Anyone went strictly to SSDs only yet ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Is it worth doing?

I feel like I am missing out by not.

Just tried SSD to SSD and even SSD or portable SSD.

The speed is incredible compared to Hard Drive 7200 rpm to SSD.

I haven't used a spinner in years except for auto backups.

That what I do.

I have a 4 TB 7200 rpm for all my data then another portable 4 TB 7200 rpm for backup.

Would it be beneficial to switch them out with two 4 TB SSDs ?

Dang I don't even have ssd's now all M.2. My backups are online storage.

I have SSD's in all of my machines except for my Plex Server. 134TB is too expensive in SSD's, so I have 12-18TB Western Digital drives in it.
Plex_Storage_Drives_Jan-2024.png

I have a 3x2TB NVME and then a bunch of oldder SSDs slapped together in another 5 or so TB. Haven't used a spinner in my main system in years.

The file server is another story though.

I still used HDDs on my servers, but on my pc n laptops, all ssds.

I'm still using spinner drives since they're cheap. A couple of them raided and I got the speed I want and the storage size I need. As long as spinners are cheap, I'll keep using them. I've been trying to get large SSD's at least 10TB, but the prices are still wayy too expensive.

*Edit* I just checked the egg and an 8TB SSD is close to $600 :eek: Looks like I'll be using spinners for a little while longer, dam.

Last edited:
My computer has five SSDs. Three of them are M.2 and two of them are SATA. My NAS still has spinners though. Once you get a drive that goes 6GB/s+ you can't go back.

like, 6-7 years ago?

people still use HDDs?
Yeah, unless you know where you can purchase affordable 8 to 22TB SSD's somewhere.

Last I looked at 8 TB SSD's, they were a bit expensive. I like my kids, but not enough to load up Plex with movies on 8TB drives costing $500+ ea.

Picked up 2x 20TB WD reds for $600. 40 TB of Linux distros works for me

Last edited:
My workstation is all SSD. 512G nvme-like HP Z-drive (days before nvme), 512G SSD (Micron), 2 x 2TB SSD (Samsung 870 EVO), 4TB SSD (Samsung 870 EVO).

I likely won't until it gets to the point that solid state is literally less expensive than magnetic rust. And I'm not anticipating that happening any time soon. There'd have to be a lot more chip plants spun up for that to ever get close. Maybe in 20 years. Maybe.

I likely won't until it gets to the point that solid state is literally less expensive than magnetic rust. And I'm not anticipating that happening any time soon. There'd have to be a lot more chip plants spun up for that to ever get close. Maybe in 20 years. Maybe.
Heck I hope I'm still walking on this earth in 20 years

Yeah. In all my desktops/laptops there is nothing but solid state storage. The only place where I still have spinning rust is on my TrueNAS Core server, which runs a few services but more importantly serves up NFS and SMB shares for the rest of the network.

Right now full solid state outside the NAS, still had a previous simple 4tb 5400rpm data drive couple of months ago in my main desktop.

Frankly for single large files operation going to HDD can surprise the other way around, how now that bad they are (specially over cheap ssd that cannot sustain operation very long), some can go over 200MB/s sustained forever... older under 10TB RedPLus type can average 150mbs for long task.

They are obviously terrible in the small 4k operations, you heard them waking up and terrible latency, etc... But a backup system that generate a single large file, movies (storing them or reading them) they are still good enough. I think it is a mix of HDD getting significantly better than when the first SSD came out and cheap ssd becoming prevalent that do not sustain operation as well that can create that impression, software-cpu power and compression-decompression algorithm help as well, what can a modern HDD do with the latest directstorage (the part they support) and ggod asset compression can make not that bad on system that has a lot of ram.

The price is low enough, if you build new to go all ssd for day to day inside the computer affair, but for keeping a backup (depending on the size and the nature of the files), NAS for file you do not actively work on via the network, how long your backup task is right now and is it an issue or does it run when the computer is idle at night with you not even aware it is in average 6 minutes or 2?

Could be perfectly fine with very little to gain. It is in some way quite similar to gigabit ethernet, for lot of stuff/people it is more than good enough and a single modern HDD saturate that for larges files easily now.

Last edited:
I replaced all of my desktop's HDDs with SSDs when prices on the latter bottomed out last late summer/early fall. My daily driver now has 2x 1TB WD SN850s and 4x 4TB Samsung 870 EVOs. Backups are all still HDDs.

