AOC Q2770PQU

I cranked mine up to 100% brightness for blacks and white to check. My room is not completely dark as the sun is coming up. I didn't notice any darkness except for a tiny bit in the bottom right corner and a very faint difference in the bottom left corner. By tiny, it's not as big as an almond but a bit bigger than a pea. My brightness is set at 30 and my Win 7 task bar covers it so I don't even see it during normal use. I do have some IPS glow on the right towards bottom, but it's a tad brighter.

As far as 2 goes, how far back are you sitting as this monitor isn't supposed to be overly bright according to a couple of reviews.

What are you debating? Testing it again, a swap or a different brand monitor?

I sit anywhere from 18" to 26" away depending on use. Over the past week I haven't set the brightness above zero, and in the evening, I have to reduce the contrast setting to reduce brightness to a level compatible with my room lighting. It's not a show-stopper, but for a new purchase it would be nice if it were right for me.

I haven't measured the luminance (plan to later today), but reviews peg it at about 70 cd/m2. My rMBP goes much, much darker (to maybe 1/5 the minimum brightness of the Q2770PQU) so that it's comfortable even in a pitch-black room.

My white-screen photo above reveals a gradient from center toward the edges, similar to the reviews. I don't really notice the gradient on the left side, which is good, but I do notice the right side regularly. The minor 1/4" darkening of the corners is of no consequence to me but there is a larger region with a quick transition from light to dark. It would be nice to have a unit without that, because the AOC is otherwise really good. Uniformity seems to be a crapshoot on all edge-lit panels, even pro models like the U2713H.

I'm debating whether to ask for another AOC or to fall-back to the BL2710PT. The BL2710PT is reported to go down into the mid 40's cd/m2 in Standard mode (according to TFTcentral), but Standard mode has the color channels turned down and therefore shows lower contrast--in other words, I can turn down the contrast adjustment on the AOC for the same effect. Its uniformity doesn't sound exceptionally good, either. I think NCX measured 65 cd/m2 on the BenQ which is pretty much the same as the AOC.

Last edited:
I sit anywhere from 18" to 26" away depending on use. Over the past week I haven't set the brightness above zero, and in the evening, I have to reduce the contrast setting to reduce brightness to a level compatible with my room lighting. It's not a show-stopper, but for a new purchase it would be nice if it were right for me.

I haven't measured the luminance (plan to later today), but reviews peg it at about 70 cd/m2. My rMBP goes much, much darker (to maybe 1/5 the minimum brightness of the Q2770PQU) so that it's comfortable even in a pitch-black room.

My white-screen photo above reveals a gradient from center toward the edges, similar to the reviews. I don't really notice the gradient on the left side, which is good, but I do notice the right side regularly. The minor 1/4" darkening of the corners is of no consequence to me but there is a larger region with a quick transition from light to dark. It would be nice to have a unit without that, because the AOC is otherwise really good. Uniformity seems to be a crapshoot on all edge-lit panels, even pro models like the U2713H.

I'm debating whether to ask for another AOC or to fall-back to the BL2710PT. The BL2710PT is reported to go down into the mid 40's cd/m2 in Standard mode (according to TFTcentral), but Standard mode has the color channels turned down and therefore shows lower contrast--in other words, I can turn down the contrast adjustment on the AOC for the same effect. Its uniformity doesn't sound exceptionally good, either. I think NCX measured 65 cd/m2 on the BenQ which is pretty much the same as the AOC.

I had never looked at minimum luminance since I work in a fairly bright area. Out of curiosity I looked at other 1440p reviews and 70 cd/m2 seems not very bad. The VP2770 only goes down to around 90 cd/m2 while the BL2710 can go a get a bit darker.

I had never looked at minimum luminance since I work in a fairly bright area. Out of curiosity I looked at other 1440p reviews and 70 cd/m2 seems not very bad. The VP2770 only goes down to around 90 cd/m2 while the BL2710 can go a get a bit darker.

The minimum value on the VP2770 is an interesting data point. Thanks. How much darker the BL2710PT goes is a bit of a question for me right now. NCX measured 65, but it's not clear what the settings were with that measurement. Other reviews using Standard mode quoted values in the 40s, which are probably that low because of the reduced contrast and not really representative of the native luminance range. I can get the AOC down into the 40s easily if I reduce the contrast, too. If the BenQ actually gets down that dim natively, that's compelling. Otherwise, I'll stick with the AOC.

