AOC Q2770PQU

Received it today, it glows normally and the color temperature was pre-set to Warm. Checked out PixPerAn and Test UFO quickly, the default Medium response time setting is quite comparable to the BL2710PT and VP2770.

When you say it glows normally do you mean the glow is equivalent to the bl2710pt and vp2770 et all ? if so then I guess the glow just doesn't bother me that much or maybe turning the brightness way down reduces the glow ?

When you say it glows normally do you mean the glow is equivalent to the bl2710pt and vp2770 et all?

Yes. Brightness ranges from 75.5-306.4 with 950:1 contrast which drops to 850:1 after calibration. My units color temperature was pre-set to the Warm mode (measured 6100k and sRGB like gamma) like =DEAD='s and PC Monitors. I've checked a few full screen colors and only red showed minor color uniformity issues (right side is slightly darker), pretty sure it is light bleed free as well.

When you say it glows normally do you mean the glow is equivalent to the bl2710pt and vp2770 et all ? if so then I guess the glow just doesn't bother me that much or maybe turning the brightness way down reduces the glow ?

That and not all panels are created exactly equal. The Q2770 I tested was typical in that it had 1 corner that had a feint silver sheen (glow), but atypical in that the severity was very moderate.

NCX usually seems to quote glow levels at a very close level to the display, so I think it's fair to say he's being critical. He's a professional critic so he needs to find ways to differentiate products that are so alike it's hard to choose. My immediate reaction to the Q2770 was to call it glow free. Since then, I've had a look at 2 other displays, 1 an S-IPS with typical moderate silver glow in one corner, and a QNIX I feel comfortable calling glow free, which I've just sold. Your definition of glow free may change or shift but mine is made from a regular comfortable viewing distance and these pictures are as well. I don't think putting your face really close to the monitor to see if there is glow at extreme angles makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
I tend to push these a bit far back - haven't formally meaure but I think they are close to 3 feet from eye. No clue if that is consider close or far (relative to other usage); anyways I'm happy with them. In fact my only real complaint might be that the oneI use for gaming is too large.

I was mostly asking about glow for a frame of reference.

Btw Bluesun311 I think my monitor has a bit less glow than yours. I only see the shimmer in your picture at an off angle (like when I stand up) when the screen is mostly black; on the other one I never see it.

Yah my AOC had that silver glow just like in the picture. I don't feel so bad for sending it back now. I've looked at so many monitors in the past few months they all run together. That Qnix I posted a picture of below the AOC is pretty black, though--asside from the few little spots of bleed. The Qnix is a pretty good monitor if it is assembled correctly.

The corners (left side is worse) glow when viewing it head on from 50cm away. My glow free Qnix has spoiled me.

So, is this panel better overall than the VP2770?

I have the dark corner issue in my VP2770 as well. Its nice to finally see people noticing and discussing that issue, as I usually have no luck when I bring it up myself (people act like I'm crazy or something). The lighting in my room is very good, and I can still notice it on my display. There's an eraser sized light-discolored blotch near the bottom right too, in addition to the dark corner. It's going back today.

Also, on the QNIX: I have a QNIX2710LED monitor right behind me sitting on the couch. From my experience with it, it was not glow free. The glow wasn't as pronounced as it was in my MX279H (which had such terrible glow that I ended up returning it for that reason alone), but it was there.

The AOC is significantly cheaper and has better calibrated image quality while both have good but different color presets. The AOC has photo friendly, preset sRGB gamma while the VP2770 aims for 2.22, movie friendly, gamma. Pixel response timea are quite similar.

How does the glow-free Eizo's highest overdrive setting compare to the "advanced" overdrive setting for the VP2770?

I have mine on that "advanced" setting for my VP2770. I do not notice any overshot.

My understanding from other posts is the vp2770 is a bit more of a lottery esp with regards to bleed (please correct me if I am mistaken). Pretty much everyone on this forum has gotten a consistent AOC (no bleed; dark right corner; minimal but some glow ...).

So far I've been testing the monitor using display port only which seems to work fine. I connected it using dual link DVI today and I'm seeing some strange behavior and I'm not sure if it's a defective DVI port.

