. Battery life seems very good, too. Especially, the standby drain seems to be next to nothing.

iOS excels at standby. I leave Bluetooth, Wifi, location, etc. (so I can use a smartphone like a smartphone) on when I use iOS and don't worry about it as there is virtually no background drain.

^^ all real world examples of just how well Apple has done.

Honestly, bravo. I’m another one of the guys absolutely loving everything about this phone. Also can’t believe how fast and smooth Face ID is.

Hats off

All of this makes me super excited to get my phone.

h8hiEQzh.jpg

Here's what I'm at with 5% left before I set it to charge tonight. A day of moderate to heavy use. I'm very happy with this battery life.

Here's what I'm at with 5% left before I set it to charge tonight. A day of moderate to heavy use. I'm very happy with this battery life.

Is that usage on screen time? I haven't used an iPhone as a daily driver in years. If that is SoT that is fantastic!

Just watched this and I can't say I'm really surprised given the devices, it's not a slam against the iPhone X (really) but I don't find such comparisons to be really all that interesting considering I know iOS runs better on that A11 hardware because of the extreme tuning of the OS that Apple goes through when they create new devices. Anybody that's paying attention would never say otherwise, or else they shouldn't lest their opinions be discarded even faster than the benchmarks. :D

I am still highly leery of the Geekbench thing and always will be, the discrepancy in the scores leads me to suspect there's some cheating going on either with how the benchmark is run on the iOS platform itself or there's something coded in the benchmark itself that is not working right. When the single core is so large and the multi-core isn't even close to being a multiple based on the core count (1 vs 6) there's something funky going on. Regardless:

h8hiEQzh.jpg

I don’t have that usage right now but I don’t get that battery life on a 6S+. I’d probably get 6’ish.

Just watched this and I can't say I'm really surprised given the devices, it's not a slam against the iPhone X (really) but I don't find such comparisons to be really all that interesting considering I know iOS runs better on that A11 hardware because of the extreme tuning of the OS that Apple goes through when they create new devices. Anybody that's paying attention would never say otherwise, or else they shouldn't lest their opinions be discarded even faster than the benchmarks. :D

I am still highly leery of the Geekbench thing and always will be, the discrepancy in the scores leads me to suspect there's some cheating going on either with how the benchmark is run on the iOS platform itself or there's something coded in the benchmark itself that is not working right. When the single core is so large and the multi-core isn't even close to being a multiple based on the core count (1 vs 6) there's something funky going on. Regardless:

What I think the most important thing is not so much how quickly an app opens, its how the app actually performs when using it.

The X is very fluid and the lack of a home button makes it more pronounced in a good way. It is a different experience using the X against my OnePlus 5 or even my 7+.

The one thing you notice is that it feels like a smaller phone when you use it due to the aspect ratio. It takes getting used to but I have liked a smaller phone but smaller phones have typically been gimped in the camera, battery and screen resolution.

The Pixel has been the closest to providing a small flagship without compromising on the spec end.

The X provides the high end camera and screen and seemingly, in my limited use, a battery life more towards a bigger phone than a smaller phone. I'm guessing battery life will end up somewhere between the regular size and plus which would be a negative but manageable considering the other benefits the X provides.

I have to imagine that Apple will release a Plus version of the X next year and keep this as the smaller size option.

Hopefully they do not go back to making the Plus the version with the better specs but in all honesty the X is overkill from a spec perspective as my 7+ was more than good enough for what I require from my phone.

Is that usage on screen time? I haven't used an iPhone as a daily driver in years. If that is SoT that is fantastic!
Yes, usage is the iOS equivalent to screen on time. The battery life demolished what I usually got on my 7+ (5-6 hours). It's not as good as the Pixel 2 XL I had, but still pretty close.

The issue with app loading tests like this: you're not so much measuring CPU speed (though that does play a part) as you are storage. This does illustrate that Apple's 3GB of RAM is starting to hit its limits, mind you, and even Samsung's historically bloated take on Android is fine with 6GB of RAM. I'm hoping next year's iPhone has 4GB.

My take on Geekbench is... mixed. I think it can be generally representative of performance when comparing mobile-to-mobile or PC-to-PC, but it doesn't tell the whole story and doesn't really hold up when you're comparing mobile to PC. The iPhone X score makes sense to me, mind you: remember that half the A11's cores are low-power, so that and the usual reduced efficiency of multi-core processing means that you're just not going to get six times the single-core result. And the single-core speed might line up, because Apple has historically focused on individual core speed over having as many cores as possible.

With that said, the real-world battery life appears to be fantastic, and I suspect we could get a better sense of abstract performance by using other cross-platform benchmarks like 3DMark or AnTuTu.

Watching tons of YouTube videos this weekend, and techie's doing battery drain tests among st the tops phones, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, Note 8, OnePlus 5 etc...

One thing they all seem to be showing is that the X gets a good bit better battery life than the 8 Plus. Which I was surprised to see, I though they'd be pretty much the exact same and if anything the 8 plus slightly better, due to the lwoer res screen, and not having all the FaceID cameras activated, etc...but the tests seem to be showing the X getting much better battery life than the 8 Plus.