I considered a pair of VS24AH-P monitors once, until I read the Overclockers review that measured a minimum luminance of 132 cd/m2 :)

From NCX's review at http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/14252-benq-bl2710pt-review-2560x1440-matte-ahva-auos-version-ips-pls.html#post1105527
10358564443_f93d2dc29d_o.png

Last edited:
For those that have this monitor, how is the coating? Grainy, sparkly? Is the monitor satisfactory for gaming (rpg, action, little fps)?

For those that have this monitor, how is the coating? Grainy, sparkly? Is the monitor satisfactory for gaming (rpg, action, little fps)?

I've used Ultrasharps for many years at work and know the sparkle effect very well. I don't see ANY on this monitor. It's a very night AG. Being Samsung PLS it doesn't have crosshatching either. The panel is LTM270DL02 which is also used in the Viewsonic VP2770, PB278Q, QNIX QX2710, and Dell XPS One 27. The only issue I can see is there are some artifacts in and near the lower corners.

Can't help on the motion, but I don't see any ghosting when scrolling.

Last edited:
The AOC looks interesting but the 2 reviews I could find (overclockers.ru and pcmonitors info) both showed less than stellar panel uniformity. I returned a few U2713HMs recently due to poor uniformity. When I had 2 windows side by side it was very obvious that one side of the monitor had a warmer color temperature.

If you own one of these AOCs do you see any color temperature uniformity issues? One easy way to check is using a test created for the iMac here

NCX measured 65, but it's not clear what the settings were with that measurement.

First sentence from the post my post you linked: Brightness was measured in the User mode when using the User Color Temperature Setting. I should have specified which RGB settings I used (I used the default settings=RGB: 100), but thought it was obvious at the time, but now I do not.

The VP2770's minimum brightness before calibration is around 90cdm/2. Those who do not calibrate or own a good calibrated monitor should not worry about reducing the contrast a bit to reduce the brightness.

For those worried about the minimum brightness, why not buy a brighter 6500k/Daylight CFL or LED light?

Last edited:
For those worried about the minimum brightness, why not buy a brighter 6520k/Daylight CFL or LED light?
This. It seems silly almost but raising the light ceiling in my room helped me with migraines.

The AOC looks interesting but the 2 reviews I could find (overclockers.ru and pcmonitors info) both showed less than stellar panel uniformity. I returned a few U2713HMs recently due to poor uniformity. When I had 2 windows side by side it was very obvious that one side of the monitor had a warmer color temperature.

If you own one of these AOCs do you see any color temperature uniformity issues? One easy way to check is using a test created for the iMac here

The pcmonitors.info unit had no significant deviation in colour temperature they said. Brightness was within 10% as well. I don't see how that's bad. :confused: Ok there was some deviation, could've been better. But I guess you have to pay more for guarantees with that sort of thing?

Btw swapping display port for vga cable fixed the audio problem; but now that I know the speakers work (they are pretty weak) I'm back to display port :)
-
I am curious the reiews above mention that as a complaint this monitor is ot overly briht yet I set brightness pretty low and it is plenty bright for myself. Am I missing something obvious ?

I am curious the reiews above mention that as a complaint this monitor is ot overly briht yet I set brightness pretty low and it is plenty bright for myself. Am I missing something obvious ?

I'm guessing you meant "not overly bright." It's not always clear how the colors are set on the monitors when these reviews measure luminance. Either they got a bad sample or they had the adjustments set funny. In user color mode 50/50/50 you'll get max brightness but a warmer than 6500K white point. If you use Normal or Cool or turn the contrast down the max luminance will be lower because the color channels are turned down.

Last edited:
The pcmonitors.info unit had no significant deviation in colour temperature they said. Brightness was within 10% as well. I don't see how that's bad. :confused: Ok there was some deviation, could've been better. But I guess you have to pay more for guarantees with that sort of thing?

