Apple Introduces the 15‑inch MacBook Air

erek

[H]F Junkie
Still just an M2, everybody really just wants the M3 Ultra

1080p FaceTime HD Camera and Six-Speaker Sound System
The 1080p FaceTime HD camera on MacBook Air is perfect for FaceTime calls and video conferencing. Combined with the processing power of the advanced image signal processor on M2, users will look great on video calls. A three-mic array captures clean audio using advanced beamforming algorithms, so users come through loud and clear on video calls.

The design of the new 15-inch MacBook Air also features a phenomenal new six-speaker sound system with two tweeters and two sets of force-cancelling woofers. The new speakers deliver twice the bass depth for fuller sound, and Spatial Audio with support for Dolby Atmos provides immersive experiences whether listening to music or watching movies.

Powerful Productivity with macOS
macOS Ventura takes the Mac experience to a whole new level that helps users achieve even more. Messages and Mail are better than ever, while Safari - the world's fastest browser on Mac - ushers in a passwordless future with passkeys. Continuity Camera brings video conferencing features to any Mac, including Desk View, Center Stage, and Studio Light. Stage Manager automatically organizes apps and windows, so users can concentrate on the task at hand and still see everything in a single glance. With iCloud Shared Photo Library, users can create and share a separate photo library among up to six family members, and the Freeform app provides a flexible canvas that enables users to be even more productive and expressive. Users can work effortlessly across Mac and iPhone with Continuity features like Handoff, AirDrop, Universal Clipboard, and Messages.

macOS Sonoma, coming this fall, makes the Mac experience more delightful and productive than ever, including new ways to personalize with widgets and stunning screen savers, an optimized gaming experience with Game Mode, powerful video conferencing capabilities, a big update to Safari, and more.

Better for the Environment
The new MacBook Air is designed with the environment in mind, now using 100 percent recycled gold plating and tin soldering in multiple printed circuit boards, and 100 percent recycled rare earth elements in all magnets. MacBook Air also features 100 percent recycled cobalt in the MagSafe connector and 90 percent recycled steel in the battery tray. MacBook Air meets Apple's high standards for energy efficiency, and is free of mercury, PVC, and beryllium. Over 99 percent of the packaging is fiber based, bringing Apple closer to its goal of completely removing plastic from its packaging by 2025.

Today, Apple is carbon neutral for global corporate operations, and is focused on its Apple 2030 goal to make every product carbon neutral. This means every Mac Apple creates, from design to manufacturing to customer use, will have net-zero climate impact.

Pricing and Availability
  • The 15-inch MacBook Air with M2 is available to order today on apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app. It will begin arriving to customers, and in Apple Store locations and Apple Authorized Resellers, beginning Tuesday, June 13.
  • The 15-inch MacBook Air with M2, available in midnight, starlight, silver, and space gray, starts at $1,299 (U.S.) and $1,199 (U.S.) for education.
  • The 13-inch MacBook Air with M2, available in midnight, starlight, silver, and space gray, now starts at $1,099 (U.S.) and $999 (U.S.) for education.
  • The 13-inch MacBook Air with M1, available in gold, silver, and space gray, remains in the lineup, starting at $999 (U.S.) and $899 (U.S.) for education.”
1686003118896.jpeg

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/309651/apple-introduces-the-15-inch-macbook-air

That's great. I'm not going to buy this one either :p

At this point I don't care what else they launch. The 2010 iPhone 4 will remain my last Apple product.

I don't want that scuba mask they just released either. :p

Still just an M2, everybody really just wants the M3 Ultra
Apple would probably be happy if they could just take delivery of the M3 chips they commissioned in October of last year.

But I would love to see what they classify as "Net Zero" because you need to expend energy to change the state of any material new or recycled, so unless they have found a way to magically pull the emissions and waste products that process produces out of the environment then there can't be a "Net Zero" impact because that would imply a form of perpetual motion where they have found a way to change material states with no waste.*

This is me being prickly on the very loose terminology surrounding current environmental policy, they have so many loopholes and re-definitions that nothing really means anything and that is a sore point for me.

Reactions: erek
like this
But I would love to see what they classify as "Net Zero"
Usually it is buying as much credit carbon that your own emission to end at a net zero.

Markets being quite controversial and hard to actually set, some sell credit carbon by selling trees being planted, when journalist go see those forest 10 years after it is not always pretty (the buyer do not actually care about the forest and the sellers gain by overclaiming).

Sometime credit carbon can be gained by not constructed something you pretend you would have (and claim how much emission it would have been), again both the seller and buyer are happy if the claim is too high and no has to gain to validate it.

iPhone and Mac working together seamlessly has been almost life changing. Apple TV is amazing as well.

Enjoying your kool-aid? Nothing life changing about anything Apple has ever made. They just take what others are doing, make it prettier, thinner, shinier and slap a 3x price tag on it.

Their ecosystem can't do anything I can't, while I can do it on my terms, and don't have to deal with walled gardens.

I don't need or want any hand holding automation to things for me.

If I have to color within the lines, I don't want it. If I can't upgrade my hardware at will, I don't want it.

I don't want limited functionality consumer devices. I want full customizability and general purpose computing, and I will accept no substitute regardless of who makes it.

Last edited:
Their ecosystem can't do anything I can't, while I can do it on my terms, and don't have to deal with walled gardens.

I don't need or want any hand holding automation to things for me.

If I have to color within the lines, I don't want it. If I can't upgrade my hardware at will, I don't want it.

I don't want limited functionality consumer devices. I want full customizability and general purpose computing, and I will accept no substitute regardless of who makes it.
All just perspective.

If I have manage anything, I don’t want it. If I’m having to spend more time acting as an IT person rather than a creative, I don’t want it.

If Linux could be installed seamlessly by pressing the next button for morons and did all the automation and didn’t break everything from a driver or software update I’d probably move to it daily too. But we’re not there yet so I don’t.

Nothing is designed for everyone. That’s why having choice in the market is good.

Back