Apple Claims WikiLeaks’ CIA Vault 7 'Dark Matter' iOS And Mac Exploits Are Outdated

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
...and Wikileaks doesn't quite agree. As we reported when the CIA Wikileaks Vault 7 dump first broke, the dump contained several exploits for various Apple devices. In fact, CIA has a team dedicated solely to iOS devices. Apple is claiming that all of these exploits are outdated and no longer useful, but there is some disagreement regarding EFI exploits.

In the case of Apple devices, the CIA has its own dedicated team within the Mobile Device Branch (MDB) that specializes in exploiting iOS-based devices like the iPhone and the iPad. “The disproportionate focus on iOS may be explained by the popularity of the iPhone among social, political, diplomatic and business elites,” said WikiLeaks when it initially revealed its “Vault 7” leak to the world.

Apple: "No no! Those are all outdated! We Fixed all those exploits! I promise we have ALL NEW exploits for the CIA to use!"

My point being - those exploits are only there in the first place because the CIA paid Apple (And Microsoft, Google, CISCO, and other IT companies) to put them there (in the first batch of Vault 7 wikileaks)...

I don't know what wikileaks' point is. No shit the CIA has spying tools, and will continue to develop them.

They're a spy agency. They spy.

I don't know what wikileaks' point is. No shit the CIA has spying tools, and will continue to develop them.

They're a spy agency. They spy.
No point to a incompetent spy agency that leaks all of their tools and methods either. Even worse it puts the security of US companies in jeopardy and compromises the entire purpose of the agency. Either by pushing to have these exploits built in or they are found out and then not disclosing it to the companies seems rather backwards to me.

Uh huh
You say that now

Before snowden you would have been told to put tinfoil hats.
In addition, most of the news is that they do massive dragnets/mass infections of US persons, not that they spy at all.

Uh huh
You say that now

Before snowden you would have been told to put tinfoil hats.

The capabilities of the CIA, the spy agency in the worlds superpower, should have been assumed by everyone to be pretty darned complete. To think otherwise is wildly naive. If they couldn't break into most systems, they'd be a pretty awful spy agency. We're a long way from analog phones with a wire running into a flowerpot.

Let's differentiate tools from policies. I am saying our spy agency OBVIOUSLY has such tools, and obviously, they need them to do their job. What is far less obvious is why they think their job now entails mass survelliance of US Citizens. I don't agree with that sort of action. The tools they have should be used in very targeted cases for specific "actors" as they call them. Not my teenage son, or the old lady across the street.

Back