There are three possibilities: 1) they got really lucky, 2) they measured it wrong, or 3) the sample was hand-picked. I tried three of them and all three had the exact same luminance and color pattern, all visible with the naked eye on a white screen, with varying amounts of max deviation (all around 20%). I ended up keeping the first one.

If you split the screen into 9 rectangles and measure only at the center, then uniformity will be good on paper because the darkest regions are very close to the edges. Of the two other monitors I tried from Amazon, one had the similar luminance uniformity but also had a dead pixel and an eraser-size dim blob just above it, while another was a bit over 20% darker. The review on overclockers.ru showed the same luminance pattern and similar numbers and also had similar numbers for the BL2710PT. The only difference was that the BL2710PT luminance gradient is oriented vertically instead of horizontally.

Mine has no obvious color shifting, as in "Oh my god it's defective" at first glance, but if you take a white window and drag it around the screen, then yes there is definitely some color shift, but not enough for me to notice or care in daily usage. Some of it comes from the angle and some of it is direct from the panel itself. The center is warmest on my example, but you have to be looking it to notice it.

My current thinking on uniformity is the following. I've now gone through 6 monitors of three brands that all have with uniformity "issues," and have used others at the office that also have noticeable non-uniformity, is that the display uniformity took a hit when manufacturers switched to LED edge-lighting. My previous monitors were all CCFL and had no noticeable artifacts, but all the LED ones have, as do other ones that I use but do not own. All the PLS monitors use the LTM270DL02 or DL06 and are darkest in the lower corners, whether it's an ASUS, Viewsonic, AOC, or Dell. They're also all made by Qisda (BenQ) anyway, so the only real differentiator is the case design, OSD, color mapping, etc. Backlight bleed can be caused by the chassis putting stress on the panel, so a flimsy or tight design (Dell) can be prone to it while a more rigid design that leaves room for the panel (AOC) will show it less.

If you care about this stuff enough to want something better than what's currently available in the $500 range, you are part of a small minority (that includes me) and need to find a threshold where it's good enough for your needs without driving you crazy. Otherwise you're going to exchange one monitor after another. Reviews that don't include a photo of the whole screen or only measure 9 sectors will not capture what you're likely to actually see. The next step up from here is compensated monitors like the U2713H, which have bad contrast when the compensation is turned on because the native panel uniformity is just as bad as all the others. Perhaps in the next several years the panel manufacturers will figure it out or compensation functions will find their way to mid-range monitors.

Last edited:
For those worried about the minimum brightness, why not buy a brighter 6500k/Daylight CFL or LED light?

Because bright 6500K CFL light is not pleasant at 2:00am!

There is a middle ground, though, which is turning up SOME ambient light (at a color temperature appropriate for night time use) and dropping the monitor's color temperature to match it. I use f.lux to do this automatically, and it has the added effect of dropping the luminance.

I stare at a lot of white backgrounds, though, so I'm getting pretty much full luminance all the time. If you're playing games or watching video your actual light exposure will be lower. So it depends on the usage case too.

Last edited:
I am learning a lot from various posts in this thread. I have been very pleased with it thus far. I don't have any calibration tools. Just looking at monitors for over 20 years. So I have to rely on feedback here and in other reviews for the particulars. Color accuracy is very good, OOB settings are almost spot on and 3 very easy changes to adjust it and being PWM free is a definite requirement for me. The USB hub ports work, albeit in an inconvenient location except for the one on the side. According to some reviews they are all USB 3.0 (and where the square end of the cable goes is blue) and others state it has two USB 2.0. I only use one for a receiver, but even in a poor location, it frees up a spot on top of my case. I love i-Menu and with it I can adjust the brightness based on the light in the room without fiddling with the buttons. The only thing I miss about spending a week with the Asus PB278Q is the ability to turn off the power light. Even my older 23" Viewsonic had that option. OTOH, the light is unobtrusive. The stand base is smaller than the Asus which I also prefer. Okay, so none of this is technical, but I appreciate the little details when I am considering a purchase.

I am enjoying using it and will perform an occasional bad pixel test in the future to make sure it doesn't develop any but unlike etooey I do not bother dragging a white screen around to see it's flaws. While I appreciate his knowledge and experience, I think the fact that he already swapped out a half dozen monitors means he's picky. And well he should be. And because he's picky, I didn't have to got through all of that.;) IMO, it's a great monitor overall given the price and versus what else is currently available.