When I first boot up the computer into windows and load windows it will display the desktop. Then it will flash black for a few seconds before displaying the desktop again. This also happens when I put the computer to sleep and wake it up again.

Can someone with this monitor connected via dual link DVI do some quick tests for me? Does it go black for a few seconds after showing the desktop? If you put the computer to sleep, wait for the computer to fully go into sleep (fans stop spinning and monitor goes into standby), and wake it up does it go black for a few seconds after showing the desktop?

Thanks

Can someone with this monitor connected via dual link DVI do some quick tests for me? Does it go black for a few seconds after showing the desktop? If you put the computer to sleep, wait for the computer to fully go into sleep (fans stop spinning and monitor goes into standby), and wake it up does it go black for a few seconds after showing the desktop?

Thanks

What OS? I am using Windows 7 Pro and it does not do what you describe. FWIW, I am using an Nvidia video card which has two ports. Turn everything off and try another video port if you have one. Make sure the cable is seated well in the monitor. It's a little hard to get to. Try another cable if you can. Make sure the monitor says DVI when it first starts up.

The AOC is significantly cheaper and has better calibrated image quality while both have good but different color presets. The AOC has photo friendly, preset sRGB gamma while the VP2770 aims for 2.22, movie friendly, gamma. Pixel response timea are quite similar.

Since the VP2770 has a measured input lag of 7 ms (PRAD's measurement), would that make it better for playing videogames than this AOC? Also, is the "dark corner" affect any better on this AOC than on the Viewsonic?

Since the VP2770 has a measured input lag of 7 ms (PRAD's measurement), would that make it better for playing video games than this AOC? Also, is the "dark corner" affect any better on this AOC than on the Viewsonic?

Only if you are super sensitive to input lag. The AOC and Viewsonic's I used didn't have dark corners.

I contacted Amazon on Saturday about the issue just in case and got a replacement monitor today. The new one has the same behavior so I think it's probably caused by my video card or something.

The new one has very little/no BLB either and no dead pixels. There's one pixel on the top left that's a bit off under white/grey backgrounds but it's very minor. Uniformity is again very good and blows away all the Dells I've tried.

Both have the same silver sheen on the bottom left caused by PLS glow. I thought I won the panel lottery with my first AOC but it looks like they just have pretty consistent quality control.

Only if you are super sensitive to input lag. The AOC and Viewsonic's I used didn't have dark corners.

What panel does your AOC have? I saw three in a row that all had the same dark corner area.

New VP2770's have dark corners. I had 2012 model with great quality. Tried 3 more this year - each had dark corners and a very nasty red tint.

New VP2770's have dark corners. I had 2012 model with great quality. Tried 3 more this year - each had dark corners and a very nasty red tint.

I do notice a very small dark right corner on my VP2770 (received in April), but it is very minor. I have not noticed a significant red tint to my monitor, but I do not have much to compare it against except my overly blue MacBook Pro. I'd say whites look significantly more neutral on my VP2770 than my older Mac and my old 2007WFP, but both those screens have a strong blue tint (especially the now 8-year old 2007WFP), so it is not a great comparison. It is better than a U2412m I tried earlier this year, which had a terrible yellow tint to everything. My monitor may have a slight red tint to it, that has been reported before by NCX, but it seems many monitors have some kind of minor tint on whites with a few exceptions. Overall I've actually been extremely happy with the colors on my VP2770.

Looking at pictures of the dark corners visible on the AOC, I'd say my VP2770 is slightly better. But I'd actually need to see them side-by-side to compare accurately.

Last edited:
Most of the PLS panels seem to have pre-set red tints while the AOC is yellowish. Mine was made in March, 2014 and is free from light bleed but the left corner seems to glow far more than the right. Need to stick my colorimeter in the left corners to see if the black level is much higher. Measured screen uniformity is pretty good and it's easy to see the color accuracy difference (99.8% sRGB coverage) after calibration compared to my Qnix (97% sRGB coverage). It's definitely as fast as the VP2770 and BL2710PT, but there is some minor overshoot in tests, nothing to worry about though and I can't stand obvious overshoot ghosting.

