Anyone playing Squad (TheSquad?)

lcpiper

[H]F Junkie
I spotted this one on Steam the other day, it looks like it might be a good one for me. Any of you guys have input on the game?

Squad as in the tactical "almost mil-sim" shooter? If that's what you mean then yes, I just got it last weekend and been playing every night almost. It's funny, I was literally just coming on here to make the same exact thread asking this!

It is by far the most teamwork oriented FPS game I've ever played hands down. I'm more geared toward realism aspects then arcade aspects when it comes to shooters. Sure Battlefield can be fun but honestly I cannot stand shooting someone 5 times in the mid section with a fucking .308 and not killing them. That crap just pisses me off. Probably because I've been a shooter since a child and just think about it way too much.

I was playing Insurgency before squad and still do... it's a fun game and I'm damn good at it but it's way more arcade like then squad. It's still far more realistic then most games but squad is definitely one of the more realism based games out there. Like Arma I guess, though I've never played arma. The difference from squad and a game like Insurgency that both have realistic firearm damage is basically map layout, objectives, tactics, etc. Squads battles are far more close to a real world military engagement then a smaller faster game like Insurgency. There are multiple squads per team each with a squad leader. Each squad leader can communicate to each other and each communicates to their squad. A good squad leader is essential to winning. Squad leaders can build rally points, FOBs, resupply points etc, all which you need to spawn closer to the action.

I'm definitely liking it. It runs well for an Alpha. I'm at 1080p on medium settings with 50ish fps if I had to guess.

The teamwork just makes the game. When you get into a squad and everyone is taking it seriously and the squad leader is competent it can be so fun. You might go 30 minutes without seeing an enemy setting an FOB up and what not, but I've been in plenty of really intense close quarters fire fights. It makes those times all more intense because it's not a constant thing.

There are things that definitely need to be added, but the game is still complete enough to thoroughly enjoy. Ballistics are pretty well simulated, there will be plenty of times in Squad where you will see multiple enemies in the distance and not be able to engage them, even as the designated marksmen some times. The maps are very big but well designed and damn realistic from what I've seen of Afghanistan.

The only slightly big issue right now is latency. In the server browser you may see many servers below 100 ping but they are not accurately displayed. I need to join a server that is showing 40 ping or less in order to have a ping below 100 in game. This may be a glitch though as even with an average 80-100 ping in game it seems lag free like other games when im averaging 5-25. Just a heads up. It may just not be displaying right.

If you wanna add me on Steam send a PM. Also if you have any more detailed questions ask away.

Last edited:
Nice info Converge. I was a big GRAW2 player and my teammates always liked the way I communicated as a scout. The would say that when I called out enemies they always knew right where they were and that I was quick, succinct would be the word. I make a good scout and I am hoping that this would be important in the game. Not a scout as in a clasic FPS sniper, but a scout as in an Intelligence gatherer.

Anyway, looks like I might have to give this one a try. Thank You.

Yeah absolutely that plays a huge role. Squad leaders and medics have binoculars usually and spotting enemy movement outside of engagement range is incredibly important. Definitely the job of the designated marksmen as well, but it's very hard to get that role as there can only be 3 per entire team of 35 players. I like that role and I've only had it once but did very well. Reporting enemy numbers and movement is half of your job with that role since you will see enemies out of range all the time. With multiple objective points its very important to have someone spotting that stuff

Last edited:
Arma 3 definitely looks awesome. Always wanted to get it, probably will eventually. The scale of arma is much bigger then Squad right now. There are no vehicles in squad yet, but there are plans for them. In arma they are 100% needed. Squad is more infantry based then arma from what I can tell. I definitely want to play arma when I get a chance though.

You should try ARMA.
This is the worst suggestion you can ever give any gamer.
Arma is, and always will be a complete glitch infested disaster. Just like it has since day one of its release and just like every.single.mod that has ever come from that horrible engine.

I would love to give it a try. I like more realistic shooters but think the community may be a bit too involved for me. But I'd like to try it some day anyways.

Arma is, and always will be a complete glitch infested disaster. Just like it has since day one of its release and just like every.single.mod that has ever come from that horrible engine.

The problem with ArmA is that it has an identity crisis. It is all over the place and lots of gimmicks are added, very poorly I might add, at the expense of the core infantry experience. The real issues get kicked down the road.

I had thought that may be the case with arma. Im sure it is one of those games that COULD be fantastic if everyone playing involved is cooporating and down with team work and tactics. Like a giant set up clan match. Otherwise it is probably just a jumbled mess with people doing whatever they want and no real flow.