There are three possibilities: 1) they got really lucky, 2) they measured it wrong, or 3) the sample was hand-picked. I tried three of them and all three had the exact same luminance and color pattern, all visible with the naked eye on a white screen, with varying amounts of max deviation (all around 20%). I ended up keeping the first one.

If you split the screen into 9 rectangles and measure only at the center, then uniformity will be good on paper because the darkest regions are very close to the edges. Of the two other monitors I tried from Amazon, one had the similar luminance uniformity but also had a dead pixel and an eraser-size dim blob just above it, while another was a bit over 20% darker. The review on overclockers.ru showed the same luminance pattern and similar numbers and also had similar numbers for the BL2710PT. The only difference was that the BL2710PT luminance gradient is oriented vertically instead of horizontally.

Mine has no obvious color shifting, as in "Oh my god it's defective" at first glance, but if you take a white window and drag it around the screen, then yes there is definitely some color shift, but not enough for me to notice or care in daily usage. Some of it comes from the angle and some of it is direct from the panel itself. The center is warmest on my example, but you have to be looking it to notice it.

My current thinking on uniformity is the following. I've now gone through 6 monitors of three brands that all have with uniformity "issues," and have used others at the office that also have noticeable non-uniformity, is that the display uniformity took a hit when manufacturers switched to LED edge-lighting. My previous monitors were all CCFL and had no noticeable artifacts, but all the LED ones have, as do other ones that I use but do not own. All the PLS monitors use the LTM270DL02 or DL06 and are darkest in the lower corners, whether it's an ASUS, Viewsonic, AOC, or Dell. They're also all made by Qisda (BenQ) anyway, so the only real differentiator is the case design, OSD, color mapping, etc. Backlight bleed can be caused by the chassis putting stress on the panel, so a flimsy or tight design (Dell) can be prone to it while a more rigid design that leaves room for the panel (AOC) will show it less.

If you care about this stuff enough to want something better than what's currently available in the $500 range, you are part of a small minority (that includes me) and need to find a threshold where it's good enough for your needs without driving you crazy. Otherwise you're going to exchange one monitor after another. Reviews that don't include a photo of the whole screen or only measure 9 sectors will not capture what you're likely to actually see. The next step up from here is compensated monitors like the U2713H, which have bad contrast when the compensation is turned on because the native panel uniformity is just as bad as all the others. Perhaps in the next several years the panel manufacturers will figure it out or compensation functions will find their way to mid-range monitors.

You had 3 samples of the AOC? Why did you exchange the first 2?

I'm not doing any color critical work but I often need to have windows side by side for coding with white/light backgrounds. The uniformity doesn't have to be perfect but the Dell samples I've tried were off enough to be distracting.

You had 3 samples of the AOC? Why did you exchange the first 2?

I'm not doing any color critical work but I often need to have windows side by side for coding with white/light backgrounds. The uniformity doesn't have to be perfect but the Dell samples I've tried were off enough to be distracting.

The first one was pixel-perfect but arrived with three scratches on the bezel. The AG coating had a subtle streak that didn't affect viewing but that was visible with the unit powered off in bright light. I also noticed the lower corners (especially the lower right) were a little darker than the rest of the panel. Given the three things I though I'd try my luck at another one.

The second one had an eraser-size smudged spot in the center where all the pixels looked a bit darker. Two inches below that was a bright dead/stuck pixel that appeared against certain colors (purple or brown for example) but not white or black, as if two of the subpixels were shorted to each other.

The third had no scratches or pixel defects but did show slightly more pronounced luminance non-uniformity in the lower right corner than the other two.

So I kept the first one and decided to live with the scratches (instead of being a d*ck and swapping bezels, for example).

All three had noticeable non-uniformity, partly because of the shape and steep gradient of the pattern (see my post from 5/16). It was the same pattern the Z24i's had (and they were also PLS panels), just less severe. The same pattern shows up on the VP2770, U2713HM, and S27B970D. The LG panels have a different luminance pattern but still have deviations. The AHVA panels just rotate the gradient 90 degrees. This seems common across the industry ever since the changeover to LED.