The new Samsung S27D850T is more interesting though since it might be glow free,but I expect it to cost 750$-800$. If it isn't glow free then it will likely only be marginally better than the AOC.

Last edited:
Where is the manufactor date et all on the AOC? I can check them when I get home. Every now and then I see glow but as I've said before I have no complaint and definitely hard for me to imagin the Eizo being worth $400 more. Now if these things don't last 3 or 4 years I might feel differently. They run a heck of a lot cooler than myold 2209wa which is a big bonus.

Where is the manufactor date et all on the AOC? I can check them when I get home. Every now and then I see glow but as I've said before I have no complaint and definitely hard for me to imagin the Eizo being worth $400 more. Now if these things don't last 3 or 4 years I might feel differently. They run a heck of a lot cooler than myold 2209wa which is a big bonus.

You can easily see it on the AOC in a complete dark room and displaying a black background. There will be white glow on the bottom left and this shows up on both AOCs I have.

If you have the lights on it's difficult to see even on a black background. I don't think I would pay $250 - $300 more for no glow. It might be worth it for those with multi monitor since they would have the monitors angled which would result in more glow.

I bought my AOC Q2270PQU month ago and I'm happy with my copy of the monitor (no bad pixels, good respones times, no ghosting on medium override) but in fact it has a little warmer left side of the screen and cooler right side:

DSC_0325.jpg

It's poor quality phone-made photo but small red tint on the left side is noticeable. I have no problem with that in normal using like gaming, working, movies etc. Black is good with small glowing in bottom left but only when sitting near monitor.

In completely dark room (brightness 15%):

DSC_0316.jpg

In my normal using conditions:

DSC_0315.jpg

It looks like the monitor has minimal blb near bottom left corner but it's not a problem at all for me (and I don't notice it) after what I have gone through with my previous monitor (Iiyama XB2779QS - terrible blb in 5 (!!!) copies of the monitor in a row - finally I got full refund and bought AOC).

Here's example of one of my previous Iiyama's models (brightness set to 20%):

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

Sorry for my English but it's not my native language..

Hey guys, first time poster long time lurker. I'm upgrading from a dell 2001fp. Is there a difference in the two panels used for these. Tft has this listed 27"WS Samsung PLS (LTM270DL02 (early production) or LTM270DL06-N01 (as of June 2014))
And I was wondering if anyone knew the difference if there was one or if it's too early to tell.

Buy one and find out :p

the "N01" is shared by the EV2736W - this new version perhaps has no IPS glow ? Would be certainly interesting to find out. Possibly too early to source an updated model though.

cables in usa is very slim; no usb no display port; has dvi and vga as well as power.

Well I'll buy one eventually and am aiming for a new build / total work space revision in the fall. Tempted to buy the monitor now though my 6970 is finally starting to show it's age and I think the extra pixels may make it obsolute.
I'll look at the reviews for the ev2736w to see whats up.

Pure PC Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)

My Review

My back-light pictures, make sure to click on them to view larger versions.

I thought I would really like the AOC even though it only marginally improves on other monitors performance, but I think the BL2710PT might be a better choice since a few people reported getting versions with high contrast (1100:1) in the standard mode and it has more balanced overdrive. The AOC's Medium overdrive setting is faster than all of the 1440p monitors I've used but it suffers from some slight overshoot ghosting. When the overdrive is set to weak it is pretty much the same as my 2720MDP, both of which are slightly slower than the BL2710PT. The left side of my AOC exhibits far more glow than the right when viewed from less than 90cm/3ft way, and I can't explain why. I measured the left corners luminance and it was pretty much the same as the center, and it is bleed free.

The gamma follows an sRGB curve like the BL2710PT's (gamma 2), but the BL2710PT's preset colors (Standard Mode) are slightly better and the contrast is quite comparable. My AOC has 950:1 contrast before calibration but the left sides glow makes the perceived black level look lighter than the BL2710PT I tested when using the Standard mode. Both trade blows performance wise and I prefer the AOC's aesthetics, but prefer the BenQ's overall performance, plus it is 100$ cheaper in Canada. If the left side glowed normally I would prefer the AOC. Viewsonic needs to drop the price of the VP2770, especially since it has inferior video playback features.