For what it is worth I've heard a lot of people are coming over to Squad from ArmA.

A friend picked this up for me over the weekend. Only played briefly. Thus far it's mostly just me getting my ass kicked. It's pretty obvious how important teamwork is here. My issue is that with just two of us, we have to rely heavily on strangers, which isn't quite as fun to me. If I had a group of 5+ people I knew very well playing this, I think it would be incredibly enjoyable.

Or maybe I just have to learn the game better... I'm gunna keep at it. The game feels pretty intense. More so than any other FPS I've played. Getting into a firefight can really get your heart racing. I found myself really caring about whether I lived or died. In something like Battlefield, I couldn't give a shit how many times I get popped off.

I wouldn't worry about not knowing other people. If you want to add me feel free but I've been playing this a lot since I got it and 7/10 times the entire squad has mics and is working together communicating. Also remember you can always leave a squad and join a different one on your team if you get into one you're not feeling.

Also, are you east coast? If you are look for the 2fjg clan server. I've been playing there 80% of the time because it's one of the best pinging servers for me and there is usually always an admin there, and a lot of good teamwork. Having a microphone is almost required I would say, calling out enemy contact using the directional bearings is a must.

I wouldn't worry about not knowing other people. If you want to add me feel free but I've been playing this a lot since I got it and 7/10 times the entire squad has mics and is working together communicating. Also remember you can always leave a squad and join a different one on your team if you get into one you're not feeling.

Also, are you east coast? If you are look for the 2fjg clan server. I've been playing there 80% of the time because it's one of the best pinging servers for me and there is usually always an admin there, and a lot of good teamwork. Having a microphone is almost required I would say, calling out enemy contact using the directional bearings is a must.

It's not that people don't communicate. Nearly every game I have played, the team communicates fine. The problem is they are still unpredictable. When I play a game with a regular group of friends, we all have a play style that compliments each other. We work very well. Certain things don't have to be communicated. That would be incredibly beneficial in a game like Squad, where every tiny thing you do counts.

Also, call me anti-social, but I don't get into chatting it up with strangers in video games. Especially if I jump in a squad and it's obvious most of them are together and i'm the oddball.

It's not that people don't communicate. Nearly every game I have played, the team communicates fine. The problem is they are still unpredictable. When I play a game with a regular group of friends, we all have a play style that compliments each other. We work very well. Certain things don't have to be communicated. That would be incredibly beneficial in a game like Squad, where every tiny thing you do counts.

Also, call me anti-social, but I don't get into chatting it up with strangers in video games. Especially if I jump in a squad and it's obvious most of them are together and i'm the oddball.

Sounds like you're setting yourself up to fail in a way or expecting it before it happens. Playing with friends is of course better but I've had no issues with teamwork or relying on team mates so far for the most part. Of course every now and then there's some fuck nut doing something dumb but usually they get kicked or moved out of the squad fairly quickly. But yeah, playing with real friends who's play style you know would be a big plus. I would much prefer that as well. I don't know anyone else who plays this though so no luck with that yet on my end

Spoken like someone who played ArmA for 15 minutes at release and then never touched it again.

I have well over 300 hours in ArmA 3 and probably twice that in ArmA 2. It has bugs, sure, but it's nothing like you are describing. And actually, most of the decently-updated mods make the game that much better.

You should try ARMA.

I tried the first AMRA, too much sim for me and I don't need jets and attack helicopters actually.

Like I said, the sweet spot for me was GRAW2, but the Tom Clancey's evolved into a different game and frankly, ruined what they had built and the niche they had captured was thrown away. I won't even try a new one now because I don't trust them to go back to that sweet spot.

Spoken like someone who played ArmA for 15 minutes at release and then never touched it again.

I have well over 300 hours in ArmA 3 and probably twice that in ArmA 2. It has bugs, sure, but it's nothing like you are describing. And actually, most of the decently-updated mods make the game that much better.
Or maybe its spoken like someone with plenty of playtime in a2, a3, and mods. The engine is the most shit engine that has ever been made for any video game, and thats not an exaggeration. It's a laughable pile of alpha quality mess, exactly like it has been since day one.

Oh, and I am never going to chase mods again. I want a good factory install experience. If the devs patch the game or push a patch that's fine. But I am done with;

A. Chasing servers - Dozens of good multiplayer games out there and frankly, with so many connecting you need real solid servers, not the BS servers that other games, including GRAW2, used to run.

B. Chasing mods - This server uses 1.6a but that server is still 1.5. Again, by now the bar has been set and companies need to get onboard and stop letting people convince them that this is something in the + colume.