I think you're stuck exchanging them until you find one you can learn to live with, given manufacturers and the vast majority of users must not care about this issue (otherwise they'd never sell any monitors). A compensated monitor might be the answer, but that just trades one problem (poor uniformity) for another (poor contrast). The U2713H reviewed by overclockers.ru had worse uniformity than the AOC with compensation off and only slightly better with it turned on.

Which vendor did you use for your AOC ?

The first one was pixel-perfect but arrived with three scratches on the bezel. The AG coating had a subtle streak that didn't affect viewing but that was visible with the unit powered off in bright light. I also noticed the lower corners (especially the lower right) were a little darker than the rest of the panel. Given the three things I though I'd try my luck at another one.

The second one had an eraser-size smudged spot in the center where all the pixels looked a bit darker. Two inches below that was a bright dead/stuck pixel that appeared against certain colors (purple or brown for example) but not white or black, as if two of the subpixels were shorted to each other.

The third had no scratches or pixel defects but did show slightly more pronounced luminance non-uniformity in the lower right corner than the other two.

So I kept the first one and decided to live with the scratches (instead of being a d*ck and swapping bezels, for example).

All three had noticeable non-uniformity, partly because of the shape and steep gradient of the pattern (see my post from 5/16). It was the same pattern the Z24i's had (and they were also PLS panels), just less severe. The same pattern shows up on the VP2770, U2713HM, and S27B970D. The LG panels have a different luminance pattern but still have deviations. The AHVA panels just rotate the gradient 90 degrees. This seems common across the industry ever since the changeover to LED.

I think you're stuck exchanging them until you find one you can learn to live with, given manufacturers and the vast majority of users must not care about this issue (otherwise they'd never sell any monitors). A compensated monitor might be the answer, but that just trades one problem (poor uniformity) for another (poor contrast). The U2713H reviewed by overclockers.ru had worse uniformity than the AOC with compensation off and only slightly better with it turned on.

etooey mentioned in another thread that he purchased from Amazon.

I just ordered one to see how it is. Hopefully I'll have better luck compared to the Dells I've tried recently. Price came out to $600 after taxes. Refurbished U2713HMs are ~$450 after taxes and if you have issues with it you'll get a new replacement (with refurbished 90 day warranty instead of 3 years of course).

etooey mentioned in another thread that he purchased from Amazon.

I just ordered one to see how it is. Hopefully I'll have better luck compared to the Dells I've tried recently. Price came out to $600 after taxes. Refurbished U2713HMs are ~$450 after taxes and if you have issues with it you'll get a new replacement (with refurbished 90 day warranty instead of 3 years of course).

Did you receive it yet?

I picked up 2 from B&H ( 2 weeks apart) and both appear to be spotless without dead pixel. Both appear to have the same dimming in the lower right corner. The one on the windows box appear to be dimmer (if i hook it up to the linux box then it appears to be the same brightness) and I'm curious if the colour profile or electronic (via program) settings are somehow accounting for this difference. Mind you both of them are excessively bright at max. Really no complaints 'cept that I'm kind of use to a smaller dispaly for the gaming (windows) box; oh and i pushed it back a bit - i guess 4 or 5 feet.

Did you receive it yet?

Yeah I got it and have been using it for a couple of days now. No dead/stuck pixels or dust issues. I didn't see any backlight bleeding but to be fair I didn't see any from the 3 Dell U2713HM samples I tried either. Maybe the name brand manufacturers are getting a handle on this. The color uniformity is above average but the display is noticeably darker on the right side.

I've also tested the HDMI in with an Xbox 360 and it looks pretty good even with interpolated 1080p. The sound will come out of the speakers which aren't great or through the audio out on the back of the monitor.

The biggest unknown for me is AOC itself. They're traditionally a budget manufacturer and this monitor is the most expensive one they sell. I have no idea how good their build quality is or their service. Their website states that warranty for North America on this monitor is 1 year for the panel and 2 years for parts and labor. It does seem that you'll have to pay shipping to send it to them too.