A glow free AOC would easily be the best multi-input, matte (semi-glossy) 1440p monitor. Until this happens, the EV2736W is still the best, but the most expensive out of the 'affordable' (sub 1000$) options along with the glossy Crossover 2720MDP.

Best 2560x1440 Monitor thread.

Last edited:
Did you have both the BL2710PT and the AOC side by side when comparing glow? I spent a week or two comparing both monitors when they went on sale for $499. The AOC had a stronger white glow on the bottom left side, but the BenQ had a stronger glow on the bottom right side. This is with viewing both monitors head on around 2 feet away. Neither monitor had any back light bleeding.

Did you have both the BL2710PT and the AOC side by side when comparing glow?

No, don't need to since I used the BL2710PT for a few months and had no problem using it in the dark with bias lighting (1300 lumen 6500k/Daylight CFL) while the AOC irritates me with the lights on.

Though there are some other monitors worth considering I think I'm going to stick with the AOC. My 2001fp is isp and glows hard so I'm used to it. One thing I don't like is backlight bleed as when playing dark games it is usually very noticable and at times can change the color of things. My current monitor has 2 dead pixels, one right in the middle and one off to the corner, I hardly ever see them unless I try hard.
Samsung recently sponsored my work place so now the Asus ips, are replaced by some Samsung's with a pls panel. Not sure if it's the same as the panel in the AOC but I will check. They are all very uniform, little glow and no backlight bleed to mention. And this is viewed in a very dark room. My complaint with them is that out of the box they're so damn bright its eye piercing and it's a little reddish overall, both easy fixes.

@NCX where did yuo buy your AOC ? There is rumour that some of them use a second panel. I suspect mine are like yours (I purchase them at B&H); i.e, the left side has glow but the glow really doesn't exist when there is active black (does that make sense; I'm not sure of the correct term); it does exist when there is passive black and so I really only see it when I'm getting ready to lock the screen or starting a game. I have the gaming monitor turned at 30 degree so most of the subtle glow is on the right side (the gaming monitor is on the right the work monitor on the left); I have both set to 10% or 5% brightness and default contrast (in case that is the reason glow is weak on mine) and default warm setting.
-
Also the work monitor is approx 2 1/2 feet back and the gaming monitor is nearly 3 feet back. Anyway I find them better than the 2209wa and u2311 they replaced (the u2311 had modest amount of bleed but the kicker for me is that something was wrong with the colour gradiant - it was almost as if it couldn't dispaly all colours with good uniformity (it seems to lack certain gradiants) or maybe it just wasn't as close to proper calibration).
-
Anyways 'cept for size I'm pretty happy with AOC (though I can see how some people mightnot like the glow - I really don't think it is that bad; but if I ran these things at 50% or `100% brightness maybe it would be a lot worse).
-
I took a pair of images if you wnted to see what they looked like but don't see a method to upload them.

Last edited:
I'm used to a glossy screen. Unfortunately my Shimian just died and I'm temporarily using a Dell 2410 as a backup. The AG coating on this screen his horrible! How is it with the AOC? I can control my lighting so gloss wasn't a problem. However I'm having a tough time finding a good glossy 2560x1440 screen that is affordable.

Pultzar, I will be getting this monitor in the mail in a day or two, I have an old MacBook Pro with glossy screen, and I like it, I also have a laptop 17.3" matt screen, where the AG coating looks like the display is dirty.

Let me know if you want any pictures taken, to help you make up your mind.

Pultzar, I will be getting this monitor in the mail in a day or two, I have an old MacBook Pro with glossy screen, and I like it, I also have a laptop 17.3" matt screen, where the AG coating looks like the display is dirty.

Let me know if you want any pictures taken, to help you make up your mind.

Thanks! Your subjective opinion would be nice too :)

Ok I have used this monitor for a few hours now, I cant see any AG , this monitor makes my laptop screen look dirty. I could see from the start when comparing it to my pioneer kuro plasma, that the screen is a bit to warm, I need to calibrate it.

It is not as glossy as my macbook pro, but I must say I already love this monitor, and would recommend it to others.

Back