Sort off topic, but the OnePlus 5 is almost always the battery champion in these videos, which I was a little surprised at. And the iPhone X always coming in second place.

Battery size are super close;

- iPhone X = 2716mAh battery
- iPhone 8 Plus = 2691mAh battery

I thought with the lower res screen on the 8 Plus it would do better than the X, worse case the same as the X. But these tests are showing the X to be significantly batter for the X over the 8 Plus by 20%, which I find very surprising.

I thought with the lower res screen on the 8 Plus it would do better than the X, worse case the same as the X. But these tests are showing the X to be significantly batter for the X over the 8 Plus by 20%, which I find very surprising.

Even Apple's official numbers say the 8+ should have slightly better battery life than the X. Granted, I think they claim something like an hour more talk time with everything else being a wash.

While the X has a higher resolution screen, its also an OLED display which very likely draws less power than the LCD panel in the 8 Plus. I know that the new A11 Bionic chip is quite a bit more power efficient since the new 8 models have smaller batteries than the previous 7 series generation; yet they last quite a bit longer. I believe Apple claimed 2 hours longer battery life on the X than the regular 7 which makes me believe we should be right around 8 Plus territory - maybe slightly higher.

Sort off topic, but the OnePlus 5 is almost always the battery champion in these videos, which I was a little surprised at.

Why a surprise? OnePlus devices have always had outstanding battery life - the OnePlus One regularly gave me 12+ hours of SOT without even breaking a sweat, like multiple days in a row without any issues whatsoever but then again the Snapdragon 801 in it (just a slightly modified 800) was and still is a damned awesome SoC and the 1920x1080 IPS panel in it was incredibly efficient along with the heavily optimized CyanogenOS for it too.

Battery life has never been something I've seen folks complain about with respect to OnePlus devices, can't imagine why the next one (still rumored to be called the 5T) would be any different.

Even though the iPhone X does have an OLED panel in it - much more efficient with per-pixel power requirements and no backlight sucking down power anytime the display is "on" - the problem is that most everything in the OS itself is BRIGHT WHITE with black text and that's bad for OLED tech in both terms of power usage (white is fully powered) but also the potential for burn in (since pure white means the OLED pixel is using it's max power and that's what shortens the overall lifespan of the pixel).

While I don't know for sure if the iPhone X has some "dark theme" I would highly suggest using it or finding some way to customize things so you're having a lot more dark aspects on that OLED panel to ensure it lasts a long time and avoid max brightness and bright colors as much as possible.

Has nothing to do with it being an Apple device, it's just OLED technology that suffers and nobody is going to be able to stop that from happening regardless of who makes it (Samsung made the panel for Apple as I understand it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether an OLED draws more power than LCD still depends on how much white is on the screen. For videos it's in OLED's favour but the common web page has a lot of text on white backgrounds which is better for LCD.

Given Apple helped perpetuate that trend against people like me who prefer white on dark backgrounds, it'll be nice as the trend reverses to help the iPhone X

At Best Buy I tested the X and did that invert colors setting to give it the black background, and it actually worked pretty damn well. iMessage the Phone and Contacts and Settings menu all were pitch black with the rest of everything the typical iPhone colors, and it didn't look weird or reversed strange-looking, it actually was almost a true dark mode

Not a valid test. The iPhone kills the Note 8 in actual performance test like rendering a video.

Boot up times speed test, LOL I don't give a fuck how long it takes my phone to boot up, as long as it's fast and smooth once on. I reboot my phone maybe twice a week, so testing how fast it boots is meaningless to me.

Multi tasking is most important, as along as you cna switch back and forth between like 30 apps held in memory in a bling of an eye is actual use.

The iPhone kills the Note 8 in actual performance test like rendering a video.

Funny 'cause I didn't see any really noticeable instances of the Note8 being killed in that video, nor the one I posted either - the Geekbench one I dismiss anyway as bogus but with respect to the scores shown in your video they're not all that far apart and that's just one test which I consider as suspect to begin with.

Funny 'cause I didn't see any really noticeable instances of the Note8 being killed in that video, nor the one I posted either - the Geekbench one I dismiss anyway as bogus but with respect to the scores shown in your video they're not all that far apart and that's just one test which I consider as suspect to begin with.

You blind? Or you didn't watch that video and see how far behind the Note 8 got with the rendering of the video. Here is a snip. Round 1, iPhone slaughtered it due to the video rendering which actually shows the performance of the phone, where Round 2 due to a few apps that had to refresh on the iPhone. Every day use, the iPhone will stay smooth while the Note 8 won't.

And geekbench you dismiss because its bogus?!?! Are you in denial?

note8vsiphonex.JPG

I provide a video link that purportedly shows the iPhone X being trounced, you provide a video link that purportedly shows the Note8 getting trounced, it's a draw.

But I'll say this: if the Note8 was using a display panel with the same resolution, well, it would run circles around the iPhone X. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back