By comparison Dell/HP will overnight advance replacements with no hassle for the 3 year warranty period. They're also pretty easy going with doing multiple exchanges with free shipping both ways if you're not happy with the panel. To be fair the Dell models seem to have more issues and HP doesn't have a price competitive model. Other manufacturers like BenQ, Viewsonic, and Asus probably aren't as good as Dell/HP service either.

Amazon dropped the price to $499.99

Thanks for the heads up! I just called Amazon and they are refunding $50. Mine was delivered May 12th. So anyone who recently ordered it through them, give them a call.

Last edited:
The biggest unknown for me is AOC itself. They're traditionally a budget manufacturer and this monitor is the most expensive one they sell. I have no idea how good their build quality is or their service. Their website states that warranty for North America on this monitor is 1 year for the panel and 2 years for parts and labor. It does seem that you'll have to pay shipping to send it to them too.

I've also thought of them as second tier as well. So far, so good. I don't have a darker side though as you mentioned. Did you use the profile on the disk? http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18595576&page=4

I made sure I read their warranty beforehand. On their site, they have a drop down box to select the monitor, so no direct link. Here is the link for the EASE program: http://us.aoc.com/ease-program which is good for 3 months. They do have a dead pixel policy which is very good. Just can't find it right now.

The North America warranty in part reads:
For AOC monitors that become defective within the first three (3) months after the original date of consumer purchase, the Ease Replacement Program ("EASE") entitles the customer to a replacement monitor, as well as free shipping to and from the service center.

To obtain a replacement under EASE, please use the "Online Request Form”. Once you have filled out the form online and have submitted the information requested, you will need to fax your proof of purchase to (510) 687-9905. For assistance during this process, you may contact the RMA department toll free at (888) 662-9888.

LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT

AOC warrants this product to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of three (3) years limited (panel 1 year, parts and labor 3) after the original date of consumer purchase. During this period, EPI ( EPI is the abbreviation of Envision Peripherals, Inc. ) will, at its option, either repair the defective product with new or rebuilt parts, or replace it with a new or rebuilt product at no charge except as *stated below. The parts or product that are replaced become the property of EPI.

If you want to read the whole thing, go here and select it from the menu:
http://us.aoc.com/support/warranty.

Has anyone tried both this and the BenQ BL2710? I ordered one from Amazon since it was on sale. Both the AOC and BenQ don't have BLB or pixel issues. The BenQ's proximity sensor and ambient light sensor are useless so those don't come into play.

Are there any big advantages of one over the other?

The funny thing is that the screen shots (from the below overclock link) nearly all of them have the darker lower right corner I have :)

Darker corner is waaay different than a darker right side as fyleow reported.

Has anyone tried both this and the BenQ BL2710? I ordered one from Amazon since it was on sale. Both the AOC and BenQ don't have BLB or pixel issues. The BenQ's proximity sensor and ambient light sensor are useless so those don't come into play.

Are there any big advantages of one over the other?

NCX said he is getting an AOC in. He may be able to answer your question, but in the meantime you can check his site: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15027-best-2560x1440-monitors.html

In the review of the AOC he said: "It is a superior solution to the BenQ BL2710PT and Viewsonic VP2770 since it offers slightly better colors and similar gaming performance (21ms delay and it has fast pixel response times) and is similarly priced."

So there's one answer...

I would be very curious to know if you think this monitor has a lot of glow; as a point of reference. Btw tft suggest that this monitor recently changed panels (june 2014); not sure how to tell which panel one has and if the ones in the us have the new panel, old panel or if there is a big difference between the panels.

I will be testing one next week.

I would be very curious to know if you think this monitor has a lot of glow; as a point of reference. Btw tft suggest that this monitor recently changed panels (june 2014); not sure how to tell which panel one has and if the ones in the us have the new panel, old panel or if there is a big difference between the panels.

Do you have a link to that? :confused:

Ordered this yesterday. Looking forward to a giant screen of terminal windows.

I tried to find it this morning and couldn't. I *thought* it was tft central but the site was different (green) and tftcentral is white. Hum. If I can find it will post link.

Have this link which has a lot of green. http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/aoc-q2770pqu-p17978/test.html

FWIW, I am done looking for flaws. As long as it stays pixel perfect and it looks great I'm happy. I have good color uniformity, some glow and no BLB. The bottom corners are a tiny bit darker which my Win 7 task bar covers. Even happier I got $50 back from Amazon making this more reasonably priced. $10 more than the Asus I returned which had bad PWM.