I have SSD's in all of my machines except for my Plex Server. 134TB is too expensive in SSD's, so I have 12-18TB Western Digital drives in it.
View attachment 633178

If you lose a drive, that's going to be a pita. It's probably a pita from a Plex perspective with all those different drive letters too.

I always feel the way to win with data is to not have much in the first place. It's a millstone.

Its all going to get lost or tossed at some point.

Honestly, it really depends on your use cases. We have boxes that are SSD only (Database mainly), Hybrid Tiered SSD/HDD (NetApp WAFL and others (Mail, File, DC & More which are SSD front end/ SSD/HDD backend.)) You need to decide if the benefits of moving to 100% flash meet your budget and your use case. Some services see great increases in productivity by moving to SSD, some have significantly less benefit for the significant increase in price (especially when you get into Enterprise equipment.) Personally all my home boxes have SSD for system volumes/scratch volumes and then SSD/HDD hybrid for bulk storage of all my Linux ISO's :)

Last edited:
I always feel the way to win with data is to not have much in the first place. It's a millstone.

Its all going to get lost or tossed at some point.
You can only make that statement if you view the data that you have or that is being made as being worthless. Whereas basically the information economy is more valuable than any other sector right now. And it has been that way for a while.

The government and every fortune 500 company isn't just building massive data repositories for nothing. Google without data is literally not a company.

HDD for very cold backups only. Redundant backup of the backups.

Used 2.5" U.2 and AIC enterprise SSDs are cheap and big. I moved big files this weekend. 60 GB in two vhdx files. 970 evo wrote at 2.5GBps for about 3/4 of the time then dropped to 900 mbps. 7.68TB SN200 writes balls out 2GBps for an entire 450GB backup file while recording 4k surveillance video from two cameras. Copy backups to HDD it takes over 8 hours. SN200 like 20 minutes.

The power is what becomes trivial with SSDs. Move around a terabyte of data with barely a second thought. Get coffee from the breakroom, take a leak, and 1,000 gigabytes just moved. I've had to restore tens of terabytes from spinning rust across gigabit connections. Days of stress and worry. Had a job that was literally an entire week of almost straight copy time, every day trying a new version of the data to find what I was looking for. It would have been a matter of a few hours on a SSD. An entire company was shutdown for the duration.

You can only make that statement if you view the data that you have or that is being made as being worthless. Whereas basically the information economy is more valuable than any other sector right now. And it has been that way for a while.

The government and every fortune 500 company isn't just building massive data repositories for nothing. Google without data is literally not a company.
I'm talking as an individual. Your grandkids are not going to want your 200TB torrented Anime collection.

And to anyone else but you, your data probably is worthless.

I'm talking as an individual. Your grandkids are not going to want your 200TB torrented Anime collection.
You’ve missed the point twice then.

Because it doesn’t have to be important to anyone but you to have value to you.
So essentially the goal then is to ensure your own value on everything you make is worthless.

I’m not going to tell you how to live. If that’s how you want to live: that’s fine. But that is definitely not how most people view their own data.

Like many others here, I haven't had a hard drive around for 5+ years. (With the exception of backup drives, and two 8TB data staging drives that only get used a few times a month.)

My kids would be pretty ticked off if their Plex libraries disappeared, other users would probably be wondering what happened to them as well and why nothing was available.

First SSD I had the pleasure to work with was in the 90s. Quantum Rushmore. Man I was addicted!
But I had to settle for bucketloads of fastest SCSI spinners hitched to smart hosts with tons of cache.
I think it was around 2007 or so when I started buying SATA SSDs.
The rest is history.

My kids would be pretty ticked off if their Plex libraries disappeared, other users would probably be wondering what happened to them as well and why nothing was available.
Couldn't they just use blurays instead?

Been on ssds since the original OCZ vertex. Never had a mechanical drive till this day. My last one was a WD Raptor X 10,000 rpm with the window. That's how long it's been lol.

They would get over it as they would be 50+ by then...house to sell and clear out all the stuff in it.

Last edited:
Missed my point totally too, that makes two of us but carry on...
So far I've boiled your point down to:
data = millstone
because, no one will want your data after you're dead.

I directly addressed that point. Just because no one else has interest in an individual's data doesn't mean it's not valuable to them.
This position you basically can only really hold for yourself as some sort of maxim. But it's not something that can remotely be transferred to how other people want to live or operate.

Back