Anyone went strictly to SSDs only yet ?

I've finished converting almost all of my computers to use SSD only.

The main PC at home (for gaming, as well as work) now has a Crucial MX500 2 TB SSD drive, using the SATA ports as its only hard drive.

The main work PC has a 2 TB Intel M2 SSD drive.

The secondary work PC has a 1 TB Kodak M2 SSD drive.

My Thinkpad E14 has a 512 GB M2 SSD drive.

The only personally owned PC left that has a mechanical drive is my old trusty FX 4100 system, which is now running CentOS 7 Linux, just for a handful of programs that I use in my research work.

My three workstation PC's that control the nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers still use Western Digital Blue mechanical drives, though. I could update them to use SATA SSD's, but I simply can't justify them at this time, since the workstations are still humming along (albeit slowly).

When we get new consoles for these spectrometers, they'll come with new workstations, and I suspect that they'll be SSD only.

data hoarders will be using spinning rust for a long time. You just don't need that much speed for this kind of storage :)

Current Storage Server:

Attachments

• ZFS Pool 2.png
    ZFS Pool 2.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 1
On my main gaming machine I'm running a combination. 1x 1tb m2 drive 960 evo, 1x 8tb micron nvme u.3 drive, 1x 2tb 870 qvo, and a 2tb wd black spinner... the 2tb is the oldest drive in the rig and over time will eventually be replaced, but it's sitting at 92k hours powered on so i'm going to see how long it will go before becoming self aware and trying to take over the world.

I love the speed that the SSD drives offer over the HDD. The 2tb black was originally my game storage since it was the fastest drive I could get back in the day. The difference in game loading is night and day with the 8tb micron vs that 2tb black.

I went all NVME for my current build. Can't imagine I'll ever use anything else. I've got a few Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12GB HDDs for back up storage.

My datahoarder machine is still spinning rust, for obvious reasons. It has enough RAM to cache a good workload, though.

I think my laptops only have one magnetic drive left, a Steam bulk storage drive in a laptop that also has NVMe (where DCS lives).

My gaming rig is all NVMe/SSD and has no 3.5" bays at all.
My media rig has 2 NVMe, 1 SSD and 1 3.5" HDD (6TB) The case had only one 3.5" mounting point

I now have a stack of int 3.5" HDDs and USB3 HDD cradles. Will need to e-cycle a few next month at hazmat.

I almost was able to use family funds to build an SSD nas to replace my 4x drive 7200rpm asustore nas.
Wife was complaining about the noise, which sounded like spinner vibrations, I tried carpet, bigger rubber feet, she still heard it.
Started to research big ssd prices and then the local news found it's a bigger problem than just my wife, so that purchase got ko'd.
😭
Everything else in the house is ssd except for 2x external USB drives I use for backups.
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/inve...idents-are-fed-up-with-nagging-noise/3225330/

For games/active programs? Sure. Storage? Nope. Just grabbed a pair of 12tb exos. Wife does photography and I collect an ever growing pile of stl files. Add in the movie/tv/music collection and...yeah. Maybe once 2.5" SSDs drop to like $100/4tb (lol) then I'd do everything on them.

Anyone using SSDs for caching larger volumes of spinning rust?
We had an issue with a few Synology Rackstations where copying/reading hundreds of thousands of small files into a database application was chugging even on 10Gbit. Added a pair of 2TB nvme drives and performance went back up to prior levels (prior storage server using a fast raid controller with 8GB cache).

I hope Intel brings back Optane (xpoint) with PCI-E 6.0 and DDR6!

I only use NVMe now. No 2.5 SSD or spinners running anymore, though I do have a bunch. I have backups of files that are important to me, outside of that, whatever I have stored right now on NVMe is expendable.

Anyone using SSDs for caching larger volumes of spinning rust?
We had an issue with a few Synology Rackstations where copying/reading hundreds of thousands of small files into a database application was chugging even on 10Gbit. Added a pair of 2TB nvme drives and performance went back up to prior levels (prior storage server using a fast raid controller with 8GB cache).

I hope Intel brings back Optane (xpoint) with PCI-E 6.0 and DDR6!
I'm using a 1tb ssd in my qnap box for cache shenanigans... not sure it makes much difference but i'll pretend it does heh.. I don't transfer many small files, as it's mostly a glorified plex server

Back