Actually, when you mentioned servers I got a real let down feeling. If this isn't run on company owned/leased servers, I probably won't touch it. Businesses should know better by now to trust their business model to the vagaries of volunteers.

Oh, and I am never going to chase mods again. I want a good factory install experience. If the devs patch the game or push a patch that's fine. But I am done with;

A. Chasing servers - Dozens of good multiplayer games out there and frankly, with so many connecting you need real solid servers, not the BS servers that other games, including GRAW2, used to run.

B. Chasing mods - This server uses 1.6a but that server is still 1.5. Again, by now the bar has been set and companies need to get onboard and stop letting people convince them that this is something in the + colume.

Actually, when you mentioned servers I got a real let down feeling. If this isn't run on company owned/leased servers, I probably won't touch it. Businesses should know better by now to trust their business model to the vagaries of volunteers.

I feel the same way about most games, but Arma has always been about the sandbox environment; it's not for everybody. For everyone that wants a well-baked experience out of the box from Arma, there's 10 or 100 more who don't give a crap about the campaign or a curated multiplayer experience and want to do their own thing - which sadly seems mostly to be playing Life mods nowadays. Also, the bugs aren't really a thing anymore, and server/client performance is way up. Things are getting more polished than ever. Maybe drop by when the Apex expansion is released and see how things are going.

Cool, I missed this one. I may have to check it out.

I mainly play the BF series and was a big Project Reality fan in the beginning, although it lost my interest after a while though, not sure what happened but we slowly drifted apart.

I still play BF4, mostly IO/HC but those are few and far between (needz moar JETZ!1! or something) and it still has arcade roots. There are 'tactical' servers where you cant run, etc, but its just weird.

This might be a good fit, will have to read up a bit..

Or maybe its spoken like someone with plenty of playtime in a2, a3, and mods. The engine is the most shit engine that has ever been made for any video game, and thats not an exaggeration. It's a laughable pile of alpha quality mess, exactly like it has been since day one.

Again, it is clear you have not played much ArmA 3...what's laughable is using the term "alpha quality" to describe it, and it has gotten better and better over time.

Cool, I missed this one. I may have to check it out.

I mainly play the BF series and was a big Project Reality fan in the beginning, although it lost my interest after a while though, not sure what happened but we slowly drifted apart.

I still play BF4, mostly IO/HC but those are few and far between (needz moar JETZ!1! or something) and it still has arcade roots. There are 'tactical' servers where you cant run, etc, but its just weird.

This might be a good fit, will have to read up a bit..

Squad is made by the same people who did Project Reality.

And for anyone looking to buy Squad, just a few pointers.

First off just remember it is in Alpha and there is a ton of new contentand tweaks etc still to come. The game will feature vehicles soon, 3 months I've heard, as well as more maps + weapons + factions + gameplay elements. Even though it is in alpha, the game is completely playable. There is nothing "broken" like Dayz that makes the game a pain in the ass. It's been working great for me, no bugs, nothing like that. There is a performance issue with A MD systems that is being worked out but I'm Intel so I can't comment on that.

Secondly, you MUST read the game manual! It's online on the squad site. It is a must. It will clue you in on all the map markers, gameplay modes, spawn system, healing and medic system, etc. It's much easier to read up before you play instead of trying to ask someone in a server how to spawn or what certain markers are or how to revive people. It helps a lot.

Thirdly, just be patient in your first few hours. At first the game might feel slow or like it's hard to get kills. When I first started playing I may have only gotten 1 or 2 kills every round but after getting used to the game and the maps and tactics it's so much more fun. I'm consistently getting 15-25 kills every round and getting into a ton of firefights. Which is actually very good, most people average between 5 and 15 kills each round. Getting kills is only a side aspect of course, your main points come from getting objectives. There is also a lot of suppressive fire so there will be a lot of times where you're laying down fire on enemy positions but not necessarily getting a kill. The suppression system works well.

That is all, I'm still enjoying the game a ton. Any questions just ask or check out the squad forum.

Last edited:
I play it daily. Solid game, no stupid effects or carpet bombing, just teamwork and kills. They just pushed a new update out a couple days ago, improving graphics and performance, and other small improvements visually. Less lost connections, better server connections etc..

Been thinking of picking this up recently. Was hoping it would have been one of the titles on sale in the current Steam sale but alas, it is not.

if you want a real military game that is more about teamwork than carpet bombing, this is your game.

It will be a great game and is entertaining even as of now. That being said, I would wait until it is more developed to buy it.

