anyone using bias lighting?

I have 2 CCFL's on the back of my middle eyfinity monitor. I like using it when browsing the web or doing other tasks. However, I find it distracting when gaming and prefer a completely dark room for that. I never had the CCFL's before my eyefinity setup, so it is entirely possible that the extra light from the 2 other monitors give the same effect as ambient light would with one monitor.

I do. Most importantly it hides the atrocious black levels LCDs inherently have.

I use Cinemaquest Ideal-Lume bias lights. Their bulbs are designed to output 6500K to match your calibrated TVs or monitors and to preserve proper color perception. You can buy them for as little as $60 and they come with an extra bulb.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

I highly recommend spending the little bit extra to get the proper lighting for this purpose. It's worth it.

For even better results paint the wall behind your monitor a neutral gray as well.

I use Cinemaquest Ideal-Lume bias lights. Their bulbs are designed to output 6500K to match your calibrated TVs or monitors and to preserve proper color perception. You can buy them for as little as $60 and they come with an extra bulb.

I highly recommend spending the little bit extra to get the proper lighting for this purpose. It's worth it.

For even better results paint the wall behind your monitor a neutral gray as well.

$60 minimum for a light bulb? lol

I don't get it. Why is spectral power distribution or CRI relevant for bias lighting?

Cinemaquest said:
A minimum CRI of 90 out of 100 is recommended for color reference applications.
Remind me again, are LCDs and PDPs reflective mediums?

Cinemaquest said:
The color of light should be as close as possible to the video white point of 'CIE D65'
That's great. Do the models outside of the $300 one achieve D65?

I actually bought the Ideal-Lume Standard for my 55" plasma...but for my computer monitor, which isn't calibrated to the same professional standard I decided to go with the Antec LED Kit...plus the Antec Kit's color temp is only around 5500K which will help in regards to eye fatigue which is what I was most concerned for my computer monitor

if you use your computer monitor as your HDTV as well then the CinemaQuest is probably a good idea but if not the Antec seems like the better deal at $12 (including shipping)

I have a desk lamp on my desk sitting behind the screens that help out.
My 23" HP monitor has built in Bias Lighting, the giant HP logo on the back of it lights up.
"Ironically enough, the 2310e lacks a VESA mount on the rear, instead opting for a CD-size HP logo that lights up enough to illuminate your surroundings in low light. If this annoys you, you can turn it off."

screens-2011.jpg

I want to add that Antec Halo kit to my new 3x24" EF setup, only thing is I dunno whether to get two or three of them... Not sure how best to place them either, as I do intend to rotate my displays from landscape to portrait ever so often depending on what games I'm playing or even how much work I'm taking home. I gotta get my displays wall mounted too, right now I can't even switch to landscape cause then they won't fit on the desk. :p

I want to add that Antec Halo kit to my new 3x24" EF setup, only thing is I dunno whether to get two or three of them... Not sure how best to place them either, as I do intend to rotate my displays from landscape to portrait ever so often depending on what games I'm playing or even how much work I'm taking home. I gotta get my displays wall mounted too, right now I can't even switch to landscape cause then they won't fit on the desk. :p

I would think that you would only need the LED lights on the center monitor...the point is to create some light in the back of your monitors to reduce eye fatigue and improve contrast

don't use the double-sided tape if you want to be flexible with it...try using regular tape or zip ties

I bought the Antec Kit for my 24" computer monitor and the CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume Standard for my 55" HDTV and they both make a HUGE difference both in terms of contrast and no more eye strain

44460195.jpg

51443284.jpg

61733775.jpg

I ordered two of those Antec kits just to be safe, I'll find somewhere else to stick the second one if I don't use it on my EF setup... Should be here Monday.

the Antec lights are kinda dim though...I think multiple lights will definitely work better...my LCD is pretty bright so it drowns out the Antec lights

This kit is only $7.80 locally. I've been meaning to give this a try, but didn't realize there would be such a cheap and off the shelf option.

When I was thinking about it, it seemed like the choice was either DIY or more expensive options.

I was, until the cursed ANtec strip broke. Never the matter, I'm buying two more. Gonna mount them veritcally, so the insane heat from my U2711 doesn't cause them to melt like the other one I had, lol...

The U2711, and other Ultrasharps, are neat, because when the monitor times out or goes to sleep/turns off, it shuts off the monitor's USB ports, too. :D

I use a couple florescent cabinet lights which has a nice effect, but I'm tempted to try these... since they would free up an electrical socket. I almost never use my computer in the dark though... kinda makes me feel like a loser.

This is what the florescents look like:

My+Desk+-+June+2011.JPG

behind the desk shot

I use a couple florescent cabinet lights which has a nice effect, but I'm tempted to try these... since they would free up an electrical socket. I almost never use my computer in the dark though... kinda makes me feel like a loser.

Why? Some of us just use it in the dark out of necessity due to roommates, significant others, etc. Although once in a while with certain games it does add to the ambiance and helps draw you in.

Does any company make one that changes color with the scenes displaying?

Mad Catz makes a kit for this, they call it amBX I think, it's a rebadge of an old Philips kit IIRC... I've heard it works well but it's like $100.

Picked one up (the halo 6), but whats the ideal layout for for this by the way? I have a u2311h -

15d3mki.jpg

They work great for night time even day time gaming on smaller monitors.
I get really bad eyestrain without them I still get eyestrain with them but it's not as bad.
I have three sets.

Bias lighting is crucial for me. I feel uncomfortable looking at a screen without it.

Back