Mine was manufactured week 3, 2014. They also changed the firmware from .3 to .4. Someone on page 5 here has .7. I don't care if they changed panels. Mine is fine. June? It's the first week of June.

Model name............... Q2770
Manufacturer............. AOC
Plug and Play ID......... AOC2770
Serial number............ XXXXXXXXXX
Manufacture date......... 2014, ISO week 3
Filter driver............ None
-------------------------
EDID revision............ 1.3
Input signal type........ Digital
Color bit depth.......... Undefined
Display type............. RGB color
Screen size.............. 600 x 340 mm (27.2 in)
Power management......... Active off/sleep
Extension blocs.......... None
-------------------------
DDC/CI................... Supported
MCCS revison............. 2.1
Display technology....... TFT
Controller............... Mstar 0x1600
Firmware revision........ 0.4
Active power on time..... Not supported
Power consumption........ Not supported
Current frequency........ 88.90kHz, 60.03Hz

Last edited:
So got mine yesterday and got some heavy use out of it last night. Not noticing any dead/stuck pixels or obvious dark areas. I'm not exactly a monitor guy, so just because I don't notice them doesn't mean they are not there, so obvious is a good thing.

This is an upgrade from a Dell SP2309W I was using hooked up my T430s running Linux (Manjaro). So far so good, my Linux install had no issues running the monitor. I haven't tried using the icc file from the drivers yet, but the display is fairly bright and text is ultra crisp.

I dev and work mainly in multiple vim and terminal screens, so I wasn't joking about lots of terminal space. I can watch videos in one corner, have a browser open in another and other half with couple of vim screens and all other terminal screens I move to the laptop monitor. Worked nicely last night. I'm going to test it out with some GIS software tonight, but I expect to stay happy with it.

Darker corner is waaay different than a darker right side as fyleow reported.

Anything like this? (Camera exaggerates things a bit but the stuff on the right-hand side is visible.)
14202049744_32aa8e2be4_z.jpg

I don't notice the gradient to the left, but I keep seeing the "splotch" in the lower 1/3 of the right edge. I otherwise really enjoy this model, but easily visible artifacts annoy me. I use engineering applications and write code primarily--so that part of the screen is usually white. On the other hand, the small 1/4" darkened corners are no bother at all.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that the screen shots (from the below overclock link) nearly all of them have the darker lower right corner I have :)

Which screenshots? I see only two, and they don't really show it.

Anything like this? (Camera exaggerates things a bit but the stuff on the right-hand side is visible.)
14202049744_32aa8e2be4_z.jpg

I don't notice the gradient to the left, but I keep seeing the "splotch" in the lower 1/3 of the right edge. I otherwise really enjoy this model, but easily visible artifacts annoy me. I use engineering applications and write code primarily--so that part of the screen is usually white. On the other hand, the small 1/4" darkened corners are no bother at all.

I also do programming and I usually have 2 windows with lighter backgrounds side by side. Uniformity is fine on mine from the left edge to about 80% of the way to the right side. The last 20% looks off on the right side and I think it's a combination of both color and brightness uniformity issues which compounds the problem.

I also bought a BenQ 2710 when it went on sale on Amazon to compare. The color uniformity on the BenQ I have is not as good. It is cooler on the left and right edges of the monitor but the brightness in those areas are OK.

I don't think there's an easy way out if you want good uniformity. The only way is to purchase a monitor specifically designed to have good uniformity such as the NEC PA272W ($1,299) or some Eizo model, although the EV2736WFS which doesn't have uniformity compensation might be good enough. Unfortunately the cheaper Dells and Asus monitors with uniformity compensation don't seem to work well.

If the differences are not major then you might simply get used to it. Alternatively buying 2x 24" might be another option. My experiences with the smaller monitors have been better and although the HP LP2065s I use at work aren't perfect they are pretty good. On the other hand I know you've tried the HP z24i and it didn't work out. Maybe it's a combination of lighter AG coating, and LED backlights which make these issues more pronounced.

Back