So you have 500 hours in those games and have yet to realize that they are shitty iterations of a clunky unrefined game engine from 2001 called Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis?
They should just rename the game to keyboard combo keys memorizer simulator since you spend about 99% of the time having to haplessly configure the various different combos for different actions which you will ultimately forget anyway. If your game takes 4 keyboards worth of keys to fulfill functions, you're doing it wrong.

So you have 500 hours in those games and have yet to realize that they are shitty iterations of a clunky unrefined game engine from 2001 called Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis?
They should just rename the game to keyboard combo keys memorizer simulator since you spend about 99% of the time having to haplessly configure the various different combos for different actions which you will ultimately forget anyway. If your game takes 4 keyboards worth of keys to fulfill functions, you're doing it wrong.

Some of the controls are a bit odd, but that isn't really the problem. It is how they are managed. The squad command interface is entirely clunky and too slow to work with. Middle mouse click for opening doors is odd. The scroll wheel does too much. It changes weapons, chooses your position in a vehicle and more. And it all changes back and fourth too quickly. It will cycle through different topics while you're trying to do something which is a pain.

EDEN is a massive improvement, but still horribly lacking. You can place stuff in 3D and edit loadouts which should have been in ArmA 2. But actually doing anything else is still a pain. Everything is done via scripts and triggers, which is slow and confusing. For more advanced functions it makes sense, but not for the basic ones. Want a unit to activate when something else is dead?

Place trigger. Type:

!alive unit1 && unit 2

Drag waypoint onto said trigger. And a whole bunch of other combinations for something so simple. Hope you don't make typos. The whole trigger system is very clunky and finicky. For basic, common features it should all be automated like DCS:

wHGVZ4i.jpg

Lets take the basic pre-done triggers. Select a condition, such as Group Dead. Only groups in the actual mission will show up. No chance of making a typo. Under actions I can select which Groups will activate. And then add in a message, a sound, and many other things. It is so much easier, less cluttered, and very quick to review for errors. In EDEN you still must type all of this into a few tiny boxes and/or spread them across various triggers. And like in ArmA, advanced functions can be done via the script line. But the majority of simple triggers that most missions will feature are essentially plug and play. ArmA 3 needs to implement this.

Then there are other things where the game is still lacking. Team AI is still a bit dumb and gets lost too easily. Guns still don't have both sets of reload animations and while each weapon can have a single unique one, they're still horrible looking. Magazines will appear out of thin air, ect. Bipods/weapon resting leaves much to be desired. Switching fire modes also switches to a grenade launcher, ect.

Some good stuff was added in recent updates, EDEN and the ability to shoot from vehicles, but ArmA 3 still has a long way to go.

Some of the controls are a bit odd, but that isn't really the problem. It is how they are managed. The squad command interface is entirely clunky and too slow to work with. Middle mouse click for opening doors is odd. The scroll wheel does too much. It changes weapons, chooses your position in a vehicle and more. And it all changes back and fourth too quickly. It will cycle through different topics while you're trying to do something which is a pain.

EDEN is a massive improvement, but still horribly lacking. You can place stuff in 3D and edit loadouts which should have been in ArmA 2. But actually doing anything else is still a pain. Everything is done via scripts and triggers, which is slow and confusing. For more advanced functions it makes sense, but not for the basic ones. Want a unit to activate when something else is dead?

Place trigger. Type:

!alive unit1 && unit 2

Drag waypoint onto said trigger. And a whole bunch of other combinations for something so simple. Hope you don't make typos. The whole trigger system is very clunky and finicky. For basic, common features it should all be automated like DCS:

wHGVZ4i.jpg

Lets take the basic pre-done triggers. Select a condition, such as Group Dead. Only groups in the actual mission will show up. No chance of making a typo. Under actions I can select which Groups will activate. And then add in a message, a sound, and many other things. It is so much easier, less cluttered, and very quick to review for errors. In EDEN you still must type all of this into a few tiny boxes and/or spread them across various triggers. And like in ArmA, advanced functions can be done via the script line. But the majority of simple triggers that most missions will feature are essentially plug and play. ArmA 3 needs to implement this.

Then there are other things where the game is still lacking. Team AI is still a bit dumb and gets lost too easily. Guns still don't have both sets of reload animations and while each weapon can have a single unique one, they're still horrible looking. Magazines will appear out of thin air, ect. Bipods/weapon resting leaves much to be desired. Switching fire modes also switches to a grenade launcher, ect.

Some good stuff was added in recent updates, EDEN and the ability to shoot from vehicles, but ArmA 3 still has a long way to go.
wow...

Again, it's pretty hard to have a meaningful conversation when the statements are just blatantly false.

Back