Apple and Others Mining Data Shared by Facebook

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Certainly Apple's Tim Cook has been very outspoken and critical of all of Facebook's data sharing and selling woes here in the recent months, that is why this headline at the New York Times, Facebook Gave Device Makers Deep Access to Data on Users and Friends, is extremely interesting. Seems as though more than a few tech companies have been getting a deep dive into your Facebook data regardless of permissions. Oopsie.

Some device partners can retrieve Facebook users’ relationship status, religion, political leaning and upcoming events, among other data. Tests by The Times showed that the partners requested and received data in the same way other third parties did.

Facebook’s view that the device makers are not outsiders lets the partners go even further, The Times found: They can obtain data about a user’s Facebook friends, even those who have denied Facebook permission to share information with any third parties.

DXIoBcjVMAAcVhy.jpg

They've all gotten so comfortable with harvesting, selling and buying our data that there can be no self policing.

Hoping that future laws can truly address these issues, and not just nibble at the problem from around the edges.

Zuckerberg's non-apologies make me sick, break up or shake up his little empire already.

i would be interested in how much financial compensation FB got for this "feature" from the various companies

I would like credit card companies not to sell my data, but it's probably a lost cause. ISP and Microsoft as well. Then I would also like reform on selling Facebook data, but it's lower on my list and there's a fatigue point.

If I get a ZTE or Huawei phone will they block other data thieves and competitors? heh

If this doesn't kill Facebook (hint: it won't), nothing will.

nothing will.

Ethical or not, they've helped provide the most efficient means for too many people, industries, governments, and special interest groups to get what they need for little or no money. Even if they do get taken down, the proven models have been built, copied and possibly improved upon. The advantage of face is at least it's in our face, others are much less likely to promote themselves unless they have to.

The problem is that it is such and addiction for most people they just "can't quit using facebook". This crap is disgusting and scary all at the same time. They are #1 using your life to proift on and #2 ruining people's lives with no regard. Then they turn it into a nanny state where you can only say and do things according to the companies views. Its a cesspool to begin with.
Even when I removed as much personal information as possible I know whatever I had on there before is still part of their DB and we can't get rid of that information......

I'll make a shoot from the hip prediction:

1. They'll be fined in some way.
2. Their stock will take a hit.
3. They'll recover pretty quick.
4. Everyone will forget about it.
5. Another instance will occur.
6. Rinse, repeat.

I'll make a shoot from the hip prediction:

1. They'll be fined in some way.
2. Their stock will take a hit.
3. They'll recover pretty quick.
4. Everyone will forget about it.
5. Another instance will occur.
6. Rinse, repeat.

Totally agree. Seems to work for just about everyone these days. Why wouldn't it for them?

Totally agree. Seems to work for just about everyone these days. Why wouldn't it for them?
Completely agree, and the reason behind it is because there is too much money to be made from it and its potential. The Government will make a spectacle of it and fine them to make it look like they are " for the people" but really its just a way for them to get into some more of